Options

[PA Comic] Monday, May 27, 2013 - Optimal

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    At first glance the 3rd panel makes it look like Gabe now has clown makeup on, and that makes the comic substantially more terrifying.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ahh, the personification of the internet!

.. What's the name of the Mac fanboy dude again?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I believe it's Charles, although I suspect that in this comic it is "Delicious".

Neckmeats are the most delicious parts of a person, FYI.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The judges would have also accepted drilling out their ears.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, Gabe. What the hell is wrong with you?

You're at a theater, put your fucking phone away.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    VahnaraVahnara Registered User new member
    The fact that he has his phone out at all during a movie at the theater makes me want to rip his throat out.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I believe it's Charles, although I suspect that in this comic it is "Delicious".

Supposedly the base of the thumb is very coveted, as in turning the thumb into basically a drumstick. If you're into eating humans, of course.

I spoke to someone who had spent time with a tribe that still practised cannibalism and that was basically their human meat delicacy.
    When we asked him if he'd eaten any human meat he wouldn't answer.

Though I'm sure neck meat is quite yummy.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    AdventurerAdventurer Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It's pronounced 'jif', like the peanut butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CBtKxsuGvko

Doesn't get more conclusive than this folks.

Adventurer on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Adventurer wrote: »

The Oxford English dictionary disagrees! Enough people say it with a G that it's valid regardless of whether the inventor likes it or not, that's how language works, common usage, not one guy gets to invent the word then decide how it is pronounced everywhere forever.

Personally I’m going to keep using a G because being from the UK to me Jif is, and will always be, a defunct brand of sink cleaner.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Gif with a g.

It is an abbreviation and the G stands for Graphics. Jif is clearly wrong forever.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ahh, the personification of the internet!

.. What's the name of the Mac fanboy dude again?

If you ask him at this moment, I believe he'll pronounce it as "Gurgle".

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If the inventor of the gif says it's pronounced jif, the inventor of the gif is demented.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Liking Charles' new look

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    Liking Charles' new look

Me too! Well... in panel three that is.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    Also, I would eat that popcorn.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    YOU'RE GOING TO SPECIAL HELL, GABE

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Vahnara wrote: »
    The fact that he has his phone out at all during a movie at the theater makes me want to rip his throat out.

This is what I came here to say.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    HardKaseHardKase Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I hate this argument. The G stands for Graphics, so the same G should be used.

HardKase on
    Steam ID: HardKAse@hardkase.cjb.net (yes I was drunk when I created it)
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Let's just proounce it "G.I.F."

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Hard g - if it was Giraffe Interchange Format, then I could see jif, which is actually a foodstuff, not a file format.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I don't get it. He chewed out their throats rather than say gif wrong? Is that the joke?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I saw some stuff last week about people arguing about the pronunciation. I didn't see the arguments, I just saw mention of the arguments happening. So you know, typical internet business.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I don't get it. He chewed out their throats rather than say gif wrong? Is that the joke?

Yep.

It is a grossly overzealous reaction to a simple problem.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I dislike this comic and I think they could have done better.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Roe wrote: »
    I dislike this comic with a passion, it's probably the worst penny-arcade I've seen in a long time.

That's a pretty strong reaction.

Well, let me rephrase. It is a confusing reaction. Dislike is a weak word. But passion is a strong word. So you weakly have a burning disapproval of something.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FilFil Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »
    I dislike this comic with a passion, it's probably the worst penny-arcade I've seen in a long time.

That's a pretty strong reaction.

Well, let me rephrase. It is a confusing reaction. Dislike is a weak word. But passion is a strong word. So you weakly have a burning disapproval of something.

It's a persistent weak loathing, like a toothache.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's funny, this is my reaction when other people mispronounce abbreviations.

It's where the courage is, I believe.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Golden Yak wrote: »

No, you goose. You have to eat the heart to gain someone's rich, tasty courage.

Mmm.

Enlong on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Mmm.

Gonna have to trust the guy with a chef hat in his avatar

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This comic owns. It reminds me of this classic:

215187159_7nXwz-L-2.jpg

• Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It's like those Greek Gyro things, no matter how you say it, you'll get corrected, and it fills you with the rage that results in panel 3.

And yeah, bad call on the theator setting, it distracts from the joke by making you hate Gabe for having the phone out during a movie.

Thanatosia on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Thanatosia wrote: »
    It's like those Greek Gyro things, no matter how you say it, you'll get corrected, and it fills you with the rage that results in panel 3.

I feel like that should become a code-word now, for like cop shows and stuff.

"Better get some more body bags down here. We've got a full-on panel 3."

"Worst fucking panel 3 I've seen in 20 years."

Enlong wrote: »

Mmm.

Young lady, the heart is where the food is digested.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    -double-

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This comic owns. It reminds me of this classic:

215187159_7nXwz-L-2.jpg

It always does feel awkward when you don't like something or like it as much as other people.

• Options
    AdventurerAdventurer Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Casual wrote: »

The Oxford English dictionary disagrees! Enough people say it with a G that it's valid regardless of whether the inventor likes it or not, that's how language works, common usage, not one guy gets to invent the word then decide how it is pronounced everywhere forever.

Personally I’m going to keep using a G because being from the UK to me Jif is, and will always be, a defunct brand of sink cleaner.

How do you pronounce giraffe?

I'm of the mind that if you invent something, you get to decide how it's pronounced.

Adventurer on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Unfortunately that isn't really how language works. If I invent the Voggo I can claim that it's pronounced Bucket until I'm blue in the face, it's still going to get pronounced Voggo.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the problem with saying that it is pronounced jif is it presumes that we will never create the word "jif" for anything

saying "gif" makes it clear to everyone and is also a word that nothing else will use

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I'm glad to see that Charles hipness just keeps getting hipper. Probably, Gabe got his throat first, so that by the time he got to Tycho it was old news.

• Options
    I'm of the mind that if you invent something, you get to decide how it's pronounced.

Well, you can be of that mind. And there are a number of people who even agree with you.

However the vast, vast majority of other people don't care what the inventor wants as far as pronunciation goes.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Zython wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, Gabe. What the hell is wrong with you?

You're at a theater, put your fucking phone away.

I assumed this was during the incessant ads and tv show documentaries which are also ads you are generally subjected to when you have the audacity to show up 10 minutes early for the movie.

I mean sure, Gabe is a murderous sociopath, but he's not the kind of monster that would use his phone during an ongoing movie.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho