As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

prime 2014 registration anticipation

• Options
    every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    Aressel wrote: »
    tea_bird wrote: »
    We're under 100 days until PAX! I'm feel in' it...

Well, 100 days and a few hours (the count down seems to go by your computer clock. I'm central time and it says 100 days 55 minutes)

Confirmed. I'm PST, and still have 100 days, 2 hours and 48 minutes on the timer.
    Horrors, a trap to confuse the unwary.... people who haven't yet set their computer clocks to PDT!

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    DanUNG wrote: »
    Some things to consider:
    • How does this help separate PA from PAX?
    • "Nice gestures" typically don't have the words "people will scream bloody murder if they find out" attached to them.
    • "Nice gestures" typically don't need to be lied about (See: "We will never admit to this perk"
    • If this hadn't leaked, it would have continued to PAX East

I'll counter with this. It was undoubtedly nice to the people who got it. So for it to be not nice overall, who was actually hurt? Was the number of tickets pre-sold to Club PA members larger than say waiting 5 seconds to refresh the site? I know a lot of people feel bad about this, I feel terrible. But only because I missed getting stress free access to tickets for $10.

• Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    And that there's no way tickets would ever go on sale before 9 AM Pacific

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    SilvertwinnSilvertwinn Going on 40. "Get off my lawn!"Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

No one knows that for sure. "No way" implies certainty. We all just have to be patient. :/

Silvertwinn on
  • Options
    XadrixnaXadrixna Registered User regular
    I think "being patient" went out the window about three weeks ago for most of us here... lol

• Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'm hoping that there weren't nearly as many tickets sold this way as I'd feared, but I am glad they limited it to one. And I also hope that hackers didn't take advantage and grab tons themselves.

Anyone who wasn't Club PA wouldn't have been able to get the tickets anyway. Unless they can hack themselves into the database of Club PA members. It specifically says in the email people have posted that they have to pick up the ticket at PAX and they have to show ID. If anyone non Club PA bought one, I'm sure they are going to be SOL because I'm sure they are checking on who bought them, just as they check if anyone suspiciously buys more then the max during regular sales and cancels all their tickets.

00Fayt00 on
  • Options
    CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    There is no patience. Only Soon.

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Some things to consider:
    • "Nice gestures" typically don't have the words "people will scream bloody murder if they find out" attached to them.
    • "Nice gestures" typically don't need to be lied about (See: "We will never admit to this perk"

I'll counter with this. It was undoubtedly nice to the people who got it. So for it to be not nice overall, who was actually hurt? Was the number of tickets pre-sold to Club PA members larger than say waiting 5 seconds to refresh the site? I know a lot of people feel bad about this, I feel terrible. But only because I missed getting stress free access to tickets for $10.

I would like to counter your counter!

Let's (reasonably) assume that the people in Club PA buying tickets are probably less than 300, and would have nabbed tickets anyways, right? So let's go off the completely rational idea that this barely, if at all, affects ticket availability for Prime 2014 and didn't directly drive up Club PA numbers. (If the exact number of Club PA members has been posted, I've missed it and feel free to correct me!)

So when I post about this, I'm basing my feelings and arguments on the fact that this whole thing contradicts the "We don't want PAX to be so PA-heavy" idea, and it requires an insane level of secrecy to even work.

Say this whole thing went off without a hitch. It was kept relatively secret, nobody found out, and hey it went pretty well...so let's do it again for East.

To do it again without the whole thing being blown:
    • Everyone who had access would have to keep it secret even AFTER they maybe stopped being Club PA members
    • The same bet you made on Prime Club PA members, you'd have to make again on an increased group (assuming membership went up between Prime and East)
    • The ever-expanding group of people "in the know" definitely wouldn't be telling their close friends, right?

And then say, almost impossibly, it goes well for East, too! Repeat the process until the probability of the secret getting out is 100% (up from a reasonably high...90%? 95%?). Imagine the outcry when this gets leaked out after one or two years of it happening.

The whole thing just comes across as a "nice gesture" that wasn't thought through.

• Options
    LetMeInLetMeIn Registered User regular
    so I just had a lovely scare I lost connection 3 times with cemeterylink.Had to reset each time got connection back for a few then lost again.I really hope that game stops because if it doosn't I might just die.If I lost connection again best of luck to you all and hope my phone can get me tickets

• Options
    shortnowshortnow Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    <FactCheck>
    Comments on the ClubPA special purchase only got rolling after page 91-ish. So, it's 90 pages of normal pre-badge purchase anxiety and anticipation.
    </FactCheck>
    Hingo wrote: »
    I got my one 4-day badge from being a Club PA member. Why didn't I run to the forums and gloat/post an image for ZOMG transparency!!11!!/whatever? Because in the email, Khoo asked us not to. I love PA, that's why I gave them my $30. I wasn't expecting this, and it was a nice surprise. That being said, I am 1000000% fine with them never doing anything like this again because any community larger than just your own internal friend group is going to be childish and assholes about any perceived special treatment, whine about favoritism, or complain about fairness. We have 94 pages of posts here that confirm that.

• Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I was really enjoying this thread and the solidarity it created while waiting for badges to go on sale. Not so much now.

Oh well. I'm off to work and won't be in the f5ing crowd today. Good luck if they go on sale.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    shortnow wrote: »
    <FactCheck>
    Comments on the ClubPA special purchase only got rolling after page 91-ish. So, it's 90 pages of normal pre-badge purchase anxiety and anticipation.
    </FactCheck>
    I got my one 4-day badge from being a Club PA member. Why didn't I run to the forums and gloat/post an image for ZOMG transparency!!11!!/whatever? Because in the email, Khoo asked us not to. I love PA, that's why I gave them my $30. I wasn't expecting this, and it was a nice surprise. That being said, I am 1000000% fine with them never doing anything like this again because any community larger than just your own internal friend group is going to be childish and assholes about any perceived special treatment, whine about favoritism, or complain about fairness. We have 94 pages of posts here that confirm that.
    I was (poorly) referencing the "fairness" debate that crops up every few pages on how ticket sales should be done.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I believe one year Apple put their developer conference tickets on sale at 5 AM Pacific.... and they sold out before most people on the west coast had woken up.
    I trust PAX will not do that... I think....

every day's great on
  • Options
    istoleyourfoodistoleyourfood Registered User regular
    I'm all caught up on episodes of Louie so badges may now go on sale. They have my permission.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Some things to consider:

I would like to counter your counter!
    Let's (reasonably) assume that the people in Club PA buying tickets are probably less than 300, and would have nabbed tickets anyways, right? So let's go off the completely rational idea that this barely, if at all, affects ticket availability for Prime 2014 and didn't directly drive up Club PA numbers. (If the exact number of Club PA members has been posted, I've missed it and feel free to correct me!)

So when I post about this, I'm basing my feelings and arguments on the fact that this whole thing contradicts the "We don't want PAX to be so PA-heavy" idea, and it requires an insane level of secrecy to even work.

Say this whole thing went off without a hitch. It was kept relatively secret, nobody found out, and hey it went pretty well...so let's do it again for East.

To do it again without the whole thing being blown:
    • Everyone who had access would have to keep it secret even AFTER they maybe stopped being Club PA members
    • The same bet you made on Prime Club PA members, you'd have to make again on an increased group (assuming membership went up between Prime and East)
    • The ever-expanding group of people "in the know" definitely wouldn't be telling their close friends, right?

And then say, almost impossibly, it goes well for East, too! Repeat the process until the probability of the secret getting out is 100% (up from a reasonably high...90%? 95%?). Imagine the outcry when this gets leaked out after one or two years of it happening.
    [/spoiler]
    The whole thing just comes across as a "nice gesture" that wasn't thought through.

I almost totally agree. This was poorly implemented. But I think the only people who got potentially hurt were the ones who wanted East badges and not Prime. But even then, they could still get them badges since they know who was in Club PA before this went public. So even though it probably could have been done better, I don't see it as an actual problem.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    Smudge2626Smudge2626 Registered User regular
    I hope PA covered all their bases between the special Club PA sale and ShowClix. I wouldn't be surprised if their agreement says PA can't sell badges directly or through another party. Imagine the furor for Club PA members that purchased badges to have them canceled because of a clause like that.

• Options
    Because of previous ticket sale times, I am now afraid to go to the bathroom on the hour :-(

Pins for trade!
  • Options
    FidchelFidchel Registered User regular
    Today's thoughts:

"Are tickets on sale yet? No. Where can I find a giant stuffed cow? Are tickets on sale yet? No. I should fold laundry. Are tickets on sale yet? No. Do I have enough time before tickets go on sale to go grab some lunch? Or buy a stuffed cow? Nah. Are tickets on sale yet?"

PAX Prime 2012 (Pin-Up Gardener Poison Ivy)
    PAX Prime 2013 (Bollywood Black Mage)
    PAX Prime 2014 (Renaissance Lady Link)
  • Options
    East badges are not even half as hard to get

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    tea_birdtea_bird Tequila Se'lai Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm gonna try and convince a co-worker to pick up my lunch today because I would be heartbroken if the sales opened when I was walking down the street.

Twitter: @tea_bird
  • Options
    Smudge2626 wrote: »
    I hope PA covered all their bases between the special Club PA sale and ShowClix. I wouldn't be surprised if their agreement says PA can't sell badges directly or through another party. Imagine the furor for Club PA members that purchased badges to have them canceled because of a clause like that.

Robert Khoo is not an idiot.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    [Brain wakes up absurdly early due to paxticipation.]
    Yes, the 100:00:00:00 thing does seem like as good a theory as any!!
    (With the supposed e-mail to pax dev being a strong second.)
    That would make it very... dare I say it... SOON. :cold_sweat:

I'm seriously hoping it's today. If it's tomorrow or Friday I'm gonna miss out because of work! D=

Yes, if I have been F5ing since the week after PAX East, and they go on sale tomorrow or Friday, going to be very disappointed. Hoping not Friday because of the long weekend, and not tomorrow, just in case there is an issue so it doesn't cause an issue with anyone's long weekend. See, I have it all figured out why it has to be today.

• Options
    Because of previous ticket sale times, I am now afraid to go to the bathroom on the hour :-(
    I go at 1/4 till the hour, if I need to or not. Because last time I was in a queue for 2 hours.

• Options
    Fidchel wrote: »
    Today's thoughts:

"Are tickets on sale yet? No. Where can I find a giant stuffed cow? Are tickets on sale yet? No. I should fold laundry. Are tickets on sale yet? No. Do I have enough time before tickets go on sale to go grab some lunch? Or buy a stuffed cow? Nah. Are tickets on sale yet?"

http://www.ultimateplush.com/product_detail?id=1207

Pins for trade!
  • Options
    SilvertwinnSilvertwinn Going on 40. "Get off my lawn!"Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm gonna try and convince a co-worker to pick up my lunch today because I would be heartbroken if the sales opened when I was walking down the street.

Heaven forbid that you'd be singing "Doo wa diddy diddy dum diddy doo".

I really hope someone gets that. :smile:

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Today's thoughts:

http://www.ultimateplush.com/product_detail?id=1207

$200?!

#shiftyeyes

I'll take two.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    tea_birdtea_bird Tequila Se'lai Registered User regular

Heaven forbid that you'd be singing "Doo wa diddy diddy dum diddy doo".

I really hope someone gets that. :smile:

Us youngin's aren't completely unaware of older musics. Wait. I'm going on 26. I'm leaving my youngin days.

To be fair, I have a smart phone if that does happen.

Twitter: @tea_bird
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Can't really get too worked up about the Club PA early purchase thing -- well, other than chuckling at them thinking the news would never get out.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

Bless your heart, but that's 1/10 of my event budget XD I just really want these tickets to go on sale so I can concentrate on not screwing up my first SCA event. And go hunting for a new Princess Buttercup at second hand stores during daylight hours.

• Options
    captian54captian54 Vidographer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Gooooooooood Morning everyone!!!!!!! Is today the day? I have to take my Wife to the doctor today at around 8:30 PST and probably wont be back until around 10:30 - 11:00.

R3z3wlJ.png
    ZOHC4v.png
  • Options
    tinedizzletinedizzle Kelso, WARegistered User regular
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    jhangel77 wrote: »

It's not a competition and if you really are that pissed about it, then don't go. It's pretty sad when what was was something that PA is doing (PAX) is turned into something of a bloodsport. That anything that PA tries is thoroughly vomited on if it doesn't work as well as to be expected. This whole PAX thing was created for us and how are we thanking them, by badmouthing everything they do? That has to be frustrating for them.

Seriously. There will still be plenty of 4 day passes. The convention center holds what, 70,000 people? I doubt the Club PA people even put a dent in that number.
    For clarification, no, it does not. It holds something closer to 25000. The old 70000 number was turnstile for all three days, meaning a 3-day counted once each day. Not that it doesn't make your point about them not making a huge dent, but 4-day badges are probably closer to 10000-12000 in number. You also seem to have missed on the previous page someone specifically stating that they took full advantage of a gaping hole in the system.

they only sold 1500 4 day passes last year, thats why they were gone so fast

• Options

Bless your heart, but that's 1/10 of my event budget XD I just really want these tickets to go on sale so I can concentrate on not screwing up my first SCA event. And go hunting for a new Princess Buttercup at second hand stores during daylight hours.
    A minor character from HMS Pinafore?

• Options
    My audit is done and my calendar is wide open the rest of the day, so I now assume badges won't go on sale today.

Pins for trade!
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that there weren't nearly as many tickets sold this way as I'd feared, but I am glad they limited it to one. And I also hope that hackers didn't take advantage and grab tons themselves.

Anyone who wasn't Club PA wouldn't have been able to get the tickets anyway. Unless they can hack themselves into the database of Club PA members. It specifically says in the email people have posted that they have to pick up the ticket at PAX and they have to show ID. If anyone non Club PA bought one, I'm sure they are going to be SOL because I'm sure they are checking on who bought them, just as they check if anyone suspiciously buys more then the max during regular sales and cancels all their tickets.

The "special item" that was the Club PA pax ticket was up on the website days before that E-mail went out. The item itself made no reference to it being only Club PA. Also, that E-mail was not made public by PA. Anyone who found the item for sale would have no way to know they could not buy it. So if they cancel those tickets it would be because they want to, not because someone didn't follow the rules, which I am sure they have every right to do (and I personally hope they do).
    Another point is that because that item went up early, those that found it could have made the assumption it was for Club PA & signed up so they could buy a ticket with in the rules.

Here is a screen shot of the item before it was taken down.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Cant explain all the things
    PA is making me feel.
    My heart's in overdrive
    And khoo's behind the steering wheel.

Tix for youuuuuu.
    Tix for meeeeeee.
    Tix for youuuuu,
    God tix for you and me.

I believe in a thing called pax
    Just listen to the rhythm of my keys
    There's a chance he'll release them now,
    We'll be clicking till it says sold out.

I believe in a thing called pax.

I wanna f5 you
    Every hour
    Every minute
    Every day.
    I'm in a spin but tube said it's aokay

Tix for youuuuuu. ...

• Options
    gularsengularsen Registered User regular
    Juliet wrote: »
    I recently joined and didn't get the email. :-( I only have the $10 membership though, I bet the email went to people with the $30 membership.
    LetMeIn wrote: »
    I'm kicking myself for not being part of the PA club. I was waiting till after I got my pax badge and hotel set in stone to pick it.Just incase I had to spend more then expected.Thought maybe having the club pin would be good to have at pax(if they shipped them out in time). Darn you past self for not getting it

The email went to both the $10 and $30 just to clarify. Odds are it was a cutoff date or random selection.

• Options
    A minor character from HMS Pinafore?

Princess Bride-themed rapier tournament. Fighters must defend Princess Buttercup as they traverse the swamp and kill ROUS. Last year they used a teddy bear, this year a cow was requested. It's strangely hard to find a largeish stuffed cow.

Waiting for PAX tickets has meant that planning all this stuff has been somewhat difficult. Mostly due to the fact that I'm a night owl and I tend to just not sleep in case the tickets go on sale early >.>

• Options
    Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    I really hope it's today, but with that PAX Dev image telling them to book their hotel rooms by tomorrow makes me think the floodgates will be opened on Friday...

• Options
    HelljinHelljin Lake Forest ParkRegistered User regular
    Smudge2626 wrote: »

Robert Khoo is not an idiot.

No he's not, but he showed a lapse in critical thinking if he thought this would remain a secret.

PAX 2010 1-Day
    PAX 2011 3-Day
    PAX 2012 3-Day
    PAX 2013 4-Day
    PAX 2014 4-Day
    PAX South 2015 3-Day
    PAX Prime 2015 Monday
    PAX West 2016 Friday/Saturday/Sunday
    PAX West 2017 Friday/Saturday/Sunday
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I really hope it's today, but with that PAX Dev image telling them to book their hotel rooms by tomorrow makes me think the floodgates will be opened on Friday...

I'm still banking on a staggered release of PAX tickets and OnPeak. At least, fingers crossed for that.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
This discussion has been closed.