Options

[SteamOS] Next-gen Master Race discussion

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »
    Free, was (paraphrased) "we expect the bottom end stream only, with some low spec games being able to be played, for 100$. eventually we would want to get that to free". This might have been when they were planing on doing their own hardware as well.

If the content is streamed from a more capable PC, why would a cheap streaming device be limited to "low spec games"?

As in it can play those on it's own. So it could stream, or if that pc is busy, it could play low spec stuff itself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Free, was (paraphrased) "we expect the bottom end stream only, with some low spec games being able to be played, for 100$. eventually we would want to get that to free". This might have been when they were planing on doing their own hardware as well.

If the content is streamed from a more capable PC, why would a cheap streaming device be limited to "low spec games"?

I believe the reference to low spec games being playable is about actually running some games on your streaming box. It would be able to run native linux games that are light on requirements.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

I believe the reference to low spec games being playable is about actually running some games on your streaming box. It would be able to run native linux games that are light on requirements.

But would a stand-alone cheap Streamcast HDMI dongle be running Linux? Or would it be some kind of bare metal real time device?

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    That's an interesting question. I haven't seen any discussion of streaming features divorced from SteamOS.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    That's an interesting question. I haven't seen any discussion of streaming features divorced from SteamOS.
    I think it has to do with the rumormill of our echochamber we have going on. Because all it would need on the technical side is hardware decoding h.264, it would "easily" be able to be done in a dongle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Roku supports H264 and Bluetooth gamepads. And is $50.

Just sayin'.

Maybe someone can hack that into a Stremcast.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    With the open source approach I guess anything is possible? What a crazy world.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Just realized that with the streaming beta comes the ability to be logged in on multiple computers on different networks. What this means is that you can easily go between offline and online mode without worry.

For instance, I have a home desktop and a laptop that I take to work and can lightly game on while it's dead. Before the streaming beta, I would have to make sure my laptop is set to offline mode before leaving work or risk kicking my girlfriend off steam if I wanted to play something. Now with both online, if my girlfriend is in game on the desktop I can just pop the laptop into offline mode and start playing.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Step 1: stream game.
    Step 2: alt-tab out of game.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: stream the rest of your desktop for fun and profit (not sure what you would actually use it for... )

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Actually, that could be quite useful, sometimes at least.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Step 4: stream the rest of your desktop for fun and profit (not sure what you would actually use it for... )

Do the mouse and keyboard still work or can you only look at the desktop?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    Is anyone getting display latency less than 30ms? Mine's typically hitting closer to 40+, and it's making fast-action games pretty unplayable (even on Cat5e)...

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    If you just want to stream your desktop, I highly recommend using RDP or VNC instead. Steam home streaming is not well suited for that use case at all.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I don't intend to test it tonight (Game of Thrones Blu-Rays just arrived!) but there's some really juicy notes in the latest Steam beta patch.

We have just updated the beta with the following changes:

All Platforms
    Added support for hardware-accelerated decryption on modern Intel and AMD CPUs

SteamOS
    Added support for selecting your input device (for voice chats)
    Fixed device volume not being reset to 100% when changing audio device outputs

Mac OS X
    Fixed game launch issue if the game had a non-standard memory allocator in it that returned non 16-byte aligned pointers

In-Home Streaming Beta
    Fixed Steam crash if the game is running on the remote computer before streaming starts
    Fixed Steam crash when streaming from Mac OS X and Linux

Emphasis mine. Obviously huge news for client machines that don't have discrete GPUs. The second thing is also a huge QOL improvement, and allows for more seamless passing off of games from host to client.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hmm
    February 20 - Steam Client Beta Update - Feb 20
    We've released a minor update to the Steam Client Beta just now:
    -Added support for an upcoming SteamOS feature

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ominous!

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Do the mouse and keyboard still work or can you only look at the desktop?
    They do.

Actually, I read the in-home streaming FAQ after posting that and they stated it was intended design so you can get back to your game in the event it loses focus.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Hmm

Dun dun DUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

You know, I'm surprised none of the manufactures have started selling "Early Access" boxes, where you get the box now, and one of the controllers when they are released.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    As a long term PC and console gamer, I've been considering the services offered going forward and tried to think about them in a non-biased way.

Everybody loves Steam. I love Steam. I get cheap games on it. At the same time, I can honestly say I'm kicked out of the games I want to play probably three times a week for patches, updates, etc. It happened to me twice tonight, once for each game I was playing.

Thinking back, this has actually never happened to me on a console. Ever. Will this experience be improved upon with Steam iOS?

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm sort of curious what games you're getting kicked out of because of updates, as it doesn't match my own experience at all.

I guess it makes sense if you mostly play multiplayer games that are updated frequently, but the closest I can really think of is not being able to queue in Dota 2 because an update just came out or not being able to join a TF2 server right after an update because of version mismatch.

• Options
    Steam shouldn't be downloading updates while you're playing a game unless you turn that functionality on.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Hmm
    Half-Life 3 confirmed.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I've been kicked out of games for Steam or game related updates exactly 0 times.

And I pretty much game exclusively on Steam.

Sounds like something else is going on, though I can't imagine what.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also, if games are updating automatically the only way they would be updating while you are playing is that you have Steam entirely shut off when you are not playing a Steam game.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Yikes, looks like TSR is still banned.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Yikes, looks like TSR is still banned.

My life is considerably less full of Rift news and obscure retro game knowledge.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    As a long term PC and console gamer, I've been considering the services offered going forward and tried to think about them in a non-biased way.

Everybody loves Steam. I love Steam. I get cheap games on it. At the same time, I can honestly say I'm kicked out of the games I want to play probably three times a week for patches, updates, etc. It happened to me twice tonight, once for each game I was playing.

Thinking back, this has actually never happened to me on a console. Ever. Will this experience be improved upon with Steam iOS?

So, the other day, I was doing laundry and my wife was studying.

I figured, you know what? I'm going to restart Dark Souls and actually make some decent progress in it.

I had to install 3 Dark Souls updates, then a PS3 update, then another Dark Souls update. And the update speed was slooooooow.

No Dark Souls for me that evening.

• Options
    Looks like the latest steam beta patch is going to be sent to the public client if no huge bugs are found.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Does SteamOS work with wireless 360 controllers via USB dongle?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I've been kicked out of games for Steam or game related updates exactly 0 times.

And I pretty much game exclusively on Steam.

Sounds like something else is going on, though I can't imagine what.

Same thing for me, I have several hundreds of hours of steam gaming and that never happened to me.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Portal is available on Linux in beta form, finally.

Just leaves CS:GO as the last Valve game not ported.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, SteamOS is going to have native Rift support, right? So it'll be set up that you can use the OS without the need for a separate monitor.

A few talks I've watched describe how some things that don't work in the Rift can still be managed using virtual displays, essentially a floating virtual monitor in the virtual space. So games that don't have native Rift support could still be played that way if the OS has native Rift support. This means you can have as many virtual monitors as you want around that game window. Like, you're playing ... whatever. DIablo 3 or Path of Exile. It doesn't support the Rift natively, but runs on SteamOS and SteamOS has native Rift support, so you're playing on a virtual monitor floating in front of you. You want to open a browser, so you do so, just as if you had a second physical monitor, by opening a new window on a new display beside the gaming one. And so on.

Which could mean, with some of the motion controls that are coming out like that thumbring that tracks hand movements, that you could manipulate windows in the Rift exactly the same as Tom Cruise in Minority Report. Just wave them around and such. Tony Stark type shit.

And further, SteamOS needs to build in bluetooth support for cell phones. You're playing a game. Your phone rings. SteamOS overlays the call details and you can answer the phone right in your headset without pausing the game or taking off the Rift.

Make a call by bringing up a dialing app.

I am freaking out, here guys. :)

• Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Does SteamOS work with wireless 360 controllers via USB dongle?
    Edit: Sorry, that's for regular steam. I have no idea if SteamOS recognizes the wireless dongle.

Yes. Did this for years. I lost the controller during a move so I got a wired one (which also works fine), and then found the original controller. If you connect it to either an x-box or a computer using the charge-and-play cable it'll sync to that device and not the other. This is how I swapped between xbox and PC for a while. Without the cable, there are tiny buttons to push and wait for a wireless handshake.

AlanF5 on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Valve went ahead and open sourced their Direct3d to Opengl translation layer.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/03/valve-releases-open-source-direct3d-to-opengl-translator/

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Yay! I'm really dying to try one of those bad boys out and it makes me sad when there is no news. Now we just need to wait on pricing and availability details.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    It makes sense for ease of use with games that use 360 button labels, but it seems a little bit odd that they'd use the 360 button names and colors.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I assume so it can interop easier with Xinput games.

• Options
    Valve made their own post about the updated controller

It has the image in a higher resolution.
    DOG_controller_MED.jpg

• Options
    The touchscreen thing was kind of dumb and would have driven costs up a bunch while wrecking battery life so I'm okay that it is dead.