As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new STEAM thread there's a sale going on doncha know

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    signature.png

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Woo! Fear 3 has hit a flash sale! Can't wait to get home.

Aaaaaaand @DoctorArch beat me to it. What a classhole.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Looks like I was one of the roughly 20% of entrants who win a copy of Natural Selection 2 in that huge Steamgifts giveaway.

Having played it a little, I sure am glad I didn't pay money for it.
    Sometimes you have the weirdest opinions. What in the world did you dislike about NS2? That game is basically my GOTY.

Start it up. Watch some tutorial videos. Videos inform me if I use the quick join function it should put me in a populated server with good ping. Fair enough.

Use quick join, spend 2 minutes while shaders inititalize and precaching happens or something. Get to the ready room. 0 other players in the server. Alright...

Disconnect. Open up the server browser again. See a server with 14/16 players that purports to be "rookie friendly." Connect, get to the ready room. Get kicked. Alright...

Open up the server browser again. About 5 servers showing in the browser with any player population at all, but I try quick join again. Third time is the charm apparently, I finally get connected to a populated server where I don't get unceremoniously kicked for no reason. Join the marine side. Run around generic-looking gray space facility corridors. Shoot at some "cyst" things which improbably take most of a 50-round magazine to pop. Suddenly, aliens appear! The aliens look like gray reptilian hellhound things, sorta, and they bounce around the screen like the most irritating Counter-Strike strafe bunny-hoppers you've ever seen, and they also take most of a clip to kill but they kill me in roughly two bites.

OK, well, inauspicious start, but let's stick with it a little while. So I respawn and run around the gray corridors some more. Occasionally manage to kill an alien player by frantically backpedaling and spraying, get insta-chomped about twice as often. None of the power node/building construction/resource management stuff described in the tutorial videos seems to be happening, nor does anybody seem to have any interest in it. Another player on my team idly wonders "What the hell our commander is doing?" I get a couple of messages telling me things have been researched, like "armor level 1," which perhaps if I had equipped myself with it would have allowed me to survive three alien nibbles instead of two. Nobody on my team seems to be any class besides the basic assault rifle-toting infantryman, and nobody on the alien team seems to be anything besides the hopping chompy lizard-hounds.

After about 10 minutes I get bored and disconnect.

I guess maybe this could be fun if you were in an organized team on Vent, and got into a match where both sides had intelligent, engaged people in the Commander role and the resource/building mechanics came into play but my impression is that isn't a likely scenario.

If other people see something I don't and like it that's cool though.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    In case anyone's curious, $7.50 is still a bit too much to pay for Deadlight.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »

Thanks for the information. In your opinion what would be a good price for it?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular

Thank you for saving me $7.50. I was contemplating it.

Note: FEAR series is really a blast and has great horror atmospheric fun. Buy the whole series, turn off the lights and have a blast.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    CURSES! I'VE BEEN BAD RATS'D BY THAT CUR @iRevert! Also, thanks for KotOR 2 :D

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So I was contemplating picking up Saints Row or something else, when BAM

Ten year anniversary present from the Classy @DoctorArch
    F3AR.jpg

There will be much shooting, probably. Also wandering around in the dark.

• Options
    Idx86 wrote: »

Thank you for saving me $7.50. I was contemplating it.

Note: FEAR series is really a blast and has great horror atmospheric fun. Buy the whole series, turn off the lights and have a blast.

Agreed so hard. But it's unfortunate that the first one is so awesome, because the second and third, while still good, do not reach the really high level of the first game.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    So I was contemplating picking up Saints Row or something else, when BAM

Ten year anniversary present from the Classy @DoctorArch
    F3AR.jpg

There will be much shooting, probably. Also wandering around in the dark.

The anniversary was close enough for giving you crusty old moogle. :D

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I actually thought FEAR was decent but nothing wonderful until the last hour or two. Then holy fucking shit, did it escalate quickly. I've got the other two in my backlog, waiting to be devoured by my free time.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    OK, using the Bad Rats stick to encourage people to not hesitate on buying a good game is by far the most insidious and genius thing I've seen.

Oh the best part is that I lulled him into a state of relief when he got a gift of something other than badrats that he wanted. Then as soon as I saw his status go to away knowing he had started the download and walked away to get himself a drink to steady his nerves thinking he had dodged the bad rats bullet well....my hysterical laughter was great as I was doing it and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    @DoctorArch gifted me Portal 2! That was approximately a hundred pages ago that I even mentioned anything about it. pure_class.png

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    And @Mike Danger gifts me Jet Set/Grind Radio! Woohoo! I used to own this back for the Dreamcast but I never got very far, I'm so excited!

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    So is the Thief collection worth 7 bucks?
    If you like first person sneakers, yeah.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Holy Shit guy Farm Sim 13?! How did I miss this?

why are these even on here

*edit* ok, my bbcode attempt to make the font small really just blew up in my face, how do you make the font tiny?

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Holy Shit guy Farm Sim 13?! How did I miss this?

why are these even on here

*edit* ok, my bbcode attempt to make the font small really just blew up in my face, how do you make the font tiny?

@Sir Carcass has expounded on just this topic before. He says they're a blast to play if you're into sims.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

signature.png

Final minutes!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    So is the Thief collection worth 7 bucks?
    If you like first person sneakers, yeah.

They're quite possibly the best in their genre, which to me is enough of a reason to try them.

• Options
    Joe BlaqueJoe Blaque Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    So @darunia106 decided to hit me with Dustforce so I could clean up the muck of the world in acrobatic style.

Well played, sir.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Reminder for anyone who's really into the Thief games or gets into them via the Thief Collection

There is a REALLY well done mod for Doom 3 where you play as Not-Garrett in Not-The-City. Most of the levels I've played are amazingly well designed, easily as polished as an actual Thief game, just without the narrative that ties all the levels together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_xcaL7YthE

If you beat Thief 3 and want more, especially if you miss Rope Arrows, this is for you. One of the most polished mods I've ever played, and it makes Doom 3 worth owning.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    signature.png

Winner was @slappybag. Sent.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Just found out that Doom 3 BFG has ALL the Doom games, not just a remake of Doom 3. Totally picking that up when it gets a bit cheaper. That's a great bundle.

sig.gif

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Thanks to everyone who recommended Dungeons of Dredmor earlier. I went ahead and picked that up since even if it does go on sale it won't be for much less than the current $2.50 pack.

It's a blast. Death, death, death, and then a monster zoo the first time I reach level 2.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Man, I've missed most of this sale by way of family reunion and Thanksgiving.

So, I'm thankful I'm home and can buy games I don't really need because I must buy more games.

The Newell told me thus in a dream on the plane ride home.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Hey guys!

I found a picture of @APODionysus!

klpHf.jpg

What a guy.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Reminder for anyone who's really into the Thief games or gets into them via the Thief Collection

There is a REALLY well done mod for Doom 3 where you play as Not-Garrett in Not-The-City. Most of the levels I've played are amazingly well designed, easily as polished as an actual Thief game, just without the narrative that ties all the levels together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_xcaL7YthE

If you beat Thief 3 and want more, especially if you miss Rope Arrows, this is for you. One of the most polished mods I've ever played, and it makes Doom 3 worth owning.

Last I knew it didn't play nice with the BFG Edition, so buyer be advised.

I wrapped up The Walking Dead tonight. God damn...just, god damn...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who recommended Dungeons of Dredmor earlier. I went ahead and picked that up since even if it does go on sale it won't be for much less than the current $2.50 pack.

It's a blast. Death, death, death, and then a monster zoo the first time I reach level 2.

I have now gifted out 33 copies of that game to date. It is awesome. PROOF.

Also, time for some Thank Yous

@Daringdirk for Analogue: A Hate Story and The Basement Collection

@elin for The Void

@anoffday for Unmechanical

And

@AerynKelly for Mark of the Ninja

You guys are full of class!

ALSO!!! I GOT THE DARK SOULS SALE! I didnt miss it! YAY! Installing now!

• Options
    aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

I have now gifted out 33 copies of that game to date. It is awesome. PROOF.

Also, time for some Thank Yous

@Daringdirk for Analogue: A Hate Story and The Basement Collection

@elin for The Void

@anoffday for Unmechanical

And

@AerynKelly for Mark of the Ninja

You guys are full of class!

ALSO!!! I GOT THE DARK SOULS SALE! I didnt miss it! YAY! Installing now!

and thank you for They Bleed Pixels!

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Also a thanks to @APODionysus for some To the Moon action.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Ugh Steam I hate you so much. I still have Witcher 2, Skyrim, Metro 2033, both Red Factions, both Bioshocks, and all the Crysis games (after the first one) still on my queue. I hate you so much. I refuse to buy any games this year. REFUSE.

...except KOTOR 2. DAMN YOU STEAM I'M NOT EVEN GONNA PLAY THIS GAME AGAIN AND YOU KNOW IT.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Boo, that syndicate deal on gamefly is only available to US/Canada. Anyone want something around that price on steam and care to do a trade?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, the gifting action is only going to ramp up for Xmas.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If you give me witcher 2 you won't have it on your queue anymore

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I keep going back and forth with myself on Sleeping Dogs. I think I have talked myself out of it. May weaken when it shows up in Winter Sales.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    It's so good though.

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Really, really good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Is it me or has this sale been kind of lame so far? Maybe I just own all the actual good stuff they've been putting on sale already :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Thanks for the information. In your opinion what would be a good price for it?

$5 if you really like 2.5D platformers and have a high tolerance for annoying cheap bullshit game design that forces you to have split-second reflexes (and luck) or be forced to replay the same sections over and over again.

$2.50 or less if you just like platformers.

It's pretty, and it has a cool concept (which goes really sideways for the middle third of the game, going from zombie apocalypse to "hey, let's have a giant sewer level with all kinds of Saw-like deathtraps for no reason"), but it's super short and rather frustrating, and not in a good way.

Idx86 wrote: »
    Just found out that Doom 3 BFG has ALL the Doom games, not just a remake of Doom 3. Totally picking that up when it gets a bit cheaper. That's a great bundle.

I'm pretty sure the cheapest way to pick up any of the older Id games is to wait for QuakeCon, since there's always a huge Steam sale on all things Id to celebrate.

Lawndart on