Options

[Heroes] Season 3: Vote Worf to Eliminate Heroes '08 (spoilers)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, we know how nathan healed from his horrible disfiguring burns... who's to say it doesn't squirrel itself away in your system and come out to heal you when you are fucked... kind of like a beneficial acid flashback?

Of course, then we reach the problem where Claire can make anyone she wants immortal...

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, we know how nathan healed from his horrible disfiguring burns... who's to say it doesn't squirrel itself away in your system and come out to heal you when you are fucked... kind of like a beneficial acid flashback?

Bah.

On the positive side, that would mean that Noah can't die either.

Sepah on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sepah wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    I have a question. It is an important question.

WHO THE FUCK HEALED NATHAN AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON!?

He was shot, died, then came back to life.

Maury made him believe it was Linderman, but it was confirmed that was just an illusion.

So, does anyone know? Cause I can't figure it out, and thats kind of a gaping hole in the plot.

God.

:x

No, seriously. That's the explanation that the writers have given in interviews. "God did it."

And seeing as how the show doesn't have a good history of answering unanswered questions, that's probably the most we will ever hear about it.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    I have a question. It is an important question.

WHO THE FUCK HEALED NATHAN AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON!?

He was shot, died, then came back to life.

Maury made him believe it was Linderman, but it was confirmed that was just an illusion.

So, does anyone know? Cause I can't figure it out, and thats kind of a gaping hole in the plot.

God.

:x

No, seriously. That's the explanation that the writers have given in interviews. "God did it."

And seeing as how the show doesn't have a good history of answering unanswered questions, that's probably the most we will ever hear about it.

:x:x:x:x:x

Its a good thing I have no taste in entertainment, or I would totally stop watching this show.

Sepah on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey, it's still better than their explanation on why Sylar killed Elle: "Elle saw him when he was weak and that he didn’t want witnessed."

Or how Hiro's mom somehow managed to come down with something with no overt symptoms which still could be healed by either herself, Linderman, or Adam's Jesus blood: "If Linderman, who is a healer and Mrs. Nakamura who is a healer – couldn’t “heal her” – then it seems like even Heroes have limits."

Or their explanation on who Angela was talking to at the end of season two: "She was talking to the AMTP trying to settle the writers strike — but we all know how that turned out. Seemed they opened Pandora’s Box."

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Schrodinger's like the Clawshrimpy of the Heroes thread, hah.

Greeper on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    I have no idea where he even gets some of this stuff. I have no clue what "that he didn't want witnessed" is supposed to even mean, and that's only the beginning of the issues with that statement.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, it's still better than their explanation on why Sylar killed Elle: "Elle saw him when he was weak and that he didn’t want witnessed."

Or how Hiro's mom somehow managed to come down with something with no overt symptoms which still could be healed by either herself, Linderman, or Adam's Jesus blood: "If Linderman, who is a healer and Mrs. Nakamura who is a healer – couldn’t “heal her” – then it seems like even Heroes have limits."

Or their explanation on who Angela was talking to at the end of season two: "She was talking to the AMTP trying to settle the writers strike — but we all know how that turned out. Seemed they opened Pandora’s Box."

I like to think that Hiro's Mom was dying as a side-effect of the catalyst.

That would make transferring it into Claire a sensible alternative. But nooooo...

Even when there are badass/legitimate paths which they could take the writers seem intent on fucking up everything about this show.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I have no idea where he even gets some of this stuff. I have no clue what "that he didn't want witnessed" is supposed to even mean, and that's only the beginning of the issues with that statement.

http://heroeswiki.com/Interviews

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19177

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, Sylar's confirmed in future episodes. There are shots of him from the set in full SWAT gear and they're bringing in Lex Luthor's dad from Smallville to play his dad.

Now there's typecasting for you.

Scooter on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Yes, Sylar's confirmed in future episodes. There are shots of him from the set in full SWAT gear and they're bringing in Lex Luthor's dad from Smallville to play his dad.

Now there's typecasting for you.

I bet somewhere there is a shark being jumped over in that picture. It may hard to see, but I know it's there. Kinda like a "Where's Waldo?" picture.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Relatively big spoiler
    Question: Any news on Heroes? Maybe something on the season finale? --Dennis
    Ausiello: Sylar kills a regular Hero that's been on the show since Season 1. And it sticks.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Hahahaha holy shit NBC.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    First thought: Who necro'd this travesty based thread?

Oh.

NBC did.

oh.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    If NBC has this few ideas, Community might end up with like 12 seasons and multiple movies.

EDIT: Or hell, it's not like Zach Levi is doing anything, and Strahovski's just doing the 24 mini-series thing, so she's free. Bring back a show someone would watch. I mean, not many people, but at least they were devoted and not to mocking the show's stupidity.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Actually you've just cheered me up a lot by reminding me that at least they aren't bringing back Chuck.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Yet.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I see this going one of two ways:

1. Heroes remains a hopelessly confused and lost franchise and this will be yet another sad chapter of its existence.

2. The show runners have learned from their mistakes and know that, despite some amazing ideas, why Heroes became so terrible after the first season and are now willing and capable to avoid those same pitfalls.

It'll either be great or a disaster, I don't see much room for middle ground here.

If I were them, the first scene should establish that everything after season one never actually happened, and it was all imagined by Sylar as he died on the pavement. It'll turn out he was spot on about Adam Monroe existing, though, but this time we'll actually get to see him fight a billion samurai and he won't get buried alive only to emerge with a quarter of his IQ from a month ago just to get pointlessly Worf'ed to the next big bad.

Basically, we'll give one villain a story better fitting the awesomeness of a character that has been around for a millennium after giving the other villain a proper death (and not years of the most confused, directionless writing ever).

Oh, and Peter totally dies. Nathan might get to live, as the whole "politician who is a superhero" angle has some mileage. And with Peter and Sylar, a lot of really bad storylines (and in Peter's case, acting) can be avoided.

We'll use the extra budget from their salaries for fight scenes. Namely, a lot of them where Matt Parkman uses his psychic abilities to give him super reflexes, turning him into a lovable, husky whirlwind of fisticuffs fury.

Last: Noah will just say "fuck it", don a cowl, and just outright call himself Batman.

Comradebot on
  • Options
    If the creators learned from their mistakes, they would need to start a new franchise.

How much of the old universe is really worth salvaging, other than the generic idea of genetic evolution?

And really, what kind of a story is there left to tell other than a cliched MOW adventure?

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    If the creators learned from their mistakes, they would need to start a new franchise.

How much of the old universe is really worth salvaging, other than the generic idea of genetic evolution?

And really, what kind of a story is there left to tell other than a cliched MOW adventure?

Dude, I just described how they could do it: it was all a dream of Sylar's as his brain shut down from death. But I doubt the writers would do it, so they should probably just fire them and put me in charge.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »

If I were them, the first scene should establish that everything after season one never actually happened.

That's exactly what I was thinking. They need a reset after the events of Season 1. Whether its a person that time travels or somehow a world paradox gets created and dumps the bad.

My only issue with Heroes is that Season 2 got murdered by the writers strike. That year everything on television got murdered in ratings because of it and Heroes was also one of those casualties. Season 3 on the other hand was just atrocious.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    What I'd like to see:

Keep the powers reasonable.

Don't resort to things like amnesia or random loss of powers to neuter characters who get too powerful.

Make the payoffs worth it.

(Oddly enough, all 3 of those can apply to Hiro.)

If the caller ID says "Jeph Loeb", let it go to voicemail. Then delete the voicemail.

• Options
    Season 2 of heroes would have terrible no matter what. The only thing the writers strike changed was the last 10 minutes. Originally, the virus gets released because someone decided to make the worlds deadliest vial out of flimsy glass, and Nathan dies as the first victim.

When you read through the interviews, the writers had no idea what they were doing. Like, no one even considered the plot implications of Jesus blood until season 3.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    They just have to not make any overpowered Deus ex machina heroes that conveniently become dumb to give the bad guys a chance, and it could be decent I guess. So it would have to be mostly a new cast.

And also don't ruin a dramatic moment 1 episode after it happens: In season 1 I think, Glasses guy has to leave his cheerleader daughter, or lose his memory or something, that was super sad. And then next episode everything is pretty much back to normal... welp!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Basically show peaked with Company Man and was downhill from there. Specifically, the kind of downhill where the skier screws up and runs into a tree.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    What storyline from the series is anyone actually eager to see resolved?

Not, "Wow, I can't believe that storyline went nowhere again." But something that calls for actual emotional investment?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    What. . .no!

:#

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    IIRC it ended on a big ol' cliffhanger where the superpowereds were revealed to the world at large. There's some meat on dem bones.

I'm down for this. Heroes' biggest fuckup was meandering from whatever the initial premise of the season and going nowhere. Paring it down to a 13 episode series means they gotta have an ending in mind.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Hiro uses his abilities to bring everyone to the past to fix all their mistakes but somehow gets teleported to a medieval fantasy world filled with magic. The heroes are recruited by the various monarchs of the land to lead armies of soldiers and magical creatures to battle each other in turn based combat.

• Options
    http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/heroes-brave-new-world-38029
    In case you missed it, I chatted with Tim Kring a few days ago—Friday to be exact, then quickly turned the interview around so it could run on The A.V. Club in time for Monday's finale. And it turns out all of that is true. Episodes are written by committee. They only plan out a few episodes in advance. They feel pressure to have the characters change "just cuz-sies." No major character will ever die. Ouch, my sense of self-worth. Did the world used to be sunnier? Just, in general? I remember it being brighter.

http://www.avclub.com/article/tim-kring-37975

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Hopefully the writers have been watching Game of Thrones and take notes on how to create characters we love and love to hate. Also, plan ahead! Heroes seemed like that show that didn't think it was going past the pilot episode but then did and we scrambled to create something with it. Hopefully time and experience will be on our side now.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Oh dear god why

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Hopefully the writers have been watching Game of Thrones and take notes on how to create characters we love and love to hate. Also, plan ahead! Heroes seemed like that show that didn't think it was going past the pilot episode but then did and we scrambled to create something with it. Hopefully time and experience will be on our side now.

Heroes and Lost both suffered from that. Heroes I pulled the ripcord on pretty quickly, Lost I stuck with almost until the bitter end (skipped the last two episodes).

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Maybe this time something half-fucking interesting will be in THE BOX.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Why couldn't NBC do a mini series reboot of Quantum Leap when Scott Bakula was still available?

• Options
    He's off heading NCIS' new branch office, IIRC

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I still cannot believe how much promise they had at the end of Season 1 of Heroes and how amazingly swiftly they fucked it all up almost within seconds of the start of Season 2. Truly outstanding.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I never really got the praise that the early series got - yes, it was watchable, but IMO it wasn't anything other than generic superhero stuff even at the best of times. There were a handful of characters that had potential, but even S1 wasn't much more than okay, enjoyable superhero pap, at least in my opinion. A handful of good episodes, lots of average plot development and characters and some downright annoying, overused shit.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Making your leading guy an empathic mimic was p.ballsy and I was on board to see how they'd balance it. Not well, as it turned out! But the notion that Peter could accidentally pick up new powers he doesn't know about was great - especially when he acquired crazy powerful shit he couldn't control like Ted's nuke powers.

But then they gave him absolute control over pretty much everything, making him unstoppable. So how'd ya fix that?

EASY, paring his power way down so now he's a Rogue-a-like and he has to touch someone to copy their power, and can only store one at a time. Except now his ability doesn't reflect his personality at all, so pffffffffff

Oh brilliant