As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: OLD THREAD IS OLD, GO AWAY!

TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailorSeattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in Games and Technology
Our Anthem

logojy.png

Join the Steam Penny Arcade MechWarriors Group for hot 'Mech wang action!
Behold the official Oosik Irregulars Online Mechlab!
Submit your mech builds here!
Browse submitted mech builds!
Please visit MWO Strategy Discussion for the updated Oosik Recommended Builds Master List.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO2iNFmESQ0

Inner Sphere News, the twitter feed for all your official MechWarrior needs
Outreach News, the twitter feed for up to date MWO News.

Welcome pilot to the new Mechwarrior Online OP. I understand that while some of you are seasoned veterans who know better, a decent lot of you think a futuristic, sci-fi, guided missile should be able to go further than a kilometer. Well rookie, I'm glad you're here because in this thread, common sense is lostech.

What is Mechwarrior Online?
Mechwarrior Online is a free to play, PC based, online shooter produced by Piranha Games Interactive. MWO places you in the command seat of a heavily armed and armored walking battle machine that you pilot in team based matches against other Mechwarriors. At the end of each match you earn C-Bills, the in game currency that is used to buy more items and mechs, and experience that is used to enhance your piloting abilities of your mech. Between matches, you can customize your mech with a variety of engines, weapons, subsystem modules, and chassis enancements until you have your chosen mech tailored to your liking.
There are two game modes currently; Assault and Conquest. In Assault, you and your team attempt to either capture the enemy team's base without losing your own base, or eliminate the enemy team. Conquest is a traditional domination mode where you and your team are attempting to reach the point total first or eliminate the enemy team. Later in the year, Community Warfare will be introduced that will pit player based Merc Corps and PGI operated houses against each other for control of entire planets. We don't have much information about the Warfare mode yet, but the op will be updated with it as we find out more.

What about that old Mechwarrior Reboot trailer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzge4Wc3zfw
Basically this:
The initial incarnation of Piranha Games' MechWarrior reboot, which was revealed yesterday to have become the free-to-play PC exclusive MechWarrior Online, was stymied by "a Microsoft restriction" blocking a PlayStation 3 edition. This, according to Piranha, played a big part in publishers not wanting to pick the game up.
If you'd like to know more, Shacknews has the whole story: http://www.shacknews.com/article/70879/mechwarrior-reboot-was-derailed-by-microsoft-blocking-ps3

I played MechAssault for the Xbox and it was boring. Why should I care about this?
Yo fuck MechAssault. No, really. That game was a bastardization of Mechwarrior that turned a quality series into a trashy arcade experience that changed a lot about the setting's mechanics for the worse. MechWarrior is a venerable PC franchise that dates back to 1989's Mechwarrior 1 which was based on the even older pen and paper wargame Battletech. Each game in the series was at the cutting edge of technology when it was released and each game has received massive amounts of praise for having fantastic gameplay and surprisingly quality plots. If you'd like to try out one of the older games Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries is FREE TO DOWNLOAD FOR EVERYONE! It's not a bad idea to play it at least a little bit before jumping into MWO so that you can get the hang of things against an AI before throwing down against real people.
mechwarrior3_banner.png
The New Player's Guide to Getting Started in MWO
1.) Download the client at http://www.mwomercs.com and install it.
2.) Before launching the game, click the "Visit Training Grounds" butting in the top right corner of the launcher. Watch those videos to get at least an initial grasp of what to expect. This game has a bit of a learning curve to it and while it's not super steep, it's definitely not just a jump in and click things until you win sort game. Be sure to watch the Weapon Grouping video as it'll do the most to help keep you alive. Chain fire is god.
2a.) http://mwomercs.com/pennyarcade Penny Arcade also did some Pilot Safety Posters and while they're humorous, they do have some good information in them.
3.) When you start the game you will have access to four trial mechs that rotate out for new mechs every couple of weeks or so. These are non-customizable mechs with set loadouts based on their canon setups. After twentyfive matches you will have earned an extra 8 million C-Bills on top of your winnings and will easily be able to afford a proper mech of your own. When choosing a trial mech to start with, you will want to avoid the assault mechs at first because of the four, they're the hardest to drive. Their slow speed and tendency to get primaried instantly by the enemy team means tactics are paramount and for a rookie player they're kind of a death trap despite being the most heavily armed and armored.
4.) After each match you will earn some C-Bills, pilot xp, and general xp. C-Bills are the in game currency used to buy everything except cosmetic items. Pilot XP is specific to the mech you earned it on and is used to by piloting enhancements like faster torso rotation or faster turning. To unlock elite skills you will need to get all of the basic skills for at least three variants of a specific chassis. General XP can be used on any mech and is also used to unlock modules. Pilot XP can be converted into General XP by spending Mech Credits.
5.) Mech Credits (MC) are the in game currency that you purchase with real money in order to shortcut your way to a new mech. MC is also used to purchase premium account status and cosmetic items for your mech like new paint jobs and items to put in your cockpit like bobblehead dolls. MC CANNOT be converted into C-Bills or XP meaning everyone has to earn their arms and armor equally the same.

How much is Premium time and what do you get for it?
Premium accounts get an additional 50% of earned XP and 50% of earned C-Bills. In the future, Premium accounts may get bonuses and features in Community Warfare that free accounts don't but nothing firm has been actually said.

Premium time costs are as follows:
1 Day - 250 MC
3 Days - 650 MC
7 Days - 1,250 MC
30 Days - 2,500 MC
180 Days - 13,500 MC
360 - 24,000 MC

The MWO PA Community
The Oosik Irregulars formed when the 2nd Oosik Regulars, while deploying to protect a critical steelworks on Twycross, "mis-calculated" a set of jump coordinates and arrived instead in orbit of Talisker IV. Apparently not realizing the mistake, the Oosiks took up defensive positions--which would later prove fortunate, as the planet was subject to a surprise attack by a combined-arms force of 'mechs and infantry in an attempt to take control of its HPG uplink. In the ensuing battle, the HPG uplink was swiftly destroyed (allegedly due to friendly fire), but the Oosiks--now out of contact with their command structure--elected to remain on Talisker IV. They dug in around the capital city--incidentally home of the sector's only Class 3 brewery--and prepared to fight an extended siege. In the following weeks, the Oosiks earned a reputation as one of the most obdurate and immovable companies in the Inner Sphere. According to contemporary accounts, they could be dislodged neither by any quantity of enemy fire nor by the direct, angrily-shouted orders of their superiors.

In the aftermath of the conflict, the Oosik Irregulars became a mercenary unit, claiming Talisker IV as their base of operations henceforth.

Join the PA vent to play with fine people of discerning taste!
host: vent20.gameservers.com
port: 4384
password: you should probably know already

We have two community websites! The first one is the main merc corp website: theoosiks.com/. When community warfare comes out it will be our primary recruiting and organizing location for all of you interested in community warfare. Our other website is Outreach Broadcast News. It is our primary news posting website you can follow to stay up to date with all breaking MWO news. It also features a mechlab and the only mech build database online.

Finally, the following information is extremely confidential. This is our primary battleplan and should be considered the ultimate flowchart to victory:
MvrckStrategy.png
mechwarrior-online-banner.jpg
Additional Links and Info
MWOOSK! The official Oosik Irregulars Online Mechlab!
Submit your mech builds here and browse other people's creations!
http://mwowiki.org/wiki/Main_Page - Tons of useful information about most of the game's assets.
Not happy with your framerate or graphics quality? Here are some tweaks and work-arounds you can try
List of confirmed battlemechs, with hardpoint layouts for each variant (Updated to include all playable variants)
Colonel Pada Vinson's User Cfgs: If you want to make MWO look extra shiny then apply one of these user cfgs! You will not be banned nor are you doing anything wrong by using these. They are 100% legal.

Having technical issues? Try these things out!
1. A reinstall can do wonders if you're having problems with the bootstrap launcher (the patcher thing that pops up before you get the login window). Sometimes the uninstall goes wrong (because of course), so go here if it won't reinstall.

2. Try manually deleting the shader cache (MWO should do this automatically, but sometimes fails and it gets corrupted). The post in the link also gives steps to set up a batch script to force the deletion each time MWO loads.

3. This is a weird fix, but some people found that moving the install directory to another physical drive solves crashes. Literally cut/paste the directory and update shortcuts manually. Not sure if moving to another partition on the same drive helps.

4. Force your video card to stop power-save throttling and disable ambient occlusion. If ambient occlusion is listed "unsupported" for Nvidia cards, try this sub-post to import a fixed game profile for the control panel.

5. Force multi-threading, in case the game isn't using all available cores.

Hey I want one of those swanky Oosik Irregulars sigs! How do I get one?
PM @TOGSolid or @Kashaar
mwo.jpg
I Just Can't Get Enough Mech Stuff!

MechCommander
MechCommander and MechCommander 2 are free. They're pretty fun; you basically load out your 'mechs and command them in battle. They're pretty good recreations of the MechWarrior games, actually. Certainly worth a look if you enjoy strategy and mechs.
By popular request:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8mOiRLQB6E

MechWarrior: Living Legends
Living Legends is a kickass Crysis Wars MechWarrior mod. It's almost professional quality. The graphics are stupendous and they've done more than just add 'mechs: you get a bunch of the air vehicles and ground vehicles, too, plus Elementals if you're silly enough NOT to want to pilot a giant walking tank. The mod is multiplayer only and it even has Solaris arena matches in there. Definitely check this out if you have Crysis Wars, because it's free (as long as you own Crysis Wars, duh). Here is the Penny Arcade forum thread for this game.
UPDATE: This mod is no longer being developed but is still available to play.

MechWarrior 2
MechWarrior 2 is not free but if you own a copy already (like, say, MW2: Mercenaries woooo) you can get it running on Windows XP (and Vista and 7?) with MechVM. Install MechVM, put your CD in, and tell MechVM to install from the CD. Bada-bing, it runs fine. An alternative is to use MW2hook which works pretty well but is a bit of work to figure out.

MechWarrior 3
MechWarrior3.org should have everything you need to get up and running.
MUbLe.jpg
Odds and Ends
xlarge.jpg

XVejz.gif

Some of this OP was shamelessly copied from the old one @TychoCelchuuu wrote.

wWuzwvJ.png
TOGSolid on

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So, carried over from the old thread because it's wrecking my head. @CarbonFire

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j4y4O1JP7Yg

I have never had any success with the LBX and videos like this seem like compelling evidence of them being terribad. However, I know a number of people here love them to death, and I think most people here are at least pretty decent at the game so I can't dismiss their opinions out of hand.

Is the LBX crap? And if not, can someone explain to me what exactly is going wrong in the above video?

(Just in case anybody can't watch the video right now for whatever reason: it depicts a stationary Muromets firing at a Commando on the training grounds, first with LBX, then with AC/10. With the reticle on the target's CT at approximately 270m distance, it takes 55 LBX shots to destroy the Commando. It takes just 4 shots from the AC/10 to achieve the same result.)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Geth is all over this new thread apparently. All hail our Stompy Robot Overlords.

Oh and fuck yes SRM buffs. Reaper will return tomorrow for much stomping action.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    In regards to the title and Mvrck's post, for those who missed it...and update from Paul:
    "We were able to sneak the SRM damage buff into the build for tomorrow's patch. As of tomorrow, SRM damage will be set temporarily to 2.0 (until the hit detection issue is addressed) taking into account the overwhelming response in the buff poll.

Investigation started: For the 30th patch, we are looking at possibly bumping PPC and ERPPC base heat generation. If we do bump the base heat, the heat scale for these weapons will be lowered. This is just an update and not a guarantee that this change will be added to the game."

I am concerned that they are putting way too much stock in the hit detection issue being what ails SRMs and that if/when they fix that they'll go back to being wimpy at 1.5dmg/missile.

However, on the bright side, knowing PGI, it will be MONTHS before they fix the "hit detection issue." :D And in the meantime hopefully we can enjoy more viable gameplay for brawlers, lights, and mediums.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Geth is all over this new thread apparently. All hail our Stompy Robot Overlords.

Oh and fuck yes SRM buffs. Reaper will return tomorrow for much stomping action.

Johnny Gatlas coming back out of retirement

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I can finally drive my Quickdraws! Yaaaaaaaaaay!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

I have never had any success with the LBX and videos like this seem like compelling evidence of them being terribad. However, I know a number of people here love them to death, and I think most people here are at least pretty decent at the game so I can't dismiss their opinions out of hand.

Is the LBX crap? And if not, can someone explain to me what exactly is going wrong in the above video?

(Just in case anybody can't watch the video right now for whatever reason: it depicts a stationary Muromets firing at a Commando on the training grounds, first with LBX, then with AC/10. With the reticle on the target's CT at approximately 270m distance, it takes 55 LBX shots to destroy the Commando. It takes just 4 shots from the AC/10 to achieve the same result.)

The LBX is popular because it's fun. Not because it's effective.

It's not a direct fire destroyer but supposed to seek crits after armor has been removed. Hopefully from one of your own primary weapons. Yup, I said it, the LBX isn't a primary weapon.

If you think of it as something between an SRM and LRM, it's not that bad (albeit very large and heavy for that role). It does have a longer range than SRMS and is easier to shoot. Has a higher ROF and less heat.

I'm considering trying out a Flame w/ 300xl, 2x LPLAs, 2x MLas, and a LBX.

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

Pretty sure that the only time the LB-10X is "good" is in two cases: when you see a target of opportunity (i.e. armor stripped, preferably with ammo on that section) and can make use of the greater crit chances/damage to internals, or shooting at speedy light mechs, preferably at the legs. You may only get 2-3 pellets to connect but that's better than 0/1 AC-10 round. Either way, I'd rather have the AC-10 in most cases over the LB-10X.

I'm glad there isn't a disagree/hate button for @Kusmeroglu and all the other LB-10X aficionados to press :D

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular

Just in time to BUY a D-DC (and build a Reaper out of it)!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I am a proponent of the LBX.

Also, hot damn, can't wait for Tuesday. Finally a step in the right direction.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Capsaicin wrote: »

It's not a direct fire destroyer but supposed to seek crits after armor has been removed. Hopefully from one of your own primary weapons. Yup, I said it, the LBX isn't a primary weapon.

If you think of it as something between an SRM and LRM, it's not that bad (albeit very large and heavy for that role). It does have a longer range than SRMS and is easier to shoot. Has a higher ROF and less heat.

You are correct, except LBX is absolutely effective.

Double LBX on Jager with 4 ML is the bestest thing and does really well in combat. The cycle time is key.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    The LB-10x really shines within 180m, so it's best used on mechs that can move decently fast. Think Fast Cats, Dragons or Blackjacks.

I personally think they should have a slightly faster recycle time (2.3 seconds vs 2.5) to counteract their relatively weak range. Really though, people like them here specifically because they're sort of the underdog weapon. They can be effective, but you won't see min-maxers use them, so that makes them more appealing to many here.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options

Double LBX on Jager with 4 ML is the bestest thing and does really well in combat. The cycle time is key.

It is effective, but it's extremely situational.

UAC5 > LBX

• Options
    Yeah, the LBX is just fun to play with. PA bros can do work with them because generally we're better than average pilots. It's one of those cases of "good players doing well with bad weapons."

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013

It is effective, but it's extremely situational.

UAC5 > LBX

I love my UAC5 but too much jam involved. I like just chunking out the enemy core. Plus the sound is cathartic.

Also if you can do well with a bad weapon, what makes the weapon "bad"? ;)

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm excited about the SRM changes tomorrow, spewin' rockets everywhah!

Seriously though, on a few of my mechs, like my Highlander for example, I have 2xSSRMs for harassing lights and general extra punch. At 2 damage per missile, would it be worth it to switch to 2xSRM6's?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    The threshold on SRM6s is what again? 3 or 4?

• Options

Seriously though, on a few of my mechs, like my Highlander for example, I have 2xSSRMs for harassing lights and general extra punch. At 2 damage per missile, would it be worth it to switch to 2xSRM6's?

Keep in mind Streaks are supposed to be altered also, so that they don't seek the CT nearly as much. Without knowing the outcome of that change, it's hard to say which way you should go.

Offhand I'd say for the moment keep the Streaks for fending off lights just because hitting fast targets with regular SRMs is still going to be tough. Also, 2xSSRM and 2xSRM6 are a big difference in weight...

• Options
    The threshold on SRM6s is what again? 3 or 4?

3. 4 is the threshold for SRM4's.

tumblr_mj4w3fWIld1qfzndqo1_500.gif

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    In regards to the title and Mvrck's post, for those who missed it...and update from Paul:
    "We were able to sneak the SRM damage buff into the build for tomorrow's patch. As of tomorrow, SRM damage will be set temporarily to 2.0 (until the hit detection issue is addressed) taking into account the overwhelming response in the buff poll.

Investigation started: For the 30th patch, we are looking at possibly bumping PPC and ERPPC base heat generation. If we do bump the base heat, the heat scale for these weapons will be lowered. This is just an update and not a guarantee that this change will be added to the game."

I am concerned that they are putting way too much stock in the hit detection issue being what ails SRMs and that if/when they fix that they'll go back to being wimpy at 1.5dmg/missile.

However, on the bright side, knowing PGI, it will be MONTHS before they fix the "hit detection issue." :D And in the meantime hopefully we can enjoy more viable gameplay for brawlers, lights, and mediums.

Honestly, SRMs should be given 2 damage per missile as a minimum, and then tweak hit detection etc around that damage level.

I also have no idea what he means by the "heat scale" of PPCs being different than the "base heat".

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

Honestly, SRMs should be given 2 damage per missile as a minimum, and then tweak hit detection etc around that damage level.

I also have no idea what he means by the "heat scale" of PPCs being different than the "base heat".

Totally agree about SRMs.

I started to type commentary/speculation on "heat scale" versus "base heat" with PPC's myself in the last thread and then stopped because I realized that I had no damn clue what he means either.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

Depends on what the other weapons are on your HGN. Streaks are nice because they are essentially "never miss" weapons which works well as a deterrent against lights, and they don't put out much heat. 2 SRM6 will put out double the heat, and you'll have to aim (though they are arm-mounted), but you can potentially do up to triple the damage of SSRMs at close range. If you have the spare heat capacity, try it out. My HGN-733 ran quad SRM6 for a while, and (coupled with the gauss rifle) up close that blast is devastating.

• Options
    Oh, where on Twitter did you guys see a thing about PPCs getting potentially heat nerfed later on?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So has anybody sprung for any of the Victors yet? I'm curious how they perform. None of the ones I've seen in matches seem to ever do all that well, though of course that's just anecdotal evidence from pubbies, and in what little discussion I've seen on the official forums, opinions seem to go from mixed to negative. They have their defenders but it seems like whenever any of those people say, "I kick ass with my build," the build that follows is utter crap that makes me wonder if they even play the same game as the rest of us.

I tried some builds for the fun of it.

In Yo' Face [VTR-9S]: 2xMLAS, 3xSSRM, AMS, AC/20, 385XL, DHS, Artemis, Endo This packs a punch up close but it costs a fortune to outfit and the Victor's torso seems really vulnerable for an XL.

Apparently none of the Victor variants have the missile tubes to fire more than 6 missiles at a time, which is a major drawback for a brawler in an era of resurgent SRMs.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Victors I could see doing well with a huge std engine, an AC20x and some srms.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I'll say this for the Victors...they don't drop quite as easily as Awesomes. They're still not great at tanking damage, but probably a combination of their slightly smaller torsos and proper jumpjet usage makes focus firing their internals a little more difficult. I think, like the 9M, the best Victors will be fast Victors.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    LBXs are nice because you don't have to worry about aiming. That's a plus in my book :P

But really, they are a FUN weapon to use. Killing lights and shit is just beautiful with them and the fast cycle time is nice as well. They are outstripped in performance by many other weapons most aspects but Fun is not one of them for me.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    OrickOrick Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    More like people being bad at space shotguns.

OK. Can you explain what exactly the person in the video is doing that is "bad"? He has his reticle on the CT of the target at what seems like it should be a very reasonably optimum range.

Not trying to start an argument here. I have never had much success with the LBX but I know some people here love it so I am trying to get a handle on it.

That is not optimal range.Optimal range for space shot Gun is 0 m.

And you don't chain them.

• Options
    Orick wrote: »

He chained both types of weapon on purpose to get an accurate figure of how many shots each would take to do the job. It's not as if the damage increases exponentially if you group fire them.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    The LBX's main advantage, IMO, is the low heat. An AC/10 makes 1.2 heat per second, while the LBX is only 0.8. That makes it a lot easier to couple with laser fire (or flamers!). At close range most of the pellets will hit the same area on mediums and above, so it's almost as effective as the AC/10 at that point.

Edit: See, Geth likes shotguns too. Probably uses the Geth Shotgun in ME3.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Oh, where on Twitter did you guys see a thing about PPCs getting potentially heat nerfed later on?

It's an update in the heat scale thread. http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/126651-heat-scale-and-general-update/page__p__2558842

Seems very tentative at the moment. Fuck knows why, PPCs are so obviously borked.

Campy on
  • Options
    Apogee wrote: »
    The LBX's main advantage, IMO, is the low heat. An AC/10 makes 1.2 heat per second, while the LBX is only 0.8. That makes it a lot easier to couple with laser fire (or flamers!). At close range most of the pellets will hit the same area on mediums and above, so it's almost as effective as the AC/10 at that point.

Edit: See, Geth likes shotguns too. Probably uses the Geth Shotgun in ME3.

Good damage, low heat, low cycle time, great for fighting light targets but can still punch through heavier ones. It's not a bad weapon, it does what it is supposed to do well. It does lack range but the range can actually be deceptive, you can get some decent damage out to 500m, and I've tagged lights as far out as 700m and taken them down. Now you aren't going to be dropping an Atlas at that range but it's easier to close on an Atlas than a light.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So has anybody sprung for any of the Victors yet? I'm curious how they perform. None of the ones I've seen in matches seem to ever do all that well, though of course that's just anecdotal evidence from pubbies, and in what little discussion I've seen on the official forums, opinions seem to go from mixed to negative. They have their defenders but it seems like whenever any of those people say, "I kick ass with my build," the build that follows is utter crap that makes me wonder if they even play the same game as the rest of us.

In Yo' Face [VTR-9S]: 2xMLAS, 3xSSRM, AMS, AC/20, 385XL, DHS, Artemis, Endo This packs a punch up close but it costs a fortune to outfit and the Victor's torso seems really vulnerable for an XL.

Apparently none of the Victor variants have the missile tubes to fire more than 6 missiles at a time, which is a major drawback for a brawler in an era of resurgent SRMs.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. SRM6 is the largest they go.

• Options
    Maybe he's dreaming of the future glory days of MRM40s?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    OrickOrick Registered User regular

He chained both types of weapon on purpose to get an accurate figure of how many shots each would take to do the job. It's not as if the damage increases exponentially if you group fire them.

It does. Trust me. It's like space magic. Don't argue with space magic. Just get right up there and kablam. Best thing to aim for are raven legs.

• Options
    edited July 2013

The 'mech only has six missile tubes total even though all the variants have 2-3 missile hardpoints. (Actually only the 9S model has six tubes...the others have four.) So I can fill up the three missile hardpoints with three SRM6's...but when I fire them, they will come out in three flights of six, one after another, instead of all at once.

You know the missile hardpoint where the NARC usually goes on the Stalker 5M? There is only one missile tube for that hardpoint. So (last I checked anyway) any other missile launcher you put there will only fire missiles one at a time. So if you wanted you could put an LRM20 there and fire 20 missile one at a time just for the lulz.

The Victor's missile hardpoints are like that, just to a somewhat less extreme degree...at least according to the people on the official forums (I don't own any Victors yet myself).

Gaslight on
  • Options

If it's two launchers trying to use 6 tubes, does it fire twelve missiles at once, or two volleys of 6?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    edit: apparently my post button has two tubes

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

It does. Trust me. It's like space magic. Don't argue with space magic. Just get right up there and kablam. Best thing to aim for are raven legs.

It is unfortunate that there are no Raven variants with jumpjets.

It's really unsporting to shoot skeet with birds that don't fly.

• Options
    MechMantis wrote: »

It is unfortunate that there are no Raven variants with jumpjets.

Um...

I guess this just goes to show how superfluous all the variants besides the 3L are.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Tubes apply PER LAUNCHER. 6 tubes will fire 3 SRM6s as one nasty volley.