As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed III: THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Also, concerning Haytham circa Sequence 5:
    Was I supposed to have known he was a Templar? I didn't know he was until the scene with Achilles where he shows Connor the pictures, and it super confused me until I thought back and wasn't sure whether anyone actually said anything about them being assassins.
    watch the end of sequence 3

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Also, concerning Haytham circa Sequence 5:
    Was I supposed to have known he was a Templar? I didn't know he was until the scene with Achilles where he shows Connor the pictures, and it super confused me until I thought back and wasn't sure whether anyone actually said anything about them being assassins.
    watch the end of sequence 3
    Haha, I should've been paying attention during that scene, I literally missed only that single word. I actually even remember Desmond going "Wait, what?" and being confused as to what he was confused about.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Cross-posting my thoughts from the SE++ thread
    Stopping for the night

So far, though, and I hate to say it because I really love this series, but this game has been an almost non-stop disappointment

I'm mid-sequence 5 and it just hasn't been...fun yet

Pros
    - I really like the changes made to the combat system, and the removal of medicines
    - The control changes for free-running are nice
    - The Revolutionary story is pretty interesting so far

Cons
    - Stealth is basically fucked in every sense
    - Not a lot of sidequests have opened up, at least as of yet. The minigames I've seen (the board games) are lame.
    - Hunting is boring and not fun
    - Glitchy as fuck. I'm seeing guards stuck in walls everywhere I go.
    - Forest free-running is not at all what I thought it would be. In the state it's in, it doesn't seem to be of much use at all other than hunting (which isn't fun)

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm seeing a load of glitches. Like the captain of the ship not moving his mouth during an entire scene, even though he was yelling orders.

Still very fun so far, and I haven't gotten more than an hour in. I really love the history blurbs in these games. So informative!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Didn't get to play this game last night, but will play it when I get home from work today. At least I have AssThreed installed to my 360 now.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So, my power is back on.

Amazon delayed my shipment of Limited Edition and Liberation. It's now scheduled for Friday.

I have the rest of the week off. I'm considering refusing delivery of this shipment on Friday and just buying this on PSN. Is it worth going through all that pain for this? I mean, I'd rather play the game while I have off.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So I'm hearing Liberation is pretty much pants. Is that true?

• Options
    Is pants good or bad?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bad. Bad pants.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Why are pants bad? I'm not wearing any at the moment, but I don't understand the connection.

Anyway, I'm on the line with Amazon. Going to refuse my shipment and buy this on PSN. Way cheaper this way too. LE didn't have much going for it, I save $10 overall, and I don't pay tax. Win win.

edit: I miss out on the preorder bonuses but whatever. Do I have to buy the Benedict Arnold missions? I thought they were included...

Drez on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Not sure, but I'm thinking pants is a shortened form of "pants-on-head-retarded", which would be bad.

As for ACIII, I'm liking it so far, but I'm only through sequence 2 ATM, and haven't even gotten to Connor yet.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So, now that people are playing it...

Spoiler-free Desmond impressions, please?

(*edit: More accurately, is the whole 2012/TWCB plotline satisfying?)
    (*editedit: Is the Lucy thing answered in AC3?)

Houn on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    edit: I miss out on the preorder bonuses but whatever. Do I have to buy the Benedict Arnold missions? I thought they were included...

The code is on the back of the not-manual in the box.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    The desmond sequences are great this time. He actually gets to run and jump and do stuff around the area. Important stuff too from what i can tell.

Something i need to ask though, does anyone know how to link my Gamestop purchased season pass with my PS3 version? I don't have a code on any of my reciepts...anyone?

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Oh my God these first few sequences
    Forget Connor I want to play as this guy the whole game

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Not sure, but I'm thinking pants is a shortened form of "pants-on-head-retarded", which would be bad.

It's a UK thing. I've no idea on the source though. It just a politer way of saying "shit" or "crap".

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Oh my God these first few sequences
    Forget Connor I want to play as this guy the whole game

Wait for it...

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Both AC3 and LIberation have turned up at work for me today :D

3 more hours!

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

As for ACIII, I'm liking it so far, but I'm only through sequence 2 ATM, and haven't even gotten to Connor yet.
    I always presumed pants was a polite way of saying something was "ass" because well... what do pants cover up?

@Houn, the Lucy thing is covered in 'The Lost Archive' DLC for Revelations. And no, the characters aren't saying a word about it, which I suppose you could handwave as "it is an EXTREMELY uncomfortable and horrible topic to think about" but there MUST be something said about the issue before the end or I'll be put out.

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    So... there's a ton of bugs. I mean, everybody will probably encounter a floating gun within the first two sequences. That's dumb, but nothing Battlefield hasn't shown us before. But there's other stuff. I continue to get the glitch where the voice acting hitches up and then continues after a second (I've been seeing that one since Davinci Disappearance actually). Oh and this is more stupid than a glitch, but why the fuck did they program the "follow a target" ally to be so stupidly pushy and aggressive? Like, you'll be sharing a hiding spot and he'll straight up throw you to the ground because he NEEDS TO RUN NOW OMGGG and then he takes out like 6 screaming civilians as he continues barreling off like a madman. Nice umm, stealth there captain. And the "pick up bodies" thing is COMPLETELY broken. I don't know what they did, but you have like a 30% chance or less to grab the dude when you're standing right on top of him. And somewhat similarly, you have to be really precise to talk to people. If you walk too close, your idiot dude treats the other person like a wall and starts taking cover on his body...

Like in Sequence 2
    what is up with the free the captives mission? It tells you to kill the general and do three 'around the corner' assassinations as optionals. I didn't see the general, so I just killed the corner dudes and freed the captives, assuming I'd see him before the mission was out. Except there's the sound of gunshots and just craziness during the cutscene that triggers after I free the last group. When it cuts back, I've been Resident Evil 6'd. The enemies and my friendly group and me have started a BIG TIME fight before I ever saw what was happening and it says I failed the 'kill the general' bit. WTFFFF

Still, there's some bits of typical Assassin awesomeness too. The Encyclopedia entries are a lot of fun, but apparently spoilery? (@unbreakableVow, Could you say which specific one is a spoiler and we'll just not read that one? They're too much fun to skip altogether.) I also like Rebecca's software update (new features to the series) being posted exactly like DICE or Bioware would have done.

(Story time) After finishing a mission, I was just standing in the middle of the road as the Animus reloaded stuff. An officer decided that I was totally in his way and shoved me. Ha ha ha, I've seen too many cutscenes with this guy to not react the way I know he would. Don't push me bro *stabby death*. Turn and see the two companies of musket troops this man was clearly leading on patrol. Ah... hrm. 2 minutes later. "That escalated quickly." "Yes... yes it did." After looting all the bodies, I paused to pet the friendly neighborhood dog and continued on my merry way.

Regarding your spoiler bits:
    From when you start, turn to the right after your guys kill the officer from the haystack. The general will have a red circle above his head when you spot him. That area is also one of the best to do the behind corner kills since you have all those tents and it is more spread out.

It took me an hour or so, but then the NEXT section has you avoid musket fire. That was a huge pain in the ass. That took another half hour to figure out and avoid. Also it got glitchy.

It seems that when an infantry line is readying to fire on you, it tries to force a stance or mode on your. If you try to run, you will alternate between two animations and bounce around stangely. Whats worse, it seems that the yellow warning icons on the infantry disappear.

It is really fucking annoying to get to the end of the mission on the ramparts, glitch out and wonder why you never saw the warnings of the line fire AGAIN as your guy just bounces around.
    But then I got full synchronization and it was all well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Regarding full sync, do you need to do every objective on a single run, or do you just need to do them all across however many runs you do?

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

It's a UK thing. I've no idea on the source though. It just a politer way of saying "shit" or "crap".

No wonder they're called "trousers" over there, then.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Kinda shocked at some of the synch objectives you guys are having trouble with.

General protip: when guards line up and get yellow triangles, run up to the nearest enemy and hit X (PS3) or A (I'm assuming, 360). Human shield.

• Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular

I always presumed pants was a polite way of saying something was "ass" because well... what do pants cover up?

@Houn, the Lucy thing is covered in 'The Lost Archive' DLC for Revelations. And no, the characters aren't saying a word about it, which I suppose you could handwave as "it is an EXTREMELY uncomfortable and horrible topic to think about" but there MUST be something said about the issue before the end or I'll be put out.

I think Desmond mentions it in a roundabout way at one point.
    After sequence 3, when he is complaining to his dad he says something about really liking someone but it being part of another Templar plot twist or something like that. It seemed to me that he was talking about Lucy.

Also, regarding the end of sequence 3
    I'd say I called he was a Templar about 5 seconds before it was revealed. I was wondering why he had no white hoodie on at all or why he didn't say any of the normal Assassin lines. I liked the twist because it shows the Templars are as dangerous as the Assassins. Playing as an Assassin, you pretty much destroy the Templars and I always wondered how they've managed to stay ahead for so long after getting beaten down at every turn.

• Options
    Shaggy wrote: »

I think Desmond mentions it in a roundabout way at one point.
    After sequence 3, when he is complaining to his dad he says something about really liking someone but it being part of another Templar plot twist or something like that. It seemed to me that he was talking about Lucy.

Also, regarding the end of sequence 3
    I'd say I called he was a Templar about 5 seconds before it was revealed. I was wondering why he had no white hoodie on at all or why he didn't say any of the normal Assassin lines. I liked the twist because it shows the Templars are as dangerous as the Assassins. Playing as an Assassin, you pretty much destroy the Templars and I always wondered how they've managed to stay ahead for so long after getting beaten down at every turn.

Regarding the sequence 3 spoiler:
    I called it way early due to that Lee guy. I saw one of the trailers with young Connor talking to him. I don't think his name was ever given but I recognized him. I do think it's funny that everyone just assumes that Haytham is an Assassin because all Desmond's ancestors must be I guess?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    funniest glitch I've had: connor's arms got stuck to his side, but I could still kill people with ghost arms. he just shook his torso at people and they exploded in blood.

• Options
    Do I want Frame Packed or Inficolor? I'm not sure what the differences are.

Also, I like Liberation so far. It's a little bit janky but seems to run well once you get past the intro. I like it. Not very far into it yet but that's okay.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    funniest glitch I've had: connor's arms got stuck to his side, but I could still kill people with ghost arms. he just shook his torso at people and they exploded in blood.

Oh shit.

250px-Phantom_Limb.png

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options

Also, I like Liberation so far. It's a little bit janky but seems to run well once you get past the intro. I like it. Not very far into it yet but that's okay.

Inficolor requires special purple/green glasses and can be used without a 3DTV.
    Frame packing is what you use if you have a 3DTV.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So, wait, they're REALLY going to keep that bit buried in a DLC pack? That's sort of pretty fucking important to the story, and only completely defined the ending of AssBro, and they're content with leaving it resolved and segregated to a piece of fucking DLC?!?

God Fucking DAMMIT, Ubisoft! I am this goddamn close to instituting a blanket ban on all Ubi published games.

• Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    Spoiler for Lucy Stuff
    After you do the first 'Desmond out of Animus' mission in Manhattan, you can talk to your Dad back at the vault, and one of the lines is about how the Templars got to and turned Lucy. That is the only actual reference to her I've seen so far

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I wonder if Kristen Bell just didn't feel like doing AC stuff anymore.

• Options

Inficolor requires special purple/green glasses and can be used without a 3DTV.
    Frame packing is what you use if you have a 3DTV.

Thanks!

Not sure I want to play in 3D. Seems a bit darker and I fucking hate wearing glasses but I guess we'll see. I'll play through a few more chapters with it.

3D is kinda nifty though.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I wonder if Kristen Bell just didn't feel like doing AC stuff anymore.

It's not like she's really doing anything else! Lots of cameos/small roles in nameless stuff.

Also, as far as Liberation goes... it's an Assassin's Creed game on a handheld, with things appropriately scaled back for that medium. Missions are shorter, framerate can slow down. There are some cool features, and regardless it's a full-featured AC game, a first on handhelds. It's very good in that regard and the gameplay is very tight, world looks awesome. Looking forward to finding out more about what went on down in this region at the same time (roughly) as AC3.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I hope AssLib sells well because I'm excited to see what they can do in the future, being that it's essentially still a first-wave Vita game and they haven't mastered the platform like they have the HD twins

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Okay...so what are the chances of

*mid-game spoilers*
    Juno not totally setting us up and being all crazy.

The more she talks to me the less and less I'm thinking that's likely.

I swear this is
    why you never listen to cryptic precursor races.

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    So, wait, they're REALLY going to keep that bit buried in a DLC pack? That's sort of pretty fucking important to the story, and only completely defined the ending of AssBro, and they're content with leaving it resolved and segregated to a piece of fucking DLC?!?

God Fucking DAMMIT, Ubisoft! I am this goddamn close to instituting a blanket ban on all Ubi published games.

What in the heck are you talking about?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Just got to Boston. The intro was pretty awesome and the little factoid things in your database are actually pretty funny.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Just got to Boston. The intro was pretty awesome and the little factoid things in your database are actually pretty funny.

I do have to say...I love how Shaun pokes fun at how hypocritical a lot of the Founding Fathers were.

I also like how he constantly adds in "and it never happened again" to stuff that happens all the time.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    About that video.

The "taunting penalty" and the throw n stab can be used to slaughter whole groups of people.

How it works: throw two low ranking guys near each other. Stab em on the ground quick in low profile. While you are doing it quickly rotate the camera. One of the guys near you will cower or show a "taunting penalty" animation. Rubbing legs, looking around wildly, etc.
    Quickly hold high profile, jog up to him, (do NOT lock on to anyone!) let go of high profile and low profile stab him in the gut. Simply press the direction stick towards him and press the blade attack to stab him without needing to lock on. You need to get to him before his animation runs out. He wont block it as long as he is still in the cowering/leg rubbing/freaking out animation.
    While the stabbing animation is playing out, turn the camera and watch for another low ranking guy to start cowering. He is your next target. Repeat the above on him.
    If someone comes too close or your target is a bit too far away do a very quick double tap of jump to hop towards him. This will give you some evasion/invincibility frames (I never worked out which one it was) and avoid incoming attacks.
    Keep on doing this until you run out of lowbie guys. The next "rank" of guys with more armor on will start cowering. Repeat the process with them. Eventually you will be able to kill higher ranking guys. You will even be able to throw guys who normally break your grab, once you get to a certain point they are so afraid of you they wont attack you and wont try to break your grab. This will continue as long as you don't break your streak. You are basically riding the window of "shock" caused by your rapid killing that is stunning everyone around you. After a while they wont even swing at you as you jog to the next target, as long as you don't take too long or let the animation run out.

If you happen to pass a "higher rank" guy who decides to taunt you, stab him. It will break the morale of the group faster, especially if you manage to stab your original target before you got sidetracked quickly after. If you get grabbed by anyone, try to break the grab and stab them on the ground quickly. If you do it fast enough you wont lose your "shock" effect on the rest of the group. If you manage to do this to enough high ranking guys fast enough the lower ones will often break and run.

I once killed a group of people using this technique so fast I saw a thing I had never seen before. While the rest of their friends fled, two guys broke down completely and fell to their knees, apparently praying to god out of sheer terror of Altair. I was able to casually walk around them for a bit and they didn't react, just kept praying and begging and pleading and mumbling incoherently. I had broken their mind and spirit completely.
    So I showed them mercy and delivered them release from their terror. Executed them both in high profile from behind.

This "broken down" state, as an animation, was removed in ac2 and brotherhood. I don't know about revelations. I bet most people who play AC1 have never even seen that animation.

Very interesting. While we're here, is there a use for the short blade? Seems to lack the neat features and instakills of the hidden blade and the defense of the longsword, without much in return.

Edit: Also, how do I get combo kills to work? I can pull them off no problem in the practice sessions, but doesn't seem to work against real guards.

Combo-kills have some timing involved. You don't just mash attack, that will kill enemies with regular moves. You have to get three hits in a row, then, for the fourth attack, press square at the exact moment your blade makes contact with the enemy's/slightly after the blades separate (I think they spark too). That's the window. So the rhythm is tink-tink-tink-TINK.

Many combo kills have unique animations in AC1, and several of them you have to keep pressing attack once you trigger. One hidden knife shortblade combo ends with two elbow strikes to the face, and a slit throat.

The short blade has a more forgiving timing window for counter attacks, but does less damage than the sword. The sword is a good balance between normal attacking, defense, and counter kills. The hidden blade has ZERO defense, and a super tiny counter window, but it will one hit kill ANYTHING in the game.

Which is why most people just turtle, combo attacking takes some timing.

Thanks to you and Morninglord, finally starting to get the hang of it, though still clumsy, part of it was that I wasn't recognizing successes for what they were. The tutorial made it seem like one hit was enough.
    Not really comfortable with the number of people I've killed, and why. Sometimes, that seems like what they intended, a lot of times it doesn't.

Aside: Can you read Walter Vidics Computer? Doesn't seem like it.

Yep, there are several... opportunities to steal an object that will get you access to that computer. Check through the emails to see what you need to steal.

Some very interesting story material if you can access that computer. It's also needed to access a secret room available only after the credits roll, so make sure the game saves post credits and that you have the required object. You can miss it and be locked out permanently.