Options

[MTG] Temple of Abandon errata: Temple of Parties; Born of the Gods Prerelease Feb 1+2

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I really want to pick up an Elpseth. She's way outside my budget, but I really want to get to play with a Planeswalker and have done a lot of Lore reading, I dig her storyline.

Plus she'd work well in the token deck I want to build with Eidolon of a Countless Battles.

Maybe I'll get REAL lucky in a Sealed pool...

Having spent kind of a ridiculous amount of time looking at making token decks I really don't think Elspeth is worth it unless you're running Wayfaring Temple, Voice of Resurgence, and Eidolon. She's a real late drop and her anthem comes in even later, and you're going to want to close the game out before that if you can. I think you're better off with Archangel of Thune, who will both gain you life and vomit counters all over your army of tokens on turn 6, rather than getting you extra dudes and putting you over the top on turn 9.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So I think I'm actually going to buy this:

4x Eidolon of Countless Battles
    4x God-Favored General
    4x Precinct Captain
    4x Frontline Medic
    4x Hopeful Eidolon
    2x Archangel of Thune
    2x Brimaz, King of Oreskos

3x Path of Bravery
    3x Rootborn Defenses
    3x Angelic Accord
    2x Spear of Heliod
    2x Whip of Erebos

2x Nykthos
    4x Temple of Silence
    17x Plains

Brimaz - $50 (preorder)
    Archangel of Thune - $40
    Whip - $5 (already own one)
    Spear - $10

Everything Else: Dirt

Needs a sideboard, which should obviously include Revoke Existence and Celestial Flare. Not sure what else to take, really.

Yo dawg where your ethereal armors at? That list would be much more potent with a playset.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd say get your ridiculous ethereal armor/Countless Battle combos off right now

Shit's gonna be bonkers. I can't wait for the day I run into Mittens + Ethereal + Countless Battle

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    To those worried about rotation, many people were terrified that losing Innistrad would hurt the entire game because Falkenrath, Gravecrawler, Werewolves, etc. were all vital to existing strategies, but didn't the loss of Delver and Snapcaster and Thragtusk help keep Standard from becoming bogged down by the same decks over and over again?

We don't know what's coming in Huey/Dewey/Louie (well, I do, but still) and I think that there's no reason to panic about losing the incredible power of RTR block when there can be huge shakeups coming in M15 and the next block. Hell, there could be huge shakeups coming in JNX (is that the three-letter code for Journey?) that will bring about an entirely new meta.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    To those worried about rotation, many people were terrified that losing Innistrad would hurt the entire game because Falkenrath, Gravecrawler, Werewolves, etc. were all vital to existing strategies, but didn't the loss of Delver and Snapcaster and Thragtusk help keep Standard from becoming bogged down by the same decks over and over again?

We don't know what's coming in Huey/Dewey/Louie (well, I do, but still) and I think that there's no reason to panic about losing the incredible power of RTR block when there can be huge shakeups coming in M15 and the next block. Hell, there could be huge shakeups coming in JNX (is that the three-letter code for Journey?) that will bring about an entirely new meta.

What's funny is that RTR was considered disappointingly weak after Innistrad.

I'm really interested in seeing the power level of the next block. It's definitely been trending downwards from the Zen/Scars/Inn period. Innistrad/RTR Standard was dominated by Innistrad cards, but with Theros they managed to cleverly build a bunch of "payoff" cards that turned a bunch of less-exciting RTR cards into enablers. So while Theros on its own is not very powerful (see: the garbage that is the current Block format it still had a much heavier impact on Standard than the first set of RTR block did.

I feel like it's time for the power level to start climbing again, but I'm not sure how that would work with all the Theros enablers rotating out.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Who cares about standard, rotation means losing the only things that ever really mattered: Progenitor Mimic and Master Biomancer

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

What's funny is that RTR was considered disappointingly weak after Innistrad.

I'm really interested in seeing the power level of the next block. It's definitely been trending downwards from the Zen/Scars/Inn period. Innistrad/RTR Standard was dominated by Innistrad cards, but with Theros they managed to cleverly build a bunch of "payoff" cards that turned a bunch of less-exciting RTR cards into enablers. So while Theros on its own is not very powerful (see: the garbage that is the current Block format it still had a much heavier impact on Standard than the first set of RTR block did.

I feel like it's time for the power level to start climbing again, but I'm not sure how that would work with all the Theros enablers rotating out.

What will happen, as it always does, is that new cards from Huey will take otherwise-inconspicuous cards from Theros and turn them into big hits. I would wager that the multicolored gods will become much more useful with the loss of shocklands bringing people down from 3 colors and the loss of the hybrid cards weakening mono-color devotion decks.

If I were a betting man, I would put decent money on a blink subtheme or keyword ability in U/W come Huey. Ephara has such an odd ability choice that it's tingling my "this card is intended for next year" sense.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Man, post FNM after Scars rotated out was depressing. Everyone at the store I went to was shitting all over RtR and talking about how they were just going to fill in the stuff they lost from Scars block with more Innistrad stuff. There was like 1 guy who stuck some Sphinx Revs in his Bant Thragtusk deck.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Man, post FNM after Scars rotated out was depressing. Everyone at the store I went to was shitting all over RtR and talking about how they were just going to fill in the stuff they lost from Scars block with more Innistrad stuff. There was like 1 guy who stuck some Sphinx Revs in his Bant Thragtusk deck.

Goddamn Thragtusk.

Damn it to the darkest of all the hells.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I'm probably just going to duck out of magic for awhile after rotation unless the next set completely blows me away

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I'm probably just going to duck out of magic for awhile after rotation unless the next set completely blows me away

Duck out of Magic? I think you mean, "buy a Modern deck."

• Options
    but the objective is to spend less money

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    One of the nice things about being new to Magic is everything seems awesome. I've browsed some forums (MTGSalvation for example) and they are filled with complaints about how bad Theros/Born of the Gods is. How underpowered, etc.

But I don't get any of that! These cards seem awesome and I want to play with all of them!

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    So I think I'm actually going to buy this:

4x Eidolon of Countless Battles
    4x God-Favored General
    4x Precinct Captain
    4x Frontline Medic
    4x Hopeful Eidolon
    2x Archangel of Thune
    2x Brimaz, King of Oreskos

3x Path of Bravery
    3x Rootborn Defenses
    3x Angelic Accord
    2x Spear of Heliod
    2x Whip of Erebos

2x Nykthos
    4x Temple of Silence
    17x Plains

Brimaz - $50 (preorder)
    Archangel of Thune - $40
    Whip - $5 (already own one)
    Spear - $10

Everything Else: Dirt

Needs a sideboard, which should obviously include Revoke Existence and Celestial Flare. Not sure what else to take, really.

Yo dawg where your ethereal armors at? That list would be much more potent with a playset.

I'm not really sure where I could fit it in.

I should probably take it over Angelic Accord but goddamn I want Angeli Accord in a deck for some reason. It's not even a good card! The art isn't even super-catchy! Yet still I try to force it into every deck with white I make for some reason.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Angelic accord is just waiting to be exploited

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    The white devotion damage redirect instant is pretty pimp

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    The white devotion damage redirect instant is pretty pimp

one of my friends whose favorite card in the game was divine deflection is tempted to come back after a year off of it because the same effect is on that card

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    One of the nice things about being new to Magic is everything seems awesome. I've browsed some forums (MTGSalvation for example) and they are filled with complaints about how bad Theros/Born of the Gods is. How underpowered, etc.

But I don't get any of that! These cards seem awesome and I want to play with all of them!

To be fair a lot of players will act like every given set spoiled is terrible in every way for this reason or that.
    I mean I know I've had my fair share for this set but it does have *some* good things about it on the worst of days, even if I wish they had gone in different directions with some of the designs.

• Options
    I have no complaints about Theros. I think there's a ton of fun stuff in there!

my plan to take a magic hiatus is prompted entirely by financial reasons

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Good news, once RtR rotates out, maybe they'll reprint fetch lands!

Pfffffffffffffffffthahaha.

So ah

Why are you laughing at the idea of fetchlands being reprinted?

Its basically guaranteed.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Ok.

Are we speculating that Eidolon of Countless Battles will spike in price, stay the same, or drop. It's at $4 now, which seems reasonable for such a great rare.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It's gonna depend on if somebody with a name makes white wheenie work in the first couple weeks

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

So ah

I'll believe it when I see it, and not a second sooner.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

So ah

This is weirdly skeptical of a move they've already done before(with reprinting the Shocks), would increase the modern player pool(one of their current goals) and that Mark Rosewater has said many times in on the agenda.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Okay, here we go.

Perplexing Chimera + Elite Arcanist + Retraction Helix/Voyage's End + 6/7 mana = gain control of one of your opponent's spells every turn. It's not the most elegant, but it's monocolor and Standard-legal.

I wish a deck like this could actually be made competitive. I really miss ridiculous combo decks, and there hasn't been a good one in standard since Birthing Pod was legal.

• Options
    edited January 2014

So ah

This is weirdly skeptical of a move they've already done before(with reprinting the Shocks), would increase the modern player pool(one of their current goals) and that Mark Rosewater has said many times in on the agenda.

They also said they wanted to decrease the barrier to entry on modern when they were putting out Modern Masters, and look how that went.

I just don't see fetches being reprinted in mass quantities. Onslaught block fetches go from just below $100 to nearly $200 a piece (with the exception of Blood Mire, which is hanging out at $30 for some reason), Zendikar ones are sitting around $50, and for whatever reason, they don't want to piss off the secondary market so they have been super wary of reprinting anything that pricey.

While reprinting shocks was great they
    1. Were being reprinted in a block that was for all intents and purposes a sequel to the one they were originally printed in
    2. "Only" worth about $20 to $25 each, which is below that weird "don't want to piss off collectors" threshold.

So while I would love to be proven wrong, I don't see fetches coming back in a non-limited release.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Reprint no dual lands

basic lands and unique lands forever, dual land cycles never

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    On a side note, does anyone know why the hell B/R dual lands are always cheaper than the other ones in whatever cycle their in?

Bloodstained Mire is a full $30 less than next cheapest Onslaught fetch
    Graven Cairns is half the price of the other filter lands
    Dragonskull Summit was cheaper than the rest of that cycle till they rotated out of standard and cratered.
    And while I'm not 100% on this one, I'm pretty sure the Blood Crypt was cheaper than the other shocks before the reprint as well.

It's weird.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    B/R is a boring combination most of the time.

I mean, that might be why.

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular

they'll reprint enemy fetches some day i'm sure. i wonder if they'll reprint onslaught ones though cause they may not want them in modern?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    1. Were being reprinted in a block that was for all intents and purposes a sequel to the one they were originally printed in
    2. "Only" worth about $20 to $25 each, which is below that weird "don't want to piss off collectors" threshold.

So while I would love to be proven wrong, I don't see fetches coming back in a non-limited release.

We could get Return to Zendikar. And Hallowed Fountain was a $40 card before RTR was released. Modern Masters was a specialty product and the caution they used with that can't be used to predict the decisions they'll make for Standard-legal reprints.

admanb on
  • Options
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

they'll reprint enemy fetches some day i'm sure. i wonder if they'll reprint onslaught ones though cause they may not want them in modern?

Rosewater has specifically said they want to reprint the onslaughts because its weird they arnt in modern.

So ah

They also said they wanted to decrease the barrier to entry on modern when they were putting out Modern Masters, and look how that went.

I just don't see fetches being reprinted in mass quantities. Onslaught block fetches go from just below $100 to nearly $200 a piece (with the exception of Blood Mire, which is hanging out at $30 for some reason), Zendikar ones are sitting around $50, and for whatever reason, they don't want to piss off the secondary market so they have been super wary of reprinting anything that pricey.

The. Modern masters situation really isn't similar at all. But even so the MM set did exactly what they wanted to. Everything that wasn't goyf or bob fell pretty hard in price and even those put more goyfs and bobs in players hand and at least around here had a big effect on the modern and legacy player bases.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Mathematically, having Onslaught fetches in Modern would have almost no effect on the best existing three (or more) color manabases. It would only bring up color combinations that aren't as effective as the best ones.

• Options

Rosewater has specifically said they want to reprint the onslaughts because its weird they arnt in modern.

So ah

The. Modern masters situation really isn't similar at all. But even so the MM set did exactly what they wanted to. Everything that wasn't goyf or bob fell pretty hard in price and even those put more goyfs and bobs in players hand and at least around here had a big effect on the modern and legacy player bases.

I personally, never even saw a pack of MM, much less got a chance to buy any.

The two boxes the store near me got in were bought out by pre-order by the 8 or so modern players that frequent the place. So here, all MM accomplished was giving the people that were already into modern some more stuff to play modern with.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Opening Modern Masters packs to play Modern is a terrible idea. You open the packs to draft Modern Masters, then you sell the cards you don't need and the net total of those cards in the market increases.

If eight players bought all of the MM in your area and then hoarded it they have made a huge mistake.

admanb on
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Opening Modern Masters packs to play Modern is a terrible idea. You open the packs to draft Modern Masters, then you sell the cards you don't need and the net total of those cards in the market increases.

If eight players bought all of the MM in your area and then hoarded it they have made a huge mistake.

I mean, I don't know if they sold the stuff they didn't need or not. I imagine they did.

Point is, MM was so limited in my area that it might as well have been non-existent.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    stopped by the local shop to register for pre-release and grabbed some packs for funsies

stormbreath dragon
    fleecemane lion
    psychic intrusion
    swan song

now I remember why I stopped buying packs

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Wait, isn't stormbreath dragon cash? It's like, 20$ on SCG.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Stormbreath and Fleecemane are hardly bad pulls

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    stopped by the local shop to register for pre-release and grabbed some packs for funsies

stormbreath dragon
    fleecemane lion
    psychic intrusion
    swan song

now I remember why I stopped buying packs

I know why I stopped opening packs. Because I never freaking open Stormbreath Dragon.

This discussion has been closed.