As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wargame: European Escalation] 1st Free DLC for Airland Battle out now!

1101112131416»

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Bastable wrote: »
    Oh man, CZ are super viable now as a themed deck. They turned the albatros into a helo killer that also drops 500kg bombs.

Also east german Mig29s are monsters 130 points and only slightly less insane than the 170pt Su27 frigging bargain.

Also vyd in M-4t's so good, soo good.

Woah the vyd are elite infantry for 15 points you can drop in helicopters and the albatross only costs 60 points.

Lots of really strong units with this patch.

Edit: Or wait, are they elite infantry? So weird that there's no tag.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh my god, Coop for the campaign is in this DLC! I've been hoping for that since I preordered this game and bam, we got it! God I love the devs for this game. They're consistently awesome.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Oh man, CZ are super viable now as a themed deck. They turned the albatros into a helo killer that also drops 500kg bombs.

Also east german Mig29s are monsters 130 points and only slightly less insane than the 170pt Su27 frigging bargain.

Woah the vyd are elite infantry for 15 points you can drop in helicopters and the albatross only costs 60 points.

Vyd are assault infantry so 50% rof bonus and they have a CQC LMG meaning they can shoot it on the move and even when they're in the same building as a enemy infantry unit.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular

Vyd are assault infantry so 50% rof bonus and they have a CQC LMG meaning they can shoot it on the move and even when they're in the same building as a enemy infantry unit.

So they're amazing assault infantry, like panzergrenadiers except they have access to choppers. Got it.

• Options

So they're amazing assault infantry, like panzergrenadiers except they have access to choppers. Got it.

Oh the effectiveness of even the bomber only Albatrosses was so good that it was tenuously referred to as Albatrolling. Good cheap HE bombers: CZ are the tactical bombing PACT masters.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Was chatting to Sandy about my love for cheap USSR tank rushes.

He then provided evidence that he was a war criminal:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/htgvjgc1b134c6d

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I saw a post of the Eugen forums where one F-111 got 40+ PACT tanks in one run.

Was that him?

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    New patch dropped yesterday, lots of changes to various plane loadouts

British Jaguar got its bombs swapped for atgms

French Mirage 3 now has napalm

Lower-tier polish nape bombers now have iron bombs instead, Sov Yaks get napalm

Canadian Freedom Fighters get 6 sidewinders

Bunch of other stuff, German Roland got nerfed

• Options
    Best change is the return of Tank Atgm rof matching the gun rof. So now T64's and T80s with their atgm 10rof are more attractive than the now 7rof T72/55 atgm or 6rof T62 atgms.

• Options
    Games com War game red Dragon announced
    http://playnation.eu/news/view/en/gamescom-2013-wargame-red-dragon

North and south Korea added, Japan added (sold) China added
    Boats added.

Thank god they did not go for the new crappy real US doctrine name Air,land, sea battle.

• Options
    I thought it was just AirSea Battle

frankly given the U.S. military's love of abbreviations we should be glad it wasn't AIRLANDOVERCONFRAWARFIGHTBATTLEDOCFULLSPEC

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    New game sounds neat. I hope the campaign mirrors the Total War series more. I skipped AirLand Battle but I might pick this one up.

• Options
    I thought it was just AirSea Battle

frankly given the U.S. military's love of abbreviations we should be glad it wasn't AIRLANDOVERCONFRAWARFIGHTBATTLEDOCFULLSPEC

US military really needs to spend some time in Iain M Banks worlds to get a handle on giving proper names to things and doctrines.

• Options
    ANZACs confirmed as the 5th faction (with China, DPRK, ROK and Japan)

Eugen also confirms that all the ALB nations will be available in multiplayer, although not all will appear in the solo campaign

The ones that don't appear in the solo campaign won't get their rosters updated to the new 1991 timeline, although it isn't clear which countries that means. It seems obvious enough that Sweden/Denmark/Norway and the PACT minors aren't going to be showing up on a Pacific map, but Britain/Germany/Canada could. (Russia and the US certainly are, and France seems confirmed already) So basically of the ~400 new units don't hold your breath for any Polish or Danish ones, I guess.

• Options
    I'm surprised that they presumably are going with a Russia and China are good buddies again like the 50s.
    As opposed to how they;re barely tolerable neighbours after the destalinzation thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxIxX7mnsso

• Options
    not necessarily, the post also indicated that one of the campaigns might be a Sino-Soviet conflict on the Ussuri River

although for multi purposes I assume if anything they'd stick China and the DPRK on PACT (unless they rework the team-faction system substantially)

• Options
    Will try China
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ_FlMJYmfg&list=PL3C7A7DCB0987FF07&index=17
    And the Anzacs, but will probably main Japan and Soviets/CZ.

Last tank NZ armoured corp had was the Centurion which would have been fine even in a 70s setting, so the NZ side of ANZAC is going to have to rely on Aussie Leo1's and M1A2s. problem is I bet the ANAZC's units will have all aussie barks which will be jarring for me. Same problems for Slovaks playing the CZ side one presumes.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    I'm surprised that they presumably are going with a Russia and China are good buddies again like the 50s.
    As opposed to how they;re barely tolerable neighbours after the destalinzation thing

Enemy of my enemy?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    DarkMecha wrote: »

I thought they limited number of players to specific map sizes because of all the silly "unbalanced" arguments when playing a 1 v 1 map with 8 players. Surprise fighting a map with 3000 starting points to buy armies in a 1 v1 changes massively when fighting over the same tiny map with 8 players and 12000 points worth of units charging down a highway/artillery spam.

Bastable on

• Options
    Terrain will play a part, with the rocky hills and uneven terrain making it difficult for units to fire over relatively low obstructions, meaning players will have to be very map-aware

Jeez, like I didn't have enough problems with AA and tree lines already, thanks Eugen.

Looking forwards to boats, I am sure they will become my new Valkyrie squad to bring out when I'm winning in order to flaunt my points advantage.

By that I mean make it harder for Bastables to win as my fleet gets sunk by a single infantry squad somehow.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Terrain will play a part, with the rocky hills and uneven terrain making it difficult for units to fire over relatively low obstructions, meaning players will have to be very map-aware

Jeez, like I didn't have enough problems with AA and tree lines already, thanks Eugen.

Looking forwards to boats, I am sure they will become my new Valkyrie squad to bring out when I'm winning in order to flaunt my points advantage.

By that I mean make it harder for Bastables to win as my fleet gets sunk by a single infantry squad somehow.

With the changes in theatre and sides I think, they hope to make their small dent in the markets of China and ROK/Japan much larger.
    Pacific means boats.

All much more cunning than if I'd been in charge, as I would have gone back in time to cold war Africa and forced every one to fight the Angola/Sth Africa border wars and the Somalia Ethiopian war. Which i'm sure would have a less appeal than 80s EE to the market.

I'm good lifting you in alb, you lift me in payday brah.

Bastable on

• Options
    I wonder if Taiwan wasn't included so that they could market it to China

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

With the changes in theatre and sides I think, they hope to make their small dent in the markets of China and ROK/Japan much larger.
    Pacific means boats.

All much more cunning than if I'd been in charge, as I would have gone back in time to cold war Africa and forced every one to fight the Angola/Sth Africa border wars and the Somalia Ethiopian war. Which i'm sure would have a less appeal than 80s EE to the market.

I can lift y'all in both :p

Is @Bastables not thrilled about ANZAC?

I am excited to see the AMX-56 in game. Bast, maybe we should try being NATO for a while? I'd like to give a french-themed deck a shot...

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Please, you may carry me.

But lets me honest.

The matches would be much duller stomps without the glory of the no AA tank charge.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Please, you may carry me.

But lets me honest.

The matches would be much duller stomps without the glory of the no AA tank charge.

The thing is, just because you don't have AA doesn't mean they know you don't have AA. Bluffing is a totally legit strategy.

In any event, one of the problems of playing with @Bastables is that I get forgetful about AA because of his Flankers' loving embrace. We don't need AA, really.

Unrelatedly, Best Germany needs more trabis:

http://wargame-series.wikia.com/wiki/Trabant

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Besides, NATO always have fancy planes and AA.

They never bring enough anti tank to deal with BV rushes.

• Options

almost certainly

• Options
    Current French tanks in ALB are poop.

Damn croissant eaters can't make a good tank to save their lives!

I also look forward to seeing Norway and Japan blitz North Korea and the Czechs

• Options
    New game sounds neat. I hope the campaign mirrors the Total War series more. I skipped AirLand Battle but I might pick this one up.

Did you play Wargame:EE, @OpposingFarce?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    gotta stress how much I love Eugen's inclusion of relatively obscure national militaries

In normal WW2 RTSes we have to count ourselves lucky just to see the British as a faction, but then RUSE comes along with France and Italy as fully-fleshed-out sides

Did anyone ever dare dream to command a Swedish Army in a triple-A strategy game???

• Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular

almost certainly

Nah, they will sell more copies in Taiwan than in the Mainland, whether there is a Taiwan military or not. Most pc gamers in China play pirated games, because frankly $40-50 is quite expensive here. In non-mainland China (Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan) the average salaries are higher and they can more easily afford it. Besides, they have not localized any of the previous games to Chinese, and they are not really that well known. Still, maybe they are planning some kind of free-to-play version for Asia.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    kaliyama wrote: »

Pacific means boats.

I can lift y'all in both :p

Is @Bastables not thrilled about ANZAC?

I am excited to see the AMX-56 in game. Bast, maybe we should try being NATO for a while? I'd like to give a french-themed deck a shot...
    I was in the Anzac's in rl, it's not exactly a mechanised/armoured corp. Since the Vietnam war we've focused on light infantry doctrine, training ect. The armoured corp was reduced to operating the wagons (M113)'s where sqns would support infantry coy's and the sub optimal Scorpions after the Centurions wasted away.

This is not a good force for fighting 90's industrialised war in east asia. And war-game is not about infantry tactics. So no I'm going to be disappointed as i actuly was in the NZ army during the 90s and at the turn of the century.

Nippon, Soviet/cz for me during the time of the Dragon I think. if they reflect a real NZ army to& e we'll be a even weaker version of canada for the type of "war" Wargame models.

Aussies should be alright as they operate Leo 1s and them M1's.

You can go french I'll play Beast Germany

Bastable on

• Options
    frankly LOL if you don't main the invincible Korean People's Army

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZWvkcVC_9E

• Options
    I wanna tell you guys how much I love the Sk60B

SjlHQug.jpg

they're basically 40pt Nighthawks

• Options
    DLC 2 units outlined