Options

The Romney Administration: The First 70 Days [NOT A GENERAL POLITICS THREAD]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Keystone basically has neither a positive nor a negative long term impact.

Unless it explodes or leaks or something.

It sort of just is.

Primarily because it's not our oil and it's going to be shipped off to China.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

It sort of just is.

The tar sands are extraordinarily dirty and should never be exploited. The horrible wars over water rights over the next century are not something we're going to enjoy.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

It sort of just is.

The tar sands are extraordinarily dirty and should never be exploited. The horrible wars over water rights over the next century are not something we're going to enjoy.

I was speaking economically.

But yes.

This will not stop the pipeline though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

It sort of just is.

Really? Are we getting anything out of this outside of an opportunity for a giant tar sands related disaster?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

It sort of just is.

Really? Are we getting anything out of this outside of an opportunity for a giant tar sands related disaster?

Essentially nothing

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

It sort of just is.

This isn't going to happen, though.

You might as well say coal is incredibly dirty I guess we better throttle the country's power use by 40%

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Just build more rails. I just had a steak dinner and am enjoying a pretty decent drink right now. The Acela is literally the best way to travel, short of a blimp with Orc slaves. Let me travel everywhere like this, Obama.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

It sort of just is.

You might as well say coal is incredibly dirty I guess we better throttle the country's power use by 40%

if those who created environmental disasters, especially the kind that are slow to build up rather than being caused by a single extraordinary event, were actually compelled to bear the costs of them then some of the worst potential energy sources, such as tar sands, would never be exploited as other energy sources would be cheaper.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The problem with rails is us poor west-coasters aren't ever going to get any. Nowhere near the population density to make it worthwhile.

How's about some internet infrastructure that isn't immediately given away to a telecom? I'm pretty sure I'd get better service from the US Post and Internet Office than fucking Comcast.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    since corporations are people lets elect Google president

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

A fiber optic mandate across the nation! The horror! D:

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Executive order: everyone can track and sell all personal information.
    Executive order: using bing or yahoo makes you an enemy combatant.
    Executive order: all cell phones must be the size of a tractor trailer.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

the last thing google needs is more power.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013

Nah, let's just let our corporate overlords vote for us instead! They know how to do it in our best interests!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

It sort of just is.

if those who created environmental disasters, especially the kind that are slow to build up rather than being caused by a single extraordinary event, were actually compelled to bear the costs of them then some of the worst potential energy sources, such as tar sands, would never be exploited as other energy sources would be cheaper.

I agree with this, but I still think you'd see some development of the tar sands.

It'd probably be a lot more environmentally friendly, but you'd still see development on some level.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular

It sort of just is.

Essentially nothing

We get to buy the price at the oil speculators think we should pay.

So there's that.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    The problem with rails is us poor west-coasters aren't ever going to get any. Nowhere near the population density to make it worthwhile.

How's about some internet infrastructure that isn't immediately given away to a telecom? I'm pretty sure I'd get better service from the US Post and Internet Office than fucking Comcast.

I want a SoCal to SF/SoCal to Vegas train so bad. :(

Okay, the Vegas train is probably a bad idea and would be really gross, but if they make it out of plastic you could just hose it down when it gets to its destination.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

o_O
    California is literally the only State in the nation attempting to build out true high speed rail, and connecting Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver is well within the appropriate distance for rail travel. The problem is that rail investment (either passenger or freight) have large direct investment benefits for a small number of States with only slight indirect benefits through improved movement of goods and commerce for the nation as a whole. Meaning that all the places which aren't going to have a train station aren't likely to vote to allow funding no matter the ROI or underlying business sense of the investment. Hell, even places that will benefit directly may well be opposed solely due to tribal signalling since railroads cost billions to be made by French central planners or something. Unlike roads, which are completely free and promote freedom with their free ways and naturally spring up from the good earth without planning or union labor.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I'd love to see some actual high speed rail in this country. Even the Acela isn't really high speed. If I remember correctly, the Acela doesn't even get to its max speed on most of its route, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

It sort of just is.

Essentially nothing

There might be a few more refinery jobs opened down at the endpoint terminal if we do the safe thing and process the oil before shipping it out.

It won't do anything for the price of gas though, the US can already buy tar sands oil no problem, as has been stated, the pipeline just lets them ship to China.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I'd love to see some actual high speed rail in this country. Even the Acela isn't really high speed. If I remember correctly, the Acela doesn't even get to its max speed on most of its route, right?

It's a slow train by modern standards, but the fastest in America, it just can't get to doped because it doesn't have dedicated track. But it's so civilized, especially first class. The hot towel service actually just came around.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They says that the Punk in Cyberpunk is dead. But every day brings me one step closer to my favorite dystopian future.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options

It's a slow train by modern standards, but the fastest in America, it just can't get to doped because it doesn't have dedicated track. But it's so civilized, especially first class. The hot towel service actually just came around.

My understanding of Acela is that Amtrak owns the right of way (or it is shared with municipal transit authorities, but that's nearly the same thing since we aren't talking about timetabling around freight trains with property rights) however that right of way uses track routes that are nearly a century old in some places and as such aren't really all that straight and so aren't amenable to high speed standards. It averages over ~90 mph, which is easily better than driving and slightly better than flying when taking security and transportation from the airport to downtown into account, but still practically half the speed we would be capable of achieving with off the shelf parts if we ever felt like investing in nice things.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'd have to do some searching but I remember seeing something about how not being able to ship the tar sand to like China, results in a slight dip in prices for parts of the midwest because those are the only places certain goods made from the tar sands can easily get to.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

o_O
    California is literally the only State in the nation attempting to build out true high speed rail, and connecting Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver is well within the appropriate distance for rail travel. The problem is that rail investment (either passenger or freight) have large direct investment benefits for a small number of States with only slight indirect benefits through improved movement of goods and commerce for the nation as a whole. Meaning that all the places which aren't going to have a train station aren't likely to vote to allow funding no matter the ROI or underlying business sense of the investment. Hell, even places that will benefit directly may well be opposed solely due to tribal signalling since railroads cost billions to be made by French central planners or something. Unlike roads, which are completely free and promote freedom with their free ways and naturally spring up from the good earth without planning or union labor.

It makes perfect sense for California, and arguably the whole coast, as the west is so spread out that you'd really only need to be connecting the huge population centers. And it would be popular as all hell; air travel is awful. Of course the problem is that to really do it would mean building track through some incredibly expensive areas, and the people in those areas have already begun preparations to stop it at almost any cost. A man can dream though.

(Were it me I'd just start royally abusing eminent domain, the SC has already given the govt. incredibly wide latitude in its use, might as well take them up on it.)

• Options
    Sacramento is about ~80 miles further from Portland than is economical for high speed rail to compete with air travel, and everything else is obviously further still, even if you had it run express past the capital. Places need to be no closer than ~100 miles and no further than ~500 miles. You can fudge on things a bit, especially the shorter distance if you're daisy chaining to somewhere else (like Chicago to Minneapolis via Milwaukee) but anything else is better served by alternate modes.

Of course, if you have a major city halfway between then you can simply have two lines with a transfer or one excessively long line that effectively is timetabled as two trunk lines rather than expecting people to stay on it the whole length. But that's all more or less a question of placing hubs and naming conventions than anything significant. Chicago to New York is just a bit too far apart, especially with Appalachia in between. Chicago to Pittsburgh and also Pittsburgh to New York, however, makes some sense independently. So do both and you have the option of taking the train the whole length even if flying would be faster. That doesn't really work with, say, Eugene.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    This is giving me the vapors for a [rail thread]. I'm the in the middle of a busy few weeks so I can't commit the time to OPing one at the moment. But I sure would appreciate reading someone else's. We could discuss U.S. high speed rail, TGV, ICE, Shinkansen, and of course monorails! Or how about a little Warren Buffett and his new train set?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Let's bring this back on topic. If Socks was in charge, we'd have all kinds of alternative modes of transportation:

Train_cat.jpg

tumblr_m9rmob63xm1ryq0j3o1_500.jpg

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Look at those fat cats with their yachts and perfect mountain views! Clearly they are out of touch with working-class cats who have to crowd into back alleys and walk to places, meowing for their day's food. Have those cats ever had a day where the food bowl wasn't filled to the brim? I think not

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Executive order: everyone can track and sell all personal information.
    Executive order: using bing or yahoo makes you an enemy combatant.
    Executive order: all cell phones must be the size of a tractor trailer.

Executive order 85: all cell phones must be the size of a babies fist.
    Executive order 124: all cell phones must be the size of a boeing 737.
    Executive order 145: all cell phones must be the size of a late blooming protazoa
    Executive order 321: The Cell Phone orbits us. The Cell Phone loves us.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    They says that the Punk in Cyberpunk is dead. But every day brings me one step closer to my favorite dystopian future.

Closer? We live in an age where giant corporations can basically act however they want in interfering with our lives. We have gotten to the point where people are getting new and exciting forms of biotic implants. We have access to a giant planet spanning network upon which we can communicate with anyone that is accessed by a tiny tablet that fits in my pocket.

We live in a cyberpunk dystopia. It's just not as bad as it could be.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Closer? We live in an age where giant corporations can basically act however they want in interfering with our lives. We have gotten to the point where people are getting new and exciting forms of biotic implants. We have access to a giant planet spanning network upon which we can communicate with anyone that is accessed by a tiny tablet that fits in my pocket.

We live in a cyberpunk dystopia. It's just not as bad as it could be.

Cyberpunk made the mistake of assuming corporations would bother to assume direct power.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The horrible wars over water rights over the next century are not something we're going to enjoy.

I beg to differ! We will be rich rich rich! Rule Britannia

(we've just had 10 months of almost continuous bloody rain)

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    The horrible wars over water rights over the next century are not something we're going to enjoy.

I beg to differ! We will be rich rich rich! Rule Britannia

(we've just had 10 months of almost continuous bloody rain)

I don't think blood rain is any more healthy for crops and drinking water then oil contaminated groundwater.

I am very disappointed Obama is going for all this austerity stuff rather then railing against it, but I honestly don't think it would make a difference practically with the GOP opposition.

The environmental adaptation office though is great, the US really needs to get in front of the changes if there is any hope of mitigating the major concerns.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

I'm looking forward to getting augmentations.

I did ask for this.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

My understanding of Acela is that Amtrak owns the right of way (or it is shared with municipal transit authorities, but that's nearly the same thing since we aren't talking about timetabling around freight trains with property rights) however that right of way uses track routes that are nearly a century old in some places and as such aren't really all that straight and so aren't amenable to high speed standards. It averages over ~90 mph, which is easily better than driving and slightly better than flying when taking security and transportation from the airport to downtown into account, but still practically half the speed we would be capable of achieving with off the shelf parts if we ever felt like investing in nice things.

the problem with the Acela is it is way too expensive. to get from dc to New York, it costs $300 round trip per person and takes 3 hours each way. I can drive it in 4, and only use one tank of gas for $50 round trip in my car.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

the problem with the Acela is it is way too expensive. to get from dc to New York, it costs $300 round trip per person and takes 3 hours each way. I can drive it in 4, and only use one tank of gas for $50 round trip in my car.

Too expensive for you, but the Acela is regularly sold out so not too expensive for its customers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Too expensive for you, but the Acela is regularly sold out so not too expensive for its customers.

Might as well attach some Pullman cars to it.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013

If I were making that trip, I'd probably spend the extra to get there faster and be able to do things while in transit instead of having to concentrate on driving the whole way.

Interstate driving is boring and exhausting.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    One place the Acela nails pricing is the $80-100 up charge for first class. At that amount, it sells put almost every train. Contrast planes that might have to upgrade half the first class seats do they don't sit empty (which still means empty seats on the plane).

This discussion has been closed.