Options

[PA Comic] Monday, July 22, 2013 - Sand, Part Four

2»

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I would have gone with "she" rather than "her" in the last panel, but no biggie.

You're right. "Not it, her" makes it sound like he was supposed to say "And her just runs the show," which is obviously wrong. I expect better from a Scripturion like Jerry!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think you can forgive pronoun misuse in character dialogue

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    MrLeville wrote: »
    Sorry, English isn't my first language but why is it "not it, her", instead of "not it, she" in the last panel? It would seem replacing "it" by "her" in the previous sentence "And it just runs the show" would make an incorrect sentence. Is there a joke I'm missing? Is it a commonly accepted rule? Is it a mistake?

Okay that's actually legit. It flew by me unnoticed though so I guess when intent is understood we just slap on an OK and that's that. Good catch.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The story just got weird.

Really, they could totally fix that grammar error.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jerry wrote:
    At first I thought he said “scripturion,” like some some kind of word-warrior, and I reacted viscerally

<3<3<3

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JimmyDarkmagicJimmyDarkmagic Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I think that I'd look at it this way. "The ship is not an it, the ship is a her." It would be strange to say "the ship is a she," because in that sentence, the pronoun is in the objective case, as the object of the verb to be. Either way should be correct as to grammatical construction and meaning.

Actually, this is the one case where that is incorrect. The objective case is not used when the verb is a stative verb (i.e., "to be"). In this case, "her" is not actually an object, it is a predicate nominative, and should therefore be in the subjective case. As goofy as it sounds to us, "It is I" or "This is he" are correct and "It's me" and "This is him" are incorrect.

JimmyDarkmagic on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    When do we see Harrison Ford?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Weird comic... also birthday comic :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    From Jerry's newspost I learned that the online Merriam-Webster dictionary requires a subscription of some sort. So I did a define: search on Google instead. God help me if Google ever starts requiring a subscription.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    kismesisterkismesister Mu Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Seems like a weird place to scene shift. I think this would have worked better with the original long panel format from the preview. Cut up from the jail into the nightsky, then to the ship, etc.

Now it's just kind of jarring and awkward. I knew the comic had sci fi elements but yikes what a confusing way to introduce that.

And yeah, it should be 'she', not 'her', but like @Wyborn said: you can forgive this kind of thing in dialogue.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    From Jerry's newspost I learned that the online Merriam-Webster dictionary requires a subscription of some sort. So I did a define: search on Google instead. God help me if Google ever starts requiring a subscription.

http://www.dictionary.com always works in a pinch :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I actually tried that before google, but apparently dictionary.com doesn't have 10 dollar words like “frutescent” and “scripturient.”

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I actually tried that before google, but apparently dictionary.com doesn't have 10 dollar words like “frutescent” and “scripturient.”

Well sure, you're not expecting to get 10 dollar words for free, are you?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    There is no forgiveness in the Scriptosseum.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »

Lexagon?

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I think that I'd look at it this way. "The ship is not an it, the ship is a her." It would be strange to say "the ship is a she," because in that sentence, the pronoun is in the objective case, as the object of the verb to be. Either way should be correct as to grammatical construction and meaning.

Actually, this is the one case where that is incorrect. The objective case is not used when the verb is a stative verb (i.e., "to be"). In this case, "her" is not actually an object, it is a predicate nominative, and should therefore be in the subjective case. As goofy as it sounds to us, "It is I" or "This is he" are correct and "It's me" and "This is him" are incorrect.
    1. Oh hooray, prescriptivism.
    2. Nope. If it were "The ship is she," you'd be right (or at least, in conformance with the most commonly accepted standards of formal English). The use of a in there, as in "The ship is a she/her," indicates the use of a particular colloquialism that puts she or her in the mention sense, instead of the use sense, so either makes sense.
    3. In any case, an argument can be made for either here, so it's pointless to argue that the authors made a mistake. The fact that the characters are humans, and not robots, is kind of a key component of the comic.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    as far as the grammar goes it's somewhat ambiguous because two people are talking to each other. "Her just runs the show" is obviously incorrect, but the rules of subject agreement don't necessarily need to be followed when writing dialogue.

this is the kind of thing that would sound much more natural if spoken, rather than read. When you read it the immediate disconnect between forms is jarring, but if you say it to yourself without reading it seems much more natural.

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    In a conversation, one party doesn't necessarily stop to consider how his/her use of pronouns would fit into a previously uttered sentence, and the sentence in the last panel is more natural, as a standalone sentence.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »

Lexagon?

No, Gabe drew this one.

• Options
    ZoltanZoltan Registered User new member
    edited July 2013
    Do you guys think Tycho reads Iain M. Banks? This dialogue could almost been pulled from a Culture novel (except for the reference to sleep during travel). The ship is even reminiscent of a Mind GSV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_types_(The_Culture)

Zoltan on
    Monster Hunter Tri ID : BAB98Z
    Spiral Knights : Caliburn
  • Options
    FITorionFITorion Registered User regular
    Not to sound like a complete noob... but is this based on something? a game? your original IP? Because now I'm lost... and usually when you lose me... it's because of a reference I'm not familiar with.

• Options
    fadamorfadamor Registered User regular

No joke in that panel that I know of, it's dramatic foreshadowing. Panels 2 and 3 would be the funny ones. They've done some in-depth research to manage their PR. :P

Her correction is actually incorrect. She's replacing the pronoun he used with "her". Now go back and read the guy's sentence aloud using "her" instead of "it". EPIC FAIL usage. Now read it again using "she". Correct usage.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I thought this was a very out of nowhere reference to the Kevin Sorbo syndicated television show Andromeda for some reason.
    fadamor wrote: »

No joke in that panel that I know of, it's dramatic foreshadowing. Panels 2 and 3 would be the funny ones. They've done some in-depth research to manage their PR. :P

Her correction is actually incorrect. She's replacing the pronoun he used with "her". Now go back and read the guy's sentence aloud using "her" instead of "it". EPIC FAIL usage. Now read it again using "she". Correct usage.

They may have moved things around. I wonder if it was originally an interjection in panel 1
    "ship flies itself..." "Not it. Her."

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    sebnmsebnm Registered User new member
    Zoltan wrote: »
    Do you guys think Tycho reads Iain M. Banks? This dialogue could almost been pulled from a Culture novel (except for the reference to sleep during travel). The ship is even reminiscent of a Mind GSV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_types_(The_Culture)

This is the first thing that came to my mind too. I'm trying to remember which of his novels has this exact conversation. Oh well, looking forward to the rest of this story!

• Options
    SecretagentmanSecretagentman Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Scriptopossum sounds like a villain from Darkwing Duck. But that's a good thing.

Secretagentman on
    PSN: matter_ic
    Professional forum lurker
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    fadamor wrote: »

You would have a point if they were robots.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    It would be hilarious if we petitioned them to change it or someone mocks them about it at PAX.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Sorry, they'll only cave to pressure to change the ending to Sand part 3.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Homestar wrote: »
    Seems like a weird place to scene shift. I think this would have worked better with the original long panel format from the preview. Cut up from the jail into the nightsky, then to the ship, etc.

Now it's just kind of jarring and awkward. I knew the comic had sci fi elements but yikes what a confusing way to introduce that.

And yeah, it should be 'she', not 'her', but like @Wyborn said: you can forgive this kind of thing in dialogue.

One of the PA books has original artwork and write up about sand, as already mentioned the ship crashes and creates a line of robot jesuses to annoy the locals. I suspect this panel has jumped back in time, though I really like your idea for the transition.

• Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    The ship = a tennis ball, inside a slipper, covered in purple glitter.

I like it.
    I just look at it and see a Trackball mouse innn spaaaaaaaaace!

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Hell, I'm one of the few people that really enjoyed Cowboys vs. Aliens, but the sudden context switch was a tad jarring. Now that I know it's not some kind of mistake, I'm genuinely looking forward to how they tie this together.

And it's a long standing tradition to refer to ships as female (perhaps since Roman times), even without AI. ST:TNG touched on the gender issue with Data having to correct Pulaski that she should refer to him as "he" and not "it". But that raises the question: was his gender identity inherent to his ego, or was it because he was "fully functional"? In the case of the ship's AI in Sand, I would imagine that the female form was chosen because it is easier for humans to anthropomorphize her considering she is designed to be "maternal". It's easier to be OK with being mothered by an AI if you perceive it as female.

EDIT: Probably should have posted this in the new thread for today.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    Well, he's "Mr. Data," after all.