As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] Fandango

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Also, at max rank there's about a 1 second window between when kassadin comes in and silences you and you can cast spells again before he can flash out.

he is/was so stupidly strong

avoid the pitfall of building a bunch of mana

blink in, silence, barf, collect penta kill

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I'm fine with dating someone who's dating other people up until the point that I'm not.

There comes a point where I want to be the only one.

So I'm not sure how wise an arrangement like that would be for me, given that there is a very audible countdown attached.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Every once in a while I am reminded that the UK is one step ahead of the USA in marginalizing the 'common folk.' Also they have political cartoons too:

idgi

Any politician would want the unemployed to have jobs and some public assistance versus no jobs and lots of public addistance.

I think he is talking about workfare where people have to work for a negative wage to receive public benefits. This means they are either doing mostly useless work or are competing with people who aren't making a negative wage.

I guess that is a problem. A secretary on workfare getting eight pounds in benefits for a day's work can't compete with a secretary making eight pounds an hour.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So, it seems I owe 1,130 dollars instead of 145

FUCK THIS HEALTHCARE SYSTEM.

Mim on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    argh why can't i just be godzilla and destroy the fkn world with my rage

poo
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So, the hip-hop show on Saturday. We went to see Busdriver. He was

not good.

The opener, however, was pretty alright! And he had a line that went something like "...from South Central doing everything I should, and if I had seven dragonballs I'd wish a n****a would"

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I think a society with many polygamous marriages can be surprisingly non-dysfunctional in each of those families

I just don't think that liberalism has any good idea on what to do with the excess heterosexual males

aRkpc.gif
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am looking forward to Titanfall on P.C.

It looks like the combination of mechwarrior / tribes / unreal tournie I've always wanted.

I wish there was multi-platform play, so I can connect with those who sold their Soul to EA and installed Origin.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i guess what i dont get about polyamory is how people get started on it to begin with

i mean do you just know a mormon and then decide to get converted one day or something?

919UOwT.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Do you mind if I ask what work you're planning to do in BC?

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Will, are you picking up Titanfall? We can suck at it together.

absolutely! i will play with you dogg!

i am so bad that the smart pistol seemed pretty keen to me.

It's pretty sweet.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    i guess what i dont get about polyamory is how people get started on it to begin with

i mean do you just know a mormon and then decide to get converted one day or something?

You're thinking polygamy, and mormons don't practice it since it was made illegal, except for fundie sects.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hmmm

I have until tomorrow to think of a novel way to make a band make money in today's dumb world where people just steal music willy nilly.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    so...that company that interviewed me for the second time today now wants me to interview a third time, this one with the CEO...

On the one hand, I guess it's good because it means I've been knocking these interviews out of the park, I think. On the other, I just want them to get to the whole offer phase because that is clearly crucial for me. I did provide them with my current compensation and I'm hoping they realize that they would need to be above that for me to jump. I have a feeling they're going to come in low.

I dunno, this whole thing definitely has some risk. I'm at a pretty good place right now although my my job satisfaction has definitely dipped since I got moved to the impersonal cube farm.

@Dynagrip‌

GET PAID SON
    but change is scary!
    also, i've heard 20% is a decent figure to use as a salary jumping point but yeah, still concerned it's too rich for their blood. oh well, good interview practice for me.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Wash wrote: »
    A lot of pro-abstinence people must feel some kind of intense jealousy deep down inside toward people who have healthy active sex lives. For as much as their philosophy may decry it, it's difficult to ignore a physical necessity, and how dare anyone else enjoy it when they cannot.

I think it's this that causes the "double down" mentality to take root.

If you're doing something that isn't measurably enriching your life, and those who go without your philosophy seem to be having a good time, many times it causes you to freak the fuck out and become some lunatic crusader. It leads you to telling a whole auditorium of 16 year olds that they'll wind up loveless and unwanted if they have sex.

Because how dare they not live up to the arbitrary standards you place on them.

sometimes i wonder if this motivates some people to agitate for monogamy

#unpopularopinionpuffin

I've come to feel as I've gotten older and worldlier that monogamy has a whoooole lotta innate cultural hangups built in that have very little to do with two people loving each other.

Having a couple of friends in successful polyamorous relationships has helped form that viewpoint, as well.

hi5

honestly i'm not all "everybody must be poly"

relationships can take a lot of time and people have jobs and kids and responsibilities, sometimes there just isn't enough energy to go around

sometimes you have other priorities in your life, you don't need a second partner, you wouldn't see the benefit

you're happy with what you have

that's cool

#typinglikepony

For me, personally, I think I would be capable of being emotionally invested in more than one person, but monogamy for me has never been my own personal acheivement. It's not about sex so much with me, but then again, I'm demisexual, so it never really is.

Basically I'm cool with endless sleepovers.

Deebaser wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Deebaser I would rock a brick phone though

My first phone was a post brick nokia. 30 minutes a month.

i had a motorola clamshell

it was so awesome

919UOwT.png
    ronya wrote: »
    I think a society with many polygamous marriages can be surprisingly non-dysfunctional in each of those families

I just don't think that liberalism has any good idea on what to do with the excess heterosexual males

Polyamory is not necessary polygamy, and marriage need not entail exclusivity for the male or female members. Ergo, the only excess males are those in the friendzone.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    kedinik wrote: »
    Wash wrote: »
    A lot of pro-abstinence people must feel some kind of intense jealousy deep down inside toward people who have healthy active sex lives. For as much as their philosophy may decry it, it's difficult to ignore a physical necessity, and how dare anyone else enjoy it when they cannot.

I think it's this that causes the "double down" mentality to take root.

If you're doing something that isn't measurably enriching your life, and those who go without your philosophy seem to be having a good time, many times it causes you to freak the fuck out and become some lunatic crusader. It leads you to telling a whole auditorium of 16 year olds that they'll wind up loveless and unwanted if they have sex.

Because how dare they not live up to the arbitrary standards you place on them.

isn't this kind of true of anyone who sets restrictive standards on themselves?

like, you see the same sort of thing - contempt - from fit people who work out all the time or diet strictly towards those who don't.

you see the same thing from people with any other moral precept that they adhere to - liars or manipulators or the cruel or the amoral.

you see the same thing from people who keep their promises wrt those who do not.

you see it from people of refined tastes who look down on those who have unrefined (by their standards) tastes.

like - take any one thing about yourself that you are proud of. the people who do not have that quality are inferior in some way, whether it's ignorance or a lack of talent or a lack of scruples or a lack of discipline or whatever else.

i'm not abstinent and really never have been, but i admire the discipline and conviction of those who choose to be so.

I think that mostly goes to whether the individual who has set a personal restriction is judgmental or not, rather than to whether the restrictions have been set.

I prefer monogamy for a handful of reasons but I'm happy that Feral is happier when following a different standard, for instance.

right, but you also probably don't feel like you are sacrificing something to a higher principle by being monogamous.

you probably wouldn't have the same live-and-let-live regard for someone who claimed to be monogamous but was actually cheating on their spouse.

Well, that certainly wouldn't make me that person's fan, but that's because he's betraying his wife's trust, probably eventually gravely hurting her, and putting his entire family's longterm well-being at risk, including his own, in order to make himself slightly happier in the short term.

In other words because, as described, he's being a dishonest selfish jerk who is quite likely hurting himself - among others - in the long term more than he's helping himself in the short term.

I think those are kind of, almost, empirical descriptions of his behavior and what it tends to reflect and cause; that's not the same as saying, "I'm a loyal monogamist, therefore no one else should [etc]".

Put another way, his behavior's bad because it seems like a short-sighted net-loss for everyone involved more often than not, and I wish that he would see that. Again, that's different than, "I'm invested in the institution of monogamy, therefore [etc]".

e: And to clarify, this all goes back to my underlying opinion that most people are mostly better off if they interact honestly with each other, not to any opinions that are particular to romantic relationships.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    I'm marrying a Canadian. Or someone in England.

This is happening.

TL DR wrote: »

You're thinking polygamy, and mormons don't practice it since it was made illegal, except for fundie sects.

no i'm pretty sure that polyamorists are all mormon

you might want to check your facts

919UOwT.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

Polyamory is not necessary polygamy, and marriage need not entail exclusivity for the male or female members. Ergo, the only excess males are those in the friendzone.

I don't think that's sustainable either! I think norms will merely shift in an illiberal direction until the marriage market equilibrium - or, if you prefer, the amorous relationship equilibrium - is achieved again

aRkpc.gif
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I am looking forward to Titanfall on P.C.

It looks like the combination of mechwarrior / tribes / unreal tournie I've always wanted.

And it comes with a free origin infection!

Yeah Origin is pretty bad

Its a cost I'm willing to bear to play ME3 and Titanfall as a member of the master race.

At least it isn't GFWL.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    NAME IT KATNISS SKIPPY

YESSSS

Hermione
    Arya

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

This is happening.

If I marry you, will you smuggle sugary candy-cereal boxes in Canada?

• japanjapan Registered User regular

Polyamory is not the same thing as polygamy.

That is, it does not generally take the form of many females exclusively paired with a single male.

• japanjapan Registered User regular

Polyamory is not the same thing as polygamy.

That is, it does not generally take the form of many females exclusively paired with a single male.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    fuk everything even u

Even me? :cold_sweat:

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'd actually consider Arya.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Asteroid mining

(only half kidding)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Will, are you picking up Titanfall? We can suck at it together.

absolutely! i will play with you dogg!

i am so bad that the smart pistol seemed pretty keen to me.

It's pretty sweet.

I was all about crowd control - titan summoning via smart pistol kills.

Fuck even going after the pilots, I farmed the shit out of the creeps and got my mech on that much faster... and I was consistently in 2nd or 3rd place on my team doing it, with only the rarest of pilot kills.

It's a completely valid playstyle (stealth + smart pistol + AI hunter)

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...

This is happening.

Do you not have sugary candy-cereal in Canada?

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Hmmm

I have until tomorrow to think of a novel way to make a band make money in today's dumb world where people just steal music willy nilly.
    Instigate a trend to release music only on vinyl because it's harder to pirate that way.

Wait, no, that's been done already.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    argh why can't i just be godzilla and destroy the fkn world with my rage

@Notasuit Shaz, you just need to find your center, brah

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    NAME IT KATNISS SKIPPY

YESSSS

Hermione
    Arya

my friends named their daughter arya : )

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    fuk everything even u

Even me? :cold_sweat:

especially u

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I'm personally a little distrustful of poly because many poly folk I've met have had some really bad relationships and breakups (lol anecdotal evidence I know)

which is true of single people as well!

but in general I think most people have difficulty handling the emotional baggage a single relationship entails and basically there's a Venn diagram of "people who think poly is a good idea" and "people who are capable of managing the pitfalls of a poly relationship successfully" and the crossover of those two circles is kinda small

but I don't think there's anything immoral or unethical or specifically wrong about poly, and for some people it works really well, which is great

I just think its more difficult than a monogamous relationship and there are more people who think they can handle poly then there are people who can handle poly.

It probably is more difficult - so what? An interracial relationship is more difficult than having a relationship with someone of the same race and you don't distrust interracial couplings.

I don't think that's sustainable either! I think norms will merely shift in an illiberal direction until the marriage market equilibrium - or, if you prefer, the amorous relationship equilibrium - is achieved again

What are you saying? Your original post seemed to describe that as marriages occupied available women at a faster rate than men, there would be a surplus of available men. My response is that a married woman can still bang other dudes even if the only marriages were one-man-many-women instead of mixed or opposite ratios.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Teen pregnancy rates
    1. New Mexico - 93/1,000

2. Mississippi - 90/1,000

3. Texas - 85/1,000

4. Nevada - 84/1,000

5. Arkansas - 82/1,000

6. Arizona - 82/1,000

7. Delaware - 81/1,000

8. Louisiana - 80/1,000

9. Oklahoma - 80/1,000

10. Georgia - 78/1,000

40. South Dakota - 53/1,000

41. Iowa - 51/1,000

42. Nebraska - 50/1,000

43. Utah - 48/1,000

44. Wisconsin - 45/1,000

45. Maine - 43/1,000

46. Massachusetts - 42/1,000

47. North Dakota - 42/1,000

48. Minnesota - 42/1,000

49. Vermont - 38/1,000

50. New Hampshire - 33/1,000

wonder why NH comes in so low.

I can verify firsthand that it is a mystery because girls from NH be cray
    swag_dat_derpy_by_derpyhooves4-d5chia5.png

so swag

Oh brilliant

This is happening.

Do you not have sugary candy-cereal in Canada?

We don't have so many kinds of sugar-cereal here. :(

Like, we can't have Trix... or pebbles... or cocoa puffs...

This discussion has been closed.