• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    ronya, that link does not work

also what degree do you have in econ

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm reading some more Nellie Bly articles
    220px-Nellie_Bly_2.jpg
    Girl gets herself committed to an asylum by just acting slightly crazy until the police pick her up and send her to an institution

I love the way she writes dialogue:
    "Come here, girl, and lift your veil," called out Judge Duffy, in tones which surprised me by a harshness which I did not think from the kindly face he possessed.

"Who are you speaking to?" I inquired, in my stateliest manner.

"Come here, my dear, and lift your veil. You know the Queen of England, if she were here, would have to lift her veil," he said, very kindly.

"That is much better," I replied. "I am not the Queen of England, but I'll lift my veil."

As I did so the little judge looked at me, and then, in a very kind and gentle tone, he said:

"My dear child, what is wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong except that I have lost my trunks, and this man," indicating Policeman Bockert, "promised to bring me where they could be found."

"What do you know about this child?" asked the judge, sternly, of Mrs. Stanard, who stood, pale and trembling, by my side.

"I know nothing of her except that she came to the home yesterday and asked to remain overnight."

"The home! What do you mean by the home?" asked Judge Duffy, quickly.

"It is a temporary home kept for working women at No. 84 Second Avenue."

"What is your position there?"

"I am assistant matron."

"Well, tell us all you know of the case."

"When I was going into the home yesterday I noticed her coming down the avenue. She was all alone. I had just got into the house when the bell rang and she came in. When I talked with her she wanted to know if she could stay all night, and I said she could. After awhile she said all the people in the house looked crazy, and she was afraid of them. Then she would not go to bed, but sat up all the night."

"Had she any money?"

"Yes," I replied, answering for her, "I paid her for everything, and the eating was the worst I ever tried."

There was a general smile at this, and some murmurs of "She's not so crazy on the food question."

"Poor child," said Judge Duffy, "she is well dressed, and a lady. Her English is perfect, and I would stake everything on her being a good girl. I am positive she is somebody's darling."

At this announcement everybody laughed, and I put my handkerchief over my face and endeavored to choke the laughter that threatened to spoil my plans, in despite of my resolutions.

"I mean she is some woman's darling," hastily amended the judge. "I am sure some one is searching for her. Poor girl, I will be good to her, for she looks like my sister, who is dead."

There was a hush for a moment after this announcement, and the officers glanced at me more kindly, while I silently blessed the kind-hearted judge, and hoped that any poor creatures who might be afflicted as I pretended to be should have as kindly a man to deal with as Judge Duffy.

"I wish the reporters were here," he said at last. "They would be able to find out something about her."

I got very much frightened at this, for if there is any one who can ferret out a mystery it is a reporter. I felt that I would rather face a mass of expert doctors, policemen, and detectives than two bright specimens of my craft, so I said:

"I don't see why all this is needed to help me find my trunks. These men are impudent, and I do not want to be stared at. I will go away. I don't want to stay here."

So saying, I pulled down my veil and secretly hoped the reporters would be detained elsewhere until I was sent to the asylum.

"I don't know what to do with the poor child," said the worried judge. "She must be taken care of."

"Send her to the Island," suggested one of the officers.

"Oh, don't!" said Mrs. Stanard, in evident alarm. "Don't! She is a lady and it would kill her to be put on the Island."

For once I felt like shaking the good woman. To think the Island was just the place I wanted to reach and here she was trying to keep me from going there! It was very kind of her, but rather provoking under the circumstances.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    EM, if I quit around the start of season 3 did I make a good decision? Because it seemed like they were just like 'lol, we dunno what to do so lol they are now doing this'

Basically yeah

the last two seasons were the writers jerking off and - this is how i think it is best explained - regurgitating fragments and trappings of meaningful scenes and ideas from other shows and movies and books, going through the motions of meaning and narrative without actually achieving it, creating something completely hollow and believing they were making something powerful and profound

instead of thinking about it and working at it and crafting it they were just going with their gut

GUTS ARE FILLED WITH PUKE GUYS

USE YOUR BRAIN WHEN YOU WRITE

JESUS CHRIST

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Writing is hard, but yeah, they were professionals making a professional show so they should've had their shit together.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    ME3 isn't so horrible. It just... ends. Lamely.

You still had your climactic battle.

Also if you pretend green doesn't exist, then the story is actually:
    Shepard shoots the Illusive Man, then blows the Reapers the fuck away after flipping the bird to the star kid.

Then in my headcanon, is picked up by Normandy after jumping off the exploding Citadel into space, only survives it just fine because fuck it, he survived the first time and now is even more cyborg.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The people writing BSG just had no idea what the fuck they were doing. They literally had no idea about communicating their themes or fulfilling an overarching plot.

They made it up as they went along. They admitted this, proudly.

When asked about a dramatic, apparently symbolic scene, the writer said "I don't know what it means, I just thought it seemed pretty neat"

He had no fucking idea what he was doing and he just put a fluttering bird in there

It was a hot mess

I dunno. I thought up until Season 3, it was going along fine. Things mostly made sense, the plotlines were moving along, there were some great "Oh hey, you know, you would really have to deal with that in this situation" moments. It really came off the rails after New Caprica if you ask me.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The people writing BSG just had no idea what the fuck they were doing. They literally had no idea about communicating their themes or fulfilling an overarching plot.

When asked about a dramatic, apparently symbolic scene, the writer said "I don't know what it means, I just thought it seemed pretty neat"

He had no fucking idea what he was doing and he just put a fluttering bird in there

It was a hot mess

I dunno. I thought up until Season 3, it was going along fine. Things mostly made sense, the plotlines were moving along, there were some great "Oh hey, you know, you would really have to deal with that in this situation" moments. It really came off the rails after New Caprica if you ask me.

it was actually excellent for the early parts of the show, yeah, which is why it's infuriating that it entirely collapsed

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Anytime a series has to
    skip a bunch of years OUT OF NOWHERE and put the characters in wildly different situations than they were just minutes before of air time...

It's time to turn it off.

Which is what I did with BSG.

• Options
    The miniseries and first episode of BSG with them running is amazing.

Like first episode of Friday Night Lights good.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    If they had ended BSG the way they ended it,
    but scrapped the Luddite shit it would've been mostly fine. been mostly fine.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

It was a hot mess

no but dont you see thats just ripe for critical analysis

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Endings are fucking hard.

I will give a pass (not a cookie, but a pass) for a lame or meandering ending as they struggle to reach their destination. Mark Twain, I forgive you for Huck Finn. You just didn't know how to end it. It's OK. You said what you needed to say on the river and it was beautiful and no one will ever forget it, even though they will be annoyed that the story goes on for 100 pages after that.

However.

I do not give passes for smirking, arch, "look at how bright my ideas are" endings when they are handled poorly and cleave against the narrative that has occurred to that point.

There is a reason I consider the BSG ending to be weak but acceptable even as most of you consider it high treason.

Meanwhile a lot of you guys thought the directors ending to "Dodgeball" was funny, and I was violently offended by it.

• Options
    there should have been a point in mass effect 3 where shepard briefly pins down one of the dudes possessed by Harbinger and just viciously teabags him

YEAH YOU LIKE THAT MOTHERFUCKER he would say

HAVE SOME MOTHERFUCKING ENGLISH BREAKFAST UP IN YO GRILL

I'M GOING TO SHOOT YOU WITH HUGE SPACE LASERS REAL SOON

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Guys, want to see a star collapse into itself?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Anytime a series has to
    skip a bunch of years OUT OF NOWHERE and put the characters in wildly different situations than they were just minutes before of air time...

Huh, that happened?

I do not remember that.

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I have comics to catch up on, but I don't want to. Someone give me a comic with a good backlog to jump in and start reading. Just one.

Ex Machina.

have you read Ex Machina yet?

• Options
    there should have been a point in mass effect 3 where shepard briefly pins down one of the dudes possessed by Harbinger and just viciously teabags him

YEAH YOU LIKE THAT MOTHERFUCKER he would say

HAVE SOME MOTHERFUCKING ENGLISH BREAKFAST UP IN YO GRILL

I'M GOING TO SHOOT YOU WITH HUGE SPACE LASERS REAL SOON

I mean, isn't this basically what Mass Effect is about? Shepard repeatedly doing this to various nefarious entities, metaphorically?

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya, that link does not work

also what degree do you have in econ

I took it down since nobody was commenting on it :rotate:

it's back

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Anytime a series has to

Counterpoint: The Young Justice cartoon, which is excellent.

• Options
    also seriously guys

that poem

so fucking good

like when you read it out your mouth overflows with kinetic, physical richness

a lyrical syrup pouring from your lips

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Anytime a series has to

Huh, that happened?

I do not remember that.

I think he means on New Caprica, when things skip forward four months after the Cylon occupation. Between seasons two and three, I believe.

• Options
    Anytime a series has to

Huh, that happened?

I do not remember that.

uh what
    they go from space to a planet they've been on for over a year and half the characters are still in space on a ship that has long left and cylons took the planet over and lol

how do you not remember that

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Anytime a series has to

er,
    'a' year. iirc

and why is it a terrible idea? There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I don't know where I read it, but someone did a breakdown of what ruined BSG, and it all basically boiled down to not killing
    Baltar
    on New Caprica. Spoiled for those who haven't seen season 3 yet.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Fong, do you think the ending when Stiller wins and they roll credits is offensive or the one where the losers win?

It's a weird ass comedy movie either way.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Anytime a series has to

Huh, that happened?

I do not remember that.

uh what
    they go from space to a planet they've been on for over a year and half the characters are still in space on a ship that has long left and cylons took the planet over and lol

how do you not remember that
    Gnome beat you to it, but it's because I convinced myself to forget that entire arc happened.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    @Regina Fong I see you choose the only correct ending to ME3. Good on ye. /nod nod

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Fong, do you think the ending when Stiller wins and they roll credits is offensive or the one where the losers win?

It's a weird ass comedy movie either way.

The one where stiller wins is the director's original ending, which audiences hated and was subsequently changed.

The reason it offends me is that it is an hour and a half of film and the payoff is that it's a play on the subtitle "a true underdog story."

Because, hah hah, this is so funny you guys, a true underdog would actually lose, not win! hah hah hah

Fuck that guy.

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »
    Anytime a series has to

er,
    'a' year. iirc

and why is it a terrible idea? There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

I guess if you can't see how that's lazy/unfocused writing then we've got nothing to say. Since the writer have admitted they had literally no plan...

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

I will give a pass (not a cookie, but a pass) for a lame or meandering ending as they struggle to reach their destination. Mark Twain, I forgive you for Huck Finn. You just didn't know how to end it. It's OK. You said what you needed to say on the river and it was beautiful and no one will ever forget it, even though they will be annoyed that the story goes on for 100 pages after that.

However.

I do not give passes for smirking, arch, "look at how bright my ideas are" endings when they are handled poorly and cleave against the narrative that has occurred to that point.

There is a reason I consider the BSG ending to be weak but acceptable even as most of you consider it high treason.

Meanwhile a lot of you guys thought the directors ending to "Dodgeball" was funny, and I was violently offended by it.

The thing with BSG is that it's not just like a well written show with a bad ending

The bad ending is just another symptom of the writing problems and lack of forethought throughout that entire show

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Underdogs do usually lose. It's because they're not favored statistically to win.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Re: ME3 endings and why I don't buy indoctrination
    Once you start questioning the reality of events, there is no reason to stop. If you buy the existence of the entity, there is little reason not to buy its characterization, which in turn suggests that it has no reason to lie to you. It doesn't have a skin in the game aside from ideology, and I think the fact that it is willing to let you make a choice is reasonably convincing.

More concretely, the blue and green endings just don't make sense if indoctrination is true, as I mentioned before.

It's a nice idea but it isn't borne out by the actual mechanics of the ending.

I'm a little confused
    If shepherd is indoctrinated how do the blue and green endings not make sense? They are the trap choices.

I absolutely agree that indoctrination doesn't fit as a valid alternative ending btw

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I tend to feel that endings to things need to avoid being too final. I mean, life doesn't really end even after you die - it goes on, and new stories happen.

Like, a good ending should acknowledge that more things will probably happen in the future in the story of that world.

• Options
    So it seems to me, a true underdog story having the protagonists lose would be appropriate to reality, if not our hearts.

This was a movie who had a character that thought he was a pirate so I'm not scrutinizing it too hard.

• Options
    Today will be a day long remembered, it has seen the death of Rubio's political ambitions and will soon see the death of this bottle of scotch.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    For instance, in NCAA basketball:

0- The number of times the No. 16 seed has topped the No. 1 seed. They’ve now had 108 chances, but they have yet to pull it off. In 1996 Western Carolina lost just 73-71 to first-seeded Purdue. They had two great looks at a three-pointer to win it, but they couldn’t quite get it to fall.

0- The number of times a No. 12 seed has beaten a No. 1 seed. The 12 seed may be a good pick for a round or two, but they haven’t proven able to get past the top-seeded team. The No. 12 seed is 0-18 all-time against the No. 1 seed.

So yeah. Underdogs are so named for a reason.

http://www.docsports.com/current/ncaa-tournament-seed-history.html

• Options
    Today will be a day long remembered, it has seen the death of Rubio's political ambitions and will soon see the death of this bottle of scotch.

how bad was he? bad enough that i should go grab a drink and watch it?

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

However.

The thing with BSG is that it's not just like a well written show with a bad ending

The bad ending is just another symptom of the writing problems and lack of forethought throughout that entire show

It is not a "bad ending"

It is a bad, what, like 1 season or 1.5 or 2 seasons at the end.

Because the show continued past the point where they had already done what they needed to do and said what they needed to say.

It was just like the last 100 pages of Huckleberry Finn.

It just existed to annoy you and kind of detract from the awesome that came before.

But in no way does it undo the work itself.

I watched all the way to the end and no i was not fucking thrilled by how it ended on Earth. I preferred the original ending where they just were in orbit of that other Earth, before they went down and found it to be rubble.

That was probably where the show needed to end. Humans and Cyclons united, war-weary, with an understanding of just how much their conflict devastated them and how it helped nothing at any point and had no value whatsoever.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elki wrote: »
    I have comics to catch up on, but I don't want to. Someone give me a comic with a good backlog to jump in and start reading. Just one.

Ex Machina.

have you read Ex Machina yet?

I'll check it if I can find it. I just preordered Vol. 2 of the Projects, which should get to me in April.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Shepard should have made things worse.
    Like he somehow breaks the Reapers, and they go forth and extinguish all organic life instead.

Thereby becoming what they were created to stop from happening.

And a bit of messing with "God's Plan" thrown in
    Keep me away from writing stories, I'm the worst.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
This discussion has been closed.