As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] Will MS' VR headset let you watch yourself or others through Kinect?

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bbIBs0P2t0

Welcome to the video game industry thread, wherein we discuss atypical shit regarding video games like sales performances, layoffs, dev studio startups, and all that sorta stuff. On our last episode:
  • King makes ridiculous trademarks, people remember Tim Langdell
  • Rumor of Nintendo doing mobile apps were bullshit
  • Rumor of Microsoft making a non-Blu-Ray-drive Xbox One unit SHAKES THINGS UP
  • EA is doing financially well; two days later, closes up one of their offices
  • Microsoft bought Gears of War from Epic; big win for Epic!
Skull2185 wrote: »
In the game industry, when you sell 1 million copies, it's known as "disappointment".

There's some rules to follow. Try not to screw up.
  • This is about the business of making games. Do not get carried away into side topics like the state of gaming journalism, opinions on particular games, social issues in the industries, and so forth. Those topics are best reserved for other threads.
  • STAY ON TOPIC. People going off-topic will likely end up jailed.
  • No platforming fighting. The thread does not exist for people to represent their favored platform of gaming.
  • You do not get to determine what is appropriate for the thread. If you feel something is off-topic, then report it.
  • Do not post VGChartz. They are an unreliable source of data.
  • No click-bait shit like top ten lists or Kotaku articles unless it's sales figures.
  • REPORT PEOPLE VIOLATING THE RULES. Do not dogpile the person or get into a spat with them. Chances are you'll get infracted right alongside the offender.
  • The above does not mean reporting people that disagree with you or called out your bullshit with actual data.
  • Speaking of which, claims should be backed up with properly cited figures. Opinion is find, but don't make assertions without evidence and then rabidly defend them.
  • This thread is not an uptight business club. As long as you stay chill and don't meander off-topic, you can have a lot of fun discussing this dysfunctional industry.

Not a rule but a suggestion: If there's a piece of news that is absolutely colossal, it probably could use its own thread rather than be locked in here.

Henroid on

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Nintendo Doom talk is the life blood of this Thread dammit!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Here's the source of where we left off in the previous iteration of the thread:
    So, there's apparently some rumors coming out that Microsoft will release a $399 Xbox.

"Cool," you say "Finally I don't have to buy that kinect."

Hold on there, padre. There's nothing in the rumor about it not having kinect. It be the BLU-RAY drive that Microsoft is going to make walk the plank.

Personally, if that's accurate, I can't believe they won't just toss the Kinect as well and put out a $350 or $300 box at that point.

Oops, forgot the source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131811-Rumor-Titanfall-Limited-Edition-399-Disc-Free-Xbox-Ones-Coming-Soon?utm_reader=feedly

People are arguing that Blu-Ray isn't required for media centers, and others disagree.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Maybe...this is how Microsoft gets back on point with what they wanted all along? They made their peace, gave the naysayers what they wanted and now they're course correcting...back to where they were?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Maybe...this is how Microsoft gets back on point with what they wanted all along? They made their peace, gave the naysayers what they wanted and now they're course correcting...back to where they were?

Forcing people into an Always-Online product? We'd have to see what else gives with this if it's true. What changes to Live happen, etc.

• Options
    Well, more the always on, all digital and all that trade, selling talk that never panned out.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I cannot fathom the drama bomb that would happen if Microsoft decided to sneakily reintroduce their DRM.

It would implode the internet.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I cannot fathom the drama bomb that would happen if Microsoft decided to sneakily reintroduce their DRM.

No way they would do that, it would kill any brand trust that they have left. They would be down at Ea's level, lower if that's possible.

• Options

They would get away with it to some extent if it were on a new product. "Don't want our original consumer-hostile thing? Pay the extra $100."

This is me stoking a rumor on top of a rumor though so I should apologize for that.

• Options
    I mean, why the fuck not? Don't they already lose customer confidence by releasing a cheaper xbone within a year? I mean, I understand early adopters like a lot here tend to get screwed, but yearly revisions don't need to happen right off the gate. If you're going to dip into what little confidence the consumers have in you, might as well test the deep end while you're in there.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

They would get away with it to some extent if it were on a new product. "Don't want our original consumer-hostile thing? Pay the extra $100."

This is me stoking a rumor on top of a rumor though so I should apologize for that.

I guess my issue with this is that it's REALLY early for Microsoft to be thinking about a different SKU of XboxOne. Yeah, I can totally see Nintendo playing with the idea, because the WiiU is a serious dud right now in sales. XB1 sales are only looking really bad right now because people are comparing them with the PS4's, when in reality both are doing very well for a new hardware release. Sony's is just doing much better, and it's not in all the markets yet.

Plus after the debacle that was Don Mattrick's quote about 'Don't want always online? Well, we got the 360 for you then.', do they really want to try and throw something else out there for people to complain about? Can you see them going 'Don't like physical media? Well here's a completely digital XB1.' That beast would have to have a larger drive, and possibly one you can replace yourself. Imagine the shitstorm if Microsoft made that kind of radical changes so early into a console's life. People would go nuts, wanting qualities of both SKUs or complaining that they already bought the first SKU.

This isn't like PS3s and the BC removal, because there's a sizable demographic that likes physical media, and they're not the ones you want to shaft just to cut costs. It would be Microsoft's PSPGo.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

No way they would do that, it would kill any brand trust that they have left. They would be down at Ea's level, lower if that's possible.

Don't all the X1's still have the original DRM capability?
    they just disabled it right?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    zllehs wrote: »

Don't all the X1's still have the original DRM capability?
    they just disabled it right?

Yeah, but still having the capability is different from saying "we changed our minds and are not going to do this," proceeding to sell millions of consoles under that premise and then going "psych."

LostNinja on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=221453

WB has cancelled the rest of Arkham Origins DLC on the Wii U. Nintendo has refunded everyone who bought the season pass.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    So, there's apparently some rumors coming out that Microsoft will release a $399 Xbox.

Hold on there, padre. There's nothing in the rumor about it not having kinect. It be the BLU-RAY drive that Microsoft is going to make walk the plank.

Personally, if that's accurate, I can't believe they won't just toss the Kinect as well and put out a $350 or $300 box at that point.

Oops, forgot the source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131811-Rumor-Titanfall-Limited-Edition-399-Disc-Free-Xbox-Ones-Coming-Soon?utm_reader=feedly

People are arguing that Blu-Ray isn't required for media centers, and others disagree.

My argument would be it is necessary for video games, in many parts of the US. My internet is 8/1, so next gen games represent a considerable download time, as well as taking up a lot of hard drive space, and I expect sizes will only increase over the course of the generation.

I could be convinced, since I do use Steam now, but part of Steam's appeal is aggressive pricing to offset minor quibbles like that.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But seriously, even if the console had a drive with a few terabytes, the 50 gigs a game is a pretty damn big chunk to download at a time, given the state of the current infrastructure

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Zynga fired 15% of it's staff today, 314 people.

Then bought the rights to the NaturalMotion (Euphoria animation [i.e. GTA, MP3] engine.

http://blog.zynga.com/2014/01/30/ceo-update-5/

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »

Then bought the rights to the NaturalMotion (Euphoria animation [i.e. GTA, MP3] engine.

So Zynga, while still reeling from the effects of its over-expansion, has refused to learn its lesson about acquisitions.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

I love how that email is full of paragraph after paragraph of terrible corporate speak and then Mattrick signs it with just his first name as if that would make it seem that a human had actually wrote that.

Also this bit is terrifying coming from either Zynga or Mattrick:
    I am pleased with the rigor our teams have applied in terms of learning valuable customer insights...

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=221453

WB has cancelled the rest of Arkham Origins DLC on the Wii U. Nintendo has refunded everyone who bought the season pass.

I'd like to say I'm disappointed, but I'm not the type to buy DLC anyway.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

I said not necessarily for a reason. Some people may not require one. That's it and I'm not sure why you are trying to make more of it then that.

One can base a media altar around a good cable package and Netflix or the like. Shit, I know alot of people who don't really buy movies anymore in physical form. That doesn't mean everyone does, obviously, but it's a segment of the market that exists and can be catered too.

Plus, you know, the fact that anyone who is really into physical movie copies basically 100% for sure already has a player. And can just plug that into the X1.

A lack of a blu-ray drive is not an unbridgeable impediment to the X1 being a media centre.

shryke on
  • Options
    Crayon wrote: »

I'd say it's definitely partly that. Not in that they will bring back the old DRM scheme (which they can't cause, you know, no disk drive).

Rather, this is their much friendlier push at an all-digital console. "Here's how it could be in the futre. And it's $100 cheaper!" Then you see how it goes. Get back data on usage and consumer response.

Because what a box like this really does is give MS the answer to the question "Do people want a disk-based console ecosystem enough to pay an extra $100 for it?".

Plus, you know, it also let's them claim an equal price to the PS4 in adds. "X1 starting at $399!" and all that shit.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

So Zynga, while still reeling from the effects of its over-expansion, has refused to learn its lesson about acquisitions.
    Don Mattrick learn from mistakes?

NEVER!

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    shryke wrote: »

I said not necessarily for a reason. Some people may not require one. That's it and I'm not sure why you are trying to make more of it then that.

One can base a media altar around a good cable package and Netflix or the like. Shit, I know alot of people who don't really buy movies anymore in physical form. That doesn't mean everyone does, obviously, but it's a segment of the market that exists and can be catered too.

Plus, you know, the fact that anyone who is really into physical movie copies basically 100% for sure already has a player. And can just plug that into the X1.

A lack of a blu-ray drive is not an unbridgeable impediment to the X1 being a media centre.

vg247.com/2013/05/28/xbox-one-microsoft-exec-explains-consoles-name/
    He added that Xbox One is, “The embodiment that this becomes one device that addresses all the entertainment that you want to enjoy on your TV, and brings it to you in a way that’s so simple, that it can be the only input you have connected through your television. It is truly the one place to go for all this. So One ends up being a deeply meaningful thing to us here. It’s almost a bar that we are striving to achieve, and I think we nailed it really well with the Xbox One.”

"The only input you have connected... well unless you wanna watch DVD's/Blu-rays. Gonna need another input for that."

It's going to be funny as hell if the final thing that MS backtracks on is the meaning of its own name. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular

would there be legality issues there? i mean, probably not i guess since 'EULA blah blah' but that would be changing a fundamental part of the console... i also assume that a decent amount of people who brought xbones after they back-tracked don't have any access to internet so would be left with an over-sized paper weight.

I mean, i don't think they'd actually do it, just curious.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Heroth wrote: »

would there be legality issues there? i mean, probably not i guess since 'EULA blah blah' but that would be changing a fundamental part of the console... i also assume that a decent amount of people who brought xbones after they back-tracked don't have any access to internet so would be left with an over-sized paper weight.

I mean, i don't think they'd actually do it, just curious.
    I doubt there would be any legal issues. I'd put money on Microsoft's legal team leaving plenty of room for just this sort of dickery in the terms of use and end user license agreements attached to the xbones. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that people are technically leasing their consoles from Microsoft, frankly.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Microsoft may have been dumb enough to try that idiotic DRM in this first place and even dumber to try and spin it as a great thing, but I don't see how bringing back that old scheme wouldn't be akin to just throwing away hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars in the resulting public relations catastrophe and inevitable massive legal costs in the form of class action lawsuits and almost certainly some outright legal violations.

And I don't see even Microsoft being that outrageously stupid.

• Options
    dead soulsdead souls Registered User regular
    I really don't understand why anybody would buy a console without a disc drive even if they planned to be digital download only. What if you're at a store and see a great deal on a retail title? What if one of your friends want to bring over a game and show it to you? There's really no downside to having a blu-ray drive even if you don't plan to use it.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Why are people fretting over a disc's DRM if the system doesn't have a disc drive? It seems like people are interpolating between 2 non-related points just so they have something to be upset over.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    dead souls wrote: »
    I really don't understand why anybody would buy a console without a disc drive even if they planned to be digital download only. What if you're at a store and see a great deal on a retail title? What if one of your friends want to bring over a game and show it to you? There's really no downside to having a blu-ray drive even if you don't plan to use it.

If it's released, it'll be interesting to find out an answer to this question.

• Options
    dead souls wrote: »

The $100 cheaper is an upside to getting one without. Also there is always the hope that PSN and Live will catch up to steam in terms of crazy sales, which they have been getting better at with PSN even introducing a flash sale of sorts this past week. Anyway, if they are serious about doubling down on all digital, it will be much more likely that you will come across a great sale on a digital game than it will be you come across one in a store, and if you see one in store you will most likely find it cheaper digital at some point.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I think Microsoft's problem at this point is that they really can't do the sensible thing and cut the Kinect to drop the price down a hundred bucks, because then the console is still just as expensive as a PS4 and with weaker hardware. Cutting the disc drive is terrible idea too, but unless they cut both the drive and the Kinect, they won't be able to drop the price enough for it to be a major point against the PS4.

And considering there are at least a handful of first-run next-gen games which run notable poorer on the Xbone, there's not a whole helluva lot of a point to cutting the cost of the system if they can't cut it below the price of the PS4 without losing the features that really matter on a console.

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Microsoft can subsidise the discless Xbox with the 30% (?) cut they get from digital sales. This is how it could be sold for $100 less even considering that the disc drive only costs $32 (and even this gain would be offset by increasing the HDD size). It could be like the arcade 360 model. The big question, as brought up by Pachter, is what would the retailers do. The margins on consoles are non-existent, retail makes all the money from the games. Why would they carry this thing?

I have an extensive Steam library but as a consumer I don't buy digital games on consoles. The console marketplaces are monopolies and have little incentive to price as competitively as Steam. Additonally, console makers have to keep the retailers happy, whereas retail hardly even exists in the PC space. The price difference between retail and digital is even greater in places like the UK, where physical games are always discounted from the RRP. The real reason I don't buy digital is the fact that I enjoy retro gaming. Microsoft already shut down the OG Xbox Live and all DLC with it and they're killing off GFWL. It doesn't seem much of a stretch to expect the same to happen to 360 and Xbox One online services once they stop being profitable. My library, on the other hand, will continue to exist even if Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all go out of business. I'm pretty fucked if that happens to Valve, but I didn't exactly pay full price on these games.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Well...1. does netflix et al still require gold? 2. How much does an apple TV or whatever the android equivalent is now cost?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Well...1. does netflix et al still require gold? 2. How much does an apple TV or whatever the android equivalent is now cost?

I can't comment on the rest of the world, but in Ireland, anything that isn't buying games/dlc requires gold.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I can see a diskless XBO existing in a few years down the line and it could become Microsofts real push for the all digital future. However they need to offer something to sell this machine that buying the original XBO couldn't get. Something like pushing some of the more welcoming pre DRM fiasco features onto the machine (Family sharing, etc). However I think if they offered something like 'Xbox Live Gold' free to anyone using that type of machine for the duration of the life of the console would become quite the draw for consumers who will be using a lot of the machine online and probably enjoy the idea of digital downloads.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Except 'Xbox Live Gold' free will never happen as it's a pure cash cow for them pretty much charging for it. It's not even a maybe one day type deal.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Except 'Xbox Live Gold' free will never happen as it's a pure cash cow for them pretty much charging for it. It's not even a maybe one day type deal.

Yes I know its a pipe dream and Microsoft will probably never introduce something that friendly, however my point still stands that Microsoft needs to introduce something to consumers for a diskless XBO that makes it a selling option above the standard console for it to work. Something id say that previous attempt at an all digital console the PSP Go didn't have.

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Yes I know its a pipe dream and Microsoft will probably never introduce something that friendly, however my point still stands that Microsoft needs to introduce something to consumers for a diskless XBO that makes it a selling option above the standard console for it to work. Something id say that previous attempt at an all digital console the PSP Go didn't have.

If everything stays the same right now, the $100 price drop is the consumer hook.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

I want to know what this means for Euphoria licensing. I mean, it seems like only Rockstar and Natural Motion were using it anyway, but it's the best damned animation system around, and if this has any negative impact on its use, I'll be super upset.

Also means we'll probably see Zynga mentioned in the credits for the next GTA release.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

If everything stays the same right now, the $100 price drop is the consumer hook.

Its $100 hundred dollars cheaper! That totally makes up for all of the used games you won't be able to buy for it for the next decade....and anything you want that we don't put on our marketplace....or gets taken down from the marketplace before you can buy it.....

This discussion has been closed.