As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

*ALERT* I-5 Construction in Downtown Seattle

2»

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Traffic was better this morning than it has been in a long time. I'm not sure what the deal is, but despite half the freeway being closed off, traffic was moving very smoothly.

Doc on
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lotsa people avoided I-5 today... lets see how long they'll keep it up... I bet it'll swing the other way eventually.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Hopefully it doesn't swing the other way until after PAX

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wouldn't bank too much on this, but there's a chance that construction might complete before PAX starts.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah... currently they're 5 days ahead of schedule which means they'd finish on the 24th... that'd still effect most people coming into Seattle for day 1 of PAX though. If they can shave another day off and wrap up on the 23rd though that'd save a few headaches for people arriving day of. Of course, there's an equal chance a setback could put them back a couple days... we'll see.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    The story I heard on the Seattle NPR affiliate says the contractor gets an incentive of $100,000 for every day they finish ahead of schedule, up to 9 days.

Nothing gets people moving like more money, so I think there's a fair chance it may actually be done before the Expo starts.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just my two scents but the train might be available for some people, a little cheaper than a taxi.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is my first time being the to driver to Seattle and I just wanted to confirm the route with people. I'm coming from Portland, OR.
    1. I-5 N
    2. Exit 154 onto 518 W towards Burien
    3. Exit 509 N towards Seattle
    4. Becomes 99 N -> 1st Ave Bridge S -> E Marginal Way S
    5. Continue on Alaskan Way Viaduct / 99 N
    6. Exit Senenca St
    7. Left 1st
    8. Right on Pike
    9. Right on Convention Pl till you hit PAX.

phamtq on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yep, that'll get you there.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    causaboncausabon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    phamtq wrote: »
    • Exit Seneca St
    • Left 1st
    • Right on Pike

It's a small detail after you're that close already, but 1st is usually pretty jammed, and the intersection at Pike is also packed with pedestrians. I'd head up to 4th or 6th, make a left there, and then head to Pike. (As a general rule of thumb, in the downtown core, higher-numbered avenues = less traffic.)

causabon on
  • Options
    smilingmadmansmilingmadman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you're traveling to PAX from anywhere near the airport every day, and plan to get to the convention center early, and don't mind a couple of people traveling with you, please send me a PM.

smilingmadman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Due to some lost time because of rain it now looks like they're hoping to wrap up construction on Saturday... which means PAX'ers should give up any expectation that this will blow over before they drive into Seattle on Thurs or Friday.

It is also likely going to affect people coming in westbound on I-90 as the graphic at the end of this article illustrates they are using the I-90 collector/distributor lane to bypass construction.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    causabon wrote: »
    phamtq wrote: »
    • Exit Seneca St
    • Left 1st
    • Right on Pike

It's a small detail after you're that close already, but 1st is usually pretty jammed, and the intersection at Pike is also packed with pedestrians. I'd head up to 4th or 6th, make a left there, and then head to Pike. (As a general rule of thumb, in the downtown core, higher-numbered avenues = less traffic.)

Thanks. I'll be sure to change my directions.

phamtq on
  • Options
    strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Meh, they're supposed to be done by 5 AM on Saturday. Also, it hasn't even really given locals that much trouble.

strike_the_trip on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I-5 IS OFFICIALLY OPEN

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Be warned, for those heading north after PAX, there's more closures and work!

The I5 in South Everett will be completely closed to northbound traffic by midnight
    # DRIVER ALERT! Saturday, August 25 - Tuesday, August 28 - Crews will close northbound I-5 from 128th Street SE to SR 527 overnight to demolish the 112th Street bridge. Traffic will detour to SR 527.

* Saturday, August 25 - Crews will close two lanes at 11 p.m. with all lanes closed by midnight. One lane will reopen by 7 a.m., a second at 8 a.m., a third at 10 a.m. and all lanes will open by noon.
    * Sunday, August 26 - Crews will close two lanes at 9 p.m., a third at 11 p.m. with all lanes closed at midnight. One lane will reopen at 5 a.m. with all lanes open by 6 a.m.
    * Monday, August 27 - Crews will close two lanes at 9 p.m., a third at 11 p.m. with all lanes closed at midnight. One lane will reopen at 5 a.m. with all lanes open by 6 a.m.

While this will obviously only affect persons travelling north after PAX, one probably wants to consider taking it into account, because getting caught on it when it goes down to one lane probably won't be much fun at all.

More information here.

Theros on
  • Options
    atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    construction as officially ended as of Sunday.

atray on
  • Options
    pjarvipjarvi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I drove in on Thursday morning, and never had any problem. Maybe i'm just used to heavier traffic than what Seattle has, but it only took about 5 minutes to get through the construction area. The left lane was moving rather steadily the whole time. It was only the right lane that seemed to get backed up to a stand-still.

pjarvi on
This discussion has been closed.