Options

[BIOSHOCK INFINITE] Experience digital jingoism March 26th.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I played through on hard with the ol' KB&mouse. I didn't find the game difficult, I just thought there were a lot of design decisions that changed feelings on combat from positive to getting annoyed. Any little skirmish with the regular human guys always went great and I had fun, but the tougher enemies don't really scale well with the weaponry.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    This may be gameplay spoilers for those who haven't seen them in-game yet, but I made a playlist of some of the in-game songs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDBO9BqGB18&list=PLC9XZdcOznfoGovT1xsVPXnt7dhbYgbIi

It has
    God Only Knows barbershop quartet
    Shiny Happy People
    Everybody Wants to Rule the World
    Tainted Love
    some Sinatra song
    the vocals-only part of Fortunate Son

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    So I'm trying to collect my thoughts on the gameplay now that I am done. No ending spoilers, mainly mechanics stuff, and mainly minor quibbles.

1. Vigors
    Like I said in the post above, I played through the entire game without realizing I could switch back to previous vigors. I tried to swap them out in the equipment menu, but that's not an option there. I thought it was weird I couldn't and I was right, apparently.

There should have been a specific in-game tutorial or event the instant you get Vigor #3 to explain it.
    There is one. I saw it pop up quite a few times, telling me I can hold Q to access the vigor menu.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I don't think playlists link right on the forums.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    How do Hard and 1999 mode differ? Is 1999 mode just more difficult, or does it do something like Metro 2033's Ranger Hardcore, make everything do more damage, to you and enemies, resources are scarcer, etc?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    On hard, there's no one hit kill headshots for anything outside of the sniper rifle and hand cannon. I never really found the game 'hard', but there were times where I have to cheese the hell out of enemies cause their health bars would just not go down.

Shotgun blasts to the head and/or on vulnerable enemies pretty much one shot common enemies. There's also plenty of opportunities to use the shotgun's excessive force and bucking bronco to just launch enemies into the abyss.
    MrDelish wrote: »
    ... there's aim assist in this game?

it only turns on if you edit a config file or if you have a 360 controller plugged in

Actually, by default on the PC aiming down the sights will lock to a target within a small area (slightly larger than an upgraded shotgun's spread size as far as I can tell). It's mildly useful for a few situations, especially since it pretty much instantly locks you to Handymen's heart.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    So I'm trying to collect my thoughts on the gameplay now that I am done. No ending spoilers, mainly mechanics stuff, and mainly minor quibbles.

1. Vigors
    Like I said in the post above, I played through the entire game without realizing I could switch back to previous vigors. I tried to swap them out in the equipment menu, but that's not an option there. I thought it was weird I couldn't and I was right, apparently.

There should have been a specific in-game tutorial or event the instant you get Vigor #3 to explain it.
    There is one. I saw it pop up quite a few times, telling me I can hold Q to access the vigor menu.

Then I missed that entirely somehow.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Regarding the music (early-ish pre-Elizabeth spoiler):
    When she opens that rift to Paris, I was all holy whoa! Then I saw the marquee and was even more wowed.

Then I realized I was hearing Tears for Fears and had to scrape my jaw off of the floor.

Honestly I'm so glad I knew next to zero about this game going in. Would have been a bit less impressive if I knew that stuff was in there I think.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I fully expected Comstock
    To pull a Spec Ops and already be dead when I got to him.

He wasn't already dead, but he did kind of pull a Spec Ops, still. :)

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'd suggest you mark when your spoiler tag is a spoiler for an entirely different game, @Beltaine.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

1. Vigors

Uh...yeah the game tells you as soon as you get your third vigor.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    had the game glitch while unlocking a door and then combat started while elizabeth was doing it (i guess thats what happened?). once combat ended the door wasnt unlocked even though the lock was off of it. then when i restarted the checkpoint it booted me back about an hours worth of wandering around
    emporia
    and collecting everything. so... i guess i'll finish the game off another day. kinda killed the momentum for me.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I'd suggest you mark when your spoiler tag is a spoiler for an entirely different game, Beltaine.
    Seriously

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Just checked and my final playtime on normal was just over 16hrs.

Which means I am slow and did a lot of wandering. I also had a number of moments where the game wanted me to do things that I didn't want to do but had to to progress. So I sort of just sat there.

Also I think I'll play up to a certain point involving dancing and just leave it there so she's happy for ever and ever...

Man. This game!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I clocked in at 13 hours and I feel I explored the game and environments pretty thoroughly, watched whatever little vignettes and environmental curiosities I found.

I've heard people say 18-22 hours if you "take your time" and that seems like horse shit.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

2. Railways
    Why can Booker jump so high?

All that bitching aside, I had a blast.

Early game spoiler:
    He mentions when he attempts his first hook how it pulled him toward it, and he speculates that the hooks and railways are magnetized. It still doesn't entirely explain the acrobatics he uses in these skyline sequences, but I'll give them credit for at least making an attempt to explain it.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm only a little bit in due to an insane lab schedule this week, but:
    Holy shit when you hit the raffle things get very dark very fast and then escalate quickly

• Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how to get to that piece of clothing behind the gate in the graveyard? I want that damn piece so bad but I can't tear a lock on there or anything.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Elizabeth and her green magic hypodermic cracks me up.

• Options
    Inter_d wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get to that piece of clothing behind the gate in the graveyard? I want that damn piece so bad but I can't tear a lock on there or anything.

I was wondering about that one too.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    My playthrough was about 15 hours and according to the achievements I missed more than a few audio logs and stuff, so I think 18 is reasonable.

Apparently they do expect you to backtrack to get some stuff too.
    I found the Vox codebook and expected that I would return to the code on the wall at some point - never did. Arg.

For people looking for good clothing, from reloading from checkpoints I found out that the clothing is at least somewhat random. It's always in the same place, but you can get different pieces if you reload.

• Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

1. Vigors

2. Railways
    As cool as the railway mechanic is, I barely used them unless I had to. Mostly because shooting while moving on the railway was just not an option for me. I'm a bad enough shot on the ground, I'm terrible while flying around on the lines. Plus it was halfway through the game before I noticed the tutorial about changing movement speed. Also, what is the point of giant loops of rails that don't go anywhere? In most cases it seemed there weren't even obvious loading points for moving stuff around an area, so no logical reason for them to be there aside from the combat. I would have liked some longer, more logical shipping route type lines with chase sequences, switching rails to avoid shipping cars, and the like.

Why can Booker jump so high?

In addition, I found a lot of the time that the rails themselves got in the way of my shots, because of the way they dipped and rose. I'm not sure if the solution to that would be better rail pathways, or better enemy positioning (airboats especially)

The dismount attack was fun as hell though.

I agree that the vigor swapping could use a better explanation, but they definitely told you it was possible to swap vigor, I just didn't realize you could swap them on the fly without going through the vigor menu.

I used the railway to zoom around the battlefield a lot. I got used to shooting while moving on the railway so it wasn't that big of a deal. I liked that you could drop off raise some hell and then jump back on and zoom away. In my head I imagined the enemies just running frantically trying to avoid death from the railways above. I feel like they said the rails are are for maintenance people and cops so they could move around quickly. Booker can jump so high because the hook is magnetized. He made a comment about it the first time you jumped, but could also use more information in a log maybe?

I don't know how you could miss the tutorials unless you weren't paying attention to where they were on the screen, which is understandable since the game is beautiful. I do agree with your other points.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I don't remember them telling me I could pull up a game menu with my gear, vigor, logs, and objective. But I'm sure I just overlooked them telling me somewhere along the line. I figured it out eventually, not that I really needed to go into it a lot.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    SuperRuper wrote: »
    I don't know how you could miss the tutorials unless you weren't paying attention to where they were on the screen, which is understandable since the game is beautiful. I do agree with your other points.

That is entirely possible, considering I probably went right into combat at that point as well. I wish it had been a bit more explicit somehow.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    im near the end of the game and it still pops up tutorials all the time like "hold down L2 to change your vigors!" and "don't forget to use your vigors!". its actually real annoying. theres probably a way to turn that off, but i havent messed around with it.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I would like the skyhook more if there was just an independent button for it. Hitting space to attach only works when you're on the ground in a certain area by it. You can't for instance, use it to save yourself from falling, or hook on while jumping or anything like that.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    im near the end of the game and it still pops up tutorials all the time like "hold down L2 to change your vigors!" and "don't forget to use your vigors!". its actually real annoying. theres probably a way to turn that off, but i havent messed around with it.

Yeah, you can turn that off in the menu.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options

The thing is that I kept forgetting to use my vigors. Then they reminded me and I used them for a fight and started to forget again.

The only time I heavily used vigors was during (late-game spoilers)
    The vox attack on The Hand of the Prophet and during Comstock house

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Mechanized Patriots are like something straight out of Doctor Who. I stink at fighting them though. I stun em with Shock Jockey, but they turn around too fast. Haven't tried Bucking Bronco on em, that might be better.

I'm finding that I'm just sticking with Shock Jockey and Possession. Just got Charge and Undertow last night. Haven't tried Undertow, but Charge was underwhelming. I was excited to use it too... I thought it would turn Booker into a Mass Effect Vangod.

There's an upgrade for charge that refills your shields when you use it, basically makes you into a vanguard. Wear that and the pants that shock enemies and you can melee a patriot to death on hard, and crows are a piece of cake. Doesn't seem to work against handymen though.

Interesting!

I already have pants, or shoes that give me health on melee kills too... that plus the badass shotgun... Mmm! I might have to keep Charge around.

Vangod DeWitt!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013

1. Vigors

Not to pick on you specifically, but this is why developers put such exhaustive and annoying tutorials in games...because even us experienced gamers can completely miss a popup that tells you exactly how to switch your Vigors.
    4. 'miniboss' enemies
    I rarely was able to move around a Patriot fast enough to shoot his gears, and shooting the Handymen in the heart didn't seem to do significantly more damage. Not that I had time to try and aim at it, they were pretty goddamned fast for such big buggers. Also why would you put the heart behind glass when the rest of him is metal. Seriously.

Hit them with lightning. Freezes them in place for a good 2 - 3 seconds, and you can just causally get behind them.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

1. Vigors

Not to pick on you specifically, but this is why developers put such exhaustive and annoying tutorials in games...because even us experienced gamers can completely miss a popup that tells you exactly how to switch your Vigors.
    4. 'miniboss' enemies
    I rarely was able to move around a Patriot fast enough to shoot his gears, and shooting the Handymen in the heart didn't seem to do significantly more damage. Not that I had time to try and aim at it, they were pretty goddamned fast for such big buggers. Also why would you put the heart behind glass when the rest of him is metal. Seriously.

Hit them with lightning. Freezes them in place for a good 2 - 3 seconds, and you can just causally get behind them.

They still recovered faster than I could move around them.

• Options

The thing is that I kept forgetting to use my vigors. Then they reminded me and I used them for a fight and started to forget again.

Man, upgraded Shock Jock that chains to nearby enemies is soooo good, I can't imagine ever forgetting to use it. It makes entire sections of the game humorously trivial. It's chain range is ridiculously huge, and it will actually arc off of metal objects near various chain points, allowing you to extend the chain to basically entire rooms.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    man i want to buy the soundtrack to this game.

• Options

1. Vigors

4. 'miniboss' enemies

They still recovered faster than I could move around them.

Did you have fully upgraded Shock Jock with the chain and stun duration augmentation?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

I do too, but none of the covers / rag-time remakes are on the soundtrack. It's just the original orchestrated score. Which is fantastic, but I want it all gawsh darnit.

• Options

Man, upgraded Shock Jock that chains to nearby enemies is soooo good, I can't imagine ever forgetting to use it. It makes entire sections of the game humorously trivial. It's chain range is ridiculously huge, and it will actually arc off of metal objects near various chain points, allowing you to extend the chain to basically entire rooms.

I learned this pretty late in the game. The upgraded crows also worked because killing a crowed enemy turned it into a crow's nest for all the other enemies around it. Electric Crows were the best.

Also I found lightning to be more or less ineffective against Handymen. Fire was the only thing that felt like it did something. Maybe I'll try crows next time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    How do Hard and 1999 mode differ? Is 1999 mode just more difficult, or does it do something like Metro 2033's Ranger Hardcore, make everything do more damage, to you and enemies, resources are scarcer, etc?

I too would like to know the answer to this question. I'll probably pick this up tonight or tomorrow... And will probably want to play either Hard or 1999.

• Options

I learned this pretty late in the game. The upgraded crows also worked because killing a crowed enemy turned it into a crow's nest for all the other enemies around it. Electric Crows were the best.

Also I found lightning to be more or less ineffective against Handymen. Fire was the only thing that felt like it did something. Maybe I'll try crows next time.

Yeah, Shock Jock did almost nothing to Handymen. It's why I had Devil's Kiss and Shock Jock as my two primary powers, fully upgraded, because Devil's Kiss is way more effective against handy men, but Shock Jock is more generally useful throughout the game.

• Options

I do too, but none of the covers / rag-time remakes are on the soundtrack. It's just the original orchestrated score. Which is fantastic, but I want it all gawsh darnit.

i guess i should rephrase and say i want to buy a theoretical version of the soundtrack which has the stuff that i actually care about on it.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I think Crows was the MVP for Vigors for me throughout the game. Huge area coverage, get the perk that makes dead enemies set up more traps, plus the pants that generate a big shock when you overkill enemies and you have just hilariously massive area control every time you pop a guy.

This discussion has been closed.