Options

[chat]muting

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    wtf is this defiance game

does anybody have some decent length footage

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    i wouldnd have used tesco but i couldnt be bothered to explain who they were to non British people :P

dude the word Tesco appears approximately 1,143.5 times per 100-page chat thread

it is basically the unofficial sponsor of early-AM chat

that's British [chat] time

we're well in to American [chat] time now, we must Americanise to survive

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

It's linked to a television show on SyFy.

I was in a beta for it. It has a great concept: Guild Wars 2-style MMO meets Mass Effect-style third-person shooter. The execution leaves a lot to be desired, though, unfortunately. Maybe they've improved it since I played, though.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    But even though they have to pay 3% for each transaction that's still a transaction that might not have occurred if they only accepted cash. Despite the fee they are making more money due to the convenience of credit cards.

I feel like this is like somebody avoiding moving up into another tax bracket because the income in that bracket will be taxed more. They're still making more money!

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Guys

Should I tip 3% more when using a credit card to offset transaction fees.

I wouldn't know. I don't tip.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    The strangest thing I have seen is the local gaming store here where I play MTG takes cash or Paypal.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I use a credit card. At the gas pump, for example, paying with cash would involve putting down $40 and then going back in for my change.

But if I'm at the you-scan at the grocery, or especially when dealing with a small merchant (those phone swipe apps can charge up to 10% from what I've seen) then it's pretty dickish to not pay cash because ugh I would be inconvenienced

I think this weird morality tale you've invented for transactions is getting in the way of whatever point it is you're trying to make.

From personal experience, smaller merchants just don't accept cards around here and the larger places (Winn Dixie, Publix, WalMart, Barnes and Noble) have so much traffic it doesn't matter.

Like it or no, we're moving away from cash as a society and short of some kind of war that genie isn't going back in the bottle. Merchants will either adapt to this new market paradigm or follow mom and pop into the nostalgia bucket.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I dunno if Load qualifies as 'best metal' but it's certainly Metallica's best album.

fry.jpg

Oh, I'm serious.

:rotate:

I'm guessing that means you think I'm crazy?

I consider it interesting how much shit Load gets. I also consider it interesting the disdain people have for anyone who likes it.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this got posted in chat yet or not but squee!

http://youtu.be/nC8WMvxzRis

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    And, after two years of on an off struggling, I have finally beaten Engine of Destruction

Fuck Tychus

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also

i always tip in cash you can make little towers with the coins

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I dunno if Load qualifies as 'best metal' but it's certainly Metallica's best album.

fry.jpg

Oh, I'm serious.

I consider it interesting how much shit Load gets. I also consider it interesting the disdain people have for anyone who likes it.

Sexless unperson and so forth

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    i wouldnd have used tesco but i couldnt be bothered to explain who they were to non British people :P

dude the word Tesco appears approximately 1,143.5 times per 100-page chat thread

Howdy y'all. I'm off to fire my gun at some criminals and drink an enormous coke.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I use a credit card. At the gas pump, for example, paying with cash would involve putting down $40 and then going back in for my change.

But if I'm at the you-scan at the grocery, or especially when dealing with a small merchant (those phone swipe apps can charge up to 10% from what I've seen) then it's pretty dickish to not pay cash because ugh I would be inconvenienced

I think this weird morality tale you've invented for transactions is getting in the way of whatever point it is you're trying to make.

From personal experience, smaller merchants just don't accept cards around here and the larger places (Winn Dixie, Publix, WalMart, Barnes and Noble) have so much traffic it doesn't matter.

Like it or no, we're moving away from cash as a society and short of some kind of war that genie isn't going back in the bottle. Merchants will either adapt to this new market paradigm or follow mom and pop into the nostalgia bucket.
    Visa and Mastercard have de facto monopolies in this, though. I mean, I totally use cards whenever possible, because I get my rewards that way; but I recognize it costs the merchant more. However, as a consumer, not using a card offers me no benefit, and in the grand scheme of things, makes zero difference (classic collective action problem).

The cost of using the card shouldn't be obfuscated from the consumer like it is now; the credit card companies should be required to charge the consumer, or nobody at all.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Howdy y'all. I'm off to fire my gun at some criminals and drink an enormous coke.

*narrows eyes suspiciously*

How enormous?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

COUSIN, WE GO SEE BEEG AMERICAN TEETEES NOW, YES?

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    [chat] needs to entertain me further. Where are the [chat] strippers?

sig.gif
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I think I like the idea of calling someone a "sub-peasant."

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

it's pretty dickish to not pay cash because ugh I would be inconvenienced

lol? Is walking 30-50 feet twice the standard for unbearable inconvenience? Because my nearest bank ATM is a whole block away right now.

I pay in credit whereever possible because
    A. It helps me keep track of my spending
    B. Points make things cost less
    C. Going to the ATM/Carrying cash around is a pain in the ass.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

This is where I like BitCoins as a concept. It'd be nice to have a cashless society that didn't depend on a 3rd party taking a cut of the action.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    I think I like the idea of calling someone a "sub-peasant."

How bourgeois of you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

How enormous?

*narrows eyes suspiciouslyer*

What does enormous mean?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    In what is truly disastrous news for cinephiles around the world, actor Nicolas Cage has made it plain that he will not reprise the role of Johnny Blaze in any future films based on the Marvel Comics antihero Ghost Rider, the character who all right thinking people agree Cage was truly born to play. "Personally, I'm done," the actor told MTV. "I've done what I had to do with that part. You never say never, but right now, today, I would say that I'm done."

Not from the Onion.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I never said that merchants shouldn't take credit cards. The only claim I've made is that it is worth considering whether to use cash when the convenience of plastic is not worth costing the merchant that 2%.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The credit card companies do charge me to use their card. It just so happens I pay the bill before they can levy their fees by our contract.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

How enormous?

so large new york is trying to ban it

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

fry.jpg

Oh, I'm serious.

This is more a case of their first three albums are some of the best albums ever made, where as Load/Reload are mediocre alt-rock on par with the likes of Newstead or British Lion or any other average side project a member of a good band has.

What I'm saying is that immediately after Cliff died, all of their hair fell out and they became the falsest of falses

• Options
    Carrying cash around is risky anyways. Credit cards means I'm not on the hook if I get mugged.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    COUSIN, WE GO TO AMERICAN BOWLING ALLEY NOW, YES?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    bowen wrote: »
    The credit card companies do charge me to use their card. It just so happens I pay the bill before they can levy their fees by our contract.
    That's not them charging you to use their card. You can (and clearly do) use their card for free.

That's them charging you to loan you money. Entirely different.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    metallica???

LOAD AND RELOAD?

Gimme%2BFue%2BGimme%2BFai%2BGimme%2BDabajabza.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    AJFA und Black sind nicht krieg

Tav on
  • Options

Dammit, I need a GTA game that rivals Vice City. I was to be a moral-less psychopath in a tropical paradise. None of the family and girlfriends and bad-against-his-will bullshit later games introduced. I want to stand on a sidewalk and shoot innocent pedestrians for no reason except that I can.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    That's not them charging you to use their card. You can (and clearly do) use their card for free.

That's them charging you to loan you money. Entirely different.

Some have annual fees, I'm just not enough of a credit risk to require them? (haha irony)

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

It's linked to a television show on SyFy.

I was in a beta for it. It has a great concept: Guild Wars 2-style MMO meets Mass Effect-style third-person shooter. The execution leaves a lot to be desired, though, unfortunately. Maybe they've improved it since I played, though.

isn't there a movie too?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Man, when I heard Blizzard was announcing something that isn't a sequel or expansion, I was expecting something a little more... substantial.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    If you use a credit/debit card to pay with things you are literally hitler.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Richy wrote: »

Dammit, I need a GTA game that rivals Vice City. I was to be a moral-less psychopath in a tropical paradise. None of the family and girlfriends and bad-against-his-will bullshit later games introduced. I want to stand on a sidewalk and shoot innocent pedestrians for no reason except that I can.

s..saint's row 3?

well, minus the "tropical paradise", I guess.

Tamin on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @surrealitycheck wat should I get for lunch

This discussion has been closed.