As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need scotch recommendations.

OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdieCa-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
A close friend of mine recently did me a series of favors that enabled me to get a very good job. I wanted to repay him this with a bottle of scotch, as he is a very big fan of the drink. I myself enjoy scotch quite a bit, but my problem stems from the fact that we have very different taste. I have a very strong preference for peaty scotches, with my favorites generally being the smokier Islay whiskies. My friend, however has very little taste for smoke and tends to steer away from the flavors that dominate my preference. Knowing that he prefers lighter and fruitier scotches (he's currently working his way through a bottle of Dalmore 12 year), does anyone have any recommendations for what I could get him? Reasonable prices would be preferred.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
Onmitsu on

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Balvanie Doublewood 12? That's what I have right now, I don't like the peaty stuff either.

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    Me and my friends like Chivas Regal 12.

Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    What has your friend's experience been with peaty/smokey scotch? I personally found I disliked Laphroaig but am obsessed with Lagavuline 16 and Distiller's Edition.

I've found Maccallan 12 to be a very drinkable, inoffensive (and less expensive) scotch. You might also ask around whatever liquor store you go to (if not online), as they probably have a wider amount of knowledge.

Cobell on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Glenmorangie Lasanta is extremely tasty and should fit your friend's preferences.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I keep this bookmarked:

5VLzR.jpg

• Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Cobell wrote: »
    What has your friend's experience been with peaty/smokey scotch? I personally found I disliked Laphroaig but am obsessed with Lagavuline 16 and Distiller's Edition.

I've found Maccallan 12 to be a very drinkable, inoffensive (and less expensive) scotch. You might also ask around whatever liquor store you go to (if not online), as they probably have a wider amount of knowledge.

My friend's first experience with peaty/smokey scotch was Ardbeg's Corryvreckan, which is one of my personal favorites. He said it was way too strong/smokey for him. It's funny you mentioned Laphroaig, because I wasn't particularly fond of it either. Perhaps I should have introduced him to the peaty scotches more slowly. There's something to be said for all of these well-reviewed 12 years popping up.

Also, Usagi, that chart is fantastic and I am saving it.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Scotch is a very personal preference thing. As a gift, I would definitely get him something I know for a fact he enjoys. If you wanna power through anyway, I've never heard of anyone not liking Macallan 12, and it's pretty cheap.

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Your friend might like Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. That was one of my first good scotch experiences, and it remains one of my favorites.

The Balvenie 15 Single Barrel is also very good. It might be beyond your desired price point for this gift. Also, I don't know how your friend takes his scotch, but Ice Spheres are popular among those of my friends who like chilling their scotch. Could make an interesting gift accompaniment.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    That Quinta Ruban is really good stuff.

I'm surprised by that chart that the Laphroig 15 Year is a mirror on the chart compared to the 10 and 18 year. I'm curious about it now.

EDIT: It's a huge thread, but Debate & Discourse has an alchohol thread that has lots of discussion about whiskey, amongst other things. It might be worth asking there for some advice too, since not everyone visits H/A.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Auchentoshan 12 is great, if you got a bit more cash and wish to send him off into a more daring route i'd recommend the 56% cask-strenth Glenlivet Nadurra.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Auchentoshan 12 is great,if you got a bit more cash and wish to send him off into a more daring route i'd recommend the 56% cask-strenth Glenlivet Nadurra.

Auchentoshan 12 is dangerously good. Scotch isn't supposed to go down the hatch that easy. It's got a lot of scotch character and taste without a lot of scotch burn.

12 isn't always easy to come by and it can almost be a little light - Auchentoshan Three Wood is also super good

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    Also, Usagi, that chart is fantastic and I am saving it.

No prob, it's a super handy reference! Also I tend to really like less smoke and more sweetness, so my go-to personal scotch has been the Dalwhinnie 15

P.S. Laphroaig tastes like alcoholic hospital gauze

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    The Bruichladdich Rocks might fit the bill as well. It's an Islay, but it's a sweeter less smoky variety and is un-peated. I'm a big fan when I'm after something lighter. In fact I'm going to go have some right now.

The website has the tasting characteristics.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Also do you know if your friend has any scotch rocks or a Glencairn glass? They can be nice additional scotch related gifts.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Auchentoshan 12 is great, if you got a bit more cash and wish to send him off into a more daring route i'd recommend the 56% cask-strenth Glenlivet Nadurra.

The Glenlivet Nadurra is exceptionally strong. I have a bottle sitting in my suitcase right now. I feel that the burn from the alcohol overpowers the notes of the Scotch.

On the other hand though, the Laphroaig 10 is my go-to drinking scotch. I have a glass sitting next to me now!

Ill second the recommendation for the either the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban or Balvenie 15 Year Old Single Barrel. Both are excellent scotches.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The Bruichladdich Rocks might fit the bill as well. It's an Islay, but it's a sweeter less smoky variety and is un-peated. I'm a big fan when I'm after something lighter. In fact I'm going to go have some right now.

The website has the tasting characteristics.

As a fan of Islay scotch, I'm personally very intrigued by that. I was introduced to Islay via Ardbeg's Uigeadail, and I may need to expand my horizon past the peats I've come to love. I might just need to pick a bottle up for myself. I've never had an un-peated Islay variety. I believe my friend has whisky stones, but I don't believe he has a glencairn glass, and it'd definitely make a good addition!

I have to say, from what everyone is saying, the Quinta Ruban sounds excellent (so much so I worry I'd drink it myself), though it's a bit pricier than I'm aiming. Auchentoshan 12 sounds like something he'd enjoy a lot, and I'm tempted towards it at the moment. The drinkable nature sounds appealing. I find the Dalmore 12 to be similarly smooth in nature to that description, and if I can use what I know he likes as a target, that'll be sure to make it something he'll enjoy!

@Usagi: It's funny you said that about Laphroaig because it was really talked up to me, and when I finally got to try it I was pretty let down. I won't be too mean because I know it's very much a matter of personal preference, but I associate the taste of iodine with chemically purified backpacking water, so to have that come to me in a scotch was not a thrilling experience.

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    I have to agree with the Macallan 12 recommendation. Thats my normal go-to scotch. I'm also a fan of the Glenlivet 12 and 15. My best friends gave me a bottle of the Glenmorangie 25 as a wedding present and it's the most delicious scotch I've ever tasted, but it is also much more expensive.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I have a bottle of Auchentoshan 12 and I really like it. It's interesting, I personally think of it as a very smooth but flavorful whiskey.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    wmelon wrote: »
    I have to agree with the Macallan 12 recommendation. Thats my normal go-to scotch. I'm also a fan of the Glenlivet 12 and 15. My best friends gave me a bottle of the Glenmorangie 25 as a wedding present and it's the most delicious scotch I've ever tasted, but it is also much more expensive.

i have a bottle of the macallan cask aged somethign or other, its either 12 or 15 and it is some quality stuff, or at least did have a bottle. it is almost empty now

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Also do you know if your friend has any scotch rocks or a Glencairn glass? They can be nice additional scotch related gifts.

All I've ever heard about scotch rocks is people being dissapointed with how poorly they work. Soapstone doesn't have near the specific heat of ice.

Those glasses, however, a great. I own a set of them myself.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I love my scotch rocks. I think the issue is probably related to people expecting they cool with the exact same intensity as ice, when they clearly would not.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Since we're talking about them as a gift idea, what is it about scotch rocks that can't be accomplished by keeping said alcohol in the freezer, or, if you're into spending money on this kind of thing, a specialized fridge?

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    If you can get Leopold Bros in your state then I would recommend their small batch, although it's American whiskey and not a scotch. They also literally make fruit flavored whiskeys that are a delicious abomination. Bottles are like $40.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Since we're talking about them as a gift idea, what is it about scotch rocks that can't be accomplished by keeping said alcohol in the freezer, or, if you're into spending money on this kind of thing, a specialized fridge?

Freezing scotch would be a crime (it dulls the aromas and flavors a great deal). Scotch rocks do a good job of imparting just a *little* bit of cool to the scotch without making it *cold* and without imparting any water into the scotch. If you like a little bit of water on your palate when drinking scotch, 'tis better to take a small sip of water between sips of scotch.

I should probably shut up actually since I am veering into off topic material.

• Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    Aberlour is pretty much all sweeter scotchs, the 18 year they have was one of the easiest things to drink I've ever had, and it runs at 70$ Canadian (Probably cheaper in the states) and their A’bunadh is quite literally an experience.

• Options
    eh my scotch rocks dont really do anything. which is weird since i have used scotch rocks in teh past with past success, its just mine dont get that cold

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I know he enjoys his scotch rocks a decent amount, for what it's worth. The Macallan 12 also sounds nice, so it's basically between that and the Auchentoshan 12.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I had the Macallan 12 a few weeks ago and took the bottle down twice as fast as usual it was so good, if you need a tie breaker

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    The Macallan 12 was my first good scotch experience, and it still holds a special place in my heart (and in my bar). If you 'd like to stray into something a bit more expensive (but still fairly reasonable), Oban 14 is really good and should be in the $75ish range.

• Options
  • Options
    ratzofftoyaratzofftoya San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Glenfiddich 12 would be a great one in terms of value and what you describe as your buddy's taste.

• Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    I'll go ahead and 5th or 6th the Macallan recommendation. You can buy whatever age you want depending on how much you want to spend. If there is a generally perfect scotch, it's that one. :)