As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 BYOC Information & FAQ

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    MrFett21 wrote: »
    Awesome Trandescent, good to hear.

Anyway anyone have any tips or tricks for BYOC that they learned in the past that they would like to share with us first time BYOC people?

Look at the group seating chart before you go. If you are an looking for friends, find a group with an odd number and sit near it. If you are looking for unaffiliated people to just hang with find the largest space in the middle that is vacant and go there. If you are looking to be left alone so you can game seriously, go back to your hotel :)

• FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Dreamwish wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

The load in procedures have been finalized, and they will be the same as last year. For those of you that are new to BYOC, or may not remember them, here they are below.
    --- Unloading on Friday of PAX ---
    If you're travelling by car, pull in to the Westin/BCEC area at the base of the giant media wall. Follow this road (West Side Drive) all the way past the building, and down and back up the ramp. Keep following the road until you get to Level 1 Southwest. This will be the first glass vestibule you come to on your right hand side.

We will have signs posted where the load-in area will be and there will be a security station there that can hold your equipment for you while you park your car.

For those of you staying at the Westin, you've got a bit of a walk...sorry about that! Go straight from the skybridge connecting the Westin and the BCEC and down the escalator. Keep going the same direction through North Lobby and around the Northwest corner of the building. Keep following the hallway until you get to "Southwest Lobby B2". This will be the second lobby you come to, just past the food court. From there you can make use of either the escalator or elevator down to the PC Room level (Level 0).

Hope this helps. Looking forward to PAAAAAAAAAAAX!

I think I will be taking a Cab to the westin and take the sky bridge, I'm not really sure how to follow those other directions. Since its just for the first day its not really a big deal.

• TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    If you're taking a cab over, why not just skip the skybridge and walk around BCEC to the entrance? Or have the cab bring you to the dropoff point?

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
    Iim confused as to where the drop off point is.

• MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    If you're taking a cab over, why not just skip the skybridge and walk around BCEC to the entrance? Or have the cab bring you to the dropoff point?

That's if the cops/guards at the front aren't too busy mindlessly shouting at people outside to check your badge. They're usually in full crowd control mode by 8:30-9:00 out there, and don't listen. YMMV.

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • akiboshiakiboshi Registered User regular
    Why hasn't the maps and satellite images from last year been posted for this year? It really helps with showing where the drop off point is, etc.

If you are confused about where the drop off is look at the 2013 thread guys.

• MrFett21MrFett21 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    For those of you wondering how to get dropped off.

I made directions from google earth image, since the driving directions do not recognize the road around the BCEC on maps. It is really simple and here are the images I made as if you were driving coming from South Station. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

First Part (If coming down from South Station going in front of the main entrance:

ox77y8vkh9yz.jpg

Second Part:

spzbzv28as7t.jpg

Street View of Drop off:

73ugu1z5r8gu.jpg

I hope this helps :-D

After that if you keep following that road it spits you back out on the Main road (going around the entire building). Not sure where you park or anything as I am getting dropped off by my GF.

MrFett21 on
    I am still rather confused what should I tell the can driver to do?

• JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    FireWater wrote: »
    I am still rather confused what should I tell the can driver to do?

It's one way around the BCEC, just tell them to go to weston/bcec entrance and follow the road that goes around the BCEC. There are plenty of signs for you to be available to understand where to go/

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Tips if you haven't done BYOC before. Install your games before you leave, make sure you run updates right before you leave home. Big installers aren't going to work over the network at hotels or BCEC. TF2, Minecraft, L4D2, are good ones to bring because lots of folks have 'em. Any currently popular multiplayer games will probably show up. The internet inside the BYOC is throttled, so some shooters and MOBA's won't work well if the lag gets too bad. Things that have LAN mode are good to bring because it runs super great on a LAN-party setup. Bring a lock for your laptop, a network cable, maybe a long IEC cable.

• PoliticianPolitician Registered User regular
    Dreamwish wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

The load in procedures have been finalized, and they will be the same as last year. For those of you that are new to BYOC, or may not remember them, here they are below.
    --- Unloading on Friday of PAX ---

For those of you staying at the Westin, you've got a bit of a walk...sorry about that! Go straight from the skybridge connecting the Westin and the BCEC and down the escalator. Keep going the same direction through North Lobby and around the Northwest corner of the building. Keep following the hallway until you get to "Southwest Lobby B2". This will be the second lobby you come to, just past the food court. From there you can make use of either the escalator or elevator down to the PC Room level (Level 0).

Thank you. Will 2 wheeled hand trucks be allowed over the skybridge?

• DreamwishDreamwish Registered User regular
    Politician wrote: »

Thank you. Will 2 wheeled hand trucks be allowed over the skybridge?

I believe so, since those are the instructions given to us. @Vapok, do you know of anything to the contrary?

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Any idea when we find out if we qualified for the BenQ thing? I would love to not bring my monitor as it's ~$30 shipping each way but I have to ship it by Thursday to get it there in time via ground.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • shepdshepd Registered User regular
    Yes, I'd like to know as well. I don't want to bring my monitor, but unless I'm guaranteed to get one, I don't want to risk NOT bringing it. I will be arriving late so if it's first come first served, I'll have to assume I won't get one. :)

• taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    shepd wrote: »
    Yes, I'd like to know as well. I don't want to bring my monitor, but unless I'm guaranteed to get one, I don't want to risk NOT bringing it. I will be arriving late so if it's first come first served, I'll have to assume I won't get one. :)
    Any idea when we find out if we qualified for the BenQ thing? I would love to not bring my monitor as it's ~$30 shipping each way but I have to ship it by Thursday to get it there in time via ground.

You're reserving one, so as long as your reservation goes through and you're one of the first XXX (I'm checking on that) to register you'll have a monitor waiting for you. Don't worry about arriving late on Friday.

yBfDKg5.png
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    taumeson wrote: »
    You're reserving one, so as long as your reservation goes through and you're one of the first XXX (I'm checking on that) to register you'll have a monitor waiting for you. Don't worry about arriving late on Friday.

Oh sweet. So since I put my reservation in within 5 minutes of that e-mail coming out, I should be safe?

row1.pngrow2.png
    2014/04/01 at 21:00 UTC and all's well!

Plenty of monitors left. If you've reserved by now you're golden.

yBfDKg5.png
  • TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    Does anybody have any tips concerning SHIPPING a PC to the FedEx location inside the BCEC? What kind of hassle will it be actually getting the PC from the FedEx to the BYOC area? It doesn't open until 9AM, so the convention will be in full swing when I can finally get in there and get the PC.

• remotehumanremotehuman Boston, MARegistered User new member

What is this wonderful monitor rental from BenQ all about?

Also, is there any word on what official competitions that will be held, if any? I'm hoping for some CS:GO action.

• TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular

What is this wonderful monitor rental from BenQ all about?

Also, is there any word on what official competitions that will be held, if any? I'm hoping for some CS:GO action.
    Check your email -- they emailed all the BYOC people with special BYOC instructions yesterday. There is a link to request a monitor about halfway down the email.

• remotehumanremotehuman Boston, MARegistered User new member
    Thanks for that! The email answered my question about any tournaments as well.

Does anybody have any tips concerning SHIPPING a PC to the FedEx location inside the BCEC? What kind of hassle will it be actually getting the PC from the FedEx to the BYOC area? It doesn't open until 9AM, so the convention will be in full swing when I can finally get in there and get the PC.

Every exhibitor also uses that FedEx location. It's profound how busy/cluttered it is before, during, and after PAX. You'll be able to accomplish what you need to accomplish, but it's probably going to be a hassle. Getting it to PC from the FedEx office won't be that big of a deal. You'll have to hoof it around the corner and down 2/3 of the building.

yBfDKg5.png
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    One week til I leave. Finally warm enough to paint yesterday. ex40ku6n2wtm.jpg

p3HkbcM.png
    Regarding shipping to the convention center. It's a high capacity office, but there will be a bunch of vendors using it. I contacted my hotel concierge for my costume, and they'll hold a shipment for a week for only a $5 fee. So you might look into shipping to the hotel if you're not afraid to carry it or use a cab.

• itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    One week til I leave. Finally warm enough to paint yesterday.

Looking good! Can't wait to see it at PAX!

signature.png
  • d3c0yd3c0y Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I hope this doesn't break any forum rules or whatnot, but I am driving from NY to Boston and back 4/10-4/13. If anyone is wary about mailing their rig/monitor or transporting it themselves, I can help. I'm gutting out my CRV so there is plenty of space after I pack my desktop. I will provide my info (Home address, driver license, car plates, and BYOC badge ID) and anything else you'd want in person for safety. Honestly, nothing you can't just google lol

or.... You can just carpool with me if you want!!!

email me at unlucky777[a]gmail and we can work something out/

d3c0y on
  • DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room Deputy Registered User regular
    d3c0y wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't break any forum rules or whatnot, but I am driving from NY to Boston and back 4/10-4/13. If anyone is wary about mailing their rig/monitor or transporting it themselves, I can help. I'm gutting out my CRV so there is plenty of space after I pack my desktop. I will provide my info (Home address, driver license, car plates, and BYOC badge ID) and anything else you'd want in person for safety. Honestly, nothing you can't just google lol

or.... You can just carpool with me if you want!!!

email me at unlucky777[a]gmail and we can work something out/

Are you asking people to trust you with their computers when you use an email address that starts with "UNLUCKY", that seems risky to me.. :)

See everyone in a week!

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    edited April 2014
    They could always come with me lol. Been looking for carpoolers but the thread this year is pretty dead.

I just feel bad for people having to ship heavy rigs. I shudder to think what my fractal design XL would cost to ship...

d3c0y on
  • mijit88mijit88 Registered User regular

I submitted a couple days ago and was wondering if this is still true, or if we will get any confirmation?

mijit88 wrote: »

I submitted a couple days ago and was wondering if this is still true, or if we will get any confirmation?

No email confirmation, but we have a ton of monitors still available. Your email address was guessable and I see your reservation. For everybody else -- you're good. :)

yBfDKg5.png
    If we have purchased multiple BYOC, is it okay to re-submit the form for each of the attendees who want a monitor? I figure it must be, but I wanted to be sure.

Btw I never bothered to fix my email when I initially registered for BYOC. My pass got here safely but I have not been getting any email correspondence. Is it possible for someone to forward the Email regarding montitors to me? My email is unlucky777(a)gmail.

I don't know if this is covered but is it possible to reserve 2 monitors if you own 2 badges?

• MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    So not to sound negative or harp, but with the Westin bridge entrance closed in the morning, and the newly-instated bag check procedures, any chance we can get a solid confirmation on where we should show up to load in early if we're on foot? If they were surly in previous years, I fear this year might be the worst yet. Preparing the helicopter and rappelling line just in case.

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    Are there going to be water stations in BYOC this year? There have been in the past, but last year they were a bit iffy in terms of actually having water. In the past we've also been able to get hot water from the water stations. Any ideas if we'll be able to this year?

If not, are we allowed to bring electric kettles to heat water?

Somebody at some convention I went to built a computer where the front had a built in drip coffee maker in the case. Go for it.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I doubt that you will be permitted to bring in an electric kettle to byoc and hook it up.

Are there going to be water stations in BYOC this year?
    I have never seen them hand out bottled water or anything like that, but there are water fountains. No hot water though.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the water stations he is referring to are the water coolers that are throughout the bcec. They usually have a hot spigot and a cold spigot. I'm sure they'll be around, but no clue about byoc.

zerzhul wrote: »
    I doubt that you will be permitted to bring in an electric kettle to byoc and hook it up.

Oh I agree, I just found it funny, he had built it into the computer case, the case made the coffee :) I think I just had a great idea... A KEURIG CASE... PATENT PENDING :)

You can probably "get away" with bringing one of these with you and using it at a wall outlet near a seat while you wait a few minutes. Do not plug it in anywhere near BYOC as you would chance tripping the breaker and it is against the rules of BYOC.

http://www.amazon.com/Bush-CH-101-Energy-Saving-Immersion-Heater/dp/B003DLB5KW/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Make sure you learn how to properly use one before you use it.