As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread Tags: Classy, Game-Gluttonous, Less Monstrous Than Steam Community At Large

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    That tag is just on the Yogscast DLC pack, I think.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @Tairu, post a link to your Steam profile.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm disappointed with this tag business because "pretentious" and "overrated" were actually useful things to understand about games, especially when the hype overlaps the facts.

edit: How do you tag Stick of Truth over priced and garbage before its even come out?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    One more double post in this thread and I'll give away an apology.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    I suppose we should have seen this coming - store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Pretentious/
    Wait, you can search games by label now? Let's see...
    Yes, it works!

b4MXgv6.jpg

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Man some of the tags people are putting on games.... I knew that some of steam is toxic but man. Some of the tags I have seen are "DLC Whoring" "Diva Dev" "Rome wasnt patched in a day" etc etc. I am guessing that any Ubi game will have something in the realm of "LOL UPlay" or the like. Some of them are pretty funny I guess.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Iolo wrote: »
    @Tairu, post a link to your Steam profile.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198063103306/

edit: was unaware that my signature didnt link to my profile

Tairu on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Man some of the tags people are putting on games.... I knew that some of steam is toxic but man. Some of the tags I have seen are "DLC Whoring" "Diva Dev" "Rome wasnt patched in a day" etc etc. I am guessing that any Ubi game will have something in the realm of "LOL UPlay" or the like. Some of them are pretty funny I guess.

Actually there is a UPlay tag and it's a wondrous, useful thing.

It's a learning process for all involved, there's some useful information out there in the tags. It's just that it's mixed with insults, spoilers and whatnot.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Most of these tags are pretty funny.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

It's a learning process for all involved, there's some useful information out there in the tags. It's just that it's mixed with insults, spoilers and whatnot.

Why would we need a uPlay tag though? That sort of information is available on the store page.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular

Diva Dev tag being applied to Derek Smart games seems pretty accurate. But yeah the tag system is going to require some tweaking. But I am liking what I see. It is a lot easier to find certain genres now.

• Options
    jclast wrote: »

Why would we need a uPlay tag though? That sort of information is available on the store page.

I suppose the point is so that you can search for games along those lines. I don't know if you can search for Uplay games on steam but with this tag, you know you can buy and install them all at once, finish, and then take it all off.....slowly....in rhythm to music.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

But seeing it right there at the top of the page is a much better warning than having it buried in the specs at the bottom of the page.

• Options
    Fair enough. I am sorry I didnt mean to bring up the UPlay war here. There is enough of that in EVERY ubi game on steam.

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'm the only one not seeing this on the steam front page, but in case everyone is having this issue, Witcher 1 and 2 are supposed to also be weekend deals at 80% off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Gone Home and Fez are comedy gold.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I've been adding "historically accurate" to silly things like Jamestown, Revelations 2012, Gettysburg Armored Warfare and the like.

• Options
    BTW Infinity Wars is pretty fun so far. I love the simultaneous playstyle.

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    I had to check out the tags for Infestation: Survivor stories (aka The War Z)

7OSggYJ.png

They'll probably need to restrict the list of tags available. There's only going to be so many you can genuinely use anyway.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Thanks so much to @Berylline for giving me a (Super early!) birthday present of Paper Sorcerer <3

Also super thanks to @DaringDirk for a copy of Love (Once again super early birthday present).

I truly appreciate the classiness of everyone here, but I seriously don't need stuff for my birthday. I've been here for a few years now, and while there are a few people I find lacking, the Ratio of Awesome as fuck People to meh, whatever people is amazingly high. I <3 you all, thanks for the birthday Wishes, and no one needs to get me anything else. I'm good on games. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I'm good on games. <3

But I get paid a couple of days before your birthday! I'm just going to assume you mean that like you fancy games!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I need all the games. all of them

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Just an FYI still waiting on a couple people to confirm they got their copies of Interstellar Marines.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't know if this will count towards my two songs, but here is at least a song. Sadly there is no karaoke version of this song yet.
    http://youtu.be/320D4hbYsYk

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Ha, well done @Rorus Raz. :)

EDIT: Also, I am enjoying tags so far.

p7xp5Zf.jpg

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    All I want out of life is to see a video of The Newell listening to that song for the first time.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    bC5uYxb.png

Ok.
    Some actually funny tags:

AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaaaaah: Chivalry Medieval Warfare

This should be a tag for Serious Sam.

Jragghen wrote: »
    Ikaruga is finally dropping on the 18th.

oh god yes

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Raz that was glorious.

Quick someone do a dubstep remix.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    It seems they cleansed some of the funny tags, but not all of them? o_O

Maybe the devs/publishers can do that or something?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    These tags are stupid

• Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    Let's forget all those tags for a minute though and talk about NaissanceE which just came out today.

iGkXSB07bFZRU.jpg

NaissanceE hits the ground running - or rather, its protagonist does. The opening moments serve as a compressed summary of all that the player is about to experience. Disoriented, panting, lungs pumping air like every moment could be their last. Rows and rows of identical hallways swoosh past. Are the walls really shrinking in on us or is it just a trick of the camera? A glimpse of the assailant giving chase causes the pace to quicken, accentuated by a sickening electronic noise trill. Before long, we come face to face with the creature just moments before falling into a pit that carries us to safety. Safety being relative. As the world we’re introduced to is anything but friendly and familiar.

Brutalist-inspired architecture expands in every direction around you at once. Raw geometry stretches on for miles, well beyond the draw distance. One of the few games to truly capture a sense of awe by the sheer scope of the maps. It’s both liberating and demoralizing at the same time. Alien in construction, sterile almost to a fault, human civilization peeks through the cracks now and again to toy with the player. A long and winding descent down dozens of staircases could lead to a room which looks to have been used as a recreational bar at some point. Now fully devoid of life. Some areas are very reminiscent of the cities found in the Arthouse Sci-Fi films of the 70s.

irI0GIBQyq8aW.jpg

Stark, textureless constructs are given their powerful looks through smart use of light, shadow and hints of color. In fact, the near absence of color works to its benefit. The subtle film grain assists in the illusion of NaissanceE being born from Black & White movie stock. Every once in a while a hint of blue, red or green seeps through. There were some fears that perhaps its visuals were almost too minimalist, but you hardly notice the lack of textures. It’s impressive how visually stunning the game is and most of that is thanks to just good, clean artistic design.

In a way it’s the older brother of Kairo, one who transitioned from Eno to Lucier while attending college. Second cousin twice removed to Antichamber, losing almost all of its puzzle genes. NaissanceE stands proudly next to other modern takes on the puzzle adventure. Progression, while linear, always fits within the massive scope of any particular area. You’ll get lost in the larger maps, poking around in the corners feebly in hopes of finding direction or a sign of life. What plot there is to be told is presented entirely through the environmental clues left behind by whoever came before you. There’s no dialog to be heard, no monologuing audio diaries or scraps of paper to pick up. The only text ever seen is the chapter titles and the main menu options. Everything remains a mystery.

iumOJsOozRjqb.jpg

In terms of gameplay, most of the time is spent simply navigating the large maps with occasional platforming segments to break things up. A breathing mechanic comes into play while sprinting for a short time. Every few seconds while sprinting, a circle will appear on screen. Hitting the right button (defaults to Mouse 1) while the circle is there will make your character take a breath and they will continue running a little longer. Fail to do so and they become winded and slow down drastically. Not something you want happening in the large maps or while jumping from cube to cube. On the note of platforming, I found some of the sequences to be irksome. Some involving awkwardly shaped landing areas and altered physics took me out of the moment if only briefly. I feel like the game could have been better off without those or with a little more care taken with them. You'll also get to play with some cubes that are sensitive to light sources for a few puzzles, but none of them are particularly difficult.

The soundtrack, consisting of haunting orchestral pieces, glitchy abstract chirps and driving robotic electronica, fully sells the atmosphere. Contributions come from 3 composers who have been around quite a while and are highly respected in their circles: Patricia Dallio, Pauline Oliveros, Thierry Zaboitzeff. Pauline Oliveros’ involvement in particular has me excited. I’d not expected to see such a legendary figure in avant-garde electronic music on the list of a videogame soundtrack. But NaissanceE isn’t afraid to wear its inspirations on its sleeve.

iwsbCiaiZL2dH.jpg

NaissanceE expertly grasps the concepts behind what makes lonesome wandering compelling. The lights are on but nobody’s home. An expansive view of an area could show thousands of lit windows though you never get the sense that anyone is ever sitting behind them. A few poorly spaced checkpoints and unintuitive platforming segments annoy but don’t detract from the overall experience. As challenging of a play as it is a listen, your hand is never held in the labyrinth. The atmosphere is stifling, mysterious, beautiful. I felt compelled to explore as much as I could even if I knew there was a dead end ahead. In the 5 hours it took me to reach the incredible last moments I remained entranced.

Though, I don’t really know what it all means.

And it terrifies me.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I don't know what to do with my tag list.

Strategy (Yes!)
    City Builder (Maybe, but I need to start Civ V)
    Simulation (Sure...)
    RPG (Yes!)
    Accounting ...

I'll get my coat.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    You know what.

I'm down for these tags to remain stupid. Provided they get put towards the bottom of the store page rather than the top.

Also whoever posted Space Asshole is a terrible person, I'm never going to get that out of my head now. Jeez.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I see some Ikaruga hype.

If you just can't wait, rRootage is a free boss-oriented shmup by Kenta Cho. There's an "Ika" mode. It's not much to look at by today's standards but the bullet patterns are fantastic.

and of course there's always Cho Ren Sha 68k.

• Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Dunno if people are aware of it, but FYI the witcher series are having a 80% discount on steam.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Huh. They made a second EtherLords? I mean, the first one was OK, but super damn hard (unless you cheated which, well duh it's easy then). And as far as I remember, it didn't sell very well originally either.

Anyone know how that second one was?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    johnwing wrote: »
    Dunno if people are aware of it, but FYI the witcher series are having a 80% discount on steam.

The witcher series going for a fiver is a must buy for folks who don't already have it... My friendslist has it already :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I will be pleased with tags if they do one thing: replace categories in the library.

I want to be able to tag a game as "RPG, Strategy, Platformer" and have it show up in 3 categories: RPG, Strategy, and Platformer.

This discussion has been closed.