As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superhero Movies] RIP Michael Ansara

19495969798100»

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    oh hey, I was just wondering if the second trailer was coming soon

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    look just get it over with and have a beach episode, thor 2

Thor: Free

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Loki's cell seems pretty well-furnished and comfortable.

The Asgardians are more progressive jailers than you might think

well they used to hang you upside down while a snake dripped its venom in your eyes, but crime plummeted so quickly they had to release the snake due to budget cuts

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, mild mannered Clark Kent, wears glasses, only weakness is kryptonite, has a thing with Lois Lane

The preceding facts about Superman are:
    1. True.
    2. True.
    3. Not true.
    4. Varying wildly in all of the adaptations of Superman over the past twenty years. Clark Kent may always exist, but he has not always been mild mannered and has not worn glasses in the last couple of adaptations that I've seen of him.
    5. Not true.
    6. Not in the New 52!

What people have on Superman is the overall superhero. The generic superhero is based on him, when you're using the idea of a superhero in parody or reference, but that's all that's left, for most people. That generic flies, is strong, wears a cape thing.

The point is, how many people in the world know that Superman has cold breath?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The point is, how many people in the world know that Superman has cold breath?

I don't think that's the point at all

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Well no, it isn't

The point is how much do people know about Superman beyond "he is a superhero, with standard superhero powers" and "he wears red and blue with a big S on his chest"

And I'm not saying that people don't know anything beyond that

I just don't have a lot of faith in that, and I think there's a decent bit more to know about Superman

And they may not know a whole lot about other superheroes either, but I think the other ones mentioned are a little bit easier to sum up than Superman is, despite his prototypical nature

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

As a technologically advanced society without poverty or disease, they don't really want for much

I suspect crime is very low indeed in Asgard, and as such they have little to no need for prisons or much of a punishment system at all

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    When Odin is your leader I definitely see that being the case.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Loki's also rich, white, and the son of their king. I doubt that inner city minority Asgardians receive the same treatment.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    technically loki is blue/a frost giant

http://comicsalliance.com/superman-batman-crossover-movie-casting-gosling-brolin-manganiello-goode/
    Some of the names floating around include Drive‘s Ryan Gosling, No Country for Old Men’s Josh Brolin, True Blood‘s Joe Manganiello and Watchmen‘s Matthew Goode.

You’ll notice that two of those actors have their share of gray hair. That’s intentional. Snyder reportedly wants a Batman in his 30s or 40s to fill the role, aiming to have Superman take on a gruff, experienced Batman.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    What....

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I honestly want to see Brolin Batman

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Loki's also rich, white, and the son of their king. I doubt that inner city minority Asgardians receive the same treatment.

The dimension with that giant snake is being refurbished.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I can't really see Gosling as Batman, to be honest

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Speaking of Gosling I'm seeing Only God Forgives tomorrow. Let's see if it's as bad as most critics think it is.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Well, considering they've said a huge inspiration for the movie is the ending of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns...

• Options
    edited August 2013

I am sure that Loki being white has nothing to do with it

there's no evidence whatsoever that the Asgardians have any problems with race discrimination at all

also they don't really seem to have money, either. Which also fits with them being stupendously advanced so resources are kind of just there when you need them

being a Prince, though, yeah. That probably helps.

Solar on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Heimdall worked so hard to get out of the Asgardian ghettos though

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

As a technologically advanced society without poverty or disease, they don't really want for much

I suspect crime is very low indeed in Asgard, and as such they have little to no need for prisons or much of a punishment system at all

well, they need somewhere to toss Volstagg until he sobers up enough to go home, but otherwise you're probably right

so Loki's probably chilling in a repurposed Drunk Tank

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    superman defined the standard superhero, I think it's reductive to say that people "just" think of him as that

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

http://comicsalliance.com/superman-batman-crossover-movie-casting-gosling-brolin-manganiello-goode/
    Some of the names floating around include Drive‘s Ryan Gosling, No Country for Old Men’s Josh Brolin, True Blood‘s Joe Manganiello and Watchmen‘s Matthew Goode.

You’ll notice that two of those actors have their share of gray hair. That’s intentional. Snyder reportedly wants a Batman in his 30s or 40s to fill the role, aiming to have Superman take on a gruff, experienced Batman.

But there was nothing in MoS to suggest that other superheroes existed in that world. In fact, if Batman had been around for several years then what was he doing when the Kryptonians threatened earth?
    Joolander wrote: »

He's been a doorman/chauffeur for several thousand years and Odin still won't give him the promotion he deserves.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    batman was flying around in the batjet saving people

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    obviously it's the same scenario as avengers wherein war machine was busy doing something else really far away and couldnt fly over to new york to help

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

But there was nothing in MoS to suggest that other superheroes existed in that world. In fact, if Batman had been around for several years then what was he doing when the Kryptonians threatened earth?
    Joolander wrote: »

He's been a doorman/chauffeur for several thousand years and Odin still won't give him the promotion he deserves.

doorman =/= guardian of the sacred bifrost, gateway to the nine realms and path to Asgard

This discussion has been closed.