As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SANDBOX ON] Second Life

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "fornicate using actual genitals."

Haha.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    RaddRadd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, like, is this thread still about SecondLife? Hard to tell after reading the last few pages. Anyways, I certainly enjoy it. Been spending a lot of time lately working with sculpted prims.

Quick snapshot I tossed together from my current WIP build.
    Metroid_Penny.jpg

Can't wait until they bring out a new version of Windlight. Hopefully weather effects won't be far behind.

As far as games go, well, it takes all the best elements of some of my other favourite computer games, such as Photoshop, and IRC. The graphics in IRC are pretty terrible, and Photoshop is single player only, so I'm really enjoying SecondLife.

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    where are those metroids? those are awesome.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Radd wrote: »
    So, like, is this thread still about SecondLife? Hard to tell after reading the last few pages. Anyways, I certainly enjoy it. Been spending a lot of time lately working with sculpted prims.

Quick snapshot I tossed together from my current WIP build.
    Metroid_Penny.jpg

Can't wait until they bring out a new version of Windlight. Hopefully weather effects won't be far behind.

As far as games go, well, it takes all the best elements of some of my other favourite computer games, such as Photoshop, and IRC. The graphics in IRC are pretty terrible, and Photoshop is single player only, so I'm really enjoying SecondLife.

Those are some seriously excellent builds!

Can I have a metroid?

p.s. we should be SL buddies for forever.

Edit: I am an idiot.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wait, I don't get it. Why are you an idiot?

And that is an AMAZING screenshot of SL. Shows the potential for the graphics in the game.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is that bloom?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sure looks like it.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Heh, ja that's light bloom. It's one of the features that's hidden in the debug menus because it doesn't work for everyone. If you have a beefy computer (I'm running an AMD 2800+, 2 gigs of RAM, and two nVidia 7800GT video cards using SLi) try hitting ctrl+alt+d (it may be ctrl+shift+d, I forget) to activate the two debug menus at the top of the screen.

Under client, scroll down to 'Debug Menu'. This gives you a window with a drop down selection box. Start typing 'render glow' until it autocompletes. Change "false" to "true".

If you're being really adventurous and have a lot of faith in your computer you can also activate reflections (which are lackluster on their own, but look fantastic when render glow is also on) by typing "render dynamic reflections" in the drop down box and setting it to "true".

I'm not done with the metroid build yet, I've only got the basics of the Mother Brain chamber and the metroid model finished. I might yet tweak the textures on the metroids, they're really...not good. I tossed the metroid together really quickly. Once I open up the build to the public you can get a good look at Mother Brain inworld, I'm really proud of that. There's bubbles floating upwards in the tank, and the brain pulses with Evil(tm). I also am trying to get a scripting friend of mine to help make the Metroids float around making sounds. Want to animate their mandibles, too.

I'll probably have some freebies available to people exploring the build, which will be a mini Tourian, complete with a metroid holding chamber, and dead space pirates in rooms with metroids floating around freely.

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Radd, you wouldn't happen to be the proprietor of Happy Bivouac in SL, would you? I was taking a look at the site linked in your sig and your art style is (if not the very same) incredibly similar.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Hay, Phibbs and Radd. I want in on some of that Metroid action. :P

I like SL, but because there's not many PAers on I'm not onvery frequently myself. But I still want to build and script shit.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wooh, glow made my monocle really nice-looking.

glow.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Radd, you wouldn't happen to be the proprietor of Happy Bivouac in SL, would you? I was taking a look at the site linked in your sig and your art style is (if not the very same) incredibly similar.
    Yes, indeed.

I'll post a landmark once the build is about finished. At least once I have it underground, instead of floating over my parcel.

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does anyone have a spare "alpha" texture? It's the one you need to make cell shaded stuff.

I don't even have the 10 lindens to make one myself.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    God damn, Radd, that is bad ass. Do you guys want to put out a real high quality Big Daddy Avatar that we can sell for crap loads of money? I am working on the boots but we will need a custom AO and lots of great prim work or someone who is good with sculpties to make it in wings or gamespace or something.

Seriously though, that is awesome work.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I made a spinning anime-like halo, and that's about the extent of my prowess.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I have no idea what you're talking about with the alpha texture, as far as cell shading. I've not actually made myself build anything since before sculpies were added, I feel really out of the loop these days.

As far as the Big Daddy...that's not a bad idea, as long as it's done right, like you said, animations, etc.
    It could be very very cool.

And Radd, I think I have seen you hanging around the Wastelands on occasion. Also I'm a big fan of your stuff.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I have no idea what you're talking about with the alpha texture, as far as cell shading. I've not actually made myself build anything since before sculpies were added, I feel really out of the loop these days.

As far as the Big Daddy...that's not a bad idea, as long as it's done right, like you said, animations, etc.

This is what I'm talking about.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_jCACZtFCuw

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

This is what I'm talking about.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_jCACZtFCuw

Wow, that's the first time I've seen that done like that. My friend did something similar by torturing spheres and abusing the select texture tool, but he could really only get it to work for spheres.
    But I've got something similar to that alpha texture you can use, drop me an IM in-game and I'll send it to you.

Ps. In-game I'm Phibbs Newchurch

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Okay, I'm on, left you a message.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I've started work on one of the rooms leading up to the Mother Brain chamber. Added a bit more to it, and edited the post to change the screenshot.
    metroid_holding_chamber4.jpg

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That's looking really spiff, Radd. Though having seen the Aurora units in Prime3 I'd like to see Mother Brain done up in that style, but as-is it's still really great.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've started work on one of the rooms leading up to the Mother Brain chamber. Added a bit more to it, and edited the post to change the screenshot.
    metroid_holding_chamber3.jpg

You rock HARD for making that. Seriously. I want to buy a metroid and have it float around me, chirping its metroid squeek.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wahoo! I'm back online and stuff.

But everyone appears to have got all serious and be making shit (cool shit though). I shall try to get online tonight and have a wander around.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You rock HARD for making that. Seriously. I want to buy a metroid and have it float around me, chirping its metroid squeek.

I have one. :P

Not his fancy models though.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I updated the previous screenshot. Not a big update, I made the containers on one side of the room broken, and added an elevator, including a hologram teleport system for taking the elevator to different floors of the build. There's only 2 floors at the moment, but when there's finally more, this will make it easy to move between them all.

The other update I can't really show in screenshots, ambient sounds! Different display screens are accompanied by different sounds. The snowcrashed screens have a white noise, others are accompanied by futuristic computer sounds. The rotating machinery in the ceiling of the build have an accompanying dull thrum, and the force field containing the non-stasis metroids has it's own sound effect as well.

I plan to add the sound of broken glass being stepped on whenever someone walks over the broken glass at the one end of the room. Eventually I'll somehow work in some Mother Brain sound effects down in her chamber.

A scripter friend of mine has told me how they plan to get the metroids to fly around within the confines of the holding cells and the rooms they've escaped out into.

I've also moved parcels in the sim. I bought an identical parcel which is on the border between the Junkyard and where the new sim will be added, and I picked up the parcel next to it, doubling the number of prims I have to work with.

This is by-far the most ambitious SL build project I've ever attempted.

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That's looking really spiff, Radd. Though having seen the Aurora units in Prime3 I'd like to see Mother Brain done up in that style, but as-is it's still really great.

I might clean up the look of Mother Brain's chamber, even in the original NES game it looked sterile and high-tech rather than grimey and beat-up. Though I'm kinda dissapointed with the Aurora units in Prime 3. They're all covered in machine bits, there's no actual visible brain, when that's what Mother Brain was in the old games, a pulsing, sinister brain in a jar with mechanical bits sticking out.

cold_intelligence.jpg

I'll be adding more to this, almost definitely. It was the first part of the Metroid build that I made. I'm already much happier with the lab room with the escaped metroids. Next I'll either make a Chozo statue room, or a Tourian hallway with more escaped metroids and some dead space pirates. I also want to make a map room and a save room. When that's all done I'll come back to Mother Brain with all the ideas I've practiced and polished and make her the most impressive part of the whole build.

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I might clean up the look of Mother Brain's chamber, even in the original NES game it looked sterile and high-tech rather than grimey and beat-up. Though I'm kinda dissapointed with the Aurora units in Prime 3. They're all covered in machine bits, there's no actual visible brain, when that's what Mother Brain was in the old games, a pulsing, sinister brain in a jar with mechanical bits sticking out.

snip

I'll be adding more to this, almost definitely. It was the first part of the Metroid build that I made. I'm already much happier with the lab room with the escaped metroids. Next I'll either make a Chozo statue room, or a Tourian hallway with more escaped metroids and some dead space pirates. I also want to make a map room and a save room. When that's all done I'll come back to Mother Brain with all the ideas I've practiced and polished and make her the most impressive part of the whole build.

You know, one explanation for why mother brain looks all brainy is because she's probably (given some of the space pirate lore in Prime 3) a captured AU that has been converted for Space Pirate use. I dunno.
    But I checked out your build today, looks great!

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do the metroids try and latch on to people's heads? Now THAT would be awesome.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Phibbs, I improved Mother Brain's chamber a little bit. Made it more like how it appears in the games, a sinister-sterile computer room with lots of pipes and such. Added more holograms near Mother Brain, and added in the Mother Brain SFX I ripped from the Super Metroid OST.

BlueDestiny, unfortunately not, at least not yet. I might have one or two metroids do that, chase after the nearest person. Most of them, once scripted, will kinda amble around the rooms and corridors they're in.

Also, started the newest addition to the build:
    chozo_statue.jpg

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Do the metroids try and latch on to people's heads? Now THAT would be awesome.

New idea: metroid hat! It pulses, and everything.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm going to have to break out the Samus av again. Poor thing needs an overhaul though. I'm sure many of the older PA group people remember it. I'll have to dig up some pics.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Damn you need to shorten that nick up.

And that's pretty cool looking, Radd.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That's fucking awesome Radd. What are your plans when you are finished?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Once the Metroid build is reasonably well polished (as in it will be several rooms and corridors connected like a Metroid level with scripted metroids floating around) I'll open it up to the public and have it listed in the search engine. There will be some freebies and such hidden in the build, if I can manage it.

Not too long from now I'm expecting new land in the New Babbage sims, and I plan to put the ideas I've honed with the Metroid build to good use on a steampunk pirate island.

In the meantime, the 25th anniversary of my favourite anime, Macross, is coming up and I plan to do a freebie avatar for that. After that's done, I intend to continue the line of steampunk military avs I sell in my shops.

And a random new update from the Metroid build!
    save_station.jpg
    My weekend begins today, and when I wake up tonight I plan to head right into building. With any luck, by Wednesday it will be finished enough that I can open it up to the public.

Radd on
    sp-banner-long.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wow, today, I wandered around and found a really cool subculture called Steampunk. Like 1920's industry meets classy fancy lad stuff and Body modification. Everyone is super polite and classy and I found the greatest little shoppe. The stuff is really high quality and piratically dirt cheap! The Cane here which comes with it's own awesome AO was only 250L, the Cloak which was a custom make, obviously was only $200 and the hat was only $30L. :D

I love my av now and have gotten tons of compliments.
    Frontoutfit.jpg
    RearCloaks.jpg

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is that your sleeve tattoo or is that the actual shirt?

Because if it is your tattoo, you need to shorten the sleeves of the shirt, so that it looks like you actually have a tattoo and not some stupid looking Hot Topic shirt on..

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No, the tattoo came in 3 layers and was copyable. So I made 2 jacket layers and overlaid them onto the shirt layer which is the vest. I think it looks rather spiffy. And no, I'm not going to make it some stupid cutoff shirt.

I'm getting a crossbow made as we speak.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So how are you gentlemen (and Cynic) doing?

Contrary to my last post in here, I was actually joking, as I am very fucking busy with my band, and beta-testing, and looking for a goddamn job (why is this so hard?).

I see some Metroid stuff, whats the deal with that?

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wow, today, I wandered around and found a really cool subculture called Steampunk.

You haven't seen my gradual conversion from cyberpunk to steampunk then. :P

I'll be making a more steampunky monocle.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.