As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] Polt, a real American hero, keeps the foreigner hope alive!

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    thanks guys. my schedule is pretty erratic in the short-term (wedding at the end of the month) but i'll probably hit you guys up to organize something. usually i am on between 18:00-20:00 EST (-5 gmt) hanging out in the PA channel.

• Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    I wish more terrans would get a raven in tvz. Get raven, clear creep and use the frickin HSM.

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    thanks guys. my schedule is pretty erratic in the short-term (wedding at the end of the month) but i'll probably hit you guys up to organize something. usually i am on between 18:00-20:00 EST (-5 gmt) hanging out in the PA channel.

I can organise something around that period during the week for sure.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Yilias on
    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    It's kinda funny since TL derped pretty hard about Naniwa's bounty; they acting like somehow this corrupts the process when it's literally no different than any other match with a prize; the only difference is that it's for anyone who beats Revival. Pretty much any complaint is also true of any tourney with cash on the line, so I think it's okay.

If he actually pays out if some were to beat Revival, I'd have to give him mad props since he's not required to or anything.

• Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    It would only corrupt the process if a player was paying other players to lose. Revival is going to be playing his hardest, this is just incentive for his opponents to do the same

• Options

I'm good at that time every day except monday and thursdays

• Options
    I find it hilarious and awesome, but Naniwa is easily the most polarizing figure in the community.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    He is(of actual pros anyways), but SC2 needs some bad boys just for some drama. I know some people don't like it, but it gets people talking, gets people pumped, and creates stories. Every game with Revivial now has a storyline that casters can actually talk about; it's something simple and easy to understand even for something someone who's never heard of WCS can understand. A player has a bounty that he'll pay anyone who beats Revival in Challenger. Trying to explain that Naniwa needs Revival to lose so that Revival doesn't get enough points to face him isn't as easy to explain(since you need to know and understand the WCS system) or as visceral IMO.

The narrative with Revival and Naniwa is far more compelling now, because now there's just a hint of personal-ness attached.

And Revival is taking it like a champ:

Naniwa is too cheap it seems, lol

SomeWarlock on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    i wonder how this would be taken in comparison if it were done in a high profile sport such as tennis

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's a problem in any sport? Especially for a relatively small sum like 500$. It's not like Revival is going to collude to throw his game for that little.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I feel like he's been much more laid back and as it happens a better player for the last few tournaments he's been at.

edit - do we know he's actually serious? I assumed he was just making a joke

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I don't see as any kind of match fixing issue.

If Revival wins he gets 5k for making Blizzcon, so he's not going to throw to split 500. If Revival's opponent wins, that guy gets an extra 500, so he has motivation that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Everyone involved is best off trying to win.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the chances are good that Revival's opponent will be playing only for pride by the time they get to Revival. It's in Naniwa's best interest to find a way to motivate that person, and this will do nicely. It also achieves a fun side effect of bumping up Naniwa's publicity, it benefits WCS because there's an awesome story of the only foreigner who could be in the tournament, and it also is good for Revival, because it also gives him a ton of publicity.

Nobody loses with a small amount like this. If Nani offered 50k, that would be another story, but the amount he offered is only a tenth of the prize Revival stands to gain if he wins.

Also, I bought the Type Cover for my Surface Pro, which is an actual mechanical keyboard instead of the crappy felt touch cover that came with it. It's actually a fantastic thing to type on. Certainly better than any membrane keyboard I've used, even if not quite as good as my Steelseries at home.

• Options
    the only possible bad outcome would be if revival were possibly able to get into a position somehow through other players results that losing and splitting that 5 is better. obviously i dont know enough about wcs here

• Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I feel like he's been much more laid back and as it happens a better player for the last few tournaments he's been at.

Were this done in print in the United States, offering a reward for service (i.e. find my lost dog) is a binding contract and can't be taken back "because it was a joke." No idea how it works on the internets.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options

Honestly, if he pulls back and plays a never mind lol the backlash from that would be crazy

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Fuck this giant cup bullshit. I want an eSports Championship belt!

Throw a mouse and keyboard on it (attention sponsors!), gold that shit up, and slap an "E-Sports Championship" moniker on it. When players beat the champ at events they get the belt.

Hopefully this will lead to backstage wrestling style promos from the players and maybe....
    jcchairshot_crop_340x234.jpg?1269209133

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tugga wrote: »

Honestly, if he pulls back and plays a never mind lol the backlash from that would be crazy

I don't know the context, what he may have tweeted before and after, but that tweet posted in here by itself is something I'd think was a joke

granted yes, I'm sure plenty of people would be upset. probably a lot of the same people who are already upset he said anything.

Variable on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    People trying to make the naniwa thing into a controversy are being hella silly. It's just 500$ and he posted it openly, nothing shady going on. Just a bit more incentive for whoever comes up against him.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    @tugga @dhalphir I should be on around between 1800-1830 today just laddering if you guys have time. If not it's no big deal ill just be laddering

Semi related to starcraft another warcraft mod has appeared on team liquid. This time with 2 playable races (horde and alliance). It is based a lot on wow, haven't really looked into it much, just saw it this
    morning

Edit: shall does that mean you've tried crafting stars with the surface? I have been debating loading sc on mine

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    People trying to make the naniwa thing into a controversy are being hella silly. It's just 500$ and he posted it openly, nothing shady going on. Just a bit more incentive for whoever comes up against him.

obviously, but what else is there to talk about atm, trophy size? dont be silly!

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »

obviously, but what else is there to talk about atm, trophy size? dont be silly!

How good dear is!

(his games against soulkey were so good)

• Options
    I saw this map in the TLMC thread and thought it was gorgeous. It's called Habitation Station.

llU15fF.jpg

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    So guys, I missed like, the last 2 weeks of Starcraft.

Who the hell is Dear?

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Someone who just completely owns Zerg players

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    He's also very nearly immune to Maru's...

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Thats a really good map

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I don't know about that map... it screams long stalemate games.

Too many easily defendable bases for both sides.

Like that other mirror map from a season or two ago, except this one has like an extra 1-2 bases per side, and golds too?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    it felt more open to me, maybe I'm seeing it wrong

• Options
    Wanted to say thanks to dhal and tugga. Help was greatly appreciated.

• Options
    yeah we are pretty great

• Options
    MMMig wrote: »

Like that other mirror map from a season or two ago, except this one has like an extra 1-2 bases per side, and golds too?

We could find out if that is true or not, but that would require people here to actually play StarCraft.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I don't see that map surviving long in the map pool. It'd be fine for T and Z map I think, but that 3rd just seem awful for a Protoss. There's tons of area to cover, and Protoss' early game is at least partly dictated by forcefield. There's tons of dead space it looks like too, so Mutas or Drops will just crush P I think.

It's a map where P two base all-ins every game I think.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

We could find out if that is true or not, but that would require people here to actually play StarCraft.

People actually play Starcraft?

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Queue pic of batman backhanding robin

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

People actually play Starcraft?

You best be capitalizing that "C" son! Don't make me get the belt!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    I don't see that map surviving long in the map pool. It'd be fine for T and Z map I think, but that 3rd just seem awful for a Protoss. There's tons of area to cover, and Protoss' early game is at least partly dictated by forcefield. There's tons of dead space it looks like too, so Mutas or Drops will just crush P I think.

It's a map where P two base all-ins every game I think.

Isn't that every map, every game, or am I thinking of a different Protoss??

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    Hey now, Dear gets 3 bases up, no matter what Gretorp says.

This discussion has been closed.