As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Turnabout [Chat]

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    for those bros looking for a cheapo pc digital foundry built a sub-£500 pc and got better than ps4/xbone performance out of it

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-next-gen-digital-foundry-pc

I mean, I don't know what they ask for over in Euro-land for the consoles...

but yeah, I would hope a PC that costs more than twice what a PS4 costs, and 350 dollars more than an XBO, would be able to outperform either easily.

An xbox one is £450
    € prices are often just the same number the $ price-tag shows.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Actually it looks like they are cutting the price to £400. I don't know if the xbone had different SKUs or whatever though, so maybe that one lacks something important like the cheap no harddrive 360

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    This is a pretty amazing article about an SR-71 that broke up mid-flight written by the pilot involved.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i have been fascinated by therpgsite recently

the people on it are so fucking hostile about rpgs they do and don't like and it boggles my mind

I accidentally stumbled on a site like that (rpgcodex maybe? can't remember) while looking to see what people were making of wasteland 2, and the unrestrained loathing for what seemed like every videogame RPG ever was palpable.

sig.gif
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    for those bros looking for a cheapo pc digital foundry built a sub-£500 pc and got better than ps4/xbone performance out of it

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-next-gen-digital-foundry-pc

but yeah, I would hope a PC that costs more than twice what a PS4 costs, and 350 dollars more than an XBO, would be able to outperform either easily.

An xbox one is £450

I think they recently cut the RRP to £400 for the console alone to match the PS4's price, but most places are keen to push console + one game bundles at £430-490ish. PS4s can be had in console + one game bundles for sub £400.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Actually it looks like they are cutting the price to £400. I don't know if the xbone had different SKUs or whatever though, so maybe that one lacks something important like the cheap no harddrive 360
    They're cutting the price only for the UK as far as I'm aware.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    They still need some games before I'll worry about the prices of the next gen consoles.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    They still need some games before I'll worry about the prices of the next gen consoles.

seriously. I've had the xbone for 3 months now and so far I've only played the dead rising demo.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

the people on it are so fucking hostile about rpgs they do and don't like and it boggles my mind

I accidentally stumbled on a site like that (rpgcodex maybe? can't remember) while looking to see what people were making of wasteland 2, and the unrestrained loathing for what seemed like every videogame RPG ever was palpable.

Read this:
    DW has fulfilled the same function now for Storygamers. It lets them pretend that they're still being radical pseudo-intellectuals who are so much better than regular gamers, it even makes them think that they're cleverly playing a storygame that puts on a facade of an RPG; when in fact all they're doing is playing an RPG with the crumbling facade of being a storygame. Its the feather on the cap of their creative bankruptcy.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    So. My phone has my old house set as "home"and idk how to change it. But it makes me really fucking sad to be reminded that our nice neighbors and 20+ years of memories arejust down the highway in a better part of town.

gotta fix that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

seriously. I've had the xbone for 3 months now and so far I've only played the dead rising demo.

Wow.

Like, I've played Assassin's Creed Black Flag (I'm so sorry 3 was your intro to the series because that game was pretty bad), Dead Rising, Ryse, Madden, Tomb Raider Definitive, Killer Instinct, Forza 5... and my only "regret" purchase was Madden, because I gave up on it as soon as the giants won a super bowl.

And next week, fucking Titanfall, which is just condensed awesome.

and supposedly Strider is the shit also, but that experience can be gotten anywhere.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I'll pick up ryse when it's sub $20. I hear it's only about 4-5 hours of actual game.

Maybe I'll pick up titanfall, although I didn't much enjoy the beta.

• Options
    Launch consoles in the UK (Wii excepted) have pretty much always been around "reasonable gaming PC" in price. PC gaming doesn't really command a price premium until the first major price drop, and by then PC performance will be significantly superior.

Games are significantly cheaper new.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This is a pretty amazing article about an SR-71 that broke up mid-flight written by the pilot involved.

this is the kind of story that can make one believe in a higher power of some kind watching out for people.

I know, I know - the other guy died, and the test pilot got incredibly lucky. But a lot more people were probably saved by his work. Even further if you think what that plane was designed to do.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

6 months after launch is usually where you start to see glimmers of hope and then buying one can seem reasonable as early as twelve months later.

Buying a launch console is a fool's game. That has never really been any different.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

Read this:
    DW has fulfilled the same function now for Storygamers. It lets them pretend that they're still being radical pseudo-intellectuals who are so much better than regular gamers, it even makes them think that they're cleverly playing a storygame that puts on a facade of an RPG; when in fact all they're doing is playing an RPG with the crumbling facade of being a storygame. Its the feather on the cap of their creative bankruptcy.

Sweet jesus.....

sig.gif
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I'll pick up ryse when it's sub $20. I hear it's only about 4-5 hours of actual game.

i thought the beta was pretty fun but i had massive connection issues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    And to be fair, I have opinions on games, but I also don't think they're fact. Well, a few are, but those are obvious things like "you do what a game has rules for."

But these fucking people are arguing about the use of the word "fiction" as if it's the worst fucking thing ever.

• Options

6 months after launch is usually where you start to see glimmers of hope and then buying one can seem reasonable as early as twelve months later.

Buying a launch console is a fool's game. That has never really been any different.

it was a gift from my waifu

• Options
    Vanguard, if it makes you feel any better, Imma buy the shit out of Wasteland 2 when it's released

• Options

Ah. That's how I had a 3DS merrily gathering dust for about 18months. Although now there are a couple of games I'd like to play if they'd ever come down to a reasonable price.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    what rpg are they talking about, "DW"?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Ah. That's how I had a 3DS merrily gathering dust for about 18months. Although now there are a couple of games I'd like to play if they'd ever come down to a reasonable price.

3DS games (especially the Nintendo ones) pretty much never go on sale. Maybe $5 off on a good week.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

3DS games (especially the Nintendo ones) pretty much never go on sale. Maybe $5 off on a good week.
    I've noticed. It's most annoying.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2014

Really? Weird, I haven't heard much negative from anyone regarding that beta.

What didn't you like?

edit: Ryse is definitely a game that would benefit from a lower price point, but playing it on legendary difficulty stretches it out quite a bit and makes it just as much of a puzzle game as it is an actiony Arkham-style title.

I really want it to get a sequel, because the core game is great and the visuals are the best on any platform, full stop. Would love to see what these guys could do now that they aren't spending years floundering around to figure the game itself out, then rushing to make that game hit launch.

If Ryse as it is now had 1 more year to expand and develop...

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014

er

£430 for xbone in uk release

or 500 euros

all electronics are expensive over here

you could probs have guessed at that, but i guess the defensive reflex was 2 stronk

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

er

or 500 euros

you could probs have guessed at that, but i guess the defensive reflex was 2 stronk

So game consoles are more expensive over there...

are GPUs? CPUs? I am kind of curious how this all pans out... like, is there an advantage price-wise to building a PC versus buying a console over there?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Deebs did you win your bet with Ludious?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

er

or 500 euros

are GPUs? CPUs? I am kind of curious how this all pans out... like, is there an advantage price-wise to building a PC versus buying a console over there?

both are more expensive

in 2005 i bought a $4000 laptop that would have been £4000 in the uk when the exchange rate was $2:£1

its not as bad as stralia but its pretty egregious

on the other hand pc parts have much less of a price markup than console parts because there are a lot of cheeky semi-oem suppliers and websites that let you get good parts pretty cheap for various reasons

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

er

or 500 euros

At launch, a reasonable gaming PC is generally around the same price as a console.

After the first major price drop, consoles have a lower cost of entry but higher game prices. A reasonable gaming PC will be a couple of hundred pounds more but perform better and have cheaper games.

• Options
    several months ago, while cleaning out my grandmother's house, I found an old issue of the Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine

from May 1983

It's in pretty bad condition: beat up, torn pages.

still, it's pretty cool. Has shorts by Pohl and Charles Sheffield, and an article by Asimov.

• Options
    ME3 has some really great moments and surprisingly fun multiplayer but as a whole it's just ugh. I'm ploughing through out of commitment to the series alone.

• Options
    Cycling finished

Now, Rugby

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »

Dungeon World

• Options

er

or 500 euros

both are more expensive

in 2005 i bought a $4000 laptop that would have been £4000 in the uk when the exchange rate was $2:£1

on the other hand pc parts have much less of a price markup than console parts because there are a lot of cheeky semi-oem suppliers and websites that let you get good parts pretty cheap for various reasons

grey market import stores can be awesome in situations like that.

As I understand it, Brazil relies pretty heavily on stuff like that, as the PS4 costs nearly 2,000 USD down there legit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Tamin wrote: »

Dungeon World

oh

tabletop; no wonder it wasn't ringing any bells.

thanks.

• Options
    Deebs did you win your bet with Ludious?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/29296233

: D

• Options
    And to be fair, I have opinions on games, but I also don't think they're fact. Well, a few are, but those are obvious things like "you do what a game has rules for."

But these fucking people are arguing about the use of the word "fiction" as if it's the worst fucking thing ever.

nerds, man

• Options

er

or 500 euros

both are more expensive

grey market import stores can be awesome in situations like that.

As I understand it, Brazil relies pretty heavily on stuff like that, as the PS4 costs nearly 2,000 USD down there legit.

It's not really grey import stuff, it tends to just be unbranded or not officially branded parts intended for OEMs rather than retail sale, so they aren't boxed with manuals or driver discs or whatever, and the part/model numbers may not be listed on the manufacturer website and such.

You can also occasionally exploit the fact that national distributors in different EU states set different RRPs, and there are no import/export restrictions or duty to pay on sales occurring between different states.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Fucking

ugh

I was having a particularly amazing dream and was woken up by a migraine

Fantastic

This discussion has been closed.