Options

[Arkham Horror]Families torn apart. Literally. Turn 12.

191011121315»

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    The Whispers token kinda has me pinned down here, but as soon as it moves, I can make a run for the Graveyard (I have an Elder Sign). If any of you folks are in a position to soften the opposition there for me in the meantime, that'd be great.

No slider changes.

I'll stay at the Lodge and see what's going on in the Inner Sanctum.

Monterey Jack

Status
    Sanity 3
    Stamina 4

Attributes
    Speed 3
    Sneak 1
    Fight 2 (*+4 Physical)
    Will 3
    Lore 3 (*+1 Skill)
    Luck 3

Possessions
    1 Clue Token
    1 Gate Token
    Bullwhip (+1 Physical Combat checks, exhaust to re-roll 1 combat die)
    .38 Revolver (+3 Physical Combat checks)
    The King in Yellow (Spend 2 Movement & roll Lore (-2). Success: +4 Clues, -1 Sanity. Failure: No effect)
    Warding Statue (Discard after a failed Combat check to reduce monster damage to 0 stamina. Can also be used to cancel Ancient One’s attack for 1 round)
    Obsidian Statue (Discard to cancel all Stamina or Sanity loss from one source)
    Lore skill (+1 Lore checks, +1 die when spending Clues to add dice to Lore checks)
    Elder Sign
    Book of Anubis (When another investigator goes insane, unconscious or is devoured, gain 1 Stamina, 1 Sanity and any Clue tokens they had).
    [/quote]

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    @Iron Weasel

The whispers token isn't a monster (although sometimes it moves as one), so feel free to completely ignore it. It doesn't impede movement at all, it's just an event token. The only time it matters is if you're in the same street area during the Arkham Encounters phase.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sure, but the Dark Young at the Graveyard is going to tear me apart, and I can't sneak past it.

Shoulda gotten Blessed!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    I need to know whom to bless this round, guys.

Also, after Friday my access will be spotty for two weeks while I tour Bavaria. Feel free to put me on autopilot.

My intended actions are to bless someone next round as well, then on the following round go to the hospital and spend my $2 to get healed.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Bless IW this round.

• Options
    Done!

• Options
    In that case, I change my actions and instead take foolhardy risks.

No slider changes, but move to the Graveyard.

Start by fighting the Warlock.

Geth, roll 2d6t4 for Horror check

Geth, roll 6d6t4 for Combat Check

Horror check:
    2d6t4 0 [2d6t4=1, 3]
    Combat Check:
    6d6t4 3 [6d6t4=5, 1, 1, 3, 4, 5]

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Oops, I forgot to deduct dice for the Warlock's combat penalty.

Geth, roll 3d6t4 for Combat Check

Geth roll 1d6t4 for Clue, if necessary

Combat Check:
    3d6t4 2 [3d6t4=1, 6, 6]
    Clue, if necessary:
    1d6t4 0 [1d6t4=1]

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Ok, so the Warlock dies and I take his lunch money, gaining 2 Clues (Total 3).

I have Sanity 2 and Health 4 going against the Dark Young.

Bullwhip is still worth +1 (since Resistance halves-but-rounds-up), but the pistol's bonus drop to +2, for a total of 5. -1 For the monster means I have four dice.

But first!

Geth, roll 3d6 for Horror!

Horror!:
    3d6 9 [3d6=2, 6, 1]

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Oops.

Well, there's a six in there, so I pass. But the Dark Young is super scary so I lose 1 Sanity anyway!

Now we fight!

I'll just throw everything at him right away.

Geth, roll 4d6t4 for Combat

Geth roll 1d6t4 to exhaust whip for one re-roll

Geth, roll 3d6t4 for Clues

Combat:
    4d6t4 0 [4d6t4=3, 3, 2, 3]
    one re-roll:
    1d6t4 1 [1d6t4=6]
    Clues:
    3d6t4 2 [3d6t4=5, 6, 3]

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Wow, that was close.

So my initial attack missed altogether, but then I whipped it in the face for one and got two more hits with the Clues.

I fall through the Gate and end up God-knows-where with

Sanity 1
    Health 4
    1 Clue left

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    God speed.

• Options
    IW don't forget I have a reroll failed dice thingy. It's probably better to save that for while you're in another dimension or something, but still. I just hope you don't go crazypants on your journey.

• Options
    I had forgotten, thanks!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    @Void Slayer You still around?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    So Void Slayer hasn't been active since the 3rd apparently, anyone have something for Gloria to do?

• Options
    Safest play is to go pick up the clue at the Uninvited Isle, I think.

• Options
    Right, I ain't dead and neither is this game.

Encounters time.

Vincent Lee at the Asylum:
    The shrink is very comforting.
    @Assuran to feel comforted.

Joe Diamond in the woods:
    There's a gate here, would you like to close or seal it?
    @jdarksun to decide what to do with the gate.

Gloria Goldberg at the Unvisited Isle:
    You come upon a tree that has grown, cancer-like, around an ancient prayer plaque. Make a Fight (-2) check or exhaust the Wither spell, Shrivelling spell, or the Axe item to automatically pass. If you pass, draw Spells equal to your focus.
    @Void Slayer to become a lumberjack.

Mandy Thompson at the Church:
    You bestow your blessings upon the brave Sir Monterey.
    @OminousLozenge to decide what to expend blessing Monty.

Darrell Simmons at the Curiositie Shoppe:
    Oliver lays out an Enchanted Knife, a Pallid Mask, and some Holy Water. You don't ask where he got this set.
    @Farangu to buy something.

Other World Encounters:

Monterey Jack in Another Dimension, Area 1:
    The rope seems to extend upwards forever, but it's the only way out of the crevasse you find yourself in. Pass a Fight (-1) check to climb it and return to Arkham. If you fail, you fall, losing 2 Stamina and staying here next turn.
    @Iron Weasel to exhaust himself climbing. You'll also be pleased to know you have a lot more than 1 clue token, unless I missed something somewhere. My records, both in the OP and Vassal, have you at 7.

Sorry for the delays, I'll try to pick up the pace. Also someone should roll for Void Slayer, as he still seems to be away from the forums.

• Options
    @Chrysis Ok, so I'm apparently pretty terrible at math. Does the Clue Calculation include the 2 that I burned getting to the gate? I'm only going to have 1 die for the upcoming challenge, so if we can just be absolutely sure how many clues I have that would be grand.

TIA to Mandy for the Blessing, since I'm going to need the help.

Also, if I Pass this challenge, can I then Seal the gate when I return to Arkham?

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    @Iron Weasel The 2 you burned cancel out the 2 you gained from murdering the warlock, so yeah, as far as I can tell you're at 7.

Unfortunately you won't be able to seal this turn, as closing and sealing normally takes place during Arkham Encounters which has already passed. If your encounter specifically said you could that would be a different story, but unfortunately it doesn't. Plus side is, as long as no one spends any gate trophies and no gates open, when you do seal it next turn you'll win the game.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Ok then, I must have failed to update my Clues at some point.

Jack looked at the rope dangling in front of him. It stretched, seemingly for miles, up into the impossible inky blackness above. And yet far away, beyond the view of mortal eyes, Jack knew there was a pinprick of light - Arkham.

He had an Elder Sign. He'd put together so many clues. He was on the verge of finally Understanding - not just what had happened to Dad, but ... everything. He wiped away a gob of thick blood that had begun to trickle from his nose, spat into his hands, gripped the heavy rope and began to climb.

Geth, roll 1d6t5 for Up Up Up We Go!
    Geth, roll 7d6t5 for All The Clues

edit: I didn't include the Blessing just in case, but it didn't really factor in here. Jack succeeds on the third Clue roll and returns to Arkham. Boy, are my arms tired!

Up Up Up We Go!:
    1d6t5 0 [1d6t5=2]
    All The Clues:
    7d6t5 3 [7d6t5=2, 3, 5, 6, 6, 1, 4]

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    I will continue to gain my sanity.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Buy the knife.

• Options
    I'll spend my gate token since apparently they aren't needed otherwise for this scenario... It's that correct?

• Options
    I'll spend my gate token since apparently they aren't needed otherwise for this scenario... It's that correct?

Not really. The players win if, within their combined inventory, there is one gate token per player and all the gates are closed. Assuming I haven't been screwing up the OP there are currently 4 tokens in people's inventories (soon to be 5) and two (soon to be one) open gate. So now that Monty is out of his Other World, and can close the gate next turn, that would be 6 tokens and no gates (A win) assuming nothing else changes. If you spend a gate trophy, there'll only be 5 in circulation and the game will continue. If another gate opens in the Mythos phase, then it won't matter because even with 6 trophies the open gate will keep you from winning.

So your best chance for a win in the immediate future is to hang on to the gate trophies and hope another gate doesn't open. If it doesn't, then Monty seals the gate with the Elder Sign, and you all win even though it drives him insane. If you spend a gate trophy then the game continues after Monty seals the gate whether a new one opens or not. Then you'd have to seal one more gate and go for the victory by sealing.

• Options
    Okay. Someone mentioned at some point that gate tokens don't do anything special in this particular scenario, which I thought was odd. I'll use my two remaining corpses, which are both Cthonians.

• Options
    Usually they don't, but this is the somewhat rare scenario where the players can get all the gates closed and have enough gate trophies. Usually it's almost impossible to get every gate closed at once.

• Options
    Fun Fact: Monty isn't going to go insane because he has a statue that he can use to prevent Sanity (or Health) loss from one source. So we're all going out for drinks (I hope)!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'll get the update done tonight, in the mean time how does Gloria fair at her new job as Lumberjack?

Geth roll 1d6t5 for Lumberjacking.

EDIT: So close. No spells for Gloria.

Lumberjacking:
    1d6t5 0 [1d6t5=4]

Chrysis on
  • Options
    The moment of truth. Next Mythos phase.

The card is:
    Mythos27.png

A Rumour! But too late to have any effect. No gate opens, and no monsters appear. Monterey Jack hangs out in the Graveyard for a turn and then pastes an Elder Sign all over the gate.

Investigators Win!

Good work everyone. Sorry it got so slow there at the end, these last couple of months have been kind of busy.

• Options
    Forgot to notify, although I suspect you'll notice anyway.

@Iron Weasel
    @jdarksun
    @Void Slayer
    @OminousLozenge
    @Farangu
    @Assuran

• Options
    And nobody even died!

Thanks for running, Chrysis!

• Options
    And nobody even died!

I'm just as disappointed as you. Our real world game last night ended with everyone getting devoured one by one by this asshole because no one could roll more than one dice against him. And everyone forgot about the gate limit.

• Options
    Woo! We're Number One! We're Number One!

Thanks for running this, Chrysis!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Thanks for running, I had fun even if I was less than useful!