As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me name my child...

2»

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Name your kid whatever you want to name it.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Leonore
    Leonora
    Elenore
    Cecilia
    Cecilie
    Marianne
    Mariana
    Catherine (alt spelling Katrin)
    Catherina (alt spelling Katerina or Katrina)
    Meg

Siska on
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    As someone with a slightly unusual (although not unique) name I would say unusual names are fine as long as they are easy to spell (this generally means short). I have never had any problems with my name because it is really really easy to spell so misspellings or "how do you spell that?" conversations don't happen. Names like Mona, Luna, Zoe or Lux probably wouldn't cause problems where names like Tamsyn (tamson, tamsun) and Raeko (rakeo, raiko) leave more room for error (as an example I had to copy and paste those last two from your post whereas I could just type the first list). Also I have read O'lillya several times and am still not confident how to pronounce it so I would avoid that one.

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    yeah the lawyer/supreme court justice test is kind of hilariously ethnic and gender normative. Also vaguely ageist.

Also a good solution to stuff like that on formal documents is to use the first initial followed by the middle and last name. So Raeko Sylvia Dewalt becomes R. Sylvia Dewalt, esquire (in the case of lawyers.) R. S. Dewalt, M.D., etc.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    As someone with a slightly unusual (although not unique) name I would say unusual names are fine as long as they are easy to spell (this generally means short). I have never had any problems with my name because it is really really easy to spell so misspellings or "how do you spell that?" conversations don't happen. Names like Mona, Luna, Zoe or Lux probably wouldn't cause problems where names like Tamsyn (tamson, tamsun) and Raeko (rakeo, raiko) leave more room for error (as an example I had to copy and paste those last two from your post whereas I could just type the first list). Also I have read O'lillya several times and am still not confident how to pronounce it so I would avoid that one.

re: length/ease of names, depends so much on the person if it'll irk them or not. I have a somewhat odd spelling of my name (mostly a silent 'gh' tucked in there) and when I found another girl who has the same name spelled the same way, we instantly became friends. Because people with my name and spelling are clearly awesome :D Half the time I don't care how it gets spelled (i.e. couriers) and the other half I spell it out (and often tuck in a joke about how long my name is, especially since I also have a longer last name unlike "Dewalt")

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    @ Zurg and Dispatch -- Thanks for being the first to actually indulge me. I love the way Sylvie-Eris rings, it almost sounds like one single long name and I like that (I'm assuming Eris is pronounces "Air-is"...) As for Sylvia Vivian-- I definitely like it okay. Alot of folks seem to be throwing out Vivian/Violet/etc... but I think if we went with a longer name for Vivi it would be Genevieve.

Air-iss (as in bliss), but yeah. Glad you like it. I'm pretty proud of it actually.

Also, my name is Jurg. But I think you just got caught in a "creative spelling" storm. :P

sig.gif
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    This thread made me think of this interesting segment. Can't remember if this anecdote was in that segment or not.

Obligatory XKCD.

Not sure I can help from your picks though. When I think of what to name a girl I think of family names that are all rather "normal" and conventionally spelled.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Big McLargeHuge

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    As someone with a rare spelling (even if technically correct in German, which was fun for like 5 seconds in German class) of a common name, please don't do that to your kids.

Every single goddamn person I interact with, their first reaction is "that's different!", to which all I can say is "yeah my parents found it in a book and it's just the German spelling of Aaron". There isn't a story or any real reason for it. The only nice thing is that it pretty much guarantees I can get an email address of just my name.

I have the only type of spelling for my last name I've ever seen (which I share with famous people), and people still screw it up. Never underestimate the ability of people to spell shit wrong.

• Options
    DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    In general, I think it's awesome that you're definitely open to more than just conventional names. But even though this has been said before, I'll chime in as well: You may like weird, but remember your child might not and they're the one who has to live with it. Nicknames are good. :)

That being said, my own first name is an accepted variant spelling (and it's the only variant.) I do remember always being disappointed as a kid because I could never get anything personalized because they never, ever had my name. Overall, though, I've liked the small difference and Sylvie strikes me as being similarly set apart. Different, but not outrageously so.

Suggestions (threw in a few Irish ones because I actually happen to be fond of them):

Zoe Alannah
    Rowan Genevieve
    Sylvie Elaine
    Selene Lux

Most of all, congratulations to you and your girlfriend!

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of boring and like boring names. Probably because I have a boring one myself (see to the left), and agree middle names are the place for creativity or family traditions.

I do like Delaney's above though.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Seraphine is a popular girl's name between my wife and I. It can be shortened to either Sara or Phina, and is a fairly old name with French roots that means angel or angelic.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2013
    People will 1) spell everything wrong and 2) if a spelling is ever important, they will go through letter by letter to make sure it's correct. Like I guess it was annoying having to always spell my name? But like, take a simple-as-fuck standard white boy name like Brian. You're still gonna have to spell that going to the doctor because if it happens to be spelled as Bryan they're going to have a hell of a time with the insurance.

Though on the other hand I had a rare spelling of a common name and people were always expecting one of the tweaks but not the other, which was kind of annoying. But also I don't think spending an extra three seconds every few weeks spelling the tweaks out was a huge burden. It's kinda overblown.

Edit: Though I did once end up in the back of a police car while they searched my sister's truck because the officers never bothered to ask how to spell my name so :rotate:

Shivahn on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Tamsin is perhaps more common in the Commonwealth, or at least, I've encountered it a fair bit in NZ and less often in the UK. Seems to have been a popular choice in the 1970s-80s.

Usually spelt as above.

Also, as someone with am odd spelling of a normal Anglo name, I can confirm it is a minor inconvenience. People are greatly amused by the idea but luckily it seemed to be a common thing for my friends parents too, choosing a normal name and adding/changing a letter.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    My name is Chris but I'll still occasionally get someone that says "How do you spell that?" or "K-h-r-i-s-s?" or something to that effect.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "Chris - how do you spell that?"

Correctly.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Random.

She was one of my favorite characters in Hitchhiker's Guide

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Seriously though, with the last name Dewalt, how can you not call her some thing like Radial Arm Saw or Heavy Duty Stud Nailer?

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I'll throw in one novel but not stupid (in my opinion) option that my friend and her partner did recently.
    They took each others mom's names and combined them.
    It was like Mary and Isabella or something and came up with Mariella.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I've always loved names like Ariana. Not sure why.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Seriously though, with the last name Dewalt, how can you not call her some thing like Radial Arm Saw or Heavy Duty Stud Nailer?

Well, naming your daughter Stud Nailer is likely to carry some consequences. Just saying.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Chiming in to vote for the "easy-to-spell first name, more interesting middle name" option. That way all the documents they (and, earlier on, you) will have to fill out will go smoothly, but if they want to switch to something more unusual they can still do that.

• Options
    kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    Impact Hammer Dewalt

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    "Mrs Heavy Duty Stud Nailer, can you please come to the front of the class?"

That had me laughing quite a bit.

But I will chime in with my opinion as well.. Don't get too creative. I've never met anyone (anecdotal sure) that has had an "odd" name because their parents did it on a whim who has enjoyed it.

They all tend to use their middle name if it's normal, or they randomly pick some normal nickname to use.

Something easy and unique is likely fine. Something just a bit different than standard, but still easy, also fine.

But if you make some overly complicated thing that sounds nothing like any other name... they are probably going to get teased about it a lot and dislike it eventually.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    The name should feel like it fits appropriately in the phrase: "Chief Justice of the Supreme Court; (name)".

Tamsyn... Raeko..... no

Also if you have a son you should name him Walt
    That means you can name her Learned Hand <last name>.

I am going to echo most of the sensible advice re: spellyng.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I am French Canadian so we named my daughter Zoë as you need the ë to make the name 2 syllables.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'd personally encourage you to settle on a short list and not a single name. When our daughter was born, we thought we knew exactly what we wanted to name her until the moment we saw her, and realized it was all wrong. We ended up with a name that was on our short list but we had thought firmly discarded. It just fit.

Meet your little girl first. Something might strike you.

EDIT: And seriously, unique names are not as cool as they sound. Go outside and shout the name Clementine or Lux or O'lillya at the top of your lungs ten times. Seriously, go and do it. Right now, I'll wait.

How'd that feel? You're gonna do that a lot, calling for your child.

Cog on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That is an excellent point. If you don't feel pretty good about shouting the name you pick at the top of your lungs you should probably reconsider.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    41LQg2i.jpg

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Geeze, why doesn't he just call her Roundtine?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Nothing wrong with the name Soda.

Maybe make it a middle name though.

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    My wife vetoed my suggestion for our son, Mageneto von CMPunk. So we compromised on Liam, which has turned out to be one of the most common baby names in recent years. That wasn't really our plan.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    My wife runs summer and holiday camps at a local youth center, and it's weird how spikes in name popularity narrow down to an individual year basis. Like one year there will be 5 Dylans in a rank and maybe 1 or 2 in the rank ahead or behind and another year there will be 6 Madisons in a rank with similar frequency changes in the rank ahead/behind. And of course there are off spellings like Dillon or Madyson. The weird thing for me is how are all these parents simultaneously influenced to pick a name. Granted it's not a perfect sample st being predominantly white and affluent.

Djeet on
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    My wife vetoed my suggestion for our son, Mageneto von CMPunk. So we compromised on Liam, which has turned out to be one of the most common baby names in recent years. That wasn't really our plan.
    You should have picked something more obscure. Like Raiden.

Siska on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I like your Sylvie story, and Lux is a fun name. Middle names are throw aways, and ideal for fun names. But the real test is can you yell it angrily:

SYL-VEE LUX! Just sounds annoyed.
    SYL-VEE-A LUX! Sounds more intimidating.

So that's my pick: Sylvia Lux, Sylvie for short.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    The name should feel like it fits appropriately in the phrase: "Chief Justice of the Supreme Court; (name)".

Tamsyn... Raeko..... no

Oh, you mean like President Barrack Obama?

The name should match the child, heritage, and personal preference of the parents. Nevermind people spelling it, because people are dumbasses. My wife's name is Rita (not an abbreviation) and people spell it wrong.

If you want something unique, load up the list of names from 2012 on the Social Security site and skip the top 50 or so. There's lots there

Also, having your actual name be your name is pretty helpful throughout one's life. In our grandparent's generation, it was common to have one name and then be called something entirely different for no reason, but nowadays we enter our official names into computers and they're used for everything. I had one classmate whose name was Charles but he went by Andy -- not a middle name -- and every class he had to correct the rollcall. Of course, I'm biased -- my name is just my name, and my wife's name is just her name.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    I get not wanting to name your child Jane or John but there are so many uncommon actual names that making up one seems unnecessary. I very rarely encounter someone with my name even though it's a perfectly normal name and everyone knows how to spell it. (and pronounce it.)

I mean, odds are that your kid isn't going to meet so many people that they'll be mad at their parents for not giving them the most unique name. There is so much history you can tap into for names that seeking outside of that just seems silly to me.

Also
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

• Options
    Jim SharkmagicJim Sharkmagic That's the Sharkmagic magic. England, UKRegistered User regular
    Jim Darkmagic.

No, but really, I'm agreeing with the "let your kid give themselves a nickname" thing. My real name is Cassandra but I always go by Cassie because Cassandra (despite being a common name) is kinda long and people took the piss for years because it was a "posh" name. Save the crazy names for pets and/or characters.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    I get not wanting to name your child Jane or John but there are so many uncommon actual names that making up one seems unnecessary.

What do you have against Jane? It could be a boy's name as you know.