As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - Extra Credits Season 6, Ep. 7: Games You Might Not Have Tried #5

13»

• Options
    Specter Von BarenSpecter Von Baren Registered User regular
    A rather unknown indie game I wish more people would talk about is Temporal. The game will really just mess with your head. The mechanic is that you use these pads in the game to go back a certain distance in time, now the thing is, this is used so you can do things in conjunction with your past self, but this not only involves things you'd expect like pushing a button or something but also using your past self as a platform, it requires so much thinking and foresight that I still have yet to finish it but man is it an interesting concept.

• Options
    ArxArx Registered User regular
    I agreed with most of what you said about Thomas was Alone, I found it more interesting from an art perspective than as an actual game.

It was _very_ easy.

None of the platforming was challenging at all, and the puzzles were all super obvious and didn't require much thought.

Also, though the presentation is excellent, there's never any real development of any of the characters. They just set the hook, and then don't really go anywhere.

• Options
    UndeadpoolUndeadpool Registered User regular
    Organ Trail.

Just when I think I'm sick to DEATH of zombies in popular media, something comes along that hooks me. Organ Trail takes that baaaaarely educational game from our childhood and recasts it as a tale of survival in a zombie apocalypse. You have to move your constantly-breaking station wagon filled with allies from one coast to the next, and since America let the nukes fall, leaving large swaths of the country an irradiated wasteland, you have to do it the long way. The combat is novel, the situations are increasingly grim, from bandits taking a member of your party hostage to dealing with an infected friend and everything in between. Starts off a cake-walk, but by the time I reached the West Coast, I was out of food, spare parts and I'd buried over half my team.

• Options
    mrred27mrred27 Registered User new member
    I'm always surprised I don't see "Altitude" by Nimbly games. It's basically a 2D aerial dogfight simulator (planes, not dogs, before someone gets unduly angry).

The straight-up combat segment is fun, but I think the 'ball' game type (like soccer, or more suitably, rugby) is SO addictive. Passing a small ball to other planes on your team or intercepting a pass to fly in for a goal amid missle fire is SO much fun. You have to balance gravity, thrust, walls and weapons ON TOP of all the tactics for a soccer (football) strategy.

I've sunk over a hundred hours into this game, and at $10 I think it's a bargain and a half.

The balance is good, the combinations of plane, weapon and aerial stunts like reverse thrusters add a very tactical, diverse, and overall fun game. I've always found a server to play on, but I truly wish this game had more fans. If one other person discovers the game, I'd think this will be worth mentioning.

BTW - Extra Credits crew, love you guys (& gals). These episodes are insightful and well done. I usually agree with points made, but even when I don't I respect your thought process and usually the balance you at least try for.

• Options
    RaphDSRaphDS Registered User regular
    Two words that probably got posted already (haven't checked): RIDICULOUS FISHING

• Options
    Zer0323Zer0323 Registered User new member
    i am not sure if this is as unheard of as i thought (day 9 played through it ) but have you guys heard of/played antichamber?

• Options
    nekoJadeynekoJadey Registered User new member
    I know it's quite old but a game I love and does stealth very well is a game called 'Monaco: What's yours is mine.' I think it started as/is an indie game.

• Options
    BerchieBerchie Registered User new member
    A game you guys should try is Unepic by Ninagamers.

• Options
    RaabeRaabe Registered User new member
    Thomas was Alone is pure love, Natural Selection is life...
    Dude, just awesome games summoned here, sadly, most of them aren't for PC =[
    Unfinished Swan, btw, is something I was expecting for a looooong time for 3D, I need to play this game!
    For my part, I should commend Proteus and Little Inferno, both games with an nonexistent objective but completely opposites as Proteus, with his 3D atari graphics, let you explore a beautiful world of experiences free of pression and judgement when Little Inferno forces you to face that Skinner Box keeping you looking to you fancy fireplace when making you wonder why we live to that at all...

• Options
    datdudedatdude Registered User new member
    ANITICHAMBER!!!

• Options
    padoylepadoyle Registered User regular
    I like the mention of The Unfinished Swan. The comparison to thatgamecompany's is spot on and, quite frankly, I only learned about the game because a girl in a class I had mentioned it.

Literally one person I know of that knows about that game. It's a shame, and I'm glad you guys brought attention to it.