Options

PAX Prime 2013 Costume Thread

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Just throwing it out there, but I plan on going as a female Booker DeWitt (even though I'd prefer to cosplay as a dude, I'm not a dude and couldn't pull it off).
    Got a few of the pieces I need ready, just gonna purchase the sky hook (hopefully it'll be acceptable) and a few more accessories. It would be neat to see an Elizabeth or more Bookers, that's for sure!
    Looking forward to everyone's cosplays regardless! c:

Hey, I'm a short little Asian girl and I thought I pulled off Terry Bogard relatively well last year. ;P

In fact, I'm considering bring him back again; I'm been doing some training and my arms are already looking much more ripped than they were last year! The wig was stupid heavy though, I wasn't expecting that. And my BF kept calling me "little boy". And I was mistaken for Ash Ketchum by this lady at Fedex. -_____-

kemikal on
    Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    SwiftThiefLurraSwiftThiefLurra Registered User regular
    kemikal wrote: »
    Hey, I'm a short little Asian girl and I thought I pulled off Terry Bogard relatively well last year. ;P

In fact, I'm considering bring him back again; I'm been doing some training and my arms are already looking much more ripped than they were last year! The wig was stupid heavy though, I wasn't expecting that. And my BF kept calling me "little boy". And I was mistaken for Ash Ketchum by this lady at Fedex. -_____-

Haha, very cool. Only reason I'm going for a Fem!Booker is because of his stubble and I'm really short and Booker is like 6 foot (that's not /that/ big of deal, but still).

That would be very neat if you did cosplay him again, would like to see it!
    And Ash... Ketchum... I just... WAT.

• Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if Crabcat Industries is going to be hosting another panel this year? I don't get into the whole cosplay thing myself, but their cosplay panel and pageant in 2011 was probably one of my 2 or 3 all-time favourite PAX moments.

• Options
    krysrussell13krysrussell13 Registered User new member
    I will be doing Arcade Sona :3 I cosplay quite a bit and plan on making this functional (keyboard works, etc) and full of LED's :D

• Options
    WolfmanASTNWolfmanASTN Registered User regular
    Got tickets! Along with my Iron Man suit I'm thinking about trying a Booker Dewitt Cosplay as well, and maybe a genderbent Mechromancer if I can pull it off

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    I will be doing Arcade Sona :3 I cosplay quite a bit and plan on making this functional (keyboard works, etc) and full of LED's :D
    Seeing a functional keyboard Arcade Sona would be one of my highlights of PAX (I did like the ones I saw this past East though!)

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Seeing a functional keyboard Arcade Sona would be one of my highlights of PAX (I did like the ones I saw this past East though!)

I agree! And if it also doubled as a functional fight stick... *swoon*

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    greymockingbirdgreymockingbird Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Finally having tickets for Prime has made me excited to finish my Bioshock Elizabeth costume. The corset is mostly done, just awaiting a bit more trim and insertion of grommets. I may make my partner a Booker costume. We'll also be wearing Star Trek TOS uniforms one day. Since there's an extra day this year I want to do one more set of costumes, but I haven't been able to settle on an idea long enough to start planning it. (Can't decide between some Marvel characters, Adam West Batman & Robin, Doctor Who, Persona 4...)

greymockingbird on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I've a random question. One of my friends wants to do a Lutece two person costume, and we're trying to figure out how to make a coin that you can flip and always turn up heads, without having it be two-sided Heads. Any thoughts? I thought maybe some tiny neodymium magnets may work, but dunno.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Red rubber would be fine

• Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    While I think I could pull it off I have a feeling that Booker Dewitt is going to be a very popular costume this year also I'm on the lazy side so I'm thinking the main character from Hotline Miami is what I will be going for.

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    neo_blade01neo_blade01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    This should be a pretty awesome year! I'm planning on going as Mario, but in a more contemporary form (that is non-overalls), yet in keeping with tradition. Basically, if he were a plumber today, in the real world.

neo_blade01 on
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    Whoah I step away from the forums while the hub bub of passes dies down and I miss everything!
    Looking forward to seeing all the WIP pics and final results!! Sounds like we have some ambitious and awesome plans this year in the costuming world!

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    apocalypticashapocalypticash Seattle-ishRegistered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Crabcat Industries is going to be hosting another panel this year? I don't get into the whole cosplay thing myself, but their cosplay panel and pageant in 2011 was probably one of my 2 or 3 all-time favourite PAX moments.

I imagine that if they are there, they will do SOMEthing. I'm obviously not sure what it will be yet, since it's still VERY early though.

• Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    I missed out last year with tickets, which would have been my sixth year in a row. So this year my moogle will be back, I think my group is cross dressing firefly (I will be Mal), and either my tardis/console costume or I will make my D&D character (It is an Alchemy Chemist with flask lobber and huge spiked hammer) for the last costume. I know that I want my D&D costume at least by GeekGirlCon but we will see if it appears at PAX.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Just throwing it out there, but I plan on going as a female Booker DeWitt (even though I'd prefer to cosplay as a dude, I'm not a dude and couldn't pull it off).
    Got a few of the pieces I need ready, just gonna purchase the sky hook (hopefully it'll be acceptable) and a few more accessories. It would be neat to see an Elizabeth or more Bookers, that's for sure!

A Fem Booker DeWitt cosplay will be so awesome. I'm going to be Elizabeth at Prime, do you know what days you're going to be fem!Booker? I'd love to get a photo if we can. :) (also, I'm also hoping they'll accept sky hooks replicas. Apparently they're not sharp and it's just a spiny wheel? Fingers crossed.)

embraceternity on
  • Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular

A Fem Booker DeWitt cosplay will be so awesome. I'm going to be Elizabeth at Prime, do you know what days you're going to be fem!Booker? I'd love to get a photo if we can. :) (also, I'm also hoping they'll accept sky hooks replicas. Apparently they're not sharp and it's just a spiny wheel? Fingers crossed.)

i saw several pictures from PAX east of people with skyhooks. they looked fairly real dunno if they were home-made or not. i'm excited to see all the Bioshock cosplay. I'm going as a Handyman Saturday and maybe Sunday as well (maybe with an alternate skin i'm way too tall to be Booker lol). i like that the lore of the game allows for lots of Bookers and Elizabeths and Fembookers and Helizabeths to be running around in one place. Friday i'm going as Pentakill yorick.

• Options
    AtronachAtronach SeattleRegistered User regular

oh man oh man oh man! I'm playing Infinite right now (about half way through) and it's so amazing! I'm glad there's going to be at least one Booker at PAX :3 Since I'm dropping my Silent Hill cosplay I was possibly thinking of attempting to cosplay the Songbird (nooo idea how yet lol)

PAX 2013 Cosplay:
    Skyrim - Flame Atronach & Female Daedric
    Mass Effect 3 - Jack
  • Options
    roxyoursocksroxyoursocks Registered User regular
    AaronC wrote: »
    Thanks for the question, I'm happy to provide guidance on this issue.

The gun rules are strict, that strictness is on purpose. Nothing that looks like a Glock (the gun in your reference photo) is going to be allowed, so even a half gun that can't come out of the holster still gives the impression of a real gun and thus is not allowed.

The criteria for real gun is based on people who know what real guns and space guns look like, so while a stormtroopers blaster looks "real" in its own context and is actually based on real guns, its OK. The same with a Gears of War ripper gun and things like that.

Guns that are clearly copies of real guns are not allowed.

In your specific case I would either go with something wood or something clearly a toy. Alternatively get a holster with a flap over it that covers the empty.

tl:dr Copy of a glock is out, space guns are ok.

Ok, thanks so much!

• Options
    ElleonElleon Registered User regular
    Elleon wrote: »
    Registration done (thanks to buddies) and cosplay for Metal Gear Solid is on. Maybe DMC4 if there is time/funds to allocate to it.

So looking forward to your group cosplay, MGS is my absolute favorite! ^_^

Awesome! I'm really hoping it comes together. We're looking to have a Snake, Otacon, Drebin, Johnny, Meryl, and hopefully a Naomi. Always open to do pictures with other cosplayers as well!

Just drop me a line!

• Options
    SwiftThiefLurraSwiftThiefLurra Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

I'm going to be putting as much time into refining it as possible, so I hope I won't disappoint. (: Oh man, that's awesome! Friday and Saturday I'll definitely be wearing it, and hopefully Sunday, just depends on my mood then (not going Monday ;~; ). And of course! I'd love to get some photos, that would be great. c: Same here, I just bought mine, the SkyHooks are fully functioning, but unless you really throw your arm out I don't think they would prove a problem. The spinning is kinda, well, pathetic and wouldn't do anything to anyone. But yeah, here's to hoping!
    Membino wrote: »
    i saw several pictures from PAX east of people with skyhooks. they looked fairly real dunno if they were home-made or not. i'm excited to see all the Bioshock cosplay. I'm going as a Handyman Saturday and maybe Sunday as well (maybe with an alternate skin i'm way too tall to be Booker lol). i like that the lore of the game allows for lots of Bookers and Elizabeths and Fembookers and Helizabeths to be running around in one place. Friday i'm going as Pentakill yorick.

That's a good sign! Maybe they were the NECA one (which is the one I got) . A Handyman!? Oh man, that is going to be so sweet. I can't wait to see that outfit! And same here, cause technically there can be that many Bookers and Elizabeth's in one place (even of the opposite gender too, I think)
    Atronach wrote: »
    oh man oh man oh man! I'm playing Infinite right now (about half way through) and it's so amazing! I'm glad there's going to be at least one Booker at PAX :3 Since I'm dropping my Silent Hill cosplay I was possibly thinking of attempting to cosplay the Songbird (nooo idea how yet lol)

It is amazing! Fantastic game. <3 A Songbird? GOOD GOLLY, that would be freaking A+ right there. I get the feeling this PAX Prime is going to have some very cool cosplays, especially from the BioShock Infinite universe. c:

SwiftThiefLurra on
  • Options
    Hmmm...Anyone know a good way to paint PVC? Basically, how do you make PVC look like copper pipe?

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    GeoTheCarGeoTheCar Orlando, FloridaRegistered User new member
    @Dragon6860 Use some sand paper to add detail and scruff marks and then use a mix of spray paint( silver spray paint and layer a bronze spray paint on top of it?) Good luck :D

Prime 2013 Status: [✓] 4-Day Passes [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Unrelenting Excitement
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    @Dragon6860 Rustoleum makes a great metallic paint that list plastic as something it will paint over. It works great, I used three coats to paint Spackle/Bondo and it came out almost mirror bright

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    mikozillamikozilla Queen of Ferelden WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Posted on here way way back, but as plans have changed..

I'll likely be wearing my Blood Dragon FemShep again, since I have a friend who wants to do Liara. Also, (if I manage to get a Saturday pass later), I'll have Morrigan from DA, Merrill's post-romance armor from DA2 and Dryad Soraka from LoL. If I only go 3 days I'll have to figure it out or pick and choose. :E

• Options
    Browncoat565Browncoat565 Registered User regular
    so this year I am considering bringing down my resident evil umbrella corps security cosplay, but living in canada I am somewhat concerned about bringing a tac vest, swat helmet, holster and gas mask across the border. any other canadianss out there with experience in this? I doubt they'll care about the red gun or blue gun I'm planning to buy since it will be either red or blue and all rubber

• Options
    GrimWulfGrimWulf Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Thinking of doing a Salvador from Borderlands 2. Was wondering if I should go for the stock face/beard, and if so what the best way to make that would be.

@Browncoat565 May want to check the front page of thread about the 'blue gun' sounds like they'll fail the 'looks real from a distance' rule.

GrimWulf on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    There shouldn't be any problem with skyhooks or the red guns

AaronC on
  • Options
    X DarkFairy XX DarkFairy X Registered User regular
    I'll be Faith Connors from Mirror's Edge this year! I got it all done in time for Sakura-Con last month, so I'm really itching to have something else to work on between now and PAX. Not sure if I want to fix up one of my old Assassin's Creed costumes, or start on something new...

• Options
    Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    so this year I am considering bringing down my resident evil umbrella corps security cosplay, but living in canada I am somewhat concerned about bringing a tac vest, swat helmet, holster and gas mask across the border. any other canadianss out there with experience in this? I doubt they'll care about the red gun or blue gun I'm planning to buy since it will be either red or blue and all rubber

AWESOME, will be nice to see a fellow USS soldier! Going again as my Umbrella Soldier (with Umbrella umbrella) same as last year, but I'll be sporting a red rubber shotgun this time. Hope to see you around!

• Options
    Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    There shouldn't be any problem with skyhooks or the red gun/blue guns

So are Blue Guns back in? I know a while ago you said Blue Guns were out, but other bright colors were ok, such as red guns.

• Options
    VangardeVangarde SeattleRegistered User regular
    This is the second hoodie I made for last year's PAX. It's getting a few minor alterations before the upcoming one. gotta tighten the hood up a bit since the open collar design made it really easy for the hood to slide off my head when I did parkour in it. Third AC hoodie starts production next month.
    Also really tempted to make a hatty hattington cosplay just for one day as well since its a 4-day con now.
    409018_10151300182911318_2125280911_n.jpg I wish the pic was a bit smaller. =/

• Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Ok plans are solidified for the most part now. Parts of my group have three or more days of the convention to play and cosplay! I think Friday I will be wearing my D&D character costume (think mad alchemy chemist w/chemical flask launcher and gaint spiky hammer) which is still in design stage, Saturday will be gender bending firefly with the group (I will be Mal), and my moogle will of course be returning for the third year (not in a row, missed tickets last year). Being the group in 2011 that gender bended Doctor Who and the Companions plus Tardis/Console (me), firefly is going to be a ball! Our Amelia Pond got lots of attention (click on my photobucket link to see my pax costumes over the years). All my costumes will be lots of fun this year.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    There shouldn't be any problem with skyhooks or the red gun/blue guns

So are Blue Guns back in? I know a while ago you said Blue Guns were out, but other bright colors were ok, such as red guns.

Opps. soory about that, blue guns are out due to being to dark. Good catch.

• Options
    Hey, is there any particular day that the people break out their big costumes? My mom and dad are going to their first PAX and they decided they want to cosplay as characters from Ticket To Ride, and I was just wondering if there's a good day for them to do it.

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    Friday and Saturday are usually the big days for Cosplay. With a four day con, we might see more on Sunday than we usually do. I always wear my best cosplay for Saturday.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    Agreed Saturday is usually the day when people brig out the big guns. Sunday I usually see more relaxed cosplay since its the last day and people are usually winding down and trying to squeeze in as much of pax as possible and wearing a costume wile navigating the expo hall is quite the challenge sometimes,but with the 4th day im sure Sunday will be another big cosplay day.

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • Options
    DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    I'll definitely be in costume Saturday and Sunday. If I get around to making a third costume, I'll be wearing it on Friday.

Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • Options
    I do have a quick prop allowance question.
    I'm thinking of doing a genderbender cosplay.(totally love that term) of Mal from Firefly. I have a full prop replica of his gun, and I'm wondering if it would be allowed in?
    Amazon link

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    apocalypticashapocalypticash Seattle-ishRegistered User regular
    Probably not. It's too close (even with the added stuff) to a real looking gun.