As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

you jammin'

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited January 2013 in Social Entropy++
it's the global game jam this weekend. i helped set up the vancouver edition yesterday - the location with the most devs in one room worldwide! - and it was real fun + cool. i was looking forward to starting work on a game today buti'm sick so i'm doing it at home.

are you an Ideas Guy? are you Looking For Programmers And Artists And Other Jokers With No Ideas To Implement Yours

Well I'm Not Going To But Post About It Here Anyway

http://youtu.be/h_lTq6XL-AE

Orikaeshigitae on

• Options
    Being Sick Hella Sucks

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Sickness smells. Not as bad as this woman in my store who obviously is not homeless but still stinks to high heaven, but pretty bad.

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I was at a party yesterday and it was being thrown in a basement that was incredibly cold

ladies love that shivering, though (?)

e: oh yeah, I woke up this morning feeling useless and it took me over an hour to realize that I was sick and not hung over

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i would want to make a poison dart frog wargame

each frog would have its own ability, move your frogs around on a grid or a hex map, fight other frogs

shame i'm no good at coding/am impatient as hell when i tried dealing with the various types of coding i've tried, heh

• Options
    poison dart frogs are cute and colorful and i really like them so yeah

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I wanna jam it wit' you

• Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    There's a jam at George Mason University round these parts that some people went to.

• Options
    the lack of on-topic in this thread sustains me.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i would want to make a poison dart frog wargame

each frog would have its own ability, move your frogs around on a grid or a hex map, fight other frogs

shame i'm no good at coding/am impatient as hell when i tried dealing with the various types of coding i've tried, heh

lady we live in An Age Of Easy Tools And Frameworks

get a gamemaker trial or some shit, rip off the assets from frog fractions and get some shit DONE

• Options
    for real,stop consciously talking yourself out of things and suddenly you feel better about your abilities

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Sickness smells. Not as bad as this woman in my store who obviously is not homeless but still stinks to high heaven, but pretty bad.

pretty stinky sis

• Options
    @bogey could you disallow reactions in this thread please (though i appreciate it, people who liked my 'i dislike being sick' post)

i would like this thread to be about Making Things And Posts

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    how on earth do the reactions deter that

• Options
    mully wrote: »
    posting just to get reactions i'd guess, as opposed to actually doing something functional

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    we be jammin man

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    doing something functional often warrants reactions

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, enable hyper reactions.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rorus Raz. Allowing reactions in this thread.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    what

sig.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    ...hyper reactions?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Overreactions?

OVERREACTIONS!??!?!

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

bath1_zps47685803-1_zps5e1ce3cb.jpg

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I downloaded game mker earlier this week

For now I'm just fiddling with tutorials and learning what everything does but I am pretty confident that ill be able to do something with it

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I don't know if there is even a game jam site in my town but I'm away from my computer visiting my in-laws anyways.

Which ironically means this has been the most productive brainstorming time I've had in a while.

Currently bouncing around martial arts card duelling mechanics.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

8->

• Options
    mully wrote: »

i think reactions are a very low-effort way to interact with things

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    They cut down on stupid shit like "QFT," empty quoting, "agreein' wit dis," and the dreaded "liming."

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Trying to make my guy go up stairs.
    Accidentally added to his velocity instead of setting it.

He's in space now.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Some of my friends are taking part in the RVA game jam (it's still in progress right?) Kellee Santiago from thatgamecompany came to give an opening talk.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I downloaded game mker earlier this week

For now I'm just fiddling with tutorials and learning what everything does but I am pretty confident that ill be able to do something with it

Thanks for believing in me, geth

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I want to try and do tactical combat on the single-unit level, breaking a fight down to individual attacks and parries. Card mechanics would allow for tricks & feints, and like the combination of uncertainty of what your opponent has and what you will draw, with the knowledge of what you could do with the cards in your hand.

• Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    I have dreams of video games I wish were made: super RPG's that have so much content and quests and ways to do things that it would take thousands of people coding forever to get all the things I want to do in them. Maybe someday.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Fuck ya i love jam!

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Come on and program
    and welcome to the jam

Unity's given out some Pro trials if you want to jam
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/01/18/global-game-jam-2013/

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Like dwarf fortress level of content, but with actual graphics and being a game like Baldurs gate/arcanum/fallout 1-2/planescape torment.

• Options
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »
    I have dreams of video games I wish were made: super RPG's that have so much content and quests and ways to do things that it would take thousands of people coding forever to get all the things I want to do in them. Maybe someday.

The only way that is going to happen (and you're hitting on it by referencing Dwarf Fortress) would be to have the game generate content/quests/stories procedurally

I dream of this as well... some day...

• Options
    The worst part about my dreams is waking up and realizing that, no, these games don't exist.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    dont we already have a game development thread
    it seems weird to have two threads for one fairly niche thing

• Options
    game dev thread is defunct. this one will only last this weekend, if that, because it's about making things over a weekend

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »

The only way that is going to happen (and you're hitting on it by referencing Dwarf Fortress) would be to have the game generate content/quests/stories procedurally

I dream of this as well... some day...

I've prototyped a few of these kinds of things. It's a thorny problem - both Robert "Radiator" Yang and Aaron Reed have/are trying their hand at it.

I'm not sure how feasible it is. Someone is going to come out with a procedurally generated story game in the next few years, I guarantee it, but as Yang says, games like Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress succeed because of talented player-storytellers, not because the game itself tells stories. The game's events are essentially noise, since they don't have any significance in and of themselves. They only take on meaning when given a narrative by a storyteller.

I'm gonna have fun playing with the idea, though.