Options

Phillip Seymour Hoffman [1967-2014]

JokermanJokerman EverythingEverywhereRegistered User regular
edited February 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
The actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York apartment on Sunday morning of an apparent drug overdose, according to a law enforcement official who requested anonymity because he was not certain the actor’s family had been informed of the death.

The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46, was found in his West Village apartment around 11:30 a.m. by a friend who had become concerned at not being able to reach Mr. Hoffman.

Investigators found a syringe in his arm and an envelope containing what is believed to be heroin, the official said.

“It’s pretty apparent that it was an overdose,” the official said. “The syringe was in his arm.”

Mr. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in the 2005 film “Capote,” in which he portrayed the writer Truman Capote.

He had undergone treatment for drug addiction in the past, and spoke in interviews about “falling off the wagon” last year after remaining clean for 23 years.

By around 2 p.m, more than a hundred people had gathered outside the address where the actor was found, in a brick apartment building on Bethune Street. The crowd was growing by the minute.

As people passed, they stopped, snapped photos, held hands and watched. They seemed to be waiting.

“He’s a local. He’s a fixture in this neighborhood,” said Christian McCulloch, 39, who said that he lives nearby. “You see him with his kids in the coffee shops, he is so sweet. It’s desperately sad.”

At a short distance from the crowd, two men who identified themselves as friends embraced, sobbing.

A woman answering the phone at Mr. Hoffman’s New York production company declined to comment. “I don’t have a comment at this time on that, thank you,” she said.
Wiki wrote:
Philip Seymour Hoffman (July 23, 1967 – February 2, 2014) was an American actor and director. He won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 2005 biographical film Capote, and received three Academy Award nominations as Best Supporting Actor. He also received three Tony Award nominations for his work in the theater.
Hoffman began his acting career in 1991, and the following year started to appear in films. He gradually gained recognition for his supporting work in a series of notable films, including Scent of a Woman (1992), Twister (1996), Boogie Nights (1997), The Big Lebowski (1998), Patch Adams (1998), Magnolia (1999), The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999), Almost Famous (2000), Red Dragon (2002), 25th Hour (2002), Punch-Drunk Love (2002) and Cold Mountain (2003).
In 2005, Hoffman played the title role in Capote, for which he won multiple acting awards including an Academy Award for Best Actor. He received another three Academy Award nominations for his supporting work in Charlie Wilson's War (2007), Doubt (2008) and The Master (2012). Other critically acclaimed films in recent years have included Owning Mahowny (2003), Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007), The Savages (2007), Synecdoche, New York (2008), Moneyball (2011) and The Ides of March (2011). In 2010, Hoffman made his feature film directorial debut with Jack Goes Boating.
Hoffman was also an accomplished theater actor and director. He joined the LAByrinth Theater Company in 1995, and has directed and performed in numerous stage productions. His performances in three Broadway plays led to three Tony Award nominations: two for Best Leading Actor in True West (2000) and Death of a Salesman (2012); one for Best Featured Actor in Long Day's Journey into Night (2003).

Jokerman on

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    :(

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm watching The Master now, my favorite of his movies at the moment. But I gotta see CWW now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3P-f-8Lfcs

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Utterly shit news. He was amazing.

Seriously, this is some bullshit.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, how terrible. He was an amazing actor.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    As sad as his passing is, he took the best way out (intentionally or not).

Or so I've heard.

Sad.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Look at that resume. It's huge. If there were better actors, they were not as prolific, and if there were busier actors, they were not as good. He had an uncann knack for not just being good in movies but also for finding movies that were worth being in.

One of my favorite roles of his that wasn't mentioned here was a supporting bit in Next Stop Wonderland, a really underrated late-90s indie romance with Hope Davis. (The writer-director, Brad Anderson, went on to make The Machinist and Session 9.)

He was such a sunny presence in movies that it's hard to visualize the kind of pain the real man must have been going through. I didn't know he had kids; I feel terrible for them.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014

Guy

he had kids

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Guy

he had kids

I grieve my way, you grieve your way.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    The actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York apartment on Sunday morning of an apparent drug overdose, according to a law enforcement official who requested anonymity because he was not certain the actor’s family had been informed of the death.

am i the only person offended by that part? that someone would be so inconsiderate of the family to be divulging these kinds of details before they have even been informed? because i'm sure that's how they'd like to receive that tragic news that a loved one has died, via a news site or on facebook or twitter. and so concerned for their own anonymity too.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

am i the only person offended by that part? that someone would be so inconsiderate of the family to be divulging these kinds of details before they have even been informed? because i'm sure that's how they'd like to receive that tragic news that a loved one has died, via a news site or on facebook or twitter. and so concerned for their own anonymity too.

Funny they didn't mention the bribe (I assume) was paid for the disgustingly early heads up.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Guy

he had kids

fair enough, sorry

This just sucks

• Options
    edited February 2014

Guy

he had kids

fair enough, sorry

This just sucks

No need to apologize. I have no idea what happened to him, but my I initial reaction to the story was "suicide" or "partying recklessly" which causes a knee jerk reaction in me that isn't flattering to say the least.

He wouldn't be the first actor with mental health issues. So I should try and lead with my less judgey foot.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    a friend of mine who is a former EMT mentioned that it is not at all uncommon for people who have done a ten-day rehab program (as Hoffman did) to OD soon after.

ten days is just long enough for your body to detox, and a lot of these people head out from rehab and a week or two later they score and try to shoot up the same amount that they were used to using before the detox, not realizing their body has already lost much of its tolerance.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Fuck. Had no idea he was a heroin addict.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    goddammit.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    a friend of mine who is a former EMT mentioned that it is not at all uncommon for people who have done a ten-day rehab program (as Hoffman did) to OD soon after.

ten days is just long enough for your body to detox, and a lot of these people head out from rehab and a week or two later they score and try to shoot up the same amount that they were used to using before the detox, not realizing their body has already lost much of its tolerance.

Often times, it's actually due to a "loss" of the conditioned compensatory response.

Studies have shown that tolerance is actually subject to classical conditioning. Meaning that a person's body can be conditioned to have a tolerance/compensatory response to a drug in the presence of some neutral stimuli. If a person often times takes a drug in the same environment then that environment will evoke the tolerance response. However, if that person then takes a drug in a new environment where they have not been conditioned to evoke the tolerance response then the tolerance response could be much weaker, leading to overdose, and possibly death, even if they take the same amount of drug they normally do.

The conditioned compensatory response is also a big why it's so hard for someone stop taking a drug if they're always in the same environment. That environment evokes the body's compensatory response, which is basically the opposite of what the drug does. So if a drug causes euphoria, the body will cause dysphoria, and if the person is always in the environment that evokes the compensatory response, they'll keep feeling like crap until the response is extinguished.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    This is entirely anecdocal, but I think I recall reading on the Reddit thread that there's been a string of heroin-related OD deaths in NYC right now, due to a bad batch of Fetanyl-laced heroin.

Looks like it's been picked up by the media now, might be something to it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2550708/Authorities-investigate-possible-link-killer-heroin-fentanyl-batch-Philip-Seymour-Hoffmans-death.html

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

a judge in court around here recently said this to a guy in on heroin charges that he was releasing. basically warning him he'd been in jail for a few days, long enough that a 'regular' dose might be an OD if he wasn't careful.

:(:(:( ugh

• Options

Often times, it's actually due to a "loss" of the conditioned compensatory response.

Studies have shown that tolerance is actually subject to classical conditioning. Meaning that a person's body can be conditioned to have a tolerance/compensatory response to a drug in the presence of some neutral stimuli. If a person often times takes a drug in the same environment then that environment will evoke the tolerance response. However, if that person then takes a drug in a new environment where they have not been conditioned to evoke the tolerance response then the tolerance response could be much weaker, leading to overdose, and possibly death, even if they take the same amount of drug they normally do.

The conditioned compensatory response is also a big why it's so hard for someone stop taking a drug if they're always in the same environment. That environment evokes the body's compensatory response, which is basically the opposite of what the drug does. So if a drug causes euphoria, the body will cause dysphoria, and if the person is always in the environment that evokes the compensatory response, they'll keep feeling like crap until the response is extinguished.

this is fascinating

it definitely seems like something they could stand to teach people in rehab about.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

this is fascinating

it definitely seems like something they could stand to teach people in rehab about.

It seems like something just worth teaching. I learned about it in high school, but only through friends in psych class. Basic stuff like this could stand to be more widely known.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Man....shit....

Time to go watch Charlie Wilson's War, cause he absolutely killed it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Going to add his performance in The Ides of March to the list of just fantastic characters he's portrayed.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Man....shit....

Time to go watch Charlie Wilson's War, cause he absolutely killed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZXtCHoRb50

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Jacob nailed it. PSH was a prolific and great actor. He was versatile, he played main roles, supporting roles, and minor roles, and just fit in everything he aimed to do.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I think it says something about an actor when they're in so many things and you don't even remember.

A lot of times we'd perceive this as not memorable, and in a lot of cases you'd be right.

But Hoffman played so many wonderful characters that you forget it's Hoffman. It's just a bunch of great characters.

Also going to add The Savages with he and Laura Linney as maybe my most underrated Hoffman movie. It's a fantastic and quiet movie about dealing with a parent reaching old age.

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    man, this just came out of nowhere. so sad... I can't even pick a favorite, so many great performances.

tKfL2Yd.png?1