As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] now with single artists near you ($0.99/minute)

• Options
    TheJoeTheJoe Registered User regular
    I have known several people active in the gaming industry over the past decade. The lack of job security and repetitive stress of the job hunt cycle I've seen them go through scares the living crap out of me, and I'm glad I didn't follow that dream many years ago.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    So i'm reading about how THQ went bankrupt with the Class 11 file, and I find it astounding how such a giant could die so damn quick.

Out of all the industries out there, it always seems like the video game ones die the quickest. It just takes one bad product to murder entire studios! I remember when this happened earlier to a few veterans here who used to work for one.

That's gotta be so frustrating to deal with.

Things also may seem quick to outsiders, but it may've been a slow decline internally, too :\

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    THQ has been on and off the chopping block for like two years, its not as abrupt as the last month or so may make it out to be.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    As Iruka said, THQ has been clearly on the rocks for a while.

As horrible as 38's death was, I think I prefered how quick it was over rather than being in a fog of uncertainty and low moral for as long as THQ has been.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    EqwKarc.jpg

Every once in a while a picture captures your imagination and inspires you. This one did for me. Here's some information about it

ninjai on
  • Options
    SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    Is there really no way to import formatted text from photoshop to indesign? Seriously?

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    What do you mean "formatted", like with a text style? If so, no.

Good news! You can set up some Character and Paragraph styles in Indesign (even add keyboard shortcuts to activate them) to help you speed up the whole process.

• Options
    I mean like bringing text in from photoshop and maintaining all the of the font information, like size differences, tracking and leading etc. It just seems so absurd that ID can't interpret any of that information from another Adobe program. Bleh.

• Options
    Can you convert the text layer to a smart object and drag it into indesign?

• Options

I would not recommend this approach. It would be better in the long run to recreate it, as you will have a lighter file and searchable text. Also, InDesign has given me issues with transparencies showing their edges on print or when exported as a low resolution PDF.

I still love InDesign.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    I just wanted to come in here and complain about carpal tunnel.

Shits real. Gotta have steroid injections into my wrist and if that doesn't work surgery.

grumpin.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    D: dang Wakka. That with a stylus, or from using a mouse?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    D: dang Wakka. That with a stylus, or from using a mouse?

Pretty sure my stylus. I don't use my mouse that often even for every day computer things.

apparently I lost a lot of hand strength from the nerve damage (or whatever it is)

wakkawa on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Fuck wakk. Really sorry to hear that, had the same thing happen. Those steroid hand shots help a ton though, best of luck recovering.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, that is some gnarly shit for an artist. Hope everything gets better, Wakk.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    How can tablet use cause carpal tunnel?

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Using your wrist a lot. Mine wasn't carpal tunnel, it was Tendonitis, and it never got better, but that's mainly because I couldn't afford to keep up with the steroid treatments. It's basically the same theme though, even holding the stylus that much (grip), depending on where your arm/hand are in comparison to your body can cause it. Doesn't happen to everybody, but it's pretty common.

Also carpal tunnel (from what I've heard) tends to be a little more curable.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    When you use your tablet, do you guys move your arm or wrist? I tand to move my whole arm.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    wrist

• Options
    edited February 2013

I would not recommend this approach. It would be better in the long run to recreate it, as you will have a lighter file and searchable text. Also, InDesign has given me issues with transparencies showing their edges on print or when exported as a low resolution PDF.

I still love InDesign.
    I don't mind InDesign. I'm just used to having PS and Illustrator being all buddy-buddy and then ID is like "I'm not part of this system!" I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm spoiled.

Also, damn Wakka. That's rough. Hope you can get that all fixed up.

Sonic on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Dang Wakka, good luck with your recovery. Are you getting accommodated at work at all?

• Options
    Thanks dudes. At work I have a cintiq which is a lot more comfortable to paint on than my small tablet I have at home.

• Options
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Thanks dudes. At work I have a cintiq which is a lot more comfortable to paint on than my small tablet I have at home.

Yeah the cintiq at work means I move my arm more than I move my wrist. My hand hurts like hell when drawing at home on my little intuos for any length of time. Its one of the main reasons I want to get a cintiq for home.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Did anyone end up buying one of those Yinova tablets, or has had a chance to test one out?

Flay on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    Did anyone end up buying one of those Yinova tablets, or has had a chance to test one out?

I am also very interested in this

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Yeah, My only experience is from the blog review, and I'm sure Frenden is reliable, but id like to hear more.

• Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    If any of you take the leap, be sure to get the MSP19U (though it's currently out of stock on Amazon), not the plain ol' MSP19. The former is the one with the UC Logic digitizer, as I understand it. I've been using a Monoprice tablet with the UC Logic tech, and I really dig it.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    Welp, I'm probably going to need a new monitor in the near future anyway. I might give it a shot and let you guys know, although I've never touched a cintiq so I wouldn't be able to compare them.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was seriously debating it but decided I couldn't afford the splurge right now. Also, I wasn't sure where to get my hands on one in Aus. Let me know if you find out, Flay.

• Options
    The only one in Australia I've seen so far is going for $700 on eBay, but if I spot one anywhere else I'll let you know.

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    AoB telling me about lighting sent me looking for good references. I found this:

http://www.scott-eaton.com/category/bodies-in-motion

All free!

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    Whoa, great find!

• Options
    edited February 2013
    A friend of mine just forwarded me a zip file with 40 something emails that I had sent him 10-12 years ago. It is very teenage angsty adult swim type humor. I thought it was hillarious then, now, I see was like any teenager on Facebook.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Man, I'm sad. Fender is closing down my favorite guitar company, Hamer. I managed to snag a 2006 korina standard about a year back and I almost can't play anything else the quality is that high. Now I have to start looking for another brand. I've heard Dean USA models are pretty good for the price.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Schechter.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    Man Wakk, sorry about your hand.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Interloper from the PAX threads here. Cookie Brigadier and one of many volunteer PAX Community Event Coordinators.

I'm looking for an artist who specializes in authentic 40's style pinups to do some paid work. The artwork will be used for liquor bottle labels for a Craft Distillery in Seattle. I've worked with three artists off Craigslist so far, but nobody has been able to deliver an authentic 40's pinup look (think Elvgren, Vargas, and similar), so reaching out to the PA artist community seemed like a logical step.

What's needed is someone who can do a pinup that looks like she just stepped off the pages of a WW2 magazine; that means both understanding the qualities that make an authentic period look, and having the technical chops to pull it off (ie: portraiture, not vector art).

We're on a timeline for the existing illustration and current labels, but I'm hoping to find someone for long-term work who really 'gets' the style and can come on sometime in the future to redo the current illustration and develop the rest of the product line pinup girls. There's plenty of time to find the right person, and it's not going to be immediate work.

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post your response on the public thread. Thanks much!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Pin up girls of that quality is no small order. I don't know what your budget is, but it may be time to approach artists who already display the skill you need to meet your standard, and ask for their rates. Maybe some of our pretty lady drawing members will have an interest, though.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's been part of the problem: so far, the artists I've worked with really don't understand how technically difficult that style is until they've invested 20 hours and it's not right. I've looked online without much success and am hunting around a couple of diffent ways, but there is some really amazing talent in this forum and hopefully I'll get a lead to someone who's interested.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I second Iruka's suggestion; check out the doodle thread or check through the forum for artists who definitely have the chops and then approach them directly. Also our members come and go sporadically so a PM or email will probably be a better contact method, because posts in here could be missed.

This discussion has been closed.