Options

Really Makes Ya [Chat], Don't it?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Plus every mission I do I end up with like, negative police points because apparently even hitting a trash can makes you get negative police points.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    I just find the gameplay really lacking in AAA titles.

They are so focussed on the graphics and cinematic appeal that they miss the core part of games. The gameplay.

That's why I love Hotline Miami. It's all about the gameplay. I have no problems doing a level 50 times in that game just to get it perfect. And the music just fills your world until you are a rush of neon colours and heavy bass.

Farcry 3 just felt like sniping from a hill for hours, then watching some people so rich i can't relate to them having a bad time.

Sleeping Dogs was just running around. Going into combat against melee was just counterattack after counterattack. Ranged was headshot after headshot.

Cool movies. But not so great as games.

Not that they were bad. Just. Hotline Miami man.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    in fact i'm certain the same thing would have happened to me in that position

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Hipster Bartender is one of my favorite images.

@deebaser
    what, this guy?

tgif_hipster.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    But I loved putting damage on the stack before sacrificing a dude. :cry:

the stack is unintuitive as fuck for new players

They should have done computer science like me and learned about queues and stacks. emot-colbert.gif

Also you think stacks are awkward, read up on interrupts.

interrupts/instants are easy to grasp the idea of though

the stack can be incredibly unintuitive because there's so many goofy things you can do

like countering your own oblivion ring to permanently exile something

that makes no sense if you don't understand the stack

having that be a thing that happens every turn is dumb
    Casual wrote: »
    Im having a hard time getting into sleeping dogs

Saints Row has soured my taste for sandbox games where I can't be a russian lady sociopath with physically implausible proportions who flies a pink helicopter

saints row 3 sucked

YOUR FACE SUCKS

YOU SUCK THINGS WITH YOUR FACE

sorry man they went way too far into "let's be over the top and CRAAAAAAAZY" for me

like some of the missions are incredibly fun, like the end of the luchadore story or the penthouse takeover

but those need to be blowoffs in terms of how bananas it is, not the baseline

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you have to love the setting in Sleeping Dogs to really get into it I think, fortunately I do and I thought it was a great game because of it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I never found the stack mechanic to be daunting to understand. (VS also used the stack) But my issue is knowing when to use the stack effectively. Sometimes the computer uses it really well against me in DotP and I'm like "woah".

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Wait you just sat on a hill in Far Cry 3 and sniped?

You didn't do mountain wingsuit parachute ninja assassin tiger liberation mauldeath base assaults?

You were doing it wrong

• Options
    when people say the melee combat in sleeping dogs is just counters i stare at them because no it definitely is not and maybe you should stop relying on counters so much

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I never noticed how he was making the same expression as the dog tattoo on his arm...

Is this like... real life avfacing?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh Arrow why you so silly

http://www.abload.de/img/flip9nyo3.gif

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Saints Row has soured my taste for sandbox games where I can't be a russian lady sociopath with physically implausible proportions who flies a pink helicopter

saints row 3 sucked

I will fite u
    Does Sleeping Dogs get better than drive somewhere>beat up some dudes>drive somewhere>collect something>drive somewhere>cutscene?

I'm only a couple hours in but it seems like that's all there is so far? Plus it keeps "losing" the gun that comes with the Rico outfit from Just Cause 2. Like I leave the apartment with the gun, go do something, a fight starts and whoops, I don't have the gun any more.

The game disarms you whenever a mission would be too easy with a gun

It's a thing sandbox games do, like not being able to use choppers in some saints row missions or your weapons you've upgraded

It's something I wish game designers would not do

If you weren't using DLC guns, this wouldn't really be happening in Sleeping Dogs. Part of the game's aesthetic is the difficulty of getting a gun in Hong Kong. When you start having them available, it's the signal for a serious escalation in the violence of the story.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Wait you just sat on a hill in Far Cry 3 and sniped?

You didn't do mountain wingsuit parachute ninja assassin tiger liberation mauldeath base assaults?

You were doing it wrong

Once you unlock the crazy sniper rifle with exploding bullets and a huge scope what else is there.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    the only difference between me and mal is i wouldnt have holed up

i would have awkwardly walked across the floor through the mass of writhing bodies being all "excuse me, sorry, coming through, oh good lord im sorry i didn't mean to tread on that" while cradling my drink

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    So, trying to convince myself not to pick up a 3ds and FE and all the Atlus games I've been behind on tonight --

send halp

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    when people say the melee combat in sleeping dogs is just counters i stare at them because no it definitely is not and maybe you should stop relying on counters so much
    Why? They are the most effective and safe.

Punch punch punch oh no someone is attacking me. Counter.
    Repeat.

See Bayonetta could be described as this but it has a scoring system assoc. And enemies who react to you using the same moves. So it becomes something more.

Similar idea with hotline, you get a terrible score for lack of variety.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I'll remember hearthstone, blizzards electronic card game, because the first time I played it at pax my friend and I picked the same warrior deck and I took all 30 of his hp without taking any damage

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    spool32 wrote: »

saints row 3 sucked

I will fite u
    Does Sleeping Dogs get better than drive somewhere>beat up some dudes>drive somewhere>collect something>drive somewhere>cutscene?

I'm only a couple hours in but it seems like that's all there is so far? Plus it keeps "losing" the gun that comes with the Rico outfit from Just Cause 2. Like I leave the apartment with the gun, go do something, a fight starts and whoops, I don't have the gun any more.

It's a thing sandbox games do, like not being able to use choppers in some saints row missions or your weapons you've upgraded

If you weren't using DLC guns, this wouldn't really be happening in Sleeping Dogs. Part of the game's aesthetic is the difficulty of getting a gun in Hong Kong. When you start having them available, it's the signal for a serious escalation in the violence of the story.

Huh? No, in all kinds of missions you get guns that spontaneously vanish or you can't draw until you complete a segment of a mission that has a no guns allowed rule

And that's bullshit, there are a half dozen missions where you drive around killing hundreds of guys in a car chase with a machinegun

I mean Sleeping Dogs is okay, but the plot is super predictable, the gunplay is only okay (and a substantial portion of the game), the graphics are good but what isn't, and the melee combat is more complex but just countering is the most efficient strategy (which I guess is similar to the far cry 3 complaint about sniping everything). At least for me in sleeping dogs I counter, leg break, and throw guys into things and thats about it

then it decides this is now gun time and everyone in the world has a gun

override367 on
  • Options

saints row 3 sucked

I will fite u

Then the game shouldn't give me a DLC suit just for having Just Cause 2 on my PC that comes with a gun, if they don't want me to have a gun.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    So, trying to convince myself not to pick up a 3ds and FE and all the Atlus games I've been behind on tonight --

send halp

Wait till Shin Megami Tensei 4 then get a 3ds

• Options
    anyway everyone read Young Avengers

there's a two page spread in it that's just amazing

Repeat.

See Bayonetta could be described as this but it has a scoring system assoc. And enemies who react to you using the same moves. So it becomes something more.

blaming the developer for you not wanting to do anything but what is the most safe thing is stupid

especially when the rest of the combat system is so fun once you start unlocking moves

snapping arms

snapping legs

death touch

stunning a guy with a knee to the face and then punting him in the head

so good

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    Who the heck shows up at an orgy not ready to have an orgy. That's not a decision you make after you're at an orgy.

because it's hard to know if you're ready to have an orgy until you go to an orgy

i can easily imagine it being a good idea in theory but then you go and your brain starts screaming NOPE WE OUT

i get that

i don't get the idea that falling asleep in a miserable fetal position under a desk is preferable to stepping over the participants.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I just find the gameplay really lacking in AAA titles.

They are so focussed on the graphics and cinematic appeal that they miss the core part of games. The gameplay.

That's why I love Hotline Miami. It's all about the gameplay. I have no problems doing a level 50 times in that game just to get it perfect. And the music just fills your world until you are a rush of neon colours and heavy bass.

Farcry 3 just felt like sniping from a hill for hours, then watching some people so rich i can't relate to them having a bad time.

Sleeping Dogs was just running around. Going into combat against melee was just counterattack after counterattack. Ranged was headshot after headshot.

Cool movies. But not so great as games.

Not that they were bad. Just. Hotline Miami man.

There was an article in the G&T Industry thread who says part of the reason "cinematic" gameplay is flourishing is pressure from executives who have little understanding of games and therefore try to ape the popularity of Hollywood Baysplosions.

• Options
    I don't understand how you can reduce grinding somebody's face into an A/C fan and then lifting the next guy up and bodyslamming him onto a collection of swordfish mouths all the way down to "beating up some dudes"

That shit is amazing!

• Options
    I guess in Sleeping Dogs / Farcry 3 the enemies are an obstacle to your goal.

In hotline / bayonetta they are the means for you to acheive your goal.

For me at least one is boring the other makes for good gameplay.

• Options

Although SR3 did this right in that when they took away your guns to make you use a certain gun, it was always more insane. "Play this rails helicopter mission with JUST the lock-on rocket launcher and infinite missiles."

OK!

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Who the heck shows up at an orgy not ready to have an orgy. That's not a decision you make after you're at an orgy.

because it's hard to know if you're ready to have an orgy until you go to an orgy

i can easily imagine it being a good idea in theory but then you go and your brain starts screaming NOPE WE OUT

i get that

i don't get the idea that falling asleep in a miserable fetal position under a desk is preferable to stepping over the participants.

on that we are agreed

• Options
    I don't understand how you can reduce grinding somebody's face into an A/C fan and then lifting the next guy up and bodyslamming him onto a collection of swordfish mouths all the way down to "beating up some dudes"

That shit is amazing!

also this

lemme just shove your face into a stove and set your head on fire

lemme just jam you into an ice chipper

lemme throw you in a tank of electric eels

• Options

That shit is amazing!

Because that turns combat into not much more than a grab+QTE.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    there's just so much shit to do in that game that when people say "i only do one thing this is boring" i have to assume it's their fault because there is nothing quite like taking on twenty dudes in the last fight club and only giving like half a fuck

and being on the offensive the entire time

just rip and tear

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Repeat.

Bayonetta's counter was really wasn't a counter as much as a dodge. Added with the witch time mechanic made it more of a method to continue your awesome and fun combos. When I think counter, I think of fighting games where you do a scripted reaction move that usually ends in a knockdown. What are counters like in Sleeping Dogs?

Also, when I heard people raving about combat in sleeping dogs. Nobody talked about counters. People talked about bashing peoples heads repeatedly into phone booths and railings and shit.

• Options
    "Hey bad guys, make sure not to attack me while my back is turned and I'm slamming one of your friends into a breaker box."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    @desc

yo god, how are you feeling today?

@TL dr

Burnothy my little teaspoon!

A little sluggish. Day 3 of valerian root extract before bed. Dreams are definitely affected but not in a crazy vivid color way like with a mugwort pillow. It's more like there's a low grade earthy depression -- like the dream is taking a lowered dusty walkway that's just adjacent to a more usual sidewalk.

Long long dream starting with a vague person who was kind of a conglomeration of [chat]ters who had made a sci fi RPG with black and white line art. This multiperson gave me the sheets and a bunch of water colors and brushes and told me to paint it with expressive colors.

So I was making practice sheets with the paint behaving strangely because of dream physics and then the dream suddenly transitioned into a really, really long thing where people were running down the street 28 days later meth zombie style and I was breaking in and out of houses and avoiding dogs and it was stressful.

And now I'm drinking an iced mocha.

How r u

@desc
    it is good to be alive

that is a pretty weird dream! why are you taking the valerian root; insomnia?

i'm way busy but good things are happening on the #savetheworld front. Met a dude last Saturday with some land who is interested in a massive Shiitake project and mycoremediation efforts, and he's introducing me to a dude this Saturday who knows Paul Stamets and is having a hands-on workshop

1. SAVE THE ERF YAY ^_^

2. Valerian: mostly I was looking to make a mugwort dream pillow again and saw random articles from crybabies about valerian root causing "weird dreams" and then I happened to see a little bottle of extract while burning money at Whole Foods so I snatched it to see what all the hub bub was about. The answer is it's very mild and everyone is a wuss.

@desc
    :D
    do you work with lucid dreams or dream interpretation? I had pretty vivid dreams when I was taking piracetam, but generally I don't remember my dreams much.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    far cry 3 was an unscripted action movie

it was awesome

919UOwT.png
  • Options

That shit is amazing!

it's also not the entirety of combat, there's enemies that it straight up does not work on, and once you use an environmental kill it can't be used again in that fight

and enemies can break out of it on the way to the kill

and there's only a limited number in any given scene and guess what

you still got more dudes once that's done

• Options

That shit is amazing!

it's also not the entirety of combat, there's enemies that it straight up does not work on, and once you use an environmental kill it can't be used again in that fight

and enemies can break out of it on the way to the kill

and there's only a limited number in any given scene and guess what

you still got more dudes once that's done

Combat in Sleeping Dogs is basically an 80's ninja assassin movie.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    vanguard i have to say Chanus did a stand up job on your av

i am tempted to comission his fine work in my on going tribute to scheck

What are we looking for here? You just want pink hair or you have something more involved in mind?
    Bear in mind hair is really easy to do and I'm not actually very artistically talented. :P

Step right up, sir. Step right up.

@Casual

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    far cry 3 was an unscripted action movie

it was awesome

the writing was fucking garbage

i'm sorry, it was

that game did not know what it wanted to be about

is it a game about insanity? is it about how gamers are desensitized to violence in games and we immediately accept that violence in the context of a game? is it about false "white savior" complexes? who knows? far cry 3 doesn't know.

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

i get that

2013-01-14-Social-Anxiety-Blues.jpg

This discussion has been closed.