As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Carpool lanes: literally the most important issue of our time!

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
Carpool lanes mostly don't work.

Literally the most important social issue of the 21st century! More important than the Ukraine! More important than global warming or illiteracy or AIDS!

"What do you mean carpool lanes don't work?"

Let me break down two key definitions:
What is a carpool lane?
What do we mean when we say a carpool (or HOV) lane is working?

1) What is a carpool lane?

This is the easy question. A carpool lane is more precisely referred to as an HOV (High-Occupancy Vehicle) lane - this is a lane of traffic (usually, but not always, the leftmost lane on a freeway) where it is illegal by threat of fine for an automobile to travel unless it contains a minimum number of occupants. Most HOV lanes require two-occupant vehicles; some HOV lanes require three-occupant vehicles.

For the purposes of this discussion, we're not talking about related but different restrictions, including toll lanes or HOV access for low-emissions vehicles.

2) What do we mean when we say an HOV lane is working?

This is the more complicated question. Short answer: the primary purpose of an HOV lane is to reduce air pollution. An HOV lane works if it decreases the total number of vehicles on the road over time. It does this by incentivizing carpooling behavior.

Consider the following: a three-lane northbound highway is congested during peak hours (0700-0900 and 1600-1800). The transit agency in control of that three-lane highway has determined that they can add one additional lane, bringing the total to four. Now they are deciding whether the new lane should be an HOV lane or a "normal" (mixed-flow) lane.

If we assume, as a null hypothesis, that an HOV lane does not incentivize carpooling behavior at all, then adding that lane as an HOV lane will be worse than adding a mixed-flow lane. Here's why:

- If the number of existing HOVs is less than 25% of the total vehicle traffic, then you've denied the benefit of an additional lane from the majority of drivers. This means that congestion on the remaining 3 lanes is higher than it would have been if you just added a regular mixed-flow lane. The faster traffic in the HOV lane does not constitute enough vehicles to balance out the increased emissions due to that congestion.

- If the number of existing HOVs is 25% or more of the total vehicle traffic, then the total carrying capacity of the freeway is unaffected. However, traffic has to filter between the HOV lanes and mixed-use lanes, which increases the total number of lane changes, thereby increasing congestion and reducing lane speed, which in turn increases emissions.

Therefore, for an HOV lane to work, it must incentivize carpooling behavior enough to balance out the increased congestion on the other lanes.

The empirical data shows that it doesn't. Usually. Mostly. In some cases it does, a little bit, but those cases are the minority.

If you'd like to read the data, here's a study by Berkeley researchers on the SF Bay Area and another from New Jersey.

Why don't HOV lanes (usually) work?

What the SF Bay Area study found was this: the time-savings of an HOV lane do not motivate enough people to carpool. Some people do convert from single-occupancy to carpooling, but not enough.

They do not go into the reasons for this, but it stands up to common sense.

Carpooling is inconvenient. Instead of driving from your home directly to your workplace, you must drive from your home, to your carpooling partner's home (or a carpool pickup location), to your carpool partner's workplace, and then to your workplace.

Carpooling itself adds a time burden due to these extra stops. It also adds uncertainty - what happens if your carpool partner is late?

Rather, most carpoolers already either live together, or work together, or both. The incentive for carpooling is primarily to save money, not time - if two spouses carpool to separate workplaces, they only need to maintain one car. If two coworkers carpool, they cut their fuel costs almost in half.

How can you make HOV lanes work?

A few ways, but the biggest one is through a combination of public transit and carpooling centers.

Basically, if the carpool driver can pick up all his passengers at a central location (a carpool center or a park-and-ride), and then drop his passengers off at transit stops that are convenient to his commute route, then you've eliminated most of the time-inconvenience of carpooling.

This can also foster a community of carpoolers, so if your driver calls in sick, or your passenger is running late, there are other people at the carpool center who can drive or ride.

The SF-Oakland Bay Bridge is one area where this approach was successful, mostly because SF already had an 'organic' casual carpool community in place before HOV lanes were added to the bridge.

Guess what that means? The answer to traffic is the same as it's always been:

Public transit, public transit, public transit!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
Feral on

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    As much as I am behind an overhaul and expansion of public transit in US cities, it's going to be even more of an uphill climb than before as trains/subways/lightrails/etc. are now beginning to be treated as a partisan issue.

Also, le gasp, taxes!!! Won't someone think of the job-creating baby jesus?

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is a thing in America, but in Norn Iron there are "Park and Ride" areas: You drive your car to these car parks situated along the roads to a city and can park there and take the Bus that comes along.

There are obvious risks, but if can shave the fuel you personally burn by a fair bit.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Personally having biked some last year, I'd love for more bike path's businesses to have shower facilities, absent that less idiots on the road through selective executions would be appreciated.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Not sure if this is a thing in America, but in Norn Iron there are "Park and Ride" areas: You drive your car to these car parks situated along the roads to a city and can park there and take the Bus that comes along.

There are obvious risks, but if can shave the fuel you personally burn by a fair bit.

We have those around here.

There's also talk of priority bus lanes down Broad St (basically the main thoroughfare in Richmond, VA).

And a wild idea about light rail, but that's probably never going to happen.

Did you know Richmond, VA, had the first electric trolley system in the US?

And then we dismantled it because the white people decided they'd rather live in the suburbs, and since, as a Commonwealth, our cities are not funded by the surrounding counties, well why in the world would they want to pay for an efficient transportation system only black and poor people use?

Virginia!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Seattle apparently had a really good public transit system once and then goodyear or another tire company was able to buy it out and dismantle it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Park and rides are fairly common in the US, but they're also not without their own problems.

The ideal Park & Ride is one that is more like a multipurpose transit center adjacent to a shopping mall, university, or some other city feature that people will want to head to anyway. Then as suburbs turn into exurbs, people taking the reverse commute will get off at the park and ride and walk to that mall/university/etc. Housing in such places will also be higher in demand, which means some people will end up living in walking distance from the park & ride. And it increases ridership on the buses that service that park & ride.

But that rarely happens because that land is expensive, and the usual short-term preference is to build the park & ride where land is cheap. If you're smart, you use tax incentives or permitting to incentivize businesses to move in next to the park & ride after it was built.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Having lived next to a park and ride and had my car and apartment broke into... I'm not hugely fond of the element they bring out.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm so glad the post ended with public transit because that's pretty much my take on it.

All the actual complications aside for carpooling, what about the culture / status-symbol built around car ownership in the country? Speaking as someone who is first generation born in America (out of both sides of the family), my family considers me insane for not owning a car nor wanting to own a car. They see it as a necessity, and have little in the way of real arguments against public transit. But I bring this up to point out another reason why people don't carpool; "I want to drive MY car and if I'm not driving MY car then what's the point of having it?" But there's no consideration of abandonment of owning a vehicle. Cars are something to show off and take pride in. Which would be fine if there wasn't like 2 or 3 per household.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Also, personal anecdote: I live about 1.5 miles from my office, and I usually walk into work, or take the bus if the weather's bad.

A while back I had to go to the head office in the US for a week. The hotel I was in was 0.5 miles from said office. Even better, right?

Thing is, the only way to get to the entrance is to cross a four-lane highway with no pedestrian features. Not the safest prospect.

So despite being in closer proximity to my destination, the local infrastructure choices meant I had to be in a motorvehicle if I wanted to get there safely.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    - If the number of existing HOVs is less than 25% of the total vehicle traffic, then you've denied the benefit of an additional lane from the majority of drivers. This means that congestion on the remaining 3 lanes is higher than it would have been if you just added a regular mixed-flow lane. The faster traffic in the HOV lane does not constitute enough vehicles to balance out the increased emissions due to that congestion.
    In Boston, and I assume in other places the HOV lane is actually cordoned off. In the morning its going into town, and in the evening vice versa. I would be difficult to do this with a normal lane I'd say.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    In Boston, and I assume in other places the HOV lane is actually cordoned off. In the morning its going into town, and in the evening vice versa. I would be difficult to do this with a normal lane I'd say.

We have that in Seattle, they're referred to as "express lanes" instead of HOV lanes though. They work okay. We also have HOV on-ramps -- standard traffic is supposed to wait through single-car traffic lights to enter the freeway/highway during peak congestion hours, but what it really means is that assholes without passengers just abuse the crap out of the HOV ramps.

• Options
    Well to be fair idiots in the Seattle area don't understand basic traffic laws at fucking all. Like everyone in bothell apparently believe 4 way stops mean "slow down and then drive through the intersection regardless of who got there first."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Also, personal anecdote: I live about 1.5 miles from my office, and I usually walk into work, or take the bus if the weather's bad.

A while back I had to go to the head office in the US for a week. The hotel I was in was 0.5 miles from said office. Even better, right?

Thing is, the only way to get to the entrance is to cross a four-lane highway with no pedestrian features. Not the safest prospect.

So despite being in closer proximity to my destination, the local infrastructure choices meant I had to be in a motorvehicle if I wanted to get there safely.

I've found this infuriating after our move from Hawaii. I used to cycle down to where my wife works, put my bike in her car, then go walking around until she got off work.

Over here I just rode with her since there's no way in Hell I'm going to try and cycle around this area. And when I walked off to try and get downtown I found myself virtually trapped in the area she works because there was literally no way to get in or out without jay walking across four to six lanes of traffic.

I honestly look forward to the day that car culture is relegated to hobbyists with too much money.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well to be fair idiots in the Seattle area don't understand basic traffic laws at fucking all. Like everyone in bothell apparently believe 4 way stops mean "slow down and then drive through the intersection regardless of who got there first."

they understand they are just raging assholes

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I live like 8 miles from my office because there's nowhere to live around my office unless you're wealthy or qualify for section 8

• Options

nobody understands 4-way stops they are like witchcraft to most people

• Options
    I do have to say for some pedestrians though, pick up the fucking pace. If you run to get to a cross walk to cross the street, do not fucking lolly gag once you get in the cross walk!

I do wish there were better designed roads and roadways and more people getting tickets for dangerous driving.

As far as carpool lanes I use them with my wife, but we live at the same location and only have the one car, so it just means a slightly slower fast lane with more assholes in SUVs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    You people with cars make me sick ;) . I use the bus everywhere I go in town, but it helps that I live in a medium to small city (233,000 in city, 568,000 metro area) which was rated at one of the top 3 system's in the US in 2012. It also helps that my employer subsidizes my yearly bus pass so it's only $24 (was free up to this year [Thanks Walker]). It's a great system, but it just doesn't run late enough for me since the last bus is a half hour before my shift ends so I end up having to get a ride which uses up all the gas I saved anyway.

• Options
    You people with functional and abundant public transportation make me sick jealous

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Chanus wrote: »

This is horrifyingly true.

On more than one occasion I've explained who yields to who at a four way stop.

And on more than one occasion I've had the reply "But if they're on my right then I'm on their right so that doesn't work."

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

And on more than one occasion I've had the reply "But if they're on my right then I'm on their right so that doesn't work."

i was gonna be all "who yields to whom" but then i read the last line and it's the far greater outrage here

it huuuuuuuurts

• Options
    Greater outrage is how I camouflage any mistakes I make.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

O_o

4 way stops.Counterclockwise when congested, first come first serve otherwise.

How is this witchcraft?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

O_o

How is this witchcraft?

America.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

How the fuck does one not understand a 4-way stop?

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    There is a four-way stop near my g/f'ss folk's neighborhood. The number of times I've seen assholes, almost always in luxury cars, blow by that intersection is deeply unsettling to think about. Samesies for people that attempt a "california roll" when it's congested. It's a friggin "STOP" sign people... STOP!

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

O_o

How is this witchcraft?

people are really dumb, synd

really dumb

• Options
    my favorite is the people who are like

well the guy across from me is going straight so that means i get to go straight too!

• Options
    and then almost slowly t-boning the guy making a left turn

• Options
    Thankfully most people around here understand a 4-way stop, it's the new fangled roundabout they have issues with

And don't get me started on pedestrians. Know how I said we are a city of 233,000 people? Well another 50k students show up in the fall and leave in the spring, and while they are here every single one will just step out into traffic without looking because "state law says cars have to yield to pedestrians at all times!" No, bitch, they only have to yield when you enter in a safe and legal manner. I can't tell you how many I've nearly clipped because they decided to in front of me while wearing all dark, non-reflective clothing.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    As much as I am behind an overhaul and expansion of public transit in US cities, it's going to be even more of an uphill climb than before as trains/subways/lightrails/etc. are now beginning to be treated as a partisan issue.

Also, le gasp, taxes!!! Won't someone think of the job-creating baby jesus?

Which is funny (in that special US politics way) because better public transit is really good for business.

• Options

well the guy across from me is going straight so that means i get to go straight too!

God damn do I hate this move so much. I also hate the "You didn't immediately start going when you got to the intersection its now my turn to go."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    Thankfully most people around here understand a 4-way stop, it's the new fangled roundabout they have issues with

And don't get me started on pedestrians. Know how I said we are a city of 233,000 people? Well another 50k students show up in the fall and leave in the spring, and while they are here every single one will just step out into traffic without looking because "state law says cars have to yield to pedestrians at all times!" No, bitch, they only have to yield when you enter in a safe and legal manner. I can't tell you how many I've nearly clipped because they decided to in front of me while wearing all dark, non-reflective clothing.

Do you live around the VCU campus in Richmond, VA, or are people just stupid and awful everywhere?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    There is a four-way stop near my g/f'ss folk's neighborhood. The number of times I've seen assholes, almost always in luxury cars, blow by that intersection is deeply unsettling to think about. Samesies for people that attempt a "california roll" when it's congested. It's a friggin "STOP" sign people... STOP!

Rolling stops be best for traffic yo. Full stop only needed when congestion is high at the intersection.

• Options

Do you live around the VCU campus in Richmond, VA, or are people just stupid and awful everywhere?

UW-Madison. Students are stupid everywhere. Every-Fucking-Where

• Options

No they are stupid assholes everywhere. Like people in store parking lots who walk diagonally across the road as slow as fucking possible.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

No they are stupid assholes everywhere. Like people in store parking lots who walk diagonally across the road as slow as fucking possible.

Or walk down the middle of the lane 2, 3, 4 or more abreast blocking everything.

And then they stop and talk

• Options

Or walk down the middle of the lane 2, 3, 4 or more abreast blocking everything.

And then they stop and talk

Walk talkers are bad, car talkers need to be drug out of their cars and executed in the streets.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Walk talkers are bad, car talkers need to be drug out of their cars and executed in the streets.

The other day I almost got hit by a shitheel that thought red light was for plebes. While talking on the phone.

If thoughts could kill, it'd take a week to clean that car.

• Options
    KroenenKroenen Registered User regular

and then almost slowly t-boning the guy making a left turn
    God damn do I hate this move so much.

Wait...huh? So...four people stop at an intersection at all four sides. One set of two directly across from each other wants to go straight, while the other two want to go left and right. If everyone is signaling, why wouldn't the two straight crossers go, the right turn clear itself and then the left turn go? Or, hell, right turn, double straight, left turn? Why is it rude for the second guy going straight to double clear the intersection with the first guy? The right move is to wait for the guy turning left to go, then 2nd straight goes, then right turn dude?

Sorry, I should make a diagram...

And it's a bit off of topic on carpooling. Boo.

To go back to carpooling...I hate it when there is no carpool lane and the slow packed cars are over in the left lane, blocking faster traffic flow. Left is fast and pass, not cruise with traffic lane.