Western [Chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I think military jump leads should be in all vehicles

mainly because I know how to use those and I don't know how to use normal ones

I don't know whose standard they were on, I presume NATO, but it could just be a norwegian one too. But NATO is all about standarization so probably NATO.

Wait, what the hell do your jumper cables look like?

by your do you mean the ones the military use?

also googling it of course it's a NATO standard, they're called "start cables with natoconnector" colloquially

duh

anyway, like this

51276930_l.jpg

those looks so much easier and safer to use than what us civilian mooks have to use, what with alligator clips and potential sparking.

I would have no idea how to use those.

you plug them into the sockets on the vehicles

done

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Fixing up a gitignore for foxpro is crazy. My boss has crazy amounts of erroneous files in his directories. So many .bak and txt files.

I'm glad he finally let me convince him into use a repository. Because he wants to work on his code in two places and wanted me to concoct some sort of huge system for him to copy/replace files.

Our main applicant tracking system is a mess. An unholy conglomeration of flat files and multiple databases. We keep vacillating between "this is too messy, we have to clean this up" and "this is too messy, cleaning it up is too big of a project."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2013
    Casual wrote: »
    the Indians seem to take rape pretty seriously as a culture

i don't think it's that they don't think it's a big deal, their police force is just a bit crap still

but they are modernizing

I had an Indian boss who referred to the Indian Government as a "Bribocracy" all the time. the level of corruption they have at all levels of government is so pervasive and accepted it's pretty ridiculous.

This is a pretty brilliant project. http://www.ipaidabribe.com/
    ipaidabribe.com is Janaagraha's unique initiative to tackle corruption by harnessing the collective energy of citizens. You can report on the nature, number, pattern, types, location, frequency and values of actual corrupt acts on this website. Your reports will, perhaps for the first time, provide a snapshot of bribes occurring across your city. We will use them to argue for improving governance systems and procedures, tightening law enforcement and regulation and thereby reduce the scope for corruption in obtaining services from the government. We invite you to register any recent or old bribes you have paid. Please tell us if you resisted a demand for a bribe, or did not have to pay a bribe, because of a new procedure or an honest official who helped you. We do not ask for your name or phone details, so feel free to report on the formats provided.

Echo on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    DAMN YOU HOTEL PAGE!

WORK!

WORK!!!!!!!!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Yeah, why do we all have to use fucking alligator clips?

Dammit, automobile manufacturers.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Fixing up a gitignore for foxpro is crazy. My boss has crazy amounts of erroneous files in his directories. So many .bak and txt files.

I'm glad he finally let me convince him into use a repository. Because he wants to work on his code in two places and wanted me to concoct some sort of huge system for him to copy/replace files.

Our main applicant tracking system is a mess. An unholy conglomeration of flat files and multiple databases. We keep vacillating between "this is too messy, we have to clean this up" and "this is too messy, cleaning it up is too big of a project."

You should see this thing.

It's an EHR system from 1992 that he made on the old non-visual foxpro when it was mac-only.

It's got about 8 gigs worth of historic data.

This thing literally kills the server when 20 people are using it at once. I'm in the process of moving it off into a .NET solution but doing that is practically a full time job. Plus I've got to certify it for meaningful use. I haven't had really any time because of the general office grunt work I need to do.

They are definitely not paying me enough to do this.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Game day theme this weekend is Chili.
    This is going to be the pootiest weekend of the year
    What the fuck Chrome, do not tell me that pootiest is not a word.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

because sparks are awesome?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The best part about clamp style jumper cables is the number of people who connect a healthy and a dead battery in parallel and start a fire. It's the sort of technology design that keeps nontechnical people in their place.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

the military standard is a lot of work for something that doesn't get used very often, but why car batteries couldn't just come with a socket to plug into, I dunno. Doesn't have to be accessible from where the driver sits or outside or anything.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    India's corruption levels, still lower than Russia and China.

Which is something.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    got my saturday and sunday

now for the rest of my day

Hi5

I got fri sat

VARIABLE ARE WE GOING TO BRO DOWN
    omg @desc for real?

for real we are

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

the military standard is a lot of work for something that doesn't get used very often, but why car batteries couldn't just come with a socket to plug into, I dunno. Doesn't have to be accessible from where the driver sits or outside or anything.

I've seen 12-volt jumper cables before that plug into cigarette lighters.

Never used them, but from what I've heard they just take a lot longer and only work if your battery isn't really fucked. Also, that's not exactly what the 12V sockets are for.

• Options
    The best part about clamp style jumper cables is the number of people who connect a healthy and a dead battery in parallel and start a fire. It's the sort of technology design that keeps nontechnical people in their place.

this is exactly why NATO has this standard designed the way it is, because fuck that

plug it into the dead vehicle first, maybe not jump start a car with a tank, that's all you need to know

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

haha for some reason i had never thought about the possibility that someone would short out two batteries together

come to think of it i'm surprised there aren't more car fires.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    zagdrob wrote: »

I've seen 12-volt jumper cables before that plug into cigarette lighters.

Never used them, but from what I've heard they just take a lot longer and only work if your battery isn't really fucked. Also, that's not exactly what the 12V sockets are for.

basically the same thing except 24V

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
  • Options

this is exactly why NATO has this standard designed the way it is, because fuck that

plug it into the dead vehicle first, maybe not jump start a car with a tank, that's all you need to know

Well fuck you too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    India's corruption levels, still lower than Russia and China.

Which is something.

China's system pretty much is just institutionalized corruption. If you looked at corruption and said 'I'm going to build a system around that' - you would probably have China.

At least in Russia they pretend to care about corruption...at least sometimes. Their system isn't pure corruption...they just don't bother to do anything about it.

And a lot of countries you can't accurately gauge the corruption because there is no dividing line between status quo and corruption.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

I really want to fly helicopters in this game.

But man fuck $60 for an army simulation game.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

For a short while, I was on a team attempting to design something to compete with the military contract version of what became Arma 3.

The government gave them a no compete. I was sad.

• Options
    The only time that Russia has ever seemed to care about corruption was that time that Putin and an Oligarch had a fight.

• Options
    The Razor's EdgeThe Razor's Edge Simple, but effective Ain't nothing fancyRegistered User regular
    I hate Somalia. I am quietly disdainful of Kenya and Ethiopia.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Ugh

Not even any cliffs

*spits*

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

Well fuck you too.

the rule of thumb for not frying the electrics was "preferably sort of the same size, and bigger starting smaller"

we did start cars with the m113s on occasion

the second thing isn't really a rule of thumb for avoiding damage just wasted effort because a car trying to jump start a tank would probably be as effective as prayer

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Which ended in a corrupt trial...

Soooo

• Options

I really want to fly helicopters in this game.

But man fuck $60 for an army simulation game.

It was $30 during the alpha stage.

• Options

I'd agree with you if the lower half of the picture was cut out

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    The Razor's EdgeThe Razor's Edge Simple, but effective Ain't nothing fancyRegistered User regular

I can't say I've ever seen that done. Does it work okay?

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

haha for some reason i had never thought about the possibility that someone would short out two batteries together

come to think of it i'm surprised there aren't more car fires.

When I was putting our trickle charger back on the GTO for the winter I accidentally shorted the battery with a box wrench. Big pop / spark, 'oh fuck', and melted the terminal a bit.

I don't know why, but I tend to be pretty careless with electricity. I usually won't even shut off 120 for a small job like changing a light switch / figure. Sure you get zapped once or twice, but it's not going to really hurt you.

• Options
    Also that Arma 3 pic was just on standard settings.

• Options

it worked fine, but I have no idea if it was really wise or whatnot

I was an M113 driver so I just thought well I don't see this ruining my vehicle at least, so fuck it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    is arma 3 fully released yet? or is it in a "you can buy in to the beta" stage?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    is arma 3 fully released yet? or is it in a "you can buy in to the beta" stage?

Sorta-fully released in that it's out of beta. Part one of the single player campaign out on the 31st.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    wqvjW48h.jpg

Hey!

Stop that!

• Options

I was an M113 driver

Oh. I'm sorry. My question should have been, are you okay?

• Options
    We have a 2 year old cat who tries to feed on our 13 year old male cat.

It's funny.

• Options
    He lets her, too.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I never understood the hate for itunes but!

I just had to download the newest itunes because the old one wouldn't work with my ipad any more I guess

so I did that and now it doesn't see the ipad or my iphone when I plug them in

how fucking dumb

program, your one job is to talk to these fucking devices

YOU HAD ONE JOB

This discussion has been closed.