As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Skippy you're a hodgeheg, not a hedgehog.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Given the complete failure of STEM to appeal to women everywhere, it would've been kinda good if we could've found a female role model to do Cosmos.

Keeley Hawes, say.

So in order to get Astronomy to appeal to women, they should have replaced the actual respected astronomer with an actress?

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Skippy you're a hodgeheg, not a hedgehog.

: (

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Since my company changed ownership we've moved further from "wear a shirt, I suppose?" to "wear clothes".

Mostly that's just a function of mirroring the practice of client's and brokers, though.

I'm not a suit fan, personally, mostly because I never know what to do with the jacket: too hot to wear indoors or in summer, doesn't cope well with being rolled up into a bag, not adequately weatherproof in winter so you need to have something practical and the jacket with you, etc.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    When my great grandpap was butchering festering cattle in the kill houses of New York he wore goddamn slacks no matter how much viscera and blood he was wading in.

Because it's about decorum!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Yesss suit chat

I need to buy suit and tires for car this weekend

My dollars :sweat:

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Deebaser wrote: »
    skippy wrote:
    deebs wrote:

"creativity" and "individualism" are really overrated.

I think the first isn't true at all

I think the market and businesses all value creativity and innovation

while businesses (and schools, in many ways) are set up to repress them

Businesses do not need a lot of creative people. They need a few creative people and a lot of people that swing the axes and do the work.

disagree

business A has a hr dept that follows existing policies/procedures like robots except for one person at the top who thinks about how things should change/be improved

business B has a hr dept full of people doing the actual work and considering how that work could be improved -- where could we cut tape, where could we change processes to better align with our goals, what could we try next to attract/retain/develop talent or whatever

business B has a competitive advantage

ooh ooh i know this one

business C is composed of individuals who refuse to be stifled and feel like things should be done their way -- these design guidelines are terrible i'm just going to make my part the way that it should be done. this policy doesn't make sense to me; i'm just going to ignore it. my boss wants me to work on project A but honestly i am way better suited and more interested on project B so that is what i am going to do.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    skippy wrote:
    deebs wrote:

Businesses do not need a lot of creative people. They need a few creative people and a lot of people that swing the axes and do the work.

disagree

business A has a hr dept that follows existing policies/procedures like robots except for one person at the top who thinks about how things should change/be improved

business B has a hr dept full of people doing the actual work and considering how that work could be improved -- where could we cut tape, where could we change processes to better align with our goals, what could we try next to attract/retain/develop talent or whatever

Oh yeah, well the rank and file at business B prioritized creativity over rule adherence and failed to document all these innovative changes, causing a lapse in compliance.

Also, my suit is laser proof and the floor is lava.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Any of you back Star Citizen?

I hadn't heard of it until the Kickstarter was over.

Haven't learned much about it yet either, although the promotional video looks pretty slick at a glance.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    nate silver organizes his books by color

natebookcase.jpeg

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Riose's voice trembled with indignation. "You mean that this art of his predicts that I would attack the Foundation and lose such and such a battle for such and such a reason? You are trying to say that I am a silly robot following a predetermined course into destruction."
    "No," replied the old patrician, sharply. "I have already said that the science had nothing to do with individual actions. It is the vaster background that has been foreseen."
    "Then we stand clasped tightly in the forcing hand of the Goddess of Historical Necessity."
    "Of Psychohistorical Necessity," prompted Barr, softly.
    "And if I exercise my prerogative of freewill? If I choose to attack next year, or not to attack at all? How pliable is the Goddess? How resourceful?"
    Barr shrugged. "Attack now or never; with a single ship, or all the force in the Empire; by military force or economic pressure; by candid declaration of war or by treacherous ambush. Do whatever you wish in your fullest exercise of free will. You will still lose."
    "Because of Hari Seldon's dead hand?"
    "Because of the dead hand of the mathematics of human behavior that can neither be stopped, swerved, nor delayed."
    The two faced each other in deadlock, until the general stepped back.
    He said simply, "I'll take that challenge. It's a dead hand against a living will."

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    because even poor, pig-ignorant fruit pickers knew that dressing to an occasion was respectful. because being unable to engage with society to social expectations was going to be limiting to them.
    Are we being ironic here?

not even a little bit

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Given the complete failure of STEM to appeal to women everywhere, it would've been kinda good if we could've found a female role model to do Cosmos.

Keeley Hawes, say.

So in order to get Astronomy to appeal to women, they should have replaced the actual respected astronomer with an actress?

I think a better idea is do one of the cartoons or part of an episode on Rachel Carson or someone similar. The narrator is just the story teller the heroes are the folks doing the science and the science itself and that is how it should be presented.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »

natebookcase.jpeg

this is a really dumb and nonsensical thing to do if you ever want to actually find a book you're looking for

geez nate silver

what an idiot

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    Yesss suit chat

why does your car need a suit

does it have a job interview

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »

natebookcase.jpeg

this is a really dumb and nonsensical thing to do if you ever want to actually find a book you're looking for

geez nate silver

what an idiot

Not if you remember what color it is.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    That photo is not at all typical of the era.

It definitely was not a Thing(tm) for blue collar workers to wear ties and vests to a factory floor in the 1920s.

My guess is that either that workplace environment was unusual or (more likely) the workers were told by management to dress up for photo day.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    skippy wrote:
    deebs wrote:

disagree

ooh ooh i know this one

business C is composed of individuals who refuse to be stifled and feel like things should be done their way -- these design guidelines are terrible i'm just going to make my part the way that it should be done. this policy doesn't make sense to me; i'm just going to ignore it. my boss wants me to work on project A but honestly i am way better suited and more interested on project B so that is what i am going to do.

Also known as ion storm.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    wait, hold on

are we saying i should or should not wear pirate boots with a suit

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    THE FLOOR IS LAVA

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    skippy wrote:
    deebs wrote:

disagree

Oh yeah, well the rank and file at business B prioritized creativity over rule adherence and failed to document all these innovative changes, causing a lapse in compliance.

OH YEAH WELL

• Options
    ooh ooh i know this one

I just got flashbacks

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    wait, hold on

are we saying i should or should not wear pirate boots with a suit

Only if the suit is composed of breeches and a frock coat

• Options
    skippy wrote:
    deebs wrote:

disagree

ooh ooh i know this one

business B is still winning IN YOUR FACE BUSINESSES A AND C

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Keeley Hawes, say.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a charismatic, compelling individual who runs the Hayden planetarium, has written ten books making astrophysics accessible to the masses, and really enjoys reaching out to younger people as seen on his repeated visits to the daily show / Colbert.

Oh... He also has a super heartwarming story involving the original host of the show, and is a major part of the reason the show even exists (he lobbied Seth to bring it to his guys at Fox).

There is nobody else in the world I would want to see hosting this thing; ESPECIALLY if it were to try and promote some kind of social change at the expense of having a real scientist at the helm. He is pretty much the perfect guy for the part.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    suit talk makes me want to go out and buy one of these right now

dwwuIN8.png

• Options
    because even poor, pig-ignorant fruit pickers knew that dressing to an occasion was respectful. because being unable to engage with society to social expectations was going to be limiting to them.
    Are we being ironic here?

not even a little bit

Real talk. It's kinda offensive as the child of migrant workers to hear you imply that foreigners should face pressure to assimilate to the dominant cultures standards to be able to feed their families.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    THE FLOOR IS LAVA

Nooooooo!

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    THE FLOOR IS LAVA

This didn't work out well in Adventure Time

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014

Keeley Hawes, say.

Like, 5 years ago it would've been great to get Sally Ride to do it.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    skippy wrote:
    deebs wrote:

disagree

OH YEAH WELL
    Roy+Hibbert+Dunks+On+Ivan+Johnson.jpg

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Keeley Hawes, say.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a charismatic, compelling individual who runs the Hayden planetarium, has written ten books making astrophysics accessible to the masses, and really enjoys reaching out to younger people as seen on his repeated visits to the daily show / Colbert.

Oh... He also has a super heartwarming story involving the original host of the show, and is a major part of the reason the show even exists (he lobbied Seth to bring it to his guys at Fox).

There is nobody else in the world I would want to see hosting this thing; ESPECIALLY if it were to try and promote some kind of social change at the expense of having a real scientist at the helm. He is pretty much the perfect guy for the part.

Yeah but what if NDT also had a perfect pair of tits

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    skippy wrote:
    deebs wrote:

disagree

ooh ooh i know this one

Also known as ion storm.

Also known as Valve.

Functional anarchy ruled by the Newell.

gabe_newell.jpeg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Yesss suit chat

why does your car need a suit

does it have a job interview

Usually I am such an Oxford comma loyalist, too.

Anyway, maybe my car just wants to look sharp and respectable. (It is a portly little GTI so it will need the right cut to flatter its figure.)

• Options
    Like 'pig ignorant fruit pickers'

There's no good way to take that when your mom was a fruit picker.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

dwwuIN8.png

God. Damn. Hippies.

• Options

Keeley Hawes, say.

I think it's safe to say that astronauts know what they're talking about too.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    bonuhhfaahhhttsss

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »

dwwuIN8.png

God. Damn. Hippies.

Right?

Every right-thinking, red-blooded adult American male already has a closet full of ponchos.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Like 'pig ignorant fruit pickers'

There's no good way to take that when your mom was a fruit picker.

It's fine, they were lower class so obviously worse people. They should have cared more about profits and social norms if they wanted to be remembered well. Maybe they coulda even pulled themselves up by their bootstraps!

This discussion has been closed.