As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old S T E A M thread

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Relatedly, I picked BioShock: Infinite up and am playing it for the first time. It's... odd. Like, I know there's some kind of weird-ass twist somewhere (mid-game, more than likely), because there's some groundwork being laid, but I'm not even close to there yet.

Also, checkpoints? Really? Come on now.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    jclast wrote: »

Thanks!

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Set the wayback machine for the late '90's, Sherman!

So, Elemental: Fallen Enchantress is on sale right now 75% off. My question is - is this the best modern clone of the old Heroes of Might and Magic games? Specifically, HOMM 2 and 3. I understand that HOMM is up to HOMM VI now, but it seems like it fell off after HOMM 3?

Worth a buy? Is it like HOMM? I've heard it described as "two parts Civilization, one part HOMM" which gives me...two parts I don't really care for. Idk, I loved Master of Orion 2, but I don't really care for 4x games in general (Gal Civ 2 sucked, Endless Space has awesome planetary management and crap battles and research).

Sell me on it, Steam forums. I want stacks of Red Dragons while I just spam Armageddon.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    No, for a HoMMage, you'll be wanting the kings bounty series. Elemental is a 4x

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Does Kings Bounty have the same kind of overworld limited-moves / resource management / citybuilding component that HOMM does? The trailer on Steam shows hex-type batles like HOMM, but it looks like the overworld you just kind of run around with no limit on movement?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

I also have the following Origin keys to give away, just send me a PM.

Burnout Paradise

Mirrors Edge

Command and Conquer 3: Red Alert Uprising

Medal of Honor

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options

Does Kings Bounty have the same kind of overworld limited-moves / resource management / citybuilding component that HOMM does? The trailer on Steam shows hex-type batles like HOMM, but it looks like the overworld you just kind of run around with no limit on movement?

The overworld is real time, and the city upgrading is pretty limited, but resource management is just as big a thing as homm

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    The real question is how does Fallen Enchantress stack up to Master of Magic?

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Wow, both 7th Guest and 11th Hour are up on Steam now. I'm not sure how well those have held up over the years. Also, the cake puzzle can go to hell.

I just speedran 7th Guest for a charity games marathon. It runs pretty clunky and slow, but if you enjoy incredibly overacted puzzle games it's still cheesy and fun.

I liken it to The Jazz Singer in that it's not really a great game by modern standards, but it is an important one.
    9178f8ac0b28c94fb0ba6849a805052c.png

So!

7th Guest and 11th Hour are wonderful and part of PC gaming history. They probably should be selling for about half what they are priced for now ($10!) but if you like puzzle games and want to see some of the first horror games that were actually scary (to me when I was a kid at least) they are worth picking up. Also, hilariously cheezy acting.

7th-guest-game-room.jpg

I'm harassing Trilobyte on Facebook to add steam achievements and trading cards to help drive sales.

The $ they make off of the steam releases are also going to go towards the new game (the studio got back together last year, I think) in the series!

7g_2.jpg

On a side note, people in the steam forums for the games are aghast that these games are available on Steam because of how old they are and have been falsely advertised as "new releases" olol

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I'm looking at a blurry cake on my phone. I think I have mono.

What am I missing here?

Oh man if you really think you have mono I'm so sorry man. I had mono years ago and thought I was dying for quite a few weeks. It was not great.

At least this video game hobby is rarely slowed by being sick! If I ever am, my wife goes out to work, and I pretend I'll stay in bed all day, but really I'll stay on the couch all day. I'm still resting!

I thought I had mono once for an entire year.

Turned out I was just really bored.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    On a side note, people in the steam forums for the games are aghast that these games are available on Steam because of how old they are and have been falsely advertised as "new releases" olol

Oh, the scandal.

The 7th Guest was goddamn awesome for it's time. I still can sing "Skeletons In My Closet" from memory. Sanger had a great soundtrack there.

It's available on sale at GOG for the moment, too.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

@SummaryJudgement

No it does not. Its still amazing though. Kings Bounty is basically an RPG with HoMM type fights. Resource management is done with Mana/Troop size/secondary mana mechanic and so the overworld is about planning the order in which you execute fights and acquire resources

As someone who finds the overworld strategy layer of HoMM to be tedious [i would much rather play a strategy game like Warlock] i think Kings Bounty is the far superior game.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    You know I actually like Eador more for the HoMM-like, for the opposite reason. I also didn't love the overworld layer of HOMM, and I think Eador streamlines that a little and generally has been fun. Although it has that thing I hate about strategy games of this type where I don't want to play on "completely easy" mode, but jacking up the difficulty can mean you run into a wall 20 hours in where you realize your AI opponent has infinite dragons now and you're doomed and maybe it's because they have a free 10,000 gold.

King's Bounty was always nice in that you're able to pick your battles and progress at your own pace.

Speaking of strategy games: anyone else have Warlock? And if so, do you know why it slows the rest of your programs to a crawl when alt-tabbed? I've been having a lot of fun with it but man it really makes things run like molasses.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Wow, apparently Dark Matter is a huge rip-off. (Spoilers, I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTPS_GGhMqk

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I initially liked eador, but then I tried a harder difficulty and it was just a slog

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »

I'm harassing Trilobyte on Facebook to add steam achievements and trading cards to help drive sales.

The $ they make off of the steam releases are also going to go towards the new game (the studio got back together last year, I think) in the series!

7g_2.jpg

They are currently working on a third game, and if you go to the Robert Hirschboeck (Stauf) facebook page he puts up behind the scenes pictures and stuff. Guy has been playing Stauf for twenty years and still absolutely loves it.

stauf_zpse5cd0b8a.jpg

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

WTF?

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Drake wrote: »
    The real question is how does Fallen Enchantress stack up to Master of Magic?
    It's not a bad riff on MoM. I get that vibe as I play it with my heroes leading armies of creatures and searching out magic items and mana crystals to expand my spellbook.

I quite enjoy it as a fantasy 4x.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I initially liked eador, but then I tried a harder difficulty and it was just a slog

I think unfortunately it's only really fun when it's on the easier settings. Which sucks, because you inevitably have this impossible tank of a hero who can cut swathes through the enemy by the time you're besieging their capital. It never really feels like you're in much danger of losing.

But on hard, you wind up being cut to the bone on the first like, stacks of 10 peasants and you can't build anything for the first 30 turns because you have no income, and then they have income and you wind up fighting a losing battle as their heroes cut deeper and deeper into your territory while growing stronger and yours just sort of ineffectively hold ground.

It is really hard to hit the ideal difficulty balance for this sort of long-term strategic combat sort of a game.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

I don't have youtube access at the moment, so could you please elaborate?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I did it! I beat Amnesia! I didn't have a heart attack and die in my computer chair! Best of all, now I can watch the @CorriganX LetsPlay video and not be concerned about spoilers.

In all seriousness, it was a great game. Yes, it was freaky but the majority of the terror was atmospheric and story driven. The monster parts were a little spooky, but as the story unraveled and more of what was actually going on became apparent, that is what disturbed me more than anything. Absolutely phenomenal experience.

Having said all that, I think I'll cleanse my palette with a little Faerie Solitaire.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

The LP'er is just playing the game and walks through a seemingly non-important doorway. The scene just cuts to a black screen with white text gives a little bit of plot and says "you've reached the end of the game. click anywhere to return to the main menu." So the game basically just leaves off in the middle with no climax.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

It's apparently a lot of fun but quite short with an abrupt non-ending.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular

At the end of the game, you open a normal looking door and it gives you white exposition text on a black background as the ending then it goes to the main menu.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    We have winners! Check your PMs! And I hope you enjoy!

signature.png
    Includes USA 1910 DLC board
    @Jeix!

Thanks a bunch @jclast! I've actually been thinking of picking up the physical board game of this and the pc version should be a good way to decide if my gaming group would enjoy it.

• Options
    I'm really sick and am sitting around my apartment in a blanket and I figured I'd check out Medal of Honor since I loved the first two on the PS1, and got the 2010 one in that EA Bundle.
    XgVnxsz.jpg

I guess this is a pretty common problem, and the fix is to edit an .ini to force the game to run in DX9 mode. gg EA.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

It's apparently a lot of fun but quite short with an abrupt non-ending.

I don't think it's SUPER short. I'm 5.3 hours in and probably 2/3 finished (based on spoiler-y text I've stumbled across listing what needs to be done). I think 6-8 hours is probably the range it'll hit for people who are not just bullrushing through it. I'd rather have 6-8 hours of really enjoyable gameplay than 20+ hours of filler and tripe.

I'll have something to say about the ending when I get there, but from everything I've read from people who have actually played it (not just watched an LP of the last 2 minutes) and from the devs - it ends fine. It just doesn't expand the story as far as the devs wanted to. That is, it ends THIS story but there's a bigger story they wanted to tell, which they laid the groundwork for in this one, and more "stuff" they wanted to include (like a teleportation ability that, unfortunately, does still show up in the tutorial but not in the actual game). But I'm still not there myself yet, so I'll report back when I finish. ;)

What I've played so far has been top notch and great fun. The only bug I've encountered (err, software bug, not alien bug) is that my sound and/or music occasionally just up and quits and I have to exit/restart the game to get it back. Nuisance, yes. Gamebreaking, no. I've no other complaints at all.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Regarding the abrupt "ending" of Dark Matter and other details (like some abilities shown in the tutorial not being present in the game), here are two post from the developers originally posted in the Steam forums:
    Viper:
    Hello, just to answer all these questions.

No, the full story is indeed not complete yet because originally we wanted a longer game (12-16 hours) but couldnt finish it completely due to time and money (and Kickstarter failing). So, we choose to go with a 6-8 hour game instead to bring something out to the world and show everyone the world of Dark Matter.

We are going to change the "to be continued" text to something else, to make sure this will be the end of the game as is in a clear msg to everyone.

What I meant is, with a successful Kickstarter we could have made a longer game, expanded the story. But then it would likely have been more expensive too. The current Dark Matter on Steam is a complete game in itself though.

There are many things to explore and many ways to go through and many things to discover. If people just run through it then yes it will be less then those 6 hours.
    Silverfell:
    The tutorial level shows the teleporter that's only found about 20 levels in the original game plan. The game currently ends with a 'to be continued'. The story of the Angels is incomplete. All of those we regret and apologize for.

We ran out of funds before completing the game we set out to make. Between letting the entirety of our work lie forever in digital limbo and seeing people play at leastr some of it, we chose the latter.

After the failed Kickstarter InterWave did not receive funding. We merely closed a distribution deal with Iceberg.

All the glitches you encounter (the teleporter we didn't have time to remove, the abrupt ending) are there because we doubled down to refine and polish what we had of the game. We could have worked on a final cinematic, and left bugs in. We could have redone the tutorial, instead of localizing the game.
    Those were not hard choices to make. You have in your hands 4 to 10 hours of gameplay (some testers took as long as 14 hours to complete this slice. They died a lot) that completes at least one of the story arcs of the game. This, we felt was a reasonable compromise on an eleventh hour that saw the dismissal of all but two InterWave employees.

If you feel that is an unreasonable compromise, you are always able to request a refund for a game you felt treated you unfairly.

There is absolutely no reason or call, however, to besmirch indie games in general (as I have seen done in this thread), or accusing us of money grabbing. The profits made from the sales of Dark Matter will go towards paying some of the debts we incurred making the game. There is no scenario in which we walk away from this with a profit.

Incomplete as Dark Matter's story may be, we think the game is enjoyable, and if you liked playing what was there, we are happy. Thank you for getting that far, we wish we could show you what we had in store next.

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Speaking of strategy games: anyone else have Warlock? And if so, do you know why it slows the rest of your programs to a crawl when alt-tabbed? I've been having a lot of fun with it but man it really makes things run like molasses.

I do have warlock and iirc its because its poorly optimized. It itself slows to a crawl after extended play

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    that really doesn't bother me but I've never been one to play for story

if it's a good game and gives you enough time... the only bummer would be if you're expecting a boss fight and it's not there. it ending that way in and of itself doesn't bug me.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I haven't been keeping up with the thread (SO MUCH TIME SPENT IN FFXIV) but just wanted to mention that for 17 hours more, GMG has Resident Evil: Revelations for 77% off, and you can stack the 20% off code with it. Its $12.50 without voucher, $10.00 if you use the 20% voucher.

GMG20-IWGQX-41IS1 is the voucher.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I haven't been keeping up with the thread (SO MUCH TIME SPENT IN FFXIV) but just wanted to mention that for 17 hours more, GMG has Resident Evil: Revelations for 77% off, and you can stack the 20% off code with it. Its $12.50 without voucher, $10.00 if you use the 20% voucher.

Does that mean its worth buying?

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »

Does that mean its worth buying?
    Revelations is the best RE game since 4, I would say it was worth it

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Just noticed this dogs of war free weekend. I do like the ideas of a mercenary group management game, but I've been let down before.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I'm looking at a blurry cake on my phone. I think I have mono.

What am I missing here?

Oh man if you really think you have mono I'm so sorry man. I had mono years ago and thought I was dying for quite a few weeks. It was not great.

At least this video game hobby is rarely slowed by being sick! If I ever am, my wife goes out to work, and I pretend I'll stay in bed all day, but really I'll stay on the couch all day. I'm still resting!

I'd like to play games but I keep getting a headache staring at my monitor. Something to do with photosensitivity I guess.

Also I can't have my hands out from under my blanket or the chills start again. Which sucks cause I wanna play more Cook Serve Delicious and I can't use a controller for that.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    that really doesn't bother me but I've never been one to play for story

if it's a good game and gives you enough time... the only bummer would be if you're expecting a boss fight and it's not there. it ending that way in and of itself doesn't bug me.

I'm basically the opposite I think, I come to most games primarily for a story.

Seeing what the developer wrote definitely changes what looked like "here's a game that ends in blatant sequel bait" to "here's everything we were able to finish before we ran out of money", and definitely makes things slightly more sympathetic, but I can definitely see how a person could buy it and be unhappy/let down if they were expecting a full game experience and got a Sopranos style ending. The store page doesn't mention anything about the game not being finished, only that it has "14 levels".

I thought it looked interesting (mainly because it reminded me of 2D shooter/platformers like Jurassic Park or Alien 3 on the Genesis), but I hate getting plot blueballed. so I think I'll just wait and see if they can raise enough money through sales or future kickstarters to finish the thing first.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm....not hating dogs of war, but not enjoying it either. I've still got a pulse, so...
    Conflicted about DR:OTR, do I want to just bullshit around in story campaign now that I've crossed the threshold for ending C? Or do I shoot for S and come back for C and B? But that would mean sucking.....on purpose.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Slender: The Arrival is up in the store and available for purchase in a week.

October, you are killing me.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Slender: The Arrival is up in the store and available for purchase in a week.

October, you are killing me.

Nope.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.