As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lost Planet 2: Quite Pleasent Conditions

1234568»

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if your faction for the week does not have a slice of the pie on the match chart, do not bother playing any non-coalition matches for that set.

you will regularly get matched up ugly like that. Some weapons will be earned via level progression, btw. the "?" boxes have a chance to get them too.

Ahh, a good thing to know about the faction matches, that.

i had picked up...grenade II from a ? block...i think. i know i got an energy gun from the slots, but so far that's been the lot of it. All my faction levels are still 14-25 though...

Well, nothing to be done but plug away, then!

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    monhan.jpg

hell. yes.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Haha, Kaseius finally got Fraps to capture card that shit. Awesome.

He has singlehandedly convinced me to at least rent but more then likely buy this for the PS3 for my birthday.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

He has singlehandedly convinced me to at least rent but more then likely buy this for the PS3 for my birthday.

Watching the livestream can be seriously dangerous for your wallet, man. It's funny -- often times all it takes is a bit of humor and seeing something for themselves for people to want a game. Negative reviews be damned, once they actually see it, it's actually awesome looking.

Let me know when you rent it or anything and I'll play some co-op with ya. Hard mode preferred. :wink:

Kaseius on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »

Watching the livestream can be seriously dangerous for your wallet, man. It's funny -- often times all it takes is a bit of humor and seeing something for themselves for people to want a game. Negative reviews be damned, once they actually see it, it's actually awesome looking.

Let me know when you rent it or anything and I'll play some co-op with ya. Hard mode preferred. :wink:

Saweet, I look forward to it. I'm planning on doing some game shopping at some point in the coming weeks after my room is finished being renovated and closer to my birthday. Gonna have me a new sound system among other things, will make things much more engaging.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh we are SO doing the train level. :P

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if your faction for the week does not have a slice of the pie on the match chart, do not bother playing any non-coalition matches for that set.

you will regularly get matched up ugly like that. Some weapons will be earned via level progression, btw. the "?" boxes have a chance to get them too.

Ahh, a good thing to know about the faction matches, that.

i had picked up...grenade II from a ? block...i think. i know i got an energy gun from the slots, but so far that's been the lot of it. All my faction levels are still 14-25 though...

Well, nothing to be done but plug away, then!

Yea. Pretty much.

Most of my time has been spent in single player, so my nevec, fight junkies, and rounders levels are in the 30s-40s or so. I've been doing Femmes on Extreme and MP ranked the past few days and just hit 44 last night iirc.

I would recommend getting your Rounders level to about 30, when you get the LOL SHURIKEN disc grenade, which is one of the more [strike]cheap[/strike] popular weapons to use in MP. It's a one-shot kill on everybody. It also pops Power Armor in a hit. The range on it is obscene, and it bounces off walls. You will wreck faces with it. The other thing I've been seeing more of is the normal grenade that looks like a bumble ball and has an obscene explosion radius. MP on some maps is pretty much grenade spam.

The Shotgun II is amazing too, since it staggers players and VSes.

Fortunately, in normal ranked MP you can't use abilities (you can use your weapons) which means nobody spawns with 12 shurikens while being invisible to radar or something. As far as I've seen at least.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    weeskweeweeskwee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    question for you guys.

I have both consoles and am trying to determine which version of LP2 to get.

usually for most cross-platform titles I get the 360 version due to it either looking better or running better. so far everything I read says the 360 version has a better framerate than PS3 and I've heard no real comparison on the graphics.

I really want the Monster Hunter and Killzone 2 skins (the Gears 2 guys can bite it!) but am not going to get the PS3 version just for a couple of cool skins if it's an inferior version of the game.

also, wasn't there an article a couple months ago saying the 360 version was going to be missing a lot of content due to a disc size limitation? is this still the case, or was the PS3 version nerfed this content as well to make them both the same? if PS3 has more content, i'm for sure going to jump onto their side this time.

thanks.

weeskwee on
    Nintendo Network ID: weeskwee
    XBL Gamertag: weeskwee
    PSN: weeskwee
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    weeskwee wrote: »
    question for you guys.

I have both consoles and am trying to determine which version of LP2 to get.

usually for most cross-platform titles I get the 360 version due to it either looking better or running better. so far everything I read says the 360 version has a better framerate than PS3 and I've heard no real comparison on the graphics.

I really want the Monster Hunter and Killzone 2 skins (the Gears 2 guys can bite it!) but am not going to get the PS3 version just for a couple of cool skins if it's an inferior version of the game.

also, wasn't there an article a couple months ago saying the 360 version was going to be missing a lot of content due to a disc size limitation? is this still the case, or was the PS3 version nerfed this content as well to make them both the same? if PS3 has more content, i'm for sure going to jump onto their side this time.

thanks.

I'm certain that if that were true, the nerdrage of having more content available at launch on the PS3 vs the x360 would be very apparent all through this thread (and on the internet in general). The articles you're talking about said just that: content was cut on all versions. Content is cut all the time. There is a possibility that said content or even other content could come back in the form of DLC. Or not.

As far as versions, go with whatever system you play more? Depending on how good you are at third person shooters, you may get more benefit out of Lost Planet 2 in multiplayer form. Which system do you have more of your friends playing on that may want to run with you?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    weeskweeweeskwee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nobody I know seems to want this game so I will be playing single player, multi, and hopefully co-op with PA and NeoGaf players.

weeskwee on
    Nintendo Network ID: weeskwee
    XBL Gamertag: weeskwee
    PSN: weeskwee
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This may just be the "Get off my lawn" rising in me, but...

i've got the game on PS3 and it looks frigging beautiful. i don't know if it would look more beautiful on 360, if that would be possible, or even preferable. i do know that there hasn't been a single time where i've said to myself, gosh...if they could only render that part a little bit more...

Take this with a grain of salt, of course, as my points of comparison are from growing up with the NES.

Now if there's a more active online community for the game on one system or the other, i'd say to go with that one. Or if there're significant control or glitch issues...though i haven't read anything indicating that. But don't worry about the looks.

chris, waffle king of Osaka

---None of these fancy diagonal lines when i was a kid.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I want to put my 20 dollar credit from Red Dead Redemption toward this, Just waiting on that email.

It looks pretty epic in terms of scale of some of these boss fights.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My favorite teammates in multiplayer are the dicks on your own team who melee you off a data post capture so they can claim it. :|

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My favorite teammates in multiplayer are the dicks on your own team who melee you off a data post capture so they can claim it. :|

I've never met anyone who has done that on purpose. It's just a thing that happens because of lag.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have the PS3 version and I'm seeing one issue with the framerate. The game will occasionally freeze for one second, and then return to normal. I can't really tell if it's lag, or if it's the PS3 doing that, but basically the game "hiccups" every so often. I'm still really enjoying the game though.

RoriProfessor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »

I've never met anyone who has done that on purpose. It's just a thing that happens because of lag.

nah. it was intentional. these people have been walking around the poles to hit me and others. there's also been shooters. :|

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kaseius is kicking ass in team deathmatch right now if you guys want to watch the stream:

http://www.livestream.com/kaseius/old

Man can use a plasma rifle well.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kaseius is kicking ass in team deathmatch right now if you guys want to watch the stream:

http://www.livestream.com/kaseius/old

Man can use a plasma rifle well.

STREAM'S OVER BROS, those were some fun ranked matches I ran!

Kaseius on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Between Faction Matches that wind up being so lopsided the game cancels the match before it starts and the fact that anyone with a good machine gun usually will destroy you before you can do anything to counterattack, I'm slowly losing enthusiasm for the competitive multiplayer. Oh, but the best thing so far happened just last night: I was playing a ranked Post Grab match with some rank-obsessed "pro" dimwit who went on a tirade about how much the rest of us sucked when we lost the first round, and continued to do so for the rest of the game, and afterward. Herein is LP2's biggest shortcoming: you're only going to get as much enjoyment out of playing with others as your teammates will allow, and people like that aren't fun to play with.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Between Faction Matches that wind up being so lopsided the game cancels the match before it starts and the fact that anyone with a good machine gun usually will destroy you before you can do anything to counterattack, I'm slowly losing enthusiasm for the competitive multiplayer. Oh, but the best thing so far happened just last night: I was playing a ranked Post Grab match with some rank-obsessed "pro" dimwit who went on a tirade about how much the rest of us sucked when we lost the first round, and continued to do so for the rest of the game, and afterward. Herein is LP2's biggest shortcoming: you're only going to get as much enjoyment out of playing with others as your teammates will allow, and people like that aren't fun to play with.

DO A BARREL ROLL!.

Also barrel roll toward the player. If someone is pursuing you as they gun you down, this will result in an overshoot, and not many people use the quick turn buttons (they take a little practice). They can't shoot you if you're not in front of them. Mastering mobility will get you out of a lot of hard situations.

Also, the CC guns and effects are awesome. MG2 is powerful, but the throw effect of the charged Energy Gun attack (this gun is hilarity on NEOS and in any situation where someone is flying a VS over a gap), shotgun 2 stand-up stagger and others can help out. There isn't much you can do about faction matches. But if you're running in a minority faction the lopsidedness is minimized via the coalition match. This week it's post grab too iirc (I've been doing ranked post grab).

Never had a match that canceled before it started though. Only situation has been host dropping, but even then I think I've only had 2 matches that ended prematurely to date.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Last night I started on Episode 5 but wound up marathoning through to the end of the game with a couple of cool guys who joined in before I started. There are a lot of impressive setpieces in just those last two episodes alone - seriously good stuff. I'm not quite sure yet if I want to keep this now or wait for a price drop sometime in the future, but LP2 just got added to my "to-get" list.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also, if you're doing 3-3 solo, remember exactly one thing. You CANNOT be killed if you stay inside the train and constantly repair it. The bump attacks don't knock you off, and if you're in one of the side turrets, you can easily kill ALL of the eyes with no help whatsoever. The only thing you need the main gun for is to rotate it so its facing backwards and fire the "one last shot" that kills Red Eye.

Just an addendum to this that you never even have to turn or fire that main gun to kill the Red Eye. I followed the advice of just staying inside and using the side turrets and repairing the train when necessary and I beat Red Eye just using the side turrets. He'll eventually die after shooting all those weak points on either side of him and when those are gone just blasting at his mouth. I was playing solo as well.

So yes there really is NO reason to go up top at all if you're just trying to beat it and move on.

Allforce on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, I'm liking what little I played offline and hating what little I played online. Are there any dress-up goodies I can only get online?

Please say mais non.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've been trying to unlock Spark Grenades and so far I just got to the high roller slot machines and now unlocking costume pieces from other factions that I haven't played at 10000 credits a piece. Do I really have unlock all the costumes pieces first before getting access to roll for this weapon? :(

RoriProfessor on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So, I'm liking what little I played offline and hating what little I played online. Are there any dress-up goodies I can only get online?

Please say mais non.

Pretty much everything can be unlocked by purchasing on the slot machine or leveling up. If you want to grind, your best choice is level 5-3 with one or two people helping you.

So basically, mais non.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've been trying to unlock Spark Grenades and so far I just got to the high roller slot machines and now unlocking costume pieces from other factions that I haven't played at 10000 credits a piece. Do I really have unlock all the costumes pieces first before getting access to roll for this weapon? :(

it's pretty random

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just picked this game up today and sorely want to play with cool peeps. Is there a metatag, and if not add Boceifus to your friends list for shooting bugs.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, am I right in thinking that Lost Planet 2 is basically Monster Hunter: The TPS?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Just picked this game up today and sorely want to play with cool peeps. Is there a metatag, and if not add Boceifus to your friends list for shooting bugs.

I don't think there's a metatag for this game. or at least not as far as I know.

I actually did a few chapters in multiplayer today though... only 300+ more areas to go. *sigh*

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I'm usually on for weekends in the afternoon, Pacific time. PSN: manwiththegun
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So, am I right in thinking that Lost Planet 2 is basically Monster Hunter: The TPS?

Sort of, especially in the sense it will take you a pretty long time to unlock everything without 5-3 farming. I still haven't hit halfway for anything, that includes emotes, names, weapons or abilities. However, I still have a crap ton of stuff to customize my character.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Please say mais non.

Pretty much everything can be unlocked by purchasing on the slot machine or leveling up. If you want to grind, your best choice is level 5-3 with one or two people helping you.

So basically, mais non.

Tres bien, bitchez!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Got my copy today for PS3, its time to shoot some very large things.
    -after I learn the controls-

Controls are taking a bit to get used to. mostly evade being L3+jump is a bit strange, but so far its been good joining completely random people for these chapters. takes a bit of time to get into a chapter you want to play, even when making my own and waiting for it fill up.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    3-1 was all out insanity. was in two games where none of us knew what was going on. some accidental falling deaths then a huge wipe to the Bgauge when a train section went with 3 people on it.

then I get in a game with all Japanese players who seem to have it down to a science (I just made sure not to die or screw up shooting the yellow release cans)
    =====

There is nothing in the select menu about what you need to do to hold off the Cat-G. if the Japanese players didn't shoot the yellow can things I would of never known.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Rubycat wrote: »
    3-1 was all out insanity. was in two games where none of us knew what was going on. some accidental falling deaths then a huge wipe to the Bgauge when a train section went with 3 people on it.

then I get in a game with all Japanese players who seem to have it down to a science (I just made sure not to die or screw up shooting the yellow release cans)
    =====

There is nothing in the select menu about what you need to do to hold off the Cat-G. if the Japanese players didn't shoot the yellow can things I would of never known.

Protip, those red beacon things on the side of the barrels can be blown off. If you time it when Red Eye charges the train, you can break it and blow the shit out of him Jaws style. That's in addition to just shooting him of course.

3-3 is where the fun really begins. :P

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I'm assuming that this will not get a PC release, correct?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So I'm assuming that this will not get a PC release, correct?

It looks that way. I can't see how it would control on a keyboard, to be honest.

I just bought the full game today after fooling around in the multiplayer demo. I look forward to doing the campaign. :P

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Here's a video of support attacks, which I had no idea was in the game.

Basically equip your shield/injection gun/VDevice, press Start + Select/Back and have your teammates with at least 2000 TENG press O/B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxmYj5uQE08&feature=watch_response

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49i0tt0_3_k

RoriProfessor on
  • Options
    infernoviainfernovia Registered User regular
    Hey, not sure if it's the proper place to put this but:

One more needed for a 4 player Lost Planet 2 [PC].

Conditions:
    Unspoiled (mostly).
    Hardest Difficulty.
    Friendly Fire on.

Usual time of play is friday/saturday night for US (12ish EST) or saturday/sunday morning for Europe (8ish in germany). If you have some other timing requirements, we might be able to work it out as long as it's not in the weekdays.