Options

Charcuterie 101 - The Silence you hear is the meat deliciousifying...

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    As this is my first time seeing this thread, i have to question it immediately upon reading the OP.
    "Adding flavor to bacon" ??????????????

Bacon IS a flavor you uncultured rube!!!! :)

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    As this is my first time seeing this thread, i have to question it immediately upon reading the OP.

Just like 50 Shades of Grey there are 50 shades of deliciousness. :D

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013

Halfway through that sentence I assumed it was going in an unsettling direction. D:

Also, because of this thread I'm not contemplating how I can convince my wife that the bottom shelf of our fridge would be better used as a place to make corned beef. I'm not sure how that's going to go over.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Once she tastes it she will be okay with it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »

Halfway through that sentence I assumed it was going in an unsettling direction. D:

Also, because of this thread I'm not contemplating how I can convince my wife that the bottom shelf of our fridge would be better used as a place to make corned beef. I'm not sure how that's going to go over.

Succumb to the secrets of the Sausage.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    If you have extra/enough time, one of the steps a lot of recipes include for extra crispy skin is to pat your turkey dry and then let it sit completely uncovered in the fridge for 12-24 hours to let the surface moisture really dry up. I would think that would be a helpful step for frying, too, if you're worried about flareups

• Options
    PA DallasPA Dallas Registered User regular
    Mushroom Beef Stew

1 pound beef for stew, chopped into bite sized chunks.
    1 can (10 ¾ oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    2 cans (4 oz each) sliced mushrooms, drained
    1 package (about 1 oz) dry French Onion Soup/Dip mix

Combine all ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. Serve over rice or egg noodles

(Optional) – In the last 20 minutes, add 1 cup sour cream to the soup to make a nice imitation stroganoff.

I made this for dinner tonight and it was quite tasty. Thanks Great Cow.

I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's.
    And his hair was perfect.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Thankee kindly sir! I'm just finishing up writing up recipes for my smoked pulled pork and some delightful deep fried chicken bacon ranch balls that are always a hit at my super bowl parties. :D Should be showing up soon.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Thankee kindly sir! I'm just finishing up writing up recipes for my smoked pulled pork and some delightful deep fried chicken bacon ranch balls that are always a hit at my super bowl parties. :D Should be showing up soon.

These are dangerous words to put together. They sound delicious.

see317 on
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the smoked pulled pork too. Yum.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Pulling Pork – Wherein I learned to look beyond the innuendo opportunities and make damn fine Barbecue

7bc4a86c-4e02-4de7-9047-06e8785defc3.jpg
    If there was any meat creation that quintessentially symbolized barbecue, pulled pork would be it. It goes by so many different names, (pig pick, pulled pork, barbecue (in the Carolinas anyway) bbq butt to name a few) that covering them all would take up a post on their own.

Setting up a pork butt for pulled pork is actually quite simple. It, like many other recipes here, just takes some time and a passion for good eats.
    For starters, you’ll need your pork roast. I like to start with a 5lb pork butt/shoulder/picnic/cushion meat roast. You’ll notice that there are actually quite a variety of pork “roast cuts” out there. It can be pretty confusing, but honestly as long as they fall under one of the aforementioned ones, the results will more or less be the same. The shoulder roast tends to be a bit leaner than the butt and the “cushion” cuts are basically the meatier portions of the butt roast that have been trimmed off so they tend to be a bit leaner as well. Either way you really can't go wrong. Pulled pork is one of those "core" barbecue recipes that is so forgiving in it's execution, it really is a great "starter" recipe for anyone experimenting with "low and slow" cooking styles for the first time.

Basic Recipe:

1 5lb pork “Roast” (see above distinctions)
    3 Tblsp Kosher Salt
    2 Tsp Freshly Ground Black pepper
    Simply evenly coat the roast in the salt and pepper and the roast is ready to be cooked!
    You don’t have to stop there however. :) Pork responds very well to other seasonings beyond salt and pepper. Seasoned salt, garlic and herb blends, any paprika-centric spice blend works really well, especially if it’s going to be smoked. Pretty much any spice combination will work within reason, it’s all a matter of taste and that’s what makes Pulled pork both very easy and versatile as a barbecue dish.

Cooking the Pork

Ideally the best way to make pulled pork is by way of a hot smoker. There are certainly other methods, but I’ve found the best results come from smoking the roast over hickory or mesquite chips for at least 3-5 hours and then finishing it off by braising in a dutch oven or foil sealed roasting pan for another 3-4 hours.
    Here’s basically how I do it:
    After seasoning the roast, I place it in my smoker and hot smoke the roast at about 250 degrees for four hours. This develops a nice “bark”, or very thoroughly smoked sections of meat and skin that add a wonderful smoked character to the finished pork and pretty much only acquired through use of a smoker.
    Removing the meat from the smoker, I then place the pork inside a deep roasting pan or dish and add about a ¾ cup of water to the pan along with the pork. The pan is then sealed, either with a lid or tightly covered with Aluminum Foil. The pork is then braised at 250 degrees for another 3-4 hours or until the pork easily falls apart with a fork.

What if I don’t have a smoker?

As I mentioned earlier, if you don’t have access to a smoker, you can still make delicious slow cooked pork with a slow cooker or an oven. Essentially you’ll be skipping the smoking step and proceeding directly to the braising method. To counter the lack of smoking, you can make up for this by heating up a large pan and searing the sides of the roast (you may have to cut the roast into more manageable portions in order to fit them in your pan or dutch oven.) before placing it in the roasting pan/slow cooker pot. Once inside, simply add the ¾ cup of water to the roasting pan and seal it just like I mentioned earlier. You’ll have to braise the roast for the full 6-8 hours however, so do take that into account when using the slow cooker/oven method.

Saucing the Pork

The final step of any pulled pork recipe calls for the sauce! Just like naming pork, the sauce involved has as many varieties and “right” ways to do it as there are states in the USA. Tomato or Vinegar? Brown Sugar or Worcestshire sauce? With or without chilis? The list goes on. For me, I prefer the tangier vinegar-based varieties to the sweeter tomato based sauces. Regardless of which sauce you pick, the end result is always delicious. Pulled pork is a very forgiving recipe and if you’re not sure of how well your particular sauce will be received, you can simply serve it on the side and serve the pork “un-sauced” as it were and let folks mix and match what they like when assembling their sandwiches or platters!
    For a baseline sauce, I found the one from my Charcuterie book to be a very good representation of the tangier, vinegar sauce I prefer. Remember it’s up to you how you wish your pulled pork to be made! The name of the game is experimentation and ultimately it’ll be your tastebuds that dictate what sauce you like.

(Continued)

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    (Continued from above)

Carolina BBQ Sauce

½ cup/70 grams minced onion
    1 tablespoon/18 grams minced garlic
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    ½ Cup/125ml Cider Vinegar
    ½ cup/125ml Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon/4 grams Colmans dry Mustard
    2 tablespoons/26 grams dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons/16 grams paprika
    1 tablespoon/15 grams kosher salt
    1 teaspoon/3 grams cayenne pepper
    1 cup/250ml ketchup

In a medium saucepan, gently sauté the onion and garlic in the vegetable oil until soft.
    Add all the remaining ingredients except the ketchup and bring to a simmer.
    Once simmering then add the ketchup. Cook on medium to low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking on the bottom of the pot.

Remove from heat when done. This recipe should generously “sauce” about 5lbs of meat.

PICTURES of how it's done! - Because deliciousness is only one word, while photos are worth 1000 Deliciousnesseses....wait...erm...dammit....

10lbs of Pork Cushion Meat
    Unpacked, rinsed and separated.
    Spices I'm Using
    A trick a friend of mine taught me is using a light dollop of mustard! Yep you heard me right. A light rub of mustard prior to adding your spices creates a very nice crust on the outside of the pork when heavily smoked. It's really nice.
    All mustard'd and spiced up!
    Into the smoker they go!
    Mmmmmm smokey!
    Getting ready for braising!
    Water added and into the oven they go!
    Post Braise and ready for shredding
    Shredded and Ready for Saucing
    Sauced!
    Yum!

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Deep Fried Chicken Bacon Ranch Balls - /ohmyyyyyyyyy

Gaze upon my works ye hungry mortals....and drool....

These guys are the results of many trials and a love for Costco's chicken Bakes. If you've ever had one, you know about the joyous gooey deliciousness that pervades those amazing creations, and I wanted to replicate it in a more bite sized manner.

The result? These deep fried balls o' goodness. These things are always requested at pretty much every super bowl get-together that I'm invited to, and they will certainly impress anyone who is not bound by cholesterol restrictions. One of the awesome things about this recipe, besides the taste of the finished creation, is that the balls can be adjusted in size to suit the need. You can form smaller sized balls for appetizers or make larger ones and serve them as an entree over say a nice bed of lettuce or with a side of vegetables and rice. They're very VERY rich and will suit both setups quite nicely! So! Without further ado, lets get started!

Recipe:

5lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts Finely Chopped
    2lbs of Bacon minced
    1 1/2 cups Ranch Dressing of your choice
    2 Cups Shredded Parmesan Cheese
    3 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
    2 Tsp Finely Ground Black Pepper
    2 Tsp Dried Parsley
    (Optional) - 1/4 cup finely minced green onion
    4 cups of Panko Bread crumbs or Crushed Ruffles Potato chips or some combination of your choice.
    Oil for Frying

Take the minced bacon and fry until crispy and crumbled. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1150.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1151.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1152.jpg

Combine the Bacon and the rest of the ingredients except the Bread crumbs/Crushed potato chips in a large mixing bowl and ensure the ingredients are mixed well. Cover the bowl with saran wrap or foil and place inside your fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight so the ingredients settle.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1154.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1155.jpg

Remove the mixture from the fridge and prepare your crumb/chip mixture in a separate bowl/tray for dredging.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1156.jpg

Form the mixture into balls. You can adjust the size depending on the event (smaller for appetizers or larger for an entree) generally speaking this recipe should make about 40-50 golf ball sized balls or 20-30 Tennis Ball sized balls.
    Dredge the balls into the crumb/chip mixture until fully covered. Press the mixture together to ensure proper coverage and set aside on a tray or board.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1157.jpg

Once all the balls are formed, heat the oil in your fryer or pot to 375 degrees.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1162.jpg

Frying these guys are a bit trickey due to the high cheese content in them. They have a tendency to stick, even to a deep fryer basket. What I found works is to take a pair of metal tongs and gently lower the balls into the oil with the basket below them rather than lowering the basket itself. This generally reduces the tendency for them to stick.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1163.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1164.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1165.jpg

Fry the balls for about 4 minutes for the smaller ones and 6 minutes for the larger ones. Drain on Paper towels and serve.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1166.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1168.jpg

These go well with barbecue sauce and especially buffalo wing sauce like Frank's Red Hot.

And there you have it! Just in time for the upcoming super bowl and march madness!

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Goddamn.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PA DallasPA Dallas Registered User regular
    Great Cow, will you marry me?

I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's.
    And his hair was perfect.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PA Dallas wrote: »
    Great Cow, will you marry me?

Dawwww i'm sure you say that to all the cooking-inclined bovines out there.

• Options
    If they can smoke a pork butt like that, yes.

• Options
    If it's okay with @ceres I would love for you to do a smoking thread here in H&A or somewhere where it's on topic so I can learn the ins and outs before I grab one this summer.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Absolutely sir. I will get started on one post haste...with the Lady @ceres approval of course.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    He can include that stuff in this sticky. This is pretty much @thegreatcow's meat thread. He can post all the meat he wants.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Will do thank you kindly!

• Options
    Okay well then if you're okay with it cow,

I'm looking into snagging a propane smoker. I want something a bit more reliable than charcoal/wood from those bullet smokers, but something not electric smoker.

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20051311-2-Door-Propane-Smoker/dp/B004W4NDPY/

How do you think that'd hold up to pork butts and briskets?

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I've done full briskets and pork butts in a smoker about that size, though I did avoid really long briskets. One advantage of electric is you can't run out of fuel mid-smoke ... unless the power goes out.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah I have a stove-top kettle smoker but the flavor isn't really the same... which is why I'm avoiding the electric ones. My brother uses propane and his food is amazing.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I used to be charcoal-only until I had to use my dad's electric water smoker. Never went back, convenient and heat control is so easy (though I haven't used a propane smoker). The flavor comes from the smoke, not the fuel source (excepting charcoal or wood-burning which will impart flavor).

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I assumed the electric ones were the same as my kettle one, is that not the case? Edit: Though in retrospect I won't be able to use electric because there's no power where my apartment complex allows us to do it, I'd have to figure out a way to get power outside. So gas is probably the only way.

bowen on
  • Options
    Judging by the reviews, that's a pretty solid propane smoker. It seems like it has a few kinks though mainly forming a good seal and the chip tray needs swapping with something a bit more hearty but other than that, solid deal! Really propane smokers are a lot like charcoal smokers in that you just have to make sure to mind the temperatures and fuel (propane here) a bit more closely than an electric smoker. Propanes are good for really strong "hot" smoking, so anything like roasts, ribs, bacon and sausage will do awesome here. As long as you have a good space and ventilation for it, go for it! It looks solid! Plus if you ever decide to do Turkey frying like I talked about, you'll have a propane tank ready to go!

• Options
    That's settled for you then, but the gas and electric should work essentially the same way. You have a heat source (burner or essentially a hot plate) and you put your wood chips in a container above it. Ideally you'd have a way to get ashes out and chips in without opening the door.

• Options
    Yeah I was looking at the 30" one which has the two separate compartments compared to the 40" one.

I can probably snag some fire rope and seal up the door even, one of the reviews recommend that.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I assumed the electric ones were the same as my kettle one, is that not the case? Edit: Though in retrospect I won't be able to use electric because there's no power where my apartment complex allows us to do it, I'd have to figure out a way to get power outside. So gas is probably the only way.

Yeah that's the thing about the big electric smokers you REALLY have to be careful about. They pull A LOT of amps. My masterbuilt electric that I use
    http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389988193&sr=8-1&keywords=masterbuilt+electric+smoker

pulls nearly 8 amps by itself and required me to run a 12 gauge electric extension cord from my living room to my balcony (I live in a condo). If i'm running the smoker I pretty much can't run anything else my living room because it will trip the breaker otherwise. It's actually making me consider a propane smoker since I live so close to a gas station that stocks propane, and would decrease my electric bill as well.

• Options
    I should note that I do all my smoking between 175 and 225 F, so I am very biased to the temp control on electric. I hadn't realized they pulled so many amps though. Are there propane smokers with thermostats (temperature self-regulation)?

• Options
    Well the whole idea behind propane and gas cooking is you use the dial to control the temperature. So if your unit is reasonably well sealed once you know where to put it on the dial you should be able to keep it at your target temp.

I assume the regulator has at least markings on it so you know where you are on the fuel flow/flame size. It should work pretty similar! Just like a grill?

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Well the whole idea behind propane and gas cooking is you use the dial to control the temperature. So if your unit is reasonably well sealed once you know where to put it on the dial you should be able to keep it at your target temp.

I assume the regulator has at least markings on it so you know where you are on the fuel flow/flame size. It should work pretty similar! Just like a grill?

Yup! Just like a barbecue grill, any halfway decent propane smoker should have a temperature dial, but you'll probably want to also include a probe thermometer in the smoke box to keep an eye on temps or invest in a propane smoker that has one. Propane burning, being what it is, can fluctuate and it's a good idea to have a handle on the temp at all times.

• Options
    The problem I had with charcoal smoking is I basically had to futz with it every 20-30 minutes (be it adjusting the dampers, putting out flare ups, adding fuel, or adding chips) and after a few 10+ hour smokes I just didn't enjoy it much. I had some wireless thermometers (highly recommended) but the regular activity meant I couldn't run out to the store or such if I wanted to.

With the electric smoker I set the temp (it cycles on and off to maintain the correct heat) and swap out the ashes for new wood chips every 3 hours or so.

I was thinking with an open flame in a propane smoker there would still be some tendency for temperature rise unless there is some self-regulation (e.g. some ability for the flame to be banked or turned up linked to a thermostat).

• Options
    What thermometer do you guys recommend for smoking?

• Options
    There should be a vent at the top of the unit that lets the hot air out @djeet at least all the ones I look at have it.

• Options
  • Options
    The dual probe ones are real nice. You could do one in the meat and one in the cooking chamber (I did that for the X-mas prime rib at father-in-law's house cause the built-in oven thermostat/thermometer was ridiculously off).

• Options
    Thanks!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Deep Fried Chicken Bacon Ranch Balls - /ohmyyyyyyyyy

Gaze upon my works ye hungry mortals....and drool....

These guys are the results of many trials and a love for Costco's chicken Bakes. If you've ever had one, you know about the joyous gooey deliciousness that pervades those amazing creations, and I wanted to replicate it in a more bite sized manner.

The result? These deep fried balls o' goodness. These things are always requested at pretty much every super bowl get-together that I'm invited to, and they will certainly impress anyone who is not bound by cholesterol restrictions. One of the awesome things about this recipe, besides the taste of the finished creation, is that the balls can be adjusted in size to suit the need. You can form smaller sized balls for appetizers or make larger ones and serve them as an entree over say a nice bed of lettuce or with a side of vegetables and rice. They're very VERY rich and will suit both setups quite nicely! So! Without further ado, lets get started!

Recipe:

5lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts Finely Chopped
    2lbs of Bacon minced
    1 1/2 cups Ranch Dressing of your choice
    2 Cups Shredded Parmesan Cheese
    3 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
    2 Tsp Finely Ground Black Pepper
    2 Tsp Dried Parsley
    (Optional) - 1/4 cup finely minced green onion
    4 cups of Panko Bread crumbs or Crushed Ruffles Potato chips or some combination of your choice.
    Oil for Frying

Take the minced bacon and fry until crispy and crumbled. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1150.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1151.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1152.jpg

Combine the Bacon and the rest of the ingredients except the Bread crumbs/Crushed potato chips in a large mixing bowl and ensure the ingredients are mixed well. Cover the bowl with saran wrap or foil and place inside your fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight so the ingredients settle.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1154.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1155.jpg

Remove the mixture from the fridge and prepare your crumb/chip mixture in a separate bowl/tray for dredging.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1156.jpg

Form the mixture into balls. You can adjust the size depending on the event (smaller for appetizers or larger for an entree) generally speaking this recipe should make about 40-50 golf ball sized balls or 20-30 Tennis Ball sized balls.
    Dredge the balls into the crumb/chip mixture until fully covered. Press the mixture together to ensure proper coverage and set aside on a tray or board.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1157.jpg

Once all the balls are formed, heat the oil in your fryer or pot to 375 degrees.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1162.jpg

Frying these guys are a bit trickey due to the high cheese content in them. They have a tendency to stick, even to a deep fryer basket. What I found works is to take a pair of metal tongs and gently lower the balls into the oil with the basket below them rather than lowering the basket itself. This generally reduces the tendency for them to stick.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1163.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1164.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1165.jpg

Fry the balls for about 4 minutes for the smaller ones and 6 minutes for the larger ones. Drain on Paper towels and serve.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1166.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/thegreatcow/IMG_1168.jpg

These go well with barbecue sauce and especially buffalo wing sauce like Frank's Red Hot.

And there you have it! Just in time for the upcoming super bowl and march madness!
    Note to self:
    1: Purchase deep fryer
    2: Make chicken balls
    3: Die fat, happy and covered in chicken ball grease.

So, TheGreatCow, any tips for completing Step 1? What should one look for in a fryer for the home? Good brands to look at? Brands to avoid? Necessary and/or helpful accessories?