Options

Tiny [chat] is dreaming

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I drink enough diet soda each day to give a hundred elephants bladder cancer

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Commute is you-time. I love talking to +1s on the subway but I'll still be goddamned if I had to do it every day for a morning commute

oh btw Vanguard I bought this poetry book

I liked it

I've been meaning to read Reines. I have heard really nothing but good things, but I find that I barely have any time to read these days. Though I did just start Frank O'Hara's Poems Retrieved.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    The recommended amount of water is insane to begin with. It doesn't account for water in food IIRC.

yeah but it makes you pee like a hose and lets you pretend you're losing weight when your body dumps all that water in like 2 days

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I didn't think so, and I've tried explaining this to her, but her response is basically, "I get it, but I think it's weird."

Thoughts?

people need to be able to pursue hobbies and interests with their partners, and without

some people need more time alone than others

this is important time for you to get work done on a goal you have and she should respect that

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    confession: i have never played a pokemon game

i didn't have a gameboy growing up

It's okay, Gooey, me either *hugs*

You're a girl, you had a basket of those vinyl neon threads that you wove into bracelets for all of your friends and the boys you liked and your friends little siblings but NEVER ME

NEVER ME GOD DAMNIT WHY

YOU DON'T DESERVE A GAMEBOY.

i remember those flat thread things that you would weave into a square or whatever and then you could make the square twist and eventually you had an awesome keychain

i always wanted one

why must crafts be considered so girly

and why was i a slave to 5th grade social norms

:[

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    drinking a ton of water gives you many opportunities to leave your desk throughout the day hth

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    I heard there was talk of Japanese imperialism and came to laugh at the misconceptions

You are like 40 pages late though.

I was at the dentist

link?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Okay real life actual problem time

I write on the subway, on the way to work, on the way home

And when I say write, I mean I am currently in the process of writing a book that I have every intention of publishing (started September 2013, currently on my second round of edits)

My +1 got a new job to where our commutes suddenly overlap. I let her know, when she suggested that we could commute together, that I would prefer to not do that as that is really the only guaranteed time I have to work on this book.

She agreed then, but it has become kind of an issue lately.

Now, occasionally, I do join her for the commute, but I would say 4/5 days a week we commute separately for this reason.

Moving it around in the day is not really an option. Mornings are hectic and I often brave the morning to get us coffee, make breakfast, etc. Nights don't really work because we cook often and spend our evenings together. I usually have about an hour to myself, but this tends to be after 10PM when I am too exhausted to do anything like focus on the minutiae of language.

So, the question I have is, am I being selfish?

No. It' say thing you're committed to doing, and when you're done writing the book you can commute with her because you are not working.

Until you start the next one.

This is a time to ask her to be supportive rather than upset. Maybe the commute isn't the issue, and she doesn't believe in your project. That could be the genesis of your problem...

Well yeah it could be that.

It could also be the irrational feeling that if you're having "me" time that could be "us" time it's bad and how dare you. There are lots of people who think like this too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    Shivahn wrote: »
    It is a safe bet in general that I am not talking amputation when referring to losing a dick.

uh hrmm

getting an erection and running into a wall really fast so it inverts?

thats how it works right
    speaking of erections and surgery were you here the other night when I looked up sra? You are advised not to think sexy thoughts after surgery because increased blood flow can bust stitches.

Omg... how do you do that?

I get like million boners a day.

How does one keep that from happening?
    Presumably, "don't do this or your vagina will explode" is a good incentive.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

And when I say write, I mean I am currently in the process of writing a book that I have every intention of publishing (started September 2013, currently on my second round of edits)

My +1 got a new job to where our commutes suddenly overlap. I let her know, when she suggested that we could commute together, that I would prefer to not do that as that is really the only guaranteed time I have to work on this book.

Now, occasionally, I do join her for the commute, but I would say 4/5 days a week we commute separately for this reason.

Moving it around in the day is not really an option. Mornings are hectic and I often brave the morning to get us coffee, make breakfast, etc. Nights don't really work because we cook often and spend our evenings together. I usually have about an hour to myself, but this tends to be after 10PM when I am too exhausted to do anything like focus on the minutiae of language.

No. It' say thing you're committed to doing, and when you're done writing the book you can commute with her because you are not working.

This is a time to ask her to be supportive rather than upset. Maybe the commute isn't the issue, and she doesn't believe in your project. That could be the genesis of your problem...

And this is kind of where me thinking about this has led me.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i drink a lot of water per day. probably something like 100oz daily or more like ~160oz on days i exercise. makes me feel good. i never feel uncomfortably bloated or sick. works well for my body.

I've certainly never come close to topping out and I haven't been drinking enough lately so I'm with you

water makes me feel good and I'll be damned if the government is gonna keep me away from it

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular

Not even close to selfish.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also e gets rid of spontaneous erections.

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Why would you drink that much water? D:

Body mass might be higher, I don't know chu's weight. A 100 lb woman is going to need less than a 150 lb man is going to need less than me, and probably chu (I don't know his weight I hate asking about people's weights it feels mean even for me).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I didn't think so, and I've tried explaining this to her, but her response is basically, "I get it, but I think it's weird."

Thoughts?

It's work time. You are working.

Ask her if she'd rather you carve that two hours out of every evening you spend together. I bet you don't want to, but the choices are

1 not work on book
    2 cut existing time together to work on book
    3 keep commuting alone to work on book.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I heard there was talk of Japanese imperialism and came to laugh at the misconceptions

I was at the dentist

link?

Not sure it is worth linking.

Thom posted something and I did and it was over. Mostly telling the other guy he was wrong.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Variable wrote: »
    if Thanatos was here there'd be a big rant about how we don't need as much water as we're told, there's water in everything we eat, etc.

fucking water farmer propaganda

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    nerds suck fyi hth

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    It is a safe bet in general that I am not talking amputation when referring to losing a dick.

uh hrmm

thats how it works right
    speaking of erections and surgery were you here the other night when I looked up sra? You are advised not to think sexy thoughts after surgery because increased blood flow can bust stitches.

Presumably, "dno't do this or your vagina will explode" is good incentive.

This made me think of this for some reason

Tarot53e.jpg

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Oh hey Jan Brewer isn't gonna run for reelection.

sweet

• Options
    drinking a ton of water gives you many opportunities to leave your desk throughout the day hth

With enough fiber, it also helps you poop more too.

• Options

she's going to regret this when you're raking in tens of dollars from amazon sales >:[

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Time for some real talk about it with her then.

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    neither my wife nor i struggle with weight, but we just dont buy a lot of junk food regardless. no soda, no candy, no ice cream, no chips. (well, okay, we buy fritos but that's because life is meaningless without them)

i dont know where i'm going with this but i guess it is to say that i dont think we live especially "healthy" lifestyles. one of my friends commented the other day that my wife and i are "health food" nuts or whatever, and I don't think that's especially true? unless, being a health food nut means that you eat an apple or an orange instead of a bag of cheetos as a snack. i dunno. i feel normal?

This is one of those rare times when it really is that everybody else is crazy.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Oh hey Jan Brewer isn't gonna run for reelection.

sweet

Governor Arpaio here we come!!!

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    but wat are girls interested in

pokemon...?
    My research indicates yes.

Like I think every chat girl with a 3ds has pokemon.

I only got it cause it was free alright

I was originally going to pass because of the enormous time suck of my life that it inevitably represents

I haven't even started playing it yet...I need some time away from my 3DS after Bravely Default

Did you finish Bravely Default?

I've become quite annoyed with the story line as of Chapter 5.

Yeah i finished

You can breeze through the story line by turning off encounters and just bulldozing through (spoilers for post-ch5)
    all the the temples...over. and over. and over again. I'm not joking. No, there is no excuse for it. but it doesn't take much time if you're singlemindedly heading for the ending.

Or you can be the completionist whore I am and grind through all the asterisk bosses (over and over and over) for additional dialogue and character development.

DO NOT SKIP the vampire castle level though there is a lot of story hidden in there the first time you go through

Ch 6-8, the asterisk battles start showing up in groups. If you fancy a challenge and like the gameplay (which is what kept me hanging on through those final chapters), then go to town (on getting your ass kicked)

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

Body mass might be higher, I don't know chu's weight. A 100 lb woman is going to need less than a 150 lb man is going to need less than me, and probably chu (I don't know his weight I hate asking about people's weights it feels mean even for me).

Well, five litres are ok. But I feel, once you're over 10 litres... noooo...

• Options
    robert lustig had a comparison chart of how much sugar our children eat day to day going back to world war 2 I can't find atm, and it's fucking nuts

kids in the 1940s ate ~30g of sugar a day, today it's closer to 150g

• Options
    Also chemistry wise, water is great for converting fat into energy.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

uh hrmm

thats how it works right

Presumably, "dno't do this or your vagina will explode" is good incentive.

Right but... It's not like I control that so I assume other people don't?

Like I can just be sitting here working and thinking of nothing at all... and BAM bonertime.

All day errday.

Is that a thing people normall control?

• Options
    neither my wife nor i struggle with weight, but we just dont buy a lot of junk food regardless. no soda, no candy, no ice cream, no chips. (well, okay, we buy fritos but that's because life is meaningless without them)

i dont know where i'm going with this but i guess it is to say that i dont think we live especially "healthy" lifestyles. one of my friends commented the other day that my wife and i are "health food" nuts or whatever, and I don't think that's especially true? unless, being a health food nut means that you eat an apple or an orange instead of a bag of cheetos as a snack. i dunno. i feel normal?

I think you're a health FREAK

well i think that you're just a FREAK
    between the SHEETS

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    if Thanatos was here there'd be a big rant about how we don't need as much water as we're told, there's water in everything we eat, etc.

I thought the general consensus that was reached was "if you are thirsty, drink some water"

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Well, five litres are ok. But I feel, once you're over 10 litres... noooo...

according to wiki, healthy kidneys can process ~1 liter of water/hour

so taking into account the water you get from your food, that is an awful lot to drink

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Pony wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i basically only get angry at niche nerds if they are unpleasant. if they're a little bit oblivious and consumed by their thing i might find them kind of lame? i suppose i wouldn't enjoy speaking with them. but i don't really dislike them. i just prefer a more rounded person.

i'm only going to have aggressive feelings of dislike if they're the special breed of domineering, rude, resentful nerd. i find that is a pretty small minority, though.

i feel sort of weirdly patriarchal to, like, the young nerds i see bumping around boston from time to time or especially around pax time

like i am kind of seized with this sense that they are making some bad decisions and limiting themselves and i find myself embarrassed for them

i am like

"take a shower! learn some things that maybe girls are interested in! maybe put more effort into combing your hair than your exquisitely documented rpg setting!"

my orientation towards them is definitely not anger or even dislike (though tbh i really don't want to spend time with them). i just feel kind of bad for them.

now dudes my age who are still going strong with that sort of thing i am a lot more judgy about.

I understand a lot of this sentiment

although I have no patience for it anymore and I just remove myself from the social company and spaces those folks tend to occupy

I don't do conventions anymore, if I deign to go into a gaming or comic shop at all, it's an in and out affair to grab what I want and leave with speaking to as few people there as possible

I'm tired of trying to "mentor" these people and I honestly don't think my patriarchal attitude towards them is actually helpful to them in any meaningful way

so I just avoid them

I think it makes everyone happier, they don't want me around anyway

yeah i mean i do not engage them at all. i find them kind of insufferable to be around in the first place and like, i am positive that they feel they have zero commonality and nothing to learn from an old guy wearing a tie who doesn't even watch animes.

it's just sort of how i feel about them. i guess i don't even particularly express my views on it outside of this forum.

and although nerds are the ones that kind of stick out to me and that i'm more sympathetic with, i feel roughly the same way regarding most of the other hardcore self-isolating subcultures - the sj crusaders, the juggalos, hippies, pot culture people, evangelicals, music nerds, etc.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

it makes me feel good

when i was ~185lbs and running 50 miles a week i drank even more. probably averaged 1.5gallons per day, which is uh... just under 6 liters in germany land

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Also chemistry wise, water is great for converting fat into energy.

Yes, but more doesn't help more.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Also e gets rid of spontaneous erections.

I'm p sure e causes lots more erections.
    I know what you mean but e means nothing but ecstacy to me

• Options

I think you're a health FREAK

well i think that you're just a FREAK
    between the SHEETS

I've been known to let my FREAK flag fly

which can sometimes be uncomfortable especially when there are SHEETS involved

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I was at the dentist

link?

Not sure it is worth linking.

Thom posted something and I did and it was over. Mostly telling the other guy he was wrong.

but I want to seeeeee

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

I thought the general consensus that was reached was "if you are thirsty, drink some water"

woah woah woah woah woah woah woah

slow down

This discussion has been closed.