As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, May 27, 2013 - Optimal

2»

• Options
    AdventurerAdventurer Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Tube wrote: »
    Unfortunately that isn't really how language works. If I invent the Voggo I can claim that it's pronounced Bucket until I'm blue in the face, it's still going to get pronounced Voggo.
    What nonsense. There's a difference between deciding between a hard and soft g and choosing a pronunciation that makes no sense whatsoever.

Initialism pronunciation being different from the words within the initialism is hardly unique to gif.

Adventurer on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That doesn't really change the fact that language is defined by usage

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If you have to misspell the word to explain how it's pronounced, as in, "Gif- Say it like JIF not GIF" then you're fucking wrong and should reevaluate your life choices.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Adventurer wrote: »
    Unfortunately that isn't really how language works. If I invent the Voggo I can claim that it's pronounced Bucket until I'm blue in the face, it's still going to get pronounced Voggo.
    What nonsense. There's a difference between deciding between a hard and soft g and choosing a pronunciation that makes no sense whatsoever.

Initialism pronunciation being different from the words within the initialism is hardly unique to gif.

There are a million, jillion words that were once pronounced one way but other people said eff that noise and pronounced it another. Someone saying it first doesn't give them dibs on dictating how it's said.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    They're about to see Gjif Unchained.

• Options
    AlcasteAlcaste Registered User regular
    I pronounce it with a hard G, but I can see where a soft G comes from. It's one letter away from Gin, after all!

• Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    If you have to misspell the word to explain how it's pronounced, as in, "Gif- Say it like JIF not GIF" then you're fucking wrong and should reevaluate your life choices.
    You must have a problem with a great deal of the English language.

578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the problem with saying that it is pronounced jif is it presumes that we will never create the word "jif" for anything

saying "gif" makes it clear to everyone and is also a word that nothing else will use

Exactly - look at the confusion in reverse; if you pronounce it "gif," there's no ambiguity about the spelling; you can only get the "guh" sound from one letter. The sound "jif" can theoretically be spelled either of two ways. Pronouncing it "gif" matches the spelling every time.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

Somewhere out there, a gigantic, gin-drinking giraffe's feelings just got hurt. His name is Gerry. Or George, I forget.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    DoomSong8 wrote: »
    You must have a problem with a great deal of the English language.

With words that have their etymology rooted in non-english phonetics there's obviously some complication. Not applicable in this case.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I recognize both ways, because it's a dumb thing to get picky about. But I try to say it with a hard 'G' as often as possible because I have a speech impediment that makes my J-sounds (along with CH sounds) fucking dumb.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Ghiff.

The H is silent.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I like hard G just because otherwise I will always crave peanut butter to go with my crudely made humorous web animations.

• Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Somewhere out there, a gigantic, gin-drinking giraffe's feelings just got hurt. His name is Gerry. Or George, I forget.
    o'l Gerry George, I know the gent. Immigrated over from Gemany where he studied Geology, came up withi some kind of Gel that generated a lot of Germs. At least that's the gist of it.

Thanatosia on
  • Options
    IshanjiIshanji Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It's pronounced with a hard G to differentiate it from "JIF" which is the JPEG Interchange Format. "Jif" is also a product name in many parts of the world. Furthermore, it's impossible to say "jif" without sounding like a complete asshole or a child (or a child's complete asshole). DOUBLE FURTHERMORE ULTIMATE TOURNAMENT EDITION: Nobody pronounces the word "gift" as "jift."

This isn't something that I'd bring up in real life, but if I hear someone pronounce it as "jif" then my opinion of them drops immediately. It's not even up for debate; you are either on the righteous side of "GIF" or you are the loathsome bane of all things linguistically tasteful.

Ishanji on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Younger me insisted on people pronouncing words the "correct" way, such as taking umbrage if someone pronounced the "e" in "forte" when describing one of their strong points.

Young me was also an idiot that cared more about being "right" than about clarity of communication.

I would use gif with a hard G because that's always how I have heard it said out loud, so that is the way that would most likely cause the least confusion. Perhaps if I was some kind of computer convention with technical experts I would go with the "J" would if I thought more people would understand it. Tailor your language to your audience and strive for clarity. Otherwise you are just being a doof.

As for the comic itself, I personally thought it was one of the funnier PAs in a while.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Who the fuck cares if people pronounce gif with a soft g? You don't have anything better to do with your time?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I wonder if this is a regional thing or if schools have been teaching it a certain way that is causing this amount of upset over the pronunciation. Until today I never even realize that anyone pronounced it other than with a soft g. Thus to me the level of disdain towards the soft g seems unwarranted.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I pronounce the "g" gutturally, like the Germans say it, and the "if" to rhyme with "ruff".

Then I deliver it as if I'm a cat hawking up a furball.

Bucho on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I pronounce it with the hard "K" sound, and the F sounds like a silent "P".

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    That doesn't really change the fact that language is defined by usage

Well, the English language is anyway. Some languages have organizations that standardize the usage, but there is no such thing in English.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    So who pronounces meme as 'me-me' or 'Mehm-e'?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    So who pronounces meme as 'me-me' or 'Mehm-e'?

People who don't have long to live, is who.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Whenever I have to say "gif" I use an mp3 I made of the word "fig" which I then reversed and always have ready to play on my phone.

Most people wouldn't go to such trouble but I use it upwards of 130 times a day.

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    This is how the zombie apocalypse begins, not with a bang, but with a gif.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I pronounce it like "gift" without the "t". If someone says "Jif" I can normally understand what they meant and it is not a pet peeve of mine. However when someone refers to soda as "pop" I mentally banish him/her back to flyover country.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    I pronounce it like "gift" without the "t". If someone says "Jif" I can normally understand what they meant and it is not a pet peeve of mine. However when someone refers to soda as "pop" I mentally banish him/her back to flyover country.

Exactly.

Say the word Gift, and stop before you get to the T. Easy peasy.

Pop is a midwestern thing, I don't mind it too much. It was interesting to learn that in Kansas City, they don't say bag, but rather "sack". Bought a magazine at the airport during a layover once, and the lady asked me if I "had a sack".

Look lady... just because I'm buying a copy of Cute Bunnies Weekly doesn't make me any less of a man!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Are we sure they weren't already dead? Just how quickly can Gabe bite out a throat that he can get both of them without any sign of struggle?

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

Exactly.

Say the word Gift, and stop before you get to the T. Easy peasy.

Pop is a midwestern thing, I don't mind it too much. It was interesting to learn that in Kansas City, they don't say bag, but rather "sack". Bought a magazine at the airport during a layover once, and the lady asked me if I "had a sack".

Look lady... just because I'm buying a copy of Cute Bunnies Weekly doesn't make me any less of a man!

Some of us are from the part of the world where someone asks if you want a coke and you say, "Sure, I'd love a Dr. Pepper."

Or, "We've got a few kinds of coke: pepsi, mountain dew..."

• Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Artereis wrote: »
    Are we sure they weren't already dead? Just how quickly can Gabe bite out a throat that he can get both of them without any sign of struggle?

This is a critical question. Just what was the other person doing while Gabe went after the first throat?

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Charles probably assumed Gabe and Tycho were getting a little pre-movie make out session going.

"I call next!" he chuckled jokingly...longingly.

Then it was over before he even knew he was dead.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Maybe it's secretly a Broodax comic?

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    JIF for liiiife.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Have you seen those teeth Gabe has? He could tear out a throat in seconds with those.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Tycho needs to stop gushing about Card Hunter. At least until they let me into the Beta!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    In all the excitement over Panel 3, don't let's overlook the awesome expression in #2.

• Options
    bronkulabronkula Registered User new member
    Two things.

1 arguments surrounding the sound of the "g" because of pronunciation of the word graphics instantly nullified because if that were relevant, you would pronounce jpeg "jfeg". ... so there's that.

2. Am I the only one wondering about the watch? this was clearly a killing. Are only murderous killing counted?

• Options
    FulgoreFulgore Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Time for my two seconds, because fuck my better judgment!

Those who are being anal over the pronunciation of a word with clearly a display of dialect choices: It doesn't matter.

I'll take my critical acclaim and billions of dollars now.

Fulgore on