As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, October 21, 2013 - Unicology

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited October 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I see Gabe went from weed to acid.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Is this the culmination to a year-long gabe-quest to make toon-gabes mouth as ridiculous as possible before the execs notice?
    The newspost better be good because I have no idea what's happening here.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Is this the culmination to a year-long gabe-quest to make toon-gabes mouth as ridiculous as possible before the execs notice?

magic

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    This comic hurts my eyes. :(

• Options
    chibi-totorochibi-totoro Registered User new member
    I ... I can't do this anymore.

When the art is this bad, it doesn't matter how good the writing is. This is a caricature of a comic.

It's been a great decade, but today's comic knocked PA off of my bookmarks toolbar.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think this comic looks fantastic! So, so great.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    No, there are clearly some problems here. The color's washed-out, like someone futzed with a TV's 'tint' function and didn't get it quite right. There's a total lack of background; maybe a little haze of red amongst solid gray. I think Mike put so much effort into making Gabe look ridiculous that corners got cut. I mean, goal achieved, I laughed, but artwise... The Tithe wrapped not even a month ago.

Humor, that's there and in the end that's what matters. But I know Mike's capable of better.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    He is looking more eccentric than usual, also the coloring is really weird, i guess there might be something about this in the news post soon, but i love all the crazy eccentric looks, i'm glad he's going crazy with his faces and mouths i enjoy it more but i am a webcomic artist and like to see how artistic comics can get

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    This is quite a swing for Gabe from the last comic.

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EdZEdZ Registered User new member
    edited October 2013
    I'm guessing Game hasn't read Equoid.

EdZ on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Gabe's fallen into a Jon-K-Hole!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    No, there are clearly some problems here.

Oh yeah, I forgot that opinions about things can be objectively right and wrong, so me liking this is actually incorrect.

Wait, no, my mistake, that would be a ridiculous stance to take!
    There's a total lack of background; maybe a little haze of red amongst solid gray. I think Mike put so much effort into making Gabe look ridiculous that corners got cut. I mean, goal achieved, I laughed, but artwise... The Tithe wrapped not even a month ago.

Most of the "two dudes talking in a room" comics have no backgrounds. Check out this one from a couple of days ago, or press the back button once and look at the one before it. The difference is that that comic has a solid color background, while this one is messing around with more mixed coloring. Clearly he's experimenting.

And I reiterate: I think it's awesome.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I quite enjoyed the art in this one.

Gabe is just so darn excited about Unicorns that he has lost all ability to control his body.

• Options
    TAFKAPTAFKAP Warrior-Jumper Registered User regular
    I too found it difficult to 'get' the artwork... until I compared insane Gabe with normal Tycho.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I assumed the pinkish/pastel is because the comic is awash in unicorn happiness radiating from Gabe.

Also every panel is a joke and it's wonderful.

When the art is this bad, it doesn't matter how good the writing is. This is a caricature of a comic.

It's been a great decade, but today's comic knocked PA off of my bookmarks toolbar.

Though blast. The vital chibi-totoro bookmark toolbar market has been lost.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i do like that Gabes body p much turned into a womans in the first panel

dem hips

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Calling bullshit. The whole point of a Unicorn is that there is only one.

I don't mind the lack of background at all, but I got this nagging feeling Mike himself decried them a while ago.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

If this is all it takes for your to 'quit' the comic then I'm calling bullshit on you reading the comic for a decade.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

wat

• Options
    OolongOolong Registered User regular

Gabe likes unicorns.

• Options
    VahirVahir Registered User new member
    Put me with people who don't like the new art style. Visual gags like this are funny once or twice, but when used this often and to this extent it's no longer funny, and simply distracting us from enjoying the joke. I suppose this is rather relative to the viewer, and no doubt there's people who are liking this trend, but it's not for me.

• Options
    blueinkblueink Registered User new member
    Hmn... I prefer calling it a 'glory' of unicorns, myself. Guess it comes from reading too much Bruce Coville while growing up.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So if you get gored by a unicorn, is that a glory hole?

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    I am sticking to my theory that it isn't a coincidence that the art began to deteriorate right around the weed comic. Gabe was in rehab while making Lookouts.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    I feel like Gabe is purposefully playing with the detractors of his art here by going nuts with it.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    So if you get gored by a unicorn, is that a glory hole?

Certainly a gory hole, I guess

Also, this comic is terrifying

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

...coming from an individual with a MLP avatar.

• Options
    lizbotlizbot Registered User regular
    The art suits the gag comic's content and tone. The art in The Tithe suits that content and tone.

fwp.png
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Damn... I don't care about unicorns but I knew this fact! Fuck you, Dotacinema Fails of the week series and your facts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoomnetoDoomneto Registered User regular
    The fact that Gabe's art is getting more and more ridiculous is hilarious. How much people hate it is absolutely delicious.

And I love it.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I love that tycho is drawn completely normally.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Tycho's uncaring attitude about unicorns is a little odd. Isn't he supposed to be the fantasy beast expert?

Like, the president called him once and said

"What do you know about Manticores?"

and he was all like

"Goddamn near everything."

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    w-what

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I see Gabe went from weed to acid.

I was going to say Novocaine.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    dat middle panel

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

You're thinking of the unicorn, the mythical ONE CORN, tastiest of all cobs, of which there is only one. Unicorns though? There's blessings of 'em.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I feel like this strip is the Andy Samberg part of James Franco's roast .... and maybe I'm just not getting it until a few more strips go by.

because it ended up being the best part, but when it started, I was all "what the hell?"

edit: and oh yeah, .... birthday comic! Love the writing!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

You're thinking of the unicorn, the mythical ONE CORN, tastiest of all cobs, of which there is only one. Unicorns though? There's blessings of 'em.

All glory to the Ever Maize.

• Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    I think Mike's been watching too many Rankin-Bass cartoons.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Tycho's uncaring attitude about unicorns is a little odd. Isn't he supposed to be the fantasy beast expert?

Like, the president called him once and said

"What do you know about Manticores?"

and he was all like

"Goddamn near everything."

Tycho knows pretty much everything about every beast in every Bestiary. Doesn't mean he loves them. Although he may have fetishes towards the more insectoid species.

If you have watched the Acquisitions Inc from PAX Prime 13 you can see it's pretty true to life. Mike is just crushed when it turns out the Unicorn already has a name, and it isn't Sparklemane.