As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pied [chat]

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Hahaha, oh man.

Because of the impending merger of Live Messenger with Skype, I decided to hop on and get Skype for myself finally, so I could get used to it in time.

However, since I bought this PC used, it turns out the dude I bought it from is already logged in on Skype when I start it up.

Skype, that I just downloaded and installed. Skype, that may have been installed on this machine previously but almost certainly must've gotten uninstalled when it was sold to me.

Awkwaaaarrrddd.

His profile picture is Chris Hansen too hahaha, what the fuck.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh

I read green magic on that infinityplus site and now I'm depressed

I hope you're happy

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    I'm sure there can be situations where that abrupt out of nowhere change does something for the plot, but it's not here. George R.R. Martin wrestled mightily with planning to skip his book series forward 5 years and then decided he just couldn't. In my opinion, that's because he's a good writer and realized his error.

Oddly, I was going to use him as an example of having a very loose chronology.

weeks pass between chapters, at least two chapters I can think of turn the clock back months while we catch up with what the character's been doing for all that time.

Loose chronology isn't the same as an abrupt shift in everyone's situation with no foreshadowing or meaningful buildup to me.

BSG was like going from book 1 spoiler
    Ned accepting as hand to him in prison
    with no in between. Of course, there was a great lot of in between and it was basically pages 200-700 of A Game of Thrones.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I'm still chuckling over being upset by that since the subtitle a TRUE underdog story does mean they are almost guaranteed to lose.

Uhm.

What part do you not get about my complaint?

It is too long of a film to justify the entire film being merely a set up for that one joke.

And yes, yes that ending does ruin everything else that happened in the film.

It actually truly does, unlike the ending to BSG which people wail about which did not.

So that better be a helluvah joke, right?

It's not. It's lame.

I don't expect you to share my anger but don't sit there and say you don't get it. It's pretty simple to comprehend.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Doing an HBO comedy carousel with a bunch of people.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised how long people have been burning up over the end of ME3. I feel like people had just picked it up last time I was here and that was maybe 6 months ago.

it's mostly that any time anybody new finishes it, they usually feel like talking about it

which rekindles the discussion

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I just want to be mad at ME3 since my readiness rating was 100% since i played all MP when it came out but by the time I beat it, my rating dropped back to 50%. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

In all fairness it takes like 10ish multiplayer matches to get back to 100% and the multiplayer is actually pretty fun :P

Also you can now play a volus which ends up being more fun than it has any right to be. Your melee is a short term cloak for running away and your heavy melee is you hunker down into even more of a comically awkward ball and pop and shield regenerating force field around you.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    jacobkosh this is that marvel thing i messaged you a bit ago about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790pXQwn5PY&feature=youtu.be

they aren't quite romance novels but they will both have romantic plots/subplots

is it bad that i'm actually interested in these?

they're being written by women for a female audience, based on certain feminine stereotypes (girls like romance novels lol) but a femininized spin on a male-dominated medium actually perks my interest

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I'm still chuckling over being upset by that since the subtitle a TRUE underdog story does mean they are almost guaranteed to lose.

Uhm.

It is too long of a film to justify the entire film being merely a set up for that one joke.

It actually truly does, unlike the ending to BSG which people wail about which did not.

It's not. It's lame.

I don't expect you to share my anger but don't sit there and say you don't get it. It's pretty simple to comprehend.

I think it is pretty funny since it's so ingrained in American culture that underdogs are awesome and triumph when the facts are way against it.

But we seem to disagree on whether or not that makes the rest of the movie suck. You keep saying the entire film was about setting up that one joke so without the ending is the film pointless? I think it's pretty funny. So even if it had that ending it'd still be pretty funny, right?

• Options
    I just want to be mad at ME3 since my readiness rating was 100% since i played all MP when it came out but by the time I beat it, my rating dropped back to 50%. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

In all fairness it takes like 10ish multiplayer matches to get back to 100% and the multiplayer is actually pretty fun :P

Also you can now play a volus which ends up being more fun than it has any right to be. Your melee is a short term cloak for running away and your heavy melee is you hunker down into even more of a comically awkward ball and pop and shield regenerating force field around you.

OTLC, did you ever promote a toon?

promotion gives you a permanent readiness boost

• Options

I played a lot of MP. I didn't want to play anymore. And I think it takes more than 10. I beat a few and it only took me to 55% or so.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    Re: ME3 endings and why I don't buy indoctrination
    Once you start questioning the reality of events, there is no reason to stop. If you buy the existence of the entity, there is little reason not to buy its characterization, which in turn suggests that it has no reason to lie to you. It doesn't have a skin in the game aside from ideology, and I think the fact that it is willing to let you make a choice is reasonably convincing.

More concretely, the blue and green endings just don't make sense if indoctrination is true, as I mentioned before.

It's a nice idea but it isn't borne out by the actual mechanics of the ending.

I'm a little confused
    If shepherd is indoctrinated how do the blue and green endings not make sense? They are the trap choices.

I absolutely agree that indoctrination doesn't fit as a valid alternative ending btw

Because the events of those endings would not have occurred. If indoctrination were the case, it would be revealed that you have screwed it all up you goddamn sucker.
    plus Shepard is dead so it can't even be an illusion in his indoctrinated mind; we are seeing reality.

If indoctrination theory is true, then
    the blue and green endings are hallucinations that Shepard is seeing during the final moments of succumbing to reaperization, rendering her compliant to the transformation to a completely cybernetic lifeform under reaper control

If that's the case,
    then Shepard is minutes away from being indoctrinated completely anyway and it seems unlikely they'd permit him to make the red decision; even if they can't control him completely, what's stopping them from making him shoot out a water fountain and thinking he destroyed the reapers?
    Any reasoning used to dismiss the truth of the blue/ green ending can dismiss the red ending as well.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

they aren't quite romance novels but they will both have romantic plots/subplots

they're being written by women for a female audience, based on certain feminine stereotypes (girls like romance novels lol) but a femininized spin on a male-dominated medium actually perks my interest

It'd be tough being Rogue. I mean, the mechanics of hitting that would mean she could never be sure if he was really interested or just looking for the challenge.

• Options
    I don't see why the disintegration/immolation has to be taken literally.

I think you are being too literal, EM.

I get what you are saying, "If you question this, it all unravels!" but really, no.

No it doesn't.
    There's some friction with the whole laser beam thing down on Earth though. If that's the moment when you supposedly went to lala land (if you picked the red ending) then what? You aren't on the space station so you can't kill the reapers. You are in a pile of rubble on Earth and nothing has happened outside of your head.
    That's why, to me anyway, the true ending to the game is like the ending of Angel (the TV series).

Shepard takes a breath, he's still alive, he's still in the fight. Is the rest of the squad alive? Did they make it? Maybe, we don't know. This is where the story ends for us. We don't know for sure what happens next, whether Shepard will be able to activate the crucible.

I am fully OK with that sort of ambiguity. Maybe not someone else's cup of tea.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I'm kinda surprised how long people have been burning up over the end of ME3. I feel like people had just picked it up last time I was here and that was maybe 6 months ago.

it's mostly that any time anybody new finishes it, they usually feel like talking about it

Ah, that makes sense. I still haven't played it, so I'm still not sure what's up with the ending. Funny though how the buzz about the ending being shit hasn't really deterred people from picking it up.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

It gives you a set rate, I promoted a lot. It does not give a set % bonus.

So my +75 rating is tiny compared to my 6000-8000 overall readiness which is then multiplied by my %.

If it increased % I would've been fine because I promoted like 4-5 guys.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I'm going to bed.

night, [chat]

• Options

It'd be tough being Rogue. I mean, the mechanics of hitting that would mean she could never be sure if he was really interested or just looking for the challenge.

Rogue can control her power now.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

It's generally less shock and disappointment now that the Extended Cut and Leviathan are in place, but it's still a source of controversy and discussions of narrative coherence.

488W936.png
  • Options
    So for once, I didn't get an achievement. I didn't care enough to go back and get it.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    i talked to a bunch of mfa students and asked to see their novels tonight

i think like 1 or 2 are going to be okay

i feel so sad when someone came up to me and said 'hey uh so um i have a collection of short stories um so uh'

Every time you post about novels and how they're no good I feel like I'm going to throw up

oh i wouldn't listen to me

• Options

It gives you a set rate, I promoted a lot. It does not give a set % bonus.

So my +75 rating is tiny compared to my 6000-8000 overall readiness which is then multiplied by my %.

If it increased % I would've been fine because I promoted like 4-5 guys.

ohhhh i forgot it was so small

poop

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I don't see why the disintegration/immolation has to be taken literally.

I think you are being too literal, EM.

I get what you are saying, "If you question this, it all unravels!" but really, no.

No it doesn't.
    There's some friction with the whole laser beam thing down on Earth though. If that's the moment when you supposedly went to lala land (if you picked the red ending) then what? You aren't on the space station so you can't kill the reapers. You are in a pile of rubble on Earth and nothing has happened outside of your head.
    That's why, to me anyway, the true ending to the game is like the ending of Angel (the TV series).

Shepard takes a breath, he's still alive, he's still in the fight. Is the rest of the squad alive? Did they make it? Maybe, we don't know. This is where the story ends for us. We don't know for sure what happens next, whether Shepard will be able to activate the crucible.

I am fully OK with that sort of ambiguity. Maybe not someone else's cup of tea.

I like it too, but it doesn't translate best to video games. I want to do all of the things! FULFILL MY WISHES DAMMIT

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

I mean, romance has always been part of comics to a certain extent, since most heroes have to balance their personal lives and their costumes. This seems to be focusing more on the latter, so it's kind of like just taking a comic series and shifting the balance a skosh, hopefully reducing ludicrous plot twists and resurrections on the way. I'd read them, but that's hardly a surprise.

• Options

Uhm.

It's not. It's lame.

I think it is pretty funny since it's so ingrained in American culture that underdogs are awesome and triumph when the facts are way against it.

But we seem to disagree on whether or not that makes the rest of the movie suck. You keep saying the entire film was about setting up that one joke so without the ending is the film pointless? I think it's pretty funny. So even if it had that ending it'd still be pretty funny, right?

The entire film is very clearly a set up for the joke. Every single aspect of the story exists simply to set the audience up for a traditional "underdog tale of triumph".

So, again.

Subverting that at the end better be really, really well done and worthwhile. It has to justify subverting everything you just made me sit through.

And it doesn't, at all.

• Options
    Someday Eddy will read the best collection and then it'll get poached from him.

Or worse, he'll think they're shit and then someone else will publish them and they'll go gangbusters and get all the pulitzers.

• Options
    Most people complain that all Hollywood movies end too happily!

• Options
    tearing down Rubio's speech on facebook

doop doot doo

• Options
    i talked to a bunch of mfa students and asked to see their novels tonight

i think like 1 or 2 are going to be okay

i feel so sad when someone came up to me and said 'hey uh so um i have a collection of short stories um so uh'

Every time you post about novels and how they're no good I feel like I'm going to throw up

oh i wouldn't listen to me

NO IT'S NOT LIKE IT'S YOUR JOB OR ANYTHING

This is why I don't write anything

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Maybe Hollywood should start cracking out more Lovecraftian inspired films.

488W936.png
  • Options

Test audiences would beg to differ. They routinely shut down grim endings that directors think are just fa-a-a-a-bulous. And 9/10 they are right.

Sorry, Kevin Smith, your original ending to Clerks was bad.

• Options
    Basically life is full of downer endings naturally, and I'm not really wanting to commit to movie time which is going to replicate something I can get for free.

• Options
    Corehealer wrote: »

i loved that one movie that came out last year

you know the one

• Options
    (In case it's unclear I am saying your criticism fills me with both schadenfreudian glee and bubbling anxiety)

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    We're all in agreement that The Holy Grail's ending is amazing though right

wandering on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Once you start questioning the reality of events, there is no reason to stop. If you buy the existence of the entity, there is little reason not to buy its characterization, which in turn suggests that it has no reason to lie to you. It doesn't have a skin in the game aside from ideology, and I think the fact that it is willing to let you make a choice is reasonably convincing.

More concretely, the blue and green endings just don't make sense if indoctrination is true, as I mentioned before.

I'm a little confused
    If shepherd is indoctrinated how do the blue and green endings not make sense? They are the trap choices.

I absolutely agree that indoctrination doesn't fit as a valid alternative ending btw

Because the events of those endings would not have occurred. If indoctrination were the case, it would be revealed that you have screwed it all up you goddamn sucker.
    plus Shepard is dead so it can't even be an illusion in his indoctrinated mind; we are seeing reality.

the blue and green endings are hallucinations that Shepard is seeing during the final moments of succumbing to reaperization, rendering her compliant to the transformation to a completely cybernetic lifeform under reaper control

If that's the case,
    then Shepard is minutes away from being indoctrinated completely anyway and it seems unlikely they'd permit him to make the red decision; even if they can't control him completely, what's stopping them from making him shoot out a water fountain and thinking he destroyed the reapers?
    Any reasoning used to dismiss the truth of the blue/ green ending can dismiss the red ending as well.
    I think the red indoctrination ending presumes that your will has been tested and you've maintained sight of your goal and, as such, resisted indoctrination. But that also makes it hard to argue that you're actually on the crucible, which means you'd need DLC/ME4 to actually finish the story.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

so I've read both novels and I know both authors and the books are pretty dang good. the rogue one will turn some of you off because it's YA and it's sort of based on twilight in that two people are in love but it's dangerous for them to be in love. on the other hand they very, very much want to bone and a fair amount of the book is them thinking of ways to get close to boning with rogue killing the boyfriend. the author also has some interesting plays on rogue's power.

the she hulk one is probably more up everyone's alley as it's pretty damn funny. it's a play off bridget jones' diary, except the main character has only a vague awareness of what the she hulk alter ego gets up to when she transforms, and often finds she hulk has drawn little penises all over her diary or has bought shots for an entire bar etc. etc.

they aren't quite romance novels, really, given the superhero stuff that happens in them

• Options
    Corehealer wrote: »

i loved that one movie that came out last year

you know the one

that didn't seem like a downer ending though!

• Options

I'm a little confused

If that's the case,
    I think the red indoctrination ending presumes that your will has been tested and you've maintained sight of your goal and, as such, resisted indoctrination. But that also makes it hard to argue that you're actually on the crucible, which means you'd need DLC/ME4 to actually finish the story.

I am ok with this.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I played a lot of MP. I didn't want to play anymore. And I think it takes more than 10. I beat a few and it only took me to 55% or so.

I want to say you should get 5% overall if you're doing random level, random enemy and you extract? It's been awhile since I've actually looked at the post match bonus to that though. Usually I skip through the results screen as quickly as possible to get back to the lobby so I can hopefully get my gear setup again and spend any points in powers I may have earned without people having to wait on me.

This discussion has been closed.