Options

Lush [chat]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I know that when I move to a new city, the first thing I do is lobby for an applebees to be built within 2 mi of my house

because you live in a food desert

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Some days I feel like the ACA should have just read "Employers may not provide heathcare as compensation, nor negotiate for it on behalf of their employees." It'd get real shitty for a while, though.

That would have led to the death and bankruptcies of thousands.

Yeah but we already had that.

Still do, honestly.

You misunderstand. That one line of legislation would have increased the number of deaths and bankruptcies tremendously. It may currently be a case, but that legislation would have made things catastrophically worse for a lot of people.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    People who don't get that describing jokes isn't funny at all are annoying.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I know that when I move to a new city, the first thing I do is lobby for an applebees to be built within 2 mi of my house

If you can't buy macaroni-stuffed sirloin and jalapeno poppers for $12 during happy hour, how are you even alive?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Population Density
    DFW 634/sq mi (245/km2)
    Chicagoland 1,318/sq mi (509/km2)
    LA 2,645.0/sq. mi. (1,024.7/km2)
    NY 1,876/sq mi (724/km2)

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Seriously, though, America saddens me often.

I drove by a Golden Corral last Sunday and people were waiting outside to get in.

:disappointed:

Atomika on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Eddy wrote: »
    blub blub don't bring your talents, experiences, and money to my area blub blub

I have empathy for the people who grew up in NYC their whole lives and are seeing super cool bookstores, boutiques, etc driven out

But at the same time we're all in the gutter of the universe, so

do you believe there is a correlation between transplants and the destruction of super cool bookstores and boutiques

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'transplants'. Gentrifiers/yuppies fall under that category, but so do non-rich people in search of better job opportunities; I guess the correlation, if there is any, depends on the ratio of these two

I used NYC specifically because the transfusion of talent and money in combination with the stratification of the US income gap is correlative to the closing of lots of manhattan's most storied/happening places, if only because rent goes up like crazy

Non-franchise places can't sustain high rents, and to an increasing degree neither can smaller franchises

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Seriously, though, America saddens me often.

I drove by a Golden Corral last Sunday and people were waiting outside to get in.

:disappointed:

BUT DALLAS ACTUALLY HAS SOME GOOD CUISINE

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Some days I feel like the ACA should have just read "Employers may not provide heathcare as compensation, nor negotiate for it on behalf of their employees." It'd get real shitty for a while, though.

Still do, honestly.

You misunderstand. That one line of legislation would have increased the number of deaths and bankruptcies tremendously. It may currently be a case, but that legislation would have made things catastrophically worse for a lot of people.

naw I get that. I was being a 'burn it all down' style asshole.

abolish the wage system, etc.

(no but seriously we actually should abolish the wage system)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

If you can't buy macaroni-stuffed sirloin and jalapeno poppers for $12 during happy hour, how are you even alive?

for a second there i thought that whole phrase was describing the poppers

like the poppers were sirloin and jalapeno

and stuffed with macaroni

and i was like damn

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I think if we had something like a 56 / 44 split in the Senate when Obama became president, the filibuster would be long gone by now. Since Democrats briefly had a filibuster-proof majority, it provided very strong motivation for each individual Democrat to keep the filibuster in place in order to maintain their position as THE SUPER MAGICAL DECIDING VOTE on any issue.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options

Still do, honestly.

naw I get that. I was being a 'burn it all down' style asshole.

abolish the wage system, etc.

(no but seriously we actually should abolish the wage system)

we have so many systems that need to be abolished that we really need to get somebody on it

work up workflow, write up some perfomance metrics, outsource it, pay them to do it

wage the abolish system

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Of course the bookstore thing might also be due to other technological factors, so that's a poor example I guess

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

and i was like damn

Macaroni cheese wrapped in meat, eh

If you go to a greggs in Scotland you can get a macaroni pie

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Cinders wrote: »
    BUT DALLAS ACTUALLY HAS SOME GOOD CUISINE

Yeah, but where else can you get unlimited food for $7.99 . . . . AND dip your hands in the germpool chocolate fountain?

Huh?

HUH?!

Atomika on
  • Options
    the macaroni is a little weird

but if somebody put steak in a jalapeno popper

i would eat that

fuck yeah

• Options

and i was like damn

You're probably not wrong, sadly.

• Options

Still do, honestly.

Which is how it would have solved the problem

burning the village to save it, etc.

• Options
    God chocolate fountains are the worst

Let's spray a blood warm solution of sugar and dairy fat through the air and keep it circulating for hours on end

I'm stunned nobody has contracted anything that's incubated in one of those

• Options
    I've never been to a Golden Corral so I needed to google that

they really have a chocolate fountain just chilling there for everybody like all day?

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggguuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhh

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I've never been to a Golden Corral so I needed to google that

they really have a chocolate fountain just chilling there for everybody like all day?

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggguuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhh

Don't forget the cheese fountain.

I'm not sure how that doesn't violate health codes.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    @21stCentury‌ I can't seem to connect to Steam

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i just remembered i have to fill 5 minutes of Skype with lil dicky

this has the potential to be super awkward if i don't prepare

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Also the chocolate is like 50% vegetable oil by volume to get the viscosity low enough that it doesn't clog

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

I have empathy for the people who grew up in NYC their whole lives and are seeing super cool bookstores, boutiques, etc driven out

do you believe there is a correlation between transplants and the destruction of super cool bookstores and boutiques

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'transplants'. Gentrifiers/yuppies fall under that category, but so do non-rich people in search of better job opportunities; I guess the correlation, if there is any, depends on the ratio of these two

I used NYC specifically because the transfusion of talent and money in combination with the stratification of the US income gap is correlative to the closing of lots of manhattan's most storied/happening places, if only because rent goes up like crazy

Non-franchise places can't sustain high rents, and to an increasing degree neither can smaller franchises

by transplants I mean, people who were not born in a city/state and then later move there

I do not think I follow this thread of logic

if I move from Portland to NYC for a job, it is not clear to me that my presence in the city contributes to gentrification, higher rents, or the closure of cool local businesses any more than a native new yorker's would

a positive amount of immigration to a city/state will bring more people vying for existing jobs, but also more people adding money to the local economy by either bringing jobs/money with them or creating new opportunities via new businesses or expansion of existing businesses to meet additional demand

?

• Options
    we have so many systems that need to be abolished that we really need to get somebody on it

First they came to abolish the patriarchy, but I did not speak out because I was not a patriarch

then they came to abolish the wage system, but I did not speak out because I was not a wage

then they came to abolish me, and there was no one left to speak for me

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    are yuppies disinterested in storied/culturally quirky businesses? it seems like local businesses could just raise prices to suit their richer clientele (thus paying higher rents)

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i just remembered i have to fill 5 minutes of Skype with lil dicky

this has the potential to be super awkward if i don't prepare

is

is this like a video sexting thing

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    0325-katy-perry-riff-raff-instagram-3.jpg

OMG THIS IS MY DREAM

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    i love you katy I'm you fans

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Basically, you are responsible for every Applebee's.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So, I have an acquaintance that is a professional cartoonist and they want to make a visual novel and that caught wind that I used to do programming, so now they want me to do the programming part of a visual novel.

Which should be really easy, I think, I think I learned enough in my high school programming classes to do something like that. On top of that, there is dedicated software for making visual novels (Ren'Py, Twine, are the two I am looking at right now.) I guess it depends on how complicated of a VN she wants.

Would any of you happen to know about making VNs and what software is worth using or have any advice? Going to be doing research today for the most part.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I think if we had something like a 56 / 44 split in the Senate when Obama became president, the filibuster would be long gone by now. Since Democrats briefly had a filibuster-proof majority, it provided very strong motivation for each individual Democrat to keep the filibuster in place in order to maintain their position as THE SUPER MAGICAL DECIDING VOTE on any issue.

You would be incorrect. There was never a functional filibuster-proof majority; Democrats like Ben Nelson, Blanche Lincoln, and Joe Lieberman constantly had to be begged to vote with the rest of the caucus. Many senior Democrats were convinced that the filibuster really wasn't that broken, and it took six years of Republican abuse thereof and quite a few people retiring to get 51 votes to throw out the filibuster for nominees to anything but the Supreme Court.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    man the sound design in ep 4 of hannibal is cacaphonic and unbearable, what the fuck

the show was so quiet and now this episode is a wall of unsubtle noise

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @Winky‌

Yeah, Steam was down... just got back for me, though.

• Options
    I love you katy i'm you fans

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

Everywhere cool gets ruined by someone.

Except in Mars Colony!

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    jake pls

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Woah! crazy papist spammer is sending PMs now. Neat.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    the_walking_disney___merida_by_kasami_sensei-d79q92u.jpg

yeaaah

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.