As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2013 Costume Thread

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I'd say no. Remember, think of it from their point of view. The whole idea is to stop anyone from sneaking a REAL gun in disguised as a prop, and as I recall, Mal's gun looks a lot like a long-barrel revolver with some added bits. Way too close.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was afraid of that.
    Always best to ask, if nothing else than to confirm what I already suspected. I wasn't sure if the gold wash would help with identifying as a prop.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So stoked for my first PAX! My partner and I are going Friday and Saturday and cosplaying both days - we're going as Captain America (1940s version) and Black Widow one day, and the Dovahkiin and Aela the Huntress the next. We're in the process of making our Skyrim costumes right now, and are trying to make them as legit as possible out of leather, fur and steel, so it's pretty ambitious for a couple of cosplay noobs like us. They probably won't be the most comfortable costumes ever, but if we pull it off it'll be totally worth it :)

I do have one question though - I have airsoft guns for my Black Widow costume, which is obviously against the rules, but I'm not sure what to use instead. Since the rules say you can't have anything that looks like a real weapon from a distance, I can't imagine what kind of thing would work. What have other people done? Should I just go with empty holsters?
    She does beat some ass with one of those Chitauri staff rifle things. Maybe you could rock something like that?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    Ahaha here I am again just to spit out my plans. One generic white mage, Scout's Mom (my boyfriend has his Scout cosplay so that's kinda weird I guess) and for my biggest costume it'll be Malon from The Legend of Zelda. I'm trying to convince my friends that it's a GOOD idea that I cosplay Homestuck for one day but no one else agrees :(

Also for roxyoursocks: As for props are there any other items or non-realistic weapons that she can use? Honestly PAX is so crowded and you pick up so much that props tend to get in the way when you're walking around (like my portal gun taking up so much arm space last year).

• Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    So are there any specific polices regarding fake/stage blood? My costume features a character that has just recently bashed someone's head in with a bat and I'm wondering if being drenched in the stuff is okay or not.

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    I'm no expert, but so long as it can't come off? I'd bet that it's fine. If it's dripping, then there may be issues with a mess and whatnot. And @Curse-Ten Homestuck cosplay is always the best! Love that, who you thinking of going as?

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    yeah. regarding fake blood or paint that might remove easily, know that there will be times that you will possibly be scrunched up against other people so take that into account. also take into account how easily it might be to take things on and off if you have to use the restroom. also the restrooms get hellishly crowded so even doing touch-ups to makeup can be hard. if you're wearing anything large on your hands it might make it harder to play games and carry swag so you might wanna bribe a friend to carry your stuff or get all the swag grabbing done on a day were your hands are free'r. I agree with the other comment. stick to props you can wear not have to carry around because you will probably be picking up a lot of things. Or at least add straps or holsters/sheaths to gun props/swords whatnot and take size into account once again because you might have some awkward three stooges moments turning and swatting people with your prop on your back. actually all this info is in the OP just read that again!

Membino on
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    So are there any specific polices regarding fake/stage blood? My costume features a character that has just recently bashed someone's head in with a bat and I'm wondering if being drenched in the stuff is okay or not.
    I did Bioshock Splicers couple years (think 2010) back with lots of fake blood. If you get stage blood, try to stay away from the sugar fake bloods due to stickiness. If you choose to do it, you will have to be spatially aware of your position so you do get it on anyone or get stuff that dries.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    another good thing to emphasize is if people want to get pictures of you. try and get out of the main walkways and let the person taking the picture aware that your intention is to let them take your picture out of the way of traffic politely. i had an incident last year where someone wanted to take a picture and it was crazy loud near the booth i was near and i tried to motion to the guy to head off to the side but i think he thought i was snubbing him and he wandered off.

• Options
    Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    manaleak34 wrote: »

Yeah I ran into these two guys last year and they were pretty sticky to touch, but nothing came off so it was cool. =D
    574557_10101035446823220_2125135936_n.jpg

I would definitely avoid having blood that would come off easily as you'll be bumping into other people for sure.

• Options
    KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    Haven't read through everything so forgive me if I'm being redundant.

Is anyone going as Bioshock Infinite characters? I'm sure there will be plenty of Elizabeths. I think it would be cool to see a bunch of Founders and Vox all in one place.

• Options
    SqueeksOrkaN7SqueeksOrkaN7 Registered User new member
    Not sure if I can make it but I'm working on Mass effect 3's Turian Ghost from multiplayer.

• Options
    KodiSir wrote: »

Is anyone going as Bioshock Infinite characters? I'm sure there will be plenty of Elizabeths. I think it would be cool to see a bunch of Founders and Vox all in one place.

In theory, me and a friend are gonna be going as the Lutices. I need to figure out how to make a coin that always flips heads though....That may be tricky.

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    In theory, me and a friend are gonna be going as the Lutices. I need to figure out how to make a coin that always flips heads though....That may be tricky.

Hmmm, weighted maybe?

• Options
    Browncoat565Browncoat565 Registered User regular
    GrimWulf wrote: »
    Thinking of doing a Salvador from Borderlands 2. Was wondering if I should go for the stock face/beard, and if so what the best way to make that would be.

@Browncoat565 May want to check the front page of thread about the 'blue gun' sounds like they'll fail the 'looks real from a distance' rule.

I don't think it will since it'll be entirely blue and rubber but I suppose maybe from a distance anyways maybe I'll just try it with just the tac vest and stuff and lose the guns altogether would be easier for border crossing...

• Options
    so this year I am considering bringing down my resident evil umbrella corps security cosplay, but living in canada I am somewhat concerned about bringing a tac vest, swat helmet, holster and gas mask across the border. any other canadianss out there with experience in this? I doubt they'll care about the red gun or blue gun I'm planning to buy since it will be either red or blue and all rubber

AWESOME, will be nice to see a fellow USS soldier! Going again as my Umbrella Soldier (with Umbrella umbrella) same as last year, but I'll be sporting a red rubber shotgun this time. Hope to see you around!

nice look forward to seeing you around not sure if I'll dress up everyday but probably on saturday and sunday

• Options
    GrimWulf wrote: »
    Thinking of doing a Salvador from Borderlands 2. Was wondering if I should go for the stock face/beard, and if so what the best way to make that would be.

@Browncoat565 May want to check the front page of thread about the 'blue gun' sounds like they'll fail the 'looks real from a distance' rule.

I don't think it will since it'll be entirely blue and rubber but I suppose maybe from a distance anyways maybe I'll just try it with just the tac vest and stuff and lose the guns altogether would be easier for border crossing...
    sorry just read the stuff about blue guns being too dark at a distance makes sense...

• Options
    just thought I'd try again and see if there are any canadians with experience of bordder corssing with costumes...

• Options

try magic shop they might have coins for that kind of thing...

• Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular

Dragon6860, just apply coats of clear nail polish onto one side until it gives you the desired effect.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I'm gonna try something with magnets, get some in the tray North side up, and the coin with a small one stuck in it North side facing the tails side, so when we flip it it should bounce more on the tails side, and sticks bit on heads, but need to do some testing....

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    roxyoursocksroxyoursocks Registered User regular
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    Ahaha here I am again just to spit out my plans. One generic white mage, Scout's Mom (my boyfriend has his Scout cosplay so that's kinda weird I guess) and for my biggest costume it'll be Malon from The Legend of Zelda. I'm trying to convince my friends that it's a GOOD idea that I cosplay Homestuck for one day but no one else agrees :(

Also for roxyoursocks: As for props are there any other items or non-realistic weapons that she can use? Honestly PAX is so crowded and you pick up so much that props tend to get in the way when you're walking around (like my portal gun taking up so much arm space last year).

Yeah, honestly, I don't want anything that I'll have to carry around. I'm pretty OK with empty holsters, even though it's not perfect. I'm putting most of my energy into my Aela costume anyway :)

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    There is no policy against fake blood. Really, except for weapons you can go wild.

Regarding Mal's gun... its questionable. We'd probably er on the side of caution and say no.

• Options
    Yeah, I thought so. Thank you for your response @AaronC.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    CilohaCiloha Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'll be doing Bladecraft Orianna from LoL, and either Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, or Eileen Galvin from Silent Hill 4, depending on if I want to learn how to fake a broken bone cast... If not, Mary from Ib. :)

Ciloha on
  • Options
    BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    Considering I am 5' I have been thinking more and more about sewing up a Tera Elin costume.

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Options
    KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna try something with magnets, get some in the tray North side up, and the coin with a small one stuck in it North side facing the tails side, so when we flip it it should bounce more on the tails side, and sticks bit on heads, but need to do some testing....

I love that idea. They make coins that are heads on both sides. Just pull the old switcheroo... I'm sure a magic trick book would do the trick.

I've never really dressed up for anything but it sounds like a blast. I feel like one of the Vox would be doable. So long as I can talk some friends into getting in on it. Might be kinda lame to be the only member of what should really be a group. Maybe I can find a good Fitzroy...

• Options
    I could use double sided coin, but ehh...it feels like cheating :-D I want it to be legit!

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    KwiyuKwiyu Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    just thought I'd try again and see if there are any canadians with experience of bordder corssing with costumes...

My friends and I have had no problems going down to Seattle for SakuraCon with our costumes & prop weapons. We've had no problems at the border and we've brought swords, daggers, a Black Rock Shooter cannon, a large mallet and a crossbow. It probably helped that none of the weapons looked realistic or functional though...

BombClancy wrote: »
    Considering I am 5' I have been thinking more and more about sewing up a Tera Elin costume.

Oh man that'd be awesome if you did. My sister and I are working on some costumes from Tera too~ I'm planning on just being a Human while my sister is working on a Castanic.

Aside from that I'm planning on going as Amethyst Ashe from LoL.

• Options
    MuffinOfDeathMuffinOfDeath Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I could use double sided coin, but ehh...it feels like cheating :-D I want it to be legit!
    If you need help with sleight of hand I could more than likely help you. I've been a street magician for quite a few years. Coins are not my Forte, but I have a few sleights that could help you.

I will mention that as far as I am aware there are no coins that will always flip one side up unless you gimmick them heavily.
    Edit: Actually.... I have a good idea... I'll message you.

MuffinOfDeath on
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I have decided what I am going to offically cosplay as! My boyfriend and I will be going as Finn and Marceline :) I just don't know which outfit of her's I should choose!
    [img][/img]marceline.png

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    yay, friends coming as a 40k Imperial Guard maybe i'll have to make my sunday costume something from 40k.

having a functioning coin sounds cool but is your endgame to stand in a doorway and "heads or tails" people as they go by? is the guy Lutece going to be wearing the chalkboards? i'm more curious how you're going to get matching guy/girl outfits and hair and whatnot. i hope i bump into you to see how it all turns out.

• Options
    roxyoursocksroxyoursocks Registered User regular
    I have decided what I am going to offically cosplay as! My boyfriend and I will be going as Finn and Marceline :) I just don't know which outfit of her's I should choose!

Cool, great idea! Whichever one you pick, I think you gotta go with those rockin' red boots :)

• Options
    hellodactylhellodactyl Registered User new member
    I've got two big sewing projects already (making Vanellope Von Schweetz in her princess dress and Fiona from AT in her white dress), and my partner is doing a Hotline Miami cosplay. But, I want to do one day of couples cosplay with him! He has a huge beard, what characters can you think of with big beards that have a character a very petite lady could dress up as (I am also willing to dress as a boy)? Bonus points if they have long sleeves, as we are both heavily tattooed.

I was thinking Francis and Zoey from LfD (Francis may look better with a big bushy beard ;D) but it is early enough to think of something more elaborate. He may also do Finn as Prince Hotbod or in his paperplate demon pajamas when I do Fiona,

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I've got two big sewing projects already (making Vanellope Von Schweetz in her princess dress and Fiona from AT in her white dress), and my partner is doing a Hotline Miami cosplay. But, I want to do one day of couples cosplay with him! He has a huge beard, what characters can you think of with big beards that have a character a very petite lady could dress up as (I am also willing to dress as a boy)? Bonus points if they have long sleeves, as we are both heavily tattooed.

I was thinking Francis and Zoey from LfD (Francis may look better with a big bushy beard ;D) but it is early enough to think of something more elaborate. He may also do Finn as Prince Hotbod or in his paperplate demon pajamas when I do Fiona,

You guys should totally do TinTin and Captain Haddock. Retro comix FTW.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    I really shouldn't have posted anything because my plans are changing rapidly thanks to my interest in Skull Girls. We'll see what happens. I'd like to take pictures of my progress once I get started because the costume I'm thinking off is going to be quite the doozy.

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    As is typical for me, I haven't made any progress whatsoever on my costumes, even though I had settled on them nearly three months ago. *flail*

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular

Cool, great idea! Whichever one you pick, I think you gotta go with those rockin' red boots :)

I'm thinking I need the boots ;) and, a little change up! My man is actually going as Simon (pre-Ice King)!

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    My Cosplay, Cerberus Phantom:
    308671_10201329719988436_253825044_n.jpg

Progress thus far. Templates cut out, ready for the WonderFlex arrive and begin the final builds.
    934607_10201329699147915_808509590_n.jpg
    935781_10201329699307919_594021658_n.jpg

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    Biscuits and GravyBiscuits and Gravy Marchwarden of Beardlorien Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about going as Tetra or Medli from Wind Waker, but having glasses is kind of problematic! I had a bad experience with contacts so those are kind of out of the question. I really love cosplay and stuff, though, so perhaps I could make it work...