As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whomp! comic - ChicoBlue immortalizes Ronnie in a Bauhaus poster

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Boxcat! Pretty boxcat! Don't run into the mirror pretty box cat.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Switching gears:

12Bsy5U.jpg

Hmm, yes.

Yes, this is an acceptable appeasement,

Well done.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Switching gears:

12Bsy5U.jpg

"I heard my cat crying from the bathroom."

"At least he could wipe his tears."

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I wanted to relearn some Illustrator nonsense and I ended up making a weird Bauhaus Whomp! poster.

ROexUWB.jpg
    I guess the O might read a little bit like a Q. If you're a crazy. There's no Q in Whomp. C'mon, now. Oh god my graphic design skills are the rustiest/barely existent.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    sober me wil aprecite that

you are beautifyul man

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    have any of you had Tsukemen Ramen

it is

the

best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhSvFYa_lX4
    The noodles are served cold on the side, and the broth is extra hot and extra powerfully flavoured. You dunk those noodles in the broth and chow down. There's a place here in Vancouver that does it and oh man it's so good.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Tsukemen is great! There is a good place for it by the trainstation where I live, my favorite bit is that they have garlic presses and garlic at the table for you to use on the broth.

Also, most Tsukemen places around here, at least, when you are done with the noodles, upon request will add stuff to the broth to make it more like a soup you can drink down.

The. Best.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Hello anxiety thread

when I was washing my clothes I got some detergent on my hands, I washed it off but later I put my fingers in my mouth for reasons

am I going to die now?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Hello anxiety thread

when I was washing my clothes I got some detergent on my hands, I washed it off but later I put my fingers in my mouth for reasons

am I going to die now?

Yes.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Hello anxiety thread

am I going to die now?

Yup

best tell your loved ones

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    doing some late night tumblring

totally forgot that josh lesnick once drew smut with a startled Ronnie in the background

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    pics or it didn't happen

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    2014-03-17-Rhythm-of-the-Meat.jpg

alt text:
    Doc tells me that there is good news, however. My ankles have compressed with the mighty force equal to eons of subterranean pressure to have formed into what is known colloquially as ''bone diamond.'' Prized for its use in the creation of crude tools, prehistoric tribes were believed to have regularly poached rotund individuals.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't know whether to be happy or sad for Ronnie.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    oh, and if you don't recognize the song, here we are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_uSlEEPSk

just imagine a young ronnie spending an entire summer re-watching this movie, enthusiastically singing every song

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    have any of you had Tsukemen Ramen

it is

the

best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhSvFYa_lX4
    The noodles are served cold on the side, and the broth is extra hot and extra powerfully flavoured. You dunk those noodles in the broth and chow down. There's a place here in Vancouver that does it and oh man it's so good.

That actually looks real good.

There are so many garbage ramen places in LA, it's kind of distressing.

I mean, there a bunch of good ones

but a whole bunch of just inexcusably bad ones, too.

• Options
    Every time I am served ramen with a hardboiled egg, a little part of me dies.

• Options
    To be fair, that is basically the case with ramen in Japan too.

Stop by a random ramen joint driving around in Japan and you might have one of the tastiest cheap meals of your life or you might get a bland, stomach destroying travesty.

• Options
    isn't ramen in Japan technically considered 'Chinese food'? I'm betting that's kinda like our Taco Bell being 'Mexican food'

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    To be fair, that is basically the case with ramen in Japan too.

Stop by a random ramen joint driving around in Japan and you might have one of the tastiest cheap meals of your life or you might get a bland, stomach destroying travesty.

There weren't any real ramen specialty places near where I lived.

There was an adorable older couple with a restaurant 15 feet from my apartment that specialized in soba and udon.

I ate there a lot.

I miss it.

Edit: David Chang's story of the first ramen place he ever worked at in Japan is fuckin' heartbreaking.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    isn't ramen in Japan technically considered 'Chinese food'? I'm betting that's kinda like our Taco Bell being 'Mexican food'

No.

The noodle is Chinese, but ramen soup is 100% Japanese.

There are no "Chinese ramen" places.

Chinese ramen is a dry noodle.

sarukun on
  • Options

Not really. At one point its name was "chinese noodles", but these days nah. It's rendered in katakana though to show its foreign roots. At this point its basically considered Japanese food, just with foreign roots, to my knowledge.

• Options
    I have never, ever seen a Chinese restaurant of any kind serve lamian in broth.

The noodle-making technique of pulling the noodles to activate the glutens or whatever was imported, but there is a high degree of certainty that putting lamian in soup (generally pork-and-bonito broth) was invented in Japan.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    I have never, ever seen a Chinese restaurant of any kind serve lamian in broth.

The noodle-making technique of pulling the noodles to activate the glutens or whatever was imported, but there is a high degree of certainty that putting lamian in soup (generally pork-and-bonito broth) was invented in Japan.

Probably! The exact origins are uncertain but yeah, it's a Japanese dish. But there is definitely some Chinese involved in the history.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    i base my knowledge entirely off of Ramen Fighter Miki which is about a girl whose mother runs a Chinese ramen restaurant

and if that's not enough to base all of my cultural knowledge, then i don't want to live on this planet anymore

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options

Why...? It's delicious?

• Options

All this other stuff aside, Japan does have its own version of Taco Bell being "Mexican Food"

Which is to say, for the most part, Korean food, Chinese food, Indian food, etc, that is sold in restaurants in Japan has been tailored to the average Japanese taste, instead of being traditional, as only makes sense.

Which is why it is quite hard, for example, to find actually spicy Indian food in Japan. (Though there is plenty of delicious Indian food to be had.)

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Are bone diamonds better or worse than blood diamonds?

Who will play Ronnie in the movie about the bone diamonds?

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    In a fun bit of trivia, assuming Wikipedia can be trusted: "Ramen became popular in China, where it is known as rìshì lāmiàn (日式拉面, lit. "Japanese-style lamian")."

• Options
    BYToady wrote: »
    Are bone diamonds better or worse than blood diamonds?

Who will play Ronnie in the movie about the bone diamonds?

Leo again, but this time he'll win that oscar

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I wish it had been known as "American-style Ramen"

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    i base my knowledge entirely off of Ramen Fighter Miki which is about a girl whose mother runs a Chinese ramen restaurant

and if that's not enough to base all of my cultural knowledge, then i don't want to live on this planet anymore

I also really enjoyed that show.

• Options
    edited March 2014

Why...? It's delicious?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/03/the-food-lab-tonkotsu-ramen-part-how-to-make-ajitsuke-tamago-marinated-soft-boiled-eggs.html

Edit: David Chang slow-poaches his motherfuckers for 45 Goddamned minutes, but that's why he's David Chang and the rest of us are total scrubs.

http://momofukufor2.com/2010/01/slow-poached-eggs/

sarukun on
  • Options
    I like hard boiled eggs kinda, but I can see why someone wouldn't. The white is very bland and the yolk is very powerful

• Options

Why...? It's delicious?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/03/the-food-lab-tonkotsu-ramen-part-how-to-make-ajitsuke-tamago-marinated-soft-boiled-eggs.html

Hardboiled egg still beats no egg at all.

• Options
    edited March 2014

Why...? It's delicious?

Hardboiled egg still beats no egg at all.

Oh, no sir, I would rather have no egg.

Edit: It takes only the minutest bit of attention to do properly at the beginning of the day and then you can ice the fuckers for 24 hours and they remain excellent.

sarukun on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    See, I hate runny yokes.

So softboiled eggs would just be really offputting to me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well they don't really stay very runny once tossed in the hot ramen anyway.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    i was scared of runny yolks until i was like 28. now i've had so many runny yolk in my beard. that's basically the only reason i don't eat as many as i could

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    See, I hate runny yokes.

So softboiled eggs would just be really offputting to me.

The ideal ajitsuke tamago has a creamy yolk, not a runny yolk.

That is why David Chang cooks his eggs over 45 minutes. It is much easier to consistently produce a creamy yolk that is "just right" by cooking it that slowly.

This discussion has been closed.