I'm sorry, it couldn't be helped

You know what must be done. No jury will convict you

desu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad0hL0bRVWY

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I have a confession to make

I'm a weeaboo again

desu

What'd you get involved with this time?

Show us in this figurine collection who the harem is.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I want a 1300 Ah battery. :(

Yeah, that'd be really insanely huge, decent car batteries are like 30

it was a typo! >.<

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

I'm a weeaboo again

desu

Killing you wouldn't actually teach you anything though. Perhaps a 90 day tour to Iran

the bad part

the muslimy part.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

Yeah, that'd be really insanely huge, decent car batteries are like 30

Solar panels use batteries of that magnitude, I think.
    ... I also want at least one (1) solar panel.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    i basically only get angry at niche nerds if they are unpleasant. if they're a little bit oblivious and consumed by their thing i might find them kind of lame? i suppose i wouldn't enjoy speaking with them. but i don't really dislike them. i just prefer a more rounded person.

i'm only going to have aggressive feelings of dislike if they're the special breed of domineering, rude, resentful nerd. i find that is a pretty small minority, though.

i feel sort of weirdly patriarchal to, like, the young nerds i see bumping around boston from time to time or especially around pax time

like i am kind of seized with this sense that they are making some bad decisions and limiting themselves and i find myself embarrassed for them

i am like

"take a shower! learn some things that maybe girls are interested in! maybe put more effort into combing your hair than your exquisitely documented rpg setting!"

my orientation towards them is definitely not anger or even dislike (though tbh i really don't want to spend time with them). i just feel kind of bad for them.

now dudes my age who are still going strong with that sort of thing i am a lot more judgy about.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

The Lola Drayson B12 has cutting edge battery tech built into its structure and its battery capacity is 40Ah

If they could increase that by a factor of 32 I think they'd be on for a crack at Le Mans

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    but wat are girls interested in

pokemon...?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    it is pretty cool how it seems like my body knows its water needs even without 'thirst'

sometimes i will take a sip of water and my mouth will feel perfectly fine- not dry at all. but my brain is like, don't putthis bottle down, gulp some more

then magically a minute later i just feel 'better' overall

But that's thirst. Did I learn thirst wrong?

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Eddy wrote: »

pokemon...?

only if you're spelling out pokemon names with your tongue on their clits.

Ludious on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I am unsurprised, but a little depressed, that the something store seems to be a waste of money.

if the reports of people receiving empty envelopes and paperclips are correct, the site straight-up lies about their business model.

Seems to have been around for a while. Anyone here messed with it?

Tamin on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    4wHovwe.jpg?1

Disney has almost made me want to see this.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    @Organichu‌ so, speaking of water, have you heard about this one? Take your body weight and half it then drink that many ounces of water a day. It's supposed to help you shed all kinds of weight, my priest's wife is all over this concept and has been trying to sell me on it pretty hard.

I figure it's more about allowing water to take up space in your stomach constantly than the amount of water, but I'm not sure. I'm also leery since you can drink enough water to kill yourself...granted, that's a lot of water, and I don't weigh ~that~ much ffs.

Kinda makes sense, you're supposed to drink 8 glasses of water a day or something like that, it works out to about half the bodyweight in ounces for an "ideal weight" lady of average height.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @spool32 what was the name of the book we recently read about diet and health that sort of gave the cliff notes version of current scientific thinking?

It was called Fat Chance

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @Organichu‌ so, speaking of water, have you heard about this one? Take your body weight and half it then drink that many ounces of water a day. It's supposed to help you shed all kinds of weight, my priest's wife is all over this concept and has been trying to sell me on it pretty hard.

I figure it's more about allowing water to take up space in your stomach constantly than the amount of water, but I'm not sure. I'm also leery since you can drink enough water to kill yourself...granted, that's a lot of water, and I don't weigh ~that~ much ffs.

I think the common recommendation is 64oz fluid/day

half a person's bodyweight sounds like a lot

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    the fastest way to lose weight barring amputation is to stop drinking water entirely

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Angelina Jolie is still a firm supporter of DSL I see.

Ludious on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ok so after pages of weird back and forth: the reason i am staying away from starches (and sugar) is because regardless of anything else, they make me eat more. if i order a general tso's platter- with the hfcs in the sauce, with the breading on the chicken, with the big serving of fried rice- i am going to clean my plate. it is profoundly satisfying. i fantasize about it, sometimes. then let's say i order the garlic chicken with no rice. it comes with broccoli. there is a bit of cornstarch in the garlic sauce but otherwise it is basically no carbs. i might be able to finish just the chicken. caloric content: less than a quarter of the previous meal.

starches are addictive and they make me eat more. maybe i could order general tso's and eat just a quarter of it. sure. but i would be insanely hungry and i would probably fold. making good decisions is more involved than 'just try really hard, it's all down to your choices'. why wouldn't you set up your life so those choices are easier? hey, i have a rage disorder and also i'm extremely drunk. i'm gonna hold this gun in my hand in times square. i mean, i can always just choose not to kill these people. ultimately, it's on me.

or i could just not be holding a gun while drunk and enraged. that seems like i'm setting my life up for me to make better decisions, even if it neatly sidesteps this weird self-flagellating, almost religious smugness about 'willpower'.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    It is a safe bet in general that I am not talking amputation when referring to losing a dick.

uh hrmm

getting an erection and running into a wall really fast so it inverts?

thats how it works right
    speaking of erections and surgery were you here the other night when I looked up sra? You are advised not to think sexy thoughts after surgery because increased blood flow can bust stitches.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

pokemon...?

fairy types

girls are interested in fairy types

tell them about your spritzee

• Options
    the fastest way to lose weight barring amputation is to stop drinking water entirely

you wrassled? I hear the great lakes region is big on that

• Options
    It is a safe bet in general that I am not talking amputation when referring to losing a dick.

uh hrmm

getting an erection and running into a wall really fast so it inverts?

thats how it works right
    speaking of erections and surgery were you here the other night when I looked up sra? You are advised not to think sexy thoughts after surgery because increased blood flow can bust stitches.

yeah

the most catholic of surgeries

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

I'm a weeaboo again

desu

Killing you wouldn't actually teach you anything though. Perhaps a 90 day tour to Iran

the bad part

the muslimy part.

:\

I'm a weeaboo again

desu

What'd you get involved with this time?

Show us in this figurine collection who the harem is.

Look haters are going to hate. I embrace my pariah status.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

you wrassled? I hear the great lakes region is big on that

no I knew some though

I am weak baby

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    thoma that poster is gorgeous damn

still probably won't see it but wow

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

pokemon...?
    My research indicates yes.

Like I think every chat girl with a 3ds has pokemon.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    This reminds me of my first composition class back in college where I had spent the last three years of high school learning the myriad intricacies of notational formatting. After our first assignment was given out, a classmate asked, "Do you prefer MLA or Chicago style format?" The professor was all, "I have no idea what that is. Write me a paper. None of that shit is important."

Chicago is the one true style

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Willpower is god damned bullshit when it is 2am and there is a bag of cadbury mini eggs in front of you. Sugar is heroin.

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i basically only get angry at niche nerds if they are unpleasant. if they're a little bit oblivious and consumed by their thing i might find them kind of lame? i suppose i wouldn't enjoy speaking with them. but i don't really dislike them. i just prefer a more rounded person.

i'm only going to have aggressive feelings of dislike if they're the special breed of domineering, rude, resentful nerd. i find that is a pretty small minority, though.

i feel sort of weirdly patriarchal to, like, the young nerds i see bumping around boston from time to time or especially around pax time

like i am kind of seized with this sense that they are making some bad decisions and limiting themselves and i find myself embarrassed for them

i am like

"take a shower! learn some things that maybe girls are interested in! maybe put more effort into combing your hair than your exquisitely documented rpg setting!"

my orientation towards them is definitely not anger or even dislike (though tbh i really don't want to spend time with them). i just feel kind of bad for them.

now dudes my age who are still going strong with that sort of thing i am a lot more judgy about.

I have one of these living on my couch right now. It's sad...and highly annoying. Though more than the social nose-in-the-air about everything and the need to have a contrary opinion to anything I may like it's the sense of entitlement that kills me.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

is that why her cheeks look like that?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    PLA wrote: »
    it is pretty cool how it seems like my body knows its water needs even without 'thirst'

sometimes i will take a sip of water and my mouth will feel perfectly fine- not dry at all. but my brain is like, don't putthis bottle down, gulp some more

i always associated thirst with the actual mouthfeel sensation: dryness or gumminess or whatever. or extreme thirst when you put some water in your mouth and the tissue just sort of 'absorbs' it without you needing to swallow.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

is that why her cheeks look like that?

the constant vacuum has created dips in the tissue, yes.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Yeah. Looking at it, it's immediately clear it's a Disney film but you also have the striking picture of Angelina Jolie.

• Options
    those nerds are all one step away from eating a bullet or overdosing on something to end the misery of it all and MLP or whatever is the only thing that brings joy to their horrific existence

so Will wants them to die is what I'm getting at

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    confession: i have never played a pokemon game

i didn't have a gameboy growing up

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Yeah. Looking at it, it's immediately clear it's a Disney film but you also have the striking picture of Angelina Jolie.

The trailer was pretty well done as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »

i always associated thirst with the actual mouthfeel sensation: dryness or gumminess or whatever. or extreme thirst when you put some water in your mouth and the tissue just sort of 'absorbs' it without you needing to swallow.

I did as well but I am now afraid of being dehydrated

what if we were dehydrated all through our youth?!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    ok so after pages of weird back and forth: the reason i am staying away from starches (and sugar) is because regardless of anything else, they make me eat more. if i order a general tso's platter- with the hfcs in the sauce, with the breading on the chicken, with the big serving of fried rice- i am going to clean my plate. it is profoundly satisfying. i fantasize about it, sometimes. then let's say i order the garlic chicken with no rice. it comes with broccoli. there is a bit of cornstarch in the garlic sauce but otherwise it is basically no carbs. i might be able to finish just the chicken. caloric content: less than a quarter of the previous meal.

starches are addictive and they make me eat more. maybe i could order general tso's and eat just a quarter of it. sure. but i would be insanely hungry and i would probably fold. making good decisions is more involved than 'just try really hard, it's all down to your choices'. why wouldn't you set up your life so those choices are easier? hey, i have a rage disorder and also i'm extremely drunk. i'm gonna hold this gun in my hand in times square. i mean, i can always just choose not to kill these people. ultimately, it's on me.

or i could just not be holding a gun while drunk and enraged. that seems like i'm setting my life up for me to make better decisions, even if it neatly sidesteps this weird self-flagellating, almost religious smugness about 'willpower'.

thumbs up

it's easier to say no once, at the grocery store (or at the ordering counter)

than over and over again with that temptation in your fridge

• Options
    those nerds are all one step away from eating a bullet or overdosing on something to end the misery of it all and MLP or whatever is the only thing that brings joy to their horrific existence

so Will wants them to die is what I'm getting at

Sooooooo

what exactly is the moral dilemma again?

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    japan wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    the reason we're going to differ on this is that you refuse to accept that there is a dominant, mainstream culture that people will suffer socially if they refuse to engage with.

That's a little like saying that I refuse to accept gravity. I acknowledge that this is a thing that exists and will likely always exist in one form or another, I just don't deify it. The mainstream is not self-justifying, and refusal to see the mainstream or the status quo as self-justifying should not be confused with mindless contrarianism.

like it or not (and mostly i don't!) professional sports and how's the weather and the kids are great and my ski trip next week is general-purpose water-cooler conversation and my raid progress in WoW or your furry convention isn't.

like it or not (and mostly i do!) wearing a button-down shirt and chinos to the grocery store allows you to pass without much comment while wearing a cloak or utilikilt does not.

like, there is a set of social expectations that people generally conform to. it makes it possible to live with other people. literally everyone on the planet has some sort of unusual interest or hobby or trait or belief, but most of us understand that it's unusual and that the world as a whole will not bend to our demands.

so me personally, when the MIT intern starts banging on about her anime club and pony fandom? i try to engage with her as a person and ask some questions and be generous in my estimation. but, of course, her insistence on making this her thing is going to hurt her socially and probably professionally.

Positing that somebody's decisions will put them at a disadvantage, as an observation about the world, is different from the moral noncognitivist utterance, "Ew! My Little Pony!" (...assuming the factual accuracy of the positive statement in a given context. In this particular case, I don't challenge the factual accuracy, but similarly-structured arguments elsewhere are sometimes based on inaccurate claims of what is or is not status quo.)

To go from "Ew! My Little Pony!" to "Well, being a brony puts you at a social disadvantage" is a nonsequitur. That antecedent does not justify that precedent.

Not that the precedent requires justification. It's okay not to like things. If Swans dude hates the party and wants to go home, he can go home. That doesn't make him a better person, though. It just makes him an introvert.

what this sounds like is, in a nutshell:

feral: the mainstream shouldn't be dismissive of nerds and subcultures. it should be inclusive.

will: the mainstream isn't going to change. nerds and subculture types need to learn how to suck it up and engage with the world as it is

now, i personally don't find the act of grown-ups really enjoying my little pony immoral or anything. yes i think it's a little infantile and weird, but not that big a deal. what i find objectionable is people structuring their lives such that they demand to be dealt with solely on their own terms.

It really sounds like your problem is more with subject bores than non-mainstream interests per se

Like, that guy in the office whose only chat is about the emotional rollercoaster that is the premier league campaign of Aston Villa (with occasional forays into the moral failings and other general deficiencies of Birmingham City and their fans) is as mainstream as they come, but nobody wants to spend time with him

Polite social interaction generally requires that you find some common ground with the person you're engaging with, which doesn't have to be mainstream interest-specific, those are just topics with which it is likely you'll be able to do so relatively easily

sure i think that is exactly right. the point is, i think, it's important to establish mutual consideration rather than insist on your own way. i personally don't much care about pro sports and pay attention to local teams the bare minimum to be conversant. the reason that people bring up these "safe" watercooler topics is because it's a socially safe way of trying to establish some sort of social bond.

as an aside and appropos of nothing i think, i have an ASD friend who is a real smart guy - just knows loads of information about, like baseball and baseball history and music bands and their rotating members and a fair amount about movies and a lot of generally safe topics. but he's one of those guys you mentioned who just won't stop regurgitating facts until his victim has literally turned the other way and sometimes not even then. so he has this double-whammy of being able to initially engage with people about safe conversation topics and then the ability to completely bore and alienate them in short order without the ability to pick up social cues that they're horribly bored.

Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.