As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes] Season 3: Vote Worf to Eliminate Heroes '08 (spoilers)

1394041424345»

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Writing by committee doesn't have to be a bad thing, it stops stupid crap from making it hopefully. Depends on the people in it, obviously. And practically no TV plans that far in advance, winging it well is what results in most of the good stuff. They just need to not to do it badly this time! By ignoring everything previously and as mentioned hiring Zach Levi and Yvonne Strahovski...or just ignoring most of everything after season 2 as stated. :P

Oh and triple kill Sylar pre-episode 1 just to be safe opening 10 seconds. Root of all issues right there. Worked well until he got a face, granted, but not worth the risk.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I never really got the praise that the early series got - yes, it was watchable, but IMO it wasn't anything other than generic superhero stuff even at the best of times. There were a handful of characters that had potential, but even S1 wasn't much more than okay, enjoyable superhero pap, at least in my opinion. A handful of good episodes, lots of average plot development and characters and some downright annoying, overused shit.

Different time. This was two years before Iron Man. The only live action superheroes were adaptions in movies and...uh, Smallville over in the WB/CW corner. Heroes was on NBC and about as mainstream as you could get.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    The other big part of it was timing: S1 of Heroes was airing at the same time as early S3 of Lost, which is when the show was having its biggest backlash, and there was a lot written about how Heroes was supposedly succeeding where Lost was failing (ie. answering questions that it was asking rather than piling on more questions, having briefer season-long arcs rather than playing a long game with no determined end point), so it got a lot of over-the top praise by the comparison, rather than just on its own merits.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    S1 of Heroes felt like it had a plan, that it had direction, that it wasn't going to get stuck in the hideous homeostasis that network TV falls into.

It was all a lie.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    S1 of Heroes felt like it had a plan, that it had direction, that it wasn't going to get stuck in the hideous homeostasis that network TV falls into.

It was all a lie.

The last fucking shot of S1 (IIRC) was when it all went wrong.

The original plan was to turn over the cast every season. That would have been interesting.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    The last fucking shot of S1 (IIRC) was when it all went wrong.

The original plan was to turn over the cast every season. That would have been interesting.

You are 100% correct.

Heroes was damaged by a horrible attack of the "back by contractual demands". At the very least getting rid of Syler and Peter was crucial to the health of the show. When they showed they lacked the courage to do so I knew it was all doomed.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I still cannot believe how much promise they had at the end of Season 1 of Heroes and how amazingly swiftly they fucked it all up almost within seconds of the start of Season 2. Truly outstanding.

Saying Heroes had a lot of promise in season 1 is a lot like saying that the "Little Orphan Annie" decoder ring had a lot of promise when Ralphie was still waiting for it to show up in the mail.

You can't just say, "Let's bring back the decoder rings, but this, time, let's do something awesome with it!"

Season 1 doesn't have a lot of replay value. Once you know where everything is headed, the magic is gone.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Season one was a lot of fun, even if it did have problems. S2 I remember enjoying watching, but you could see things were going downhill quickly. After that, I kept watching hoping it'd get back on track or maybe we'd finally get the Peter/Sylar fight. I'm not eager for this, but maybe it'll be good.

• Options
    Comradebot wrote: »
    If the creators learned from their mistakes, they would need to start a new franchise.

How much of the old universe is really worth salvaging, other than the generic idea of genetic evolution?

And really, what kind of a story is there left to tell other than a cliched MOW adventure?

Dude, I just described how they could do it: it was all a dream of Sylar's as his brain shut down from death. But I doubt the writers would do it, so they should probably just fire them and put me in charge.

Yes, let's bring back Adam Monroe, the most boring immortal in the history of scifi immortals.

Oh, and Nathan becomes the Flying Mayor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnhgpVb-u5s

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I just don't follow rebooting this thing, or whatever it is they say they're doing.

Surely there are better shows to bring back? Or better ones waiting to be greenlit?

• Options
    I just don't follow rebooting this thing, or whatever it is they say they're doing.

Surely there are better shows to bring back? Or better ones waiting to be greenlit?

Like I said, Quantum Leap.

If you can't bring back Scott Bakula, you could reboot the show. Which probably needs to happen anyway, because the show takes place in 1999, and still looks super futuristic.

Also, it was already hinted on the show that the are many leapers other than Sam. Including Evil Leapers, who make wrong what once went right.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Evil leapers employed by satan no less

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    If the creators had learned from their mistakes this would be an Alphas miniseries instead.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Next up, the return of The Cape!

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    If the creators had learned from their mistakes this would be an Alphas miniseries instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vozDJMjmhYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJUg0DYuT8