As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

mp3/mp4 player just died.... recommend me a replacement

Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
mp3/mp4 player just died.... recommend me a replacement

ive only ever had 2 mp3 players

First one was an archos jukebox 20 gig (really early ipod thing) lasted 5 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archos_Jukebox_series

Then an archos av500 and that’s done 10 years but sadly the hard drive has packed up on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archos_AV_series

So replacement options. There doesn’t seem to be many large hard drive mp4/mp4 players about. Most of the companies make android tablets now. Im not against having a table. But I don’t really want something the size of a tablet. I want something the size of phone.

I don’t really want an ipod as I already have an iphone

I want something with 30-60 ish gig of storage. I can also use as an usb hard drive

The mp4 part is no longer essential as I no longer commute so don’t watch films on the train etc.. but I do use the player daily plugged into my car stereo via head phone jack.

Thanks for you suggestions

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's kind of a shame you have an iPhone, as with a smartphone with expandable storage, you just throw in a microSD card and there you go, instant MP3 player. (I have a 32 gig card in my S3 that holds all my music in FLAC)

In your case, the 8GB model of this with a 32GB micro SD card in it will probably be your best option.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    dang! i just use my iphone as a music player, but i hesitate in the gym because i am clumsy and foresee myself dropping a dumbell on it. for $30 that is pretty sweet.

• Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    thats pretty good. i prefer if it did pic and vid. there is the samsung galaxy s wifi and the sony nwz-e585. but the main problem is i have a little over 16 gig of music

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I really like the Sony music players.

I think it shows that hey have been in the business of portable music for a very long time.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Seconding the recommendation for a Clip; I actually got the slightly older Clip+ model rather than the Zip, but they're much of a muchness. (Zip has colour screen and possibly marginally worse visibility in sunlight, but the Clip+ isn't super visible in sunlight either, to be fair). They're small, sturdy, sound good, take extension cards, reasonable battery life. Also, you can put Rockbox on there if you like to be able to spend lots of time fiddling with settings.

djmitchella on