As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holy Shit! I-5 Bridge over Skagit River (near Mount Vernon, Washington) Collapses

IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Social Entropy++
The bridge over I-5 North of Seattle collapsed into the river. At the moment all they know is that a few cars with people in them went into the water.

052313bridgecollapse2.jpg

052313bridgecollapse1.jpg

052313bridgecollapse4.jpg

Iloveslimes on

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shiiiiit!

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    holy shit. I hope no one is injured too badly. D:

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Holy fuck!

Please let everyone be okay.

My first thought, though? --

God damnit, people, our infrastructure is 70 years old. We need to get on fixing this shit, like, YESTERDAY. That'll sure as hell stimulate things.

And give everyone fiber while you're at it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Jesus, I hope everybody's okay

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Oh my god what

This week fucking sucks

Hope everyone is okay

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I saw it on a friend's facebook and didn't believe it at first.

• Options
    052313bridgecollapse5.jpg
    This gives a better sense of scale.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    holy shit

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Too soon for a seattle thread joke?

Hope there's no fatalities, this stinks.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Whoa, just found out about this. Half the folks I work with drive over that thing every day.

I guess it's a good thing I told my parents to take the ferry when they come visit this weekend.

any confirmation on injuries yet?

• Options
    There's nothing definitive about injuries yet.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Whoa, just found out about this. Half the folks I work with drive over that thing every day.

I guess it's a good thing I told my parents to take the ferry when they come visit this weekend.

I was just about to text you to make sure you were alright

pretty glad you are

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Interesting, on the news just now, that bridge is the primary route for goods to come from Canada to the entire west coast.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

pretty glad you are

<3 Yeah, the only time I use that bridge is driving to Seattle on the weekends.

still, this is gonna make visiting Danny and Trey this Sunday a little more complex.

• Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    here's to hoping no one dies
    and that they work on repairing their bridges
    same thing happened in Minnesota with the 35W bridge

shame it takes something like this to remind states/people/stuff that bridges have to be checked and repaired

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

pretty glad you are

<3 Yeah, the only time I use that bridge is driving to Seattle on the weekends.

still, this is gonna make visiting Danny and Trey this Sunday a little more complex.

Maaan. I really need to get out west

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    At first glance this doesn't seem as bad as the I35W collapse in Minnesota. Probably because that was during rush hour, and this was at about 7:30 pacific time, and this was pretty far from Seattle.

edit: but of course I hope everyone in those cars were able to get out okay.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    So far it looks like only 3 cars fell and no one died. But all the news is preliminary at the moment.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I'm not aware of yet if any of my friends were hurt or not, but I'm pretty worried.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    There's no other freeway up there. Alternative routes will rely on county highways, highway 99 and highway 9. Mount Vernon/Burlington have a hospital. The Skagit river splits the two cities.

Aside from Everett, this is the only major city until you get the Bellingham. Everett is pretty awful, so everyone I know around here goes shopping in the Mount Vernon area.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I'm hoping no-one died or suffered severe injuries.

I seem to remember Colbert doing a bit on all the really old bridges in the US that should have been reinforced/replaced a long time ago only a few months back?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I'm okay.
    I was really close to it though. Pretty scary.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Definitely unrelated to politics.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »

Oh look, you're trying to do a thing. Go do it elsewhere, ye goose.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

How is this even relevant?

• Options
    I would very much like to find out if the people I grew up with were very far away from the bridge before I start pointing fingers at who's fault it is.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

How is this even relevant?

Because the budget for infrastructure is intensely political?

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    While this certainly is terrible, to put it in perspective for those that are concerned about friends or family in the area, they've only rescued three people so far. While it's certainly possible there might be some fatalities, it's incredibly unlikely that someone you know was actually on the section that collapsed when it actually collapsed. So I get the anxiety, but temper that with the realization that anyone you know is almost certainly fine.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Pretty much nothing major happens up here at all, so it's a big shock.
    I'll find something else to do than bite my fingernails to bits.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh it's definitely a shock and a big deal. This is probably going to have pretty significant economic impacts all along the west coast due to the major disruption to traffic along I-5 until it's replaced.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    nuka wrote: »
    Pretty much nothing major happens up here at all, so it's a big shock.
    I'll find something else to do than bite my fingernails to bits.

Heyyyyyy

• Options
    I wonder if this will cause other decaying infrastructure to be more closely scrutinized and repaired. Or maybe it'll just vanish into bureaucratic hell after the media spotlight vanishes.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Well, local news is saying there were no fatalities. And the collapse was caused in part by a oversize load truck hitting part of the bridge while crossing.

• Options
    Really glad that this was light on damage. Compared to the tornadoes, or things like the floods that we had a few years ago that routed all traffic to the other side of the Cascades, this is nothing.

Also damnit truckers, know your height limit.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    That's crazy. Back to being terrified of the Chicago skyway glad there seems to be no deaths and that Fire Truck is ok. Your not allowed to die, your going to play banjo in my band one day

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I wonder if this will cause other decaying infrastructure to be more closely scrutinized and repaired. Or maybe it'll just vanish into bureaucratic hell after the media spotlight vanishes.

Did Minnesota cause a crusade/jihad against decaying infrastructure after that 20 something Somali woman and her baby girl were crushed by tons of steel and concrete?

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Well, local news is saying there were no fatalities. And the collapse was caused in part by a oversize load truck hitting part of the bridge while crossing.

Yeah, the bridge itself probably wasn't the main factor in its collapse; the bridge's structures were rated as satisfactory or fair as of its last assessment by the Federal Highway Administration in 2010. That said, a bridge in a similar state but with a more up-to-date design might not have collapsed under a collision like that - the bridge is rated as "functionally obsolete", a category that it shares with over 7,000 other bridges nationwide.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That'll do it alright.

• Options
    I tried to get pictures of the 520 bridge replacement project, but the project hosts their images in flikr and it gave me a bad panda warning.