Options

Gary Webcomics Thread, Featuring Gary. No Garyshaming.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    snip

two dudes make a webcomic about a girl gamer, prove to be hella transphobes, are hosted on the escapist

sounds about right

It's a shame that one has such a shitty tone, because "my preferred pronoun is motherfucker" is a joke that might have some legs

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I don't see how that comic is transphobic

It just seems like someone using that new tumblr feature in a stupid way?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    critical miss is written/drawn by two dudes if you care

i don't.

• Options
    listen, i'll let you guys know when something is transphobic, since apparently people seem to like championing what other people should be offended by.

:/

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    critical miss is written/drawn by two dudes if you care

i don't.
    yes we have all become quite familiar with the many, many things and people you don't care about

• Options
    Stopdointhis

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Yeah it's like... They could be transphobic?

But it's not like these very forums don't make plenty of fun of tumblr headspace/fur/kin/whatever people as well? Tumblr can be really really ripe for mockery!

And in the end the punchline is fine and doesn't find its humor through derision

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

it's dismissive of preferred pronouns as a concept

• Options
    imdointhis wrote: »
    listen, i'll let you guys know when something is transphobic, since apparently people seem to like championing what other people should be offended by.

:/

no one has ever once told you what you should be offended by

they've told you what they are offended by, and then you get defensive about it, every time, like clockwork

• Options
    Eeeeeh okay yeah I can see that

Like I feel like the joke go go ether way on it. Could be a stupid person using tumblr, could be something saying that pronouns are stupid

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    well that was fast

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2014
    We've had people on this very forum, trans people, say that they found X to be transphobic and offensive. You don't have to agree with that, but don't whine about people championing stuff when you're attempting to do the exact same thing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    cecf8af6c0733cef0235a63c3f7c0491.jpg

imdointhis on
  • Options
    something something candy crush something lawsuit something something something ruthless corporate operators

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    backgrounds are hard to draw, so don't

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Man I hate when my workplace blocks a URL so I can't see a comic. I really want to know what this Critical Miss comic had in it that started the discussion.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Man I hate when my workplace blocks a URL so I can't see a comic. I really want to know what this Critical Miss comic had in it that started the discussion.
    First panel: Lady on computer says "So according to tumblr, you're allowed to pick your own personal pronouns, or make some if you can't find any you like. I think they might be onto something here"
    Second panel: Same lady in an office, standing on desk: "Hear me office drones, I am Erin Stout. 27, Female, plural. I share my headspace with several fictives. My prefered pronoun is motherfucker"
    Third panel is two other people talking about her. "Have you seen Stout, I need that motherfucker to sign some insurance forms." Other guy says "Motherfucker's getting lunch."
    Fourth panel is her jumping through the window of a McDonalds that's exploding

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    My sister spent 2K of my parents money on Candy Cursh a little while ago... That was a fun weekend to be home.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Critical Miss is also the comic that compared Tumblr to Stormfront because asking people to keep their privilege in mind is basically the same as being a white supremacist.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    while that comic doesn't strike me as specifically transphobic, there's something weird about creating a differently-gendered character and then using that character to make statements about gender

also it doesn't seem like there's any particular reason the character is female? Not that the comic particularly bills itself as being semi-autobiographical a la Penny Arcade, but it still seems a little strange

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    My sister spent 2K of my parents money on Candy Cursh a little while ago... That was a fun weekend to be home.

wh-

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Critical Miss is also the comic that compared Tumblr to Stormfront because asking people to keep their privilege in mind is basically the same as being a white supremacist.

what

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I'm not familiar with the candy crush business model but like, how is that even possible

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

it's dismissive of preferred pronouns as a concept

If that's all you've got as proof of being "hella transphobes" then I'm not really sold

Having fun with the idea of preferred pronouns is not at all the same as being dismissive of it

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/685/685147.jpg

linking rather than posting because it's not a comic I enjoy/endorse

• Options
    685147.jpg

burn it all down

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    You know I am going on holiday for a week to Venice

and I am not going to have much internet access while I am away

but I am excited for when I come back and I can get a full dose of several archimes into my system all at once

maximum gary

• Options
    the weird thing about people who complain about tumblr is that the only way to see any sort of content on there, whether it is social justice stuff or neo-nazi stuff is to actually go looking for it

tumblr is not a site that randomly bombards you with harangues about privilege! you choose who you follow and what tags you track! if you don't like a particular person's views, unfollow them and you'll never see them again!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    You can find any old shit on Tumblr

go on google and search for anything you like with tumblr added at the end and it'll be there

probably several of them

• Options
    the weird thing about people who complain about tumblr is that the only way to see any sort of content on there, whether it is social justice stuff or neo-nazi stuff is to actually go looking for it

tumblr is not a site that randomly bombards you with harangues about privilege! you choose who you follow and what tags you track! if you don't like a particular person's views, unfollow them and you'll never see them again!

I feel like I give that speech about a lot of places on the internet

People just really like finding things to harumph over

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Kana wrote: »

ThisThread.TXT

8->

Fyndir on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I think most of the time, people just see screenshots of the worst stuff, and decide that's all of tumblr and never go there.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    You can find any old shit on Tumblr

go on google and search for anything you like with tumblr added at the end and it'll be there

probably several of them
    I did this

Who would have thought there was still a active metabots fan community

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

I feel like I give that speech about a lot of places on the internet

well if you compare it to Reddit

where basically all the default boards are wretched hives of scum and villany

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    mods please close this and every thread

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    tumblr_n48kfh9zSc1qz8z2ro1_500.png

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    685147.jpg

burn it all down

I basically get these jokes all the time in both ears about X, Y, or Z website/organization/whatever

doesn't make that comic any less stupid, but we're not talking LICD levels of casual assholery

the dichotomy of Acceptable/Basically Hitler isn't a super helpful one

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I find you to be acceptable and super helpful @dubh

• Options
    Dubh is the Hitler of fashion

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    frustration and anger is definitely a thing that minority groups should be expected to have, and are justified in having

but, man, it's been a big contribution to my exhaustion on civil rights politics and whatnot

and that anger is super tempting to fall into all the time for good reason

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.